Does anyone suffer from hidradenitis supperativa?

That’s not a body hair issue, it’s a sweat gland issue. I had an rx for clindamycin gel which worked wonders but now that I dont I use regular acne creams and they help bring down swelling on the occasional cyst. Weight loss helps lower the chances of a flare up. I never had these when I was thin but gained 50 lbs and sure enough. I’ve cut back on dairy and red meat which helped a lot too.

2 Likes

I do and take a med for my arthritis that controls the outbreaks as well. Humera is fantastic. Hipacleanse on Amazon is a great cleaner when there’s an active hive. I’m sorry you struggle with HS :cry: I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hidradenitis+suppurativa&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

I know a few people who suffer with something similar, but it’s hit or miss depending on their diet and hygiene routine.

Get the surgery. I did and no more armpit issues

I have hs. I’ve had 3 surgeries because my drs said I had tracts since I was getting cysts so often. The surgeries did help because I get fewer infections. The infections CAN be triggered by stress (at least in my case I’ve noticed that’s a thing). Hibiclens is a great cleanser to use when you have a flare up, that or since it can be kind of expensive, antibacterial soap. Warm compresses (I’ve used a heating pad sometimes, but you REALLY need to be careful if you do that), and even though drs tend to hand out antibiotics like they’re going out of style, be cautious… Too many antibiotics can backfire on your body.

I do it’s not fun I kids work with it

I use clindamycin after i wash with hipacleanse and i finally was approved for humira after my 4th shot my skin started clearing up it was a miracle.

Hidradenitis Suppurativa Support Group is amazing for tips and help!

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Does anyone suffer from hidradenitis supperativa? - Mamas Uncut

I’ve had it for 15 years. I Use Jason deodorant teatree oil I’ve had no problems. Dr bronners tea-tree oil soap, Hibiclens soap. I use an electric razor but don’t shave too close to the skin. Definitely recommend a dermatologist. I get antibiotics and steroids shots in the flared up areas. I’ve Also taken spirolactone it helps with acne it works great.

How about laser hair removal? Could u do that?

My son was just diagnosed with it yesterday I want to learn everything I can about it.

And i thought this only happen to me

I have had HS a long time. I shave when the hair bothers me too badly. I usually leave my armpits alone, and shave them about once a month but make sure that I’m not flaring then. I make sure to use a moisturizing shaving cream and frequently change my blades which helps cut down on my general foliculitis. I also live in a hot and humid climate so I have gotten to the point mentally of comfort and HS prevention versus having leg hair in public. Sometimes I will opt for longer shorts so that I can avoid shaving above the knee and only shave my thigh area about once a quarter to help avoid friction issues.

Dye the hair fun colors. Own it. You’re beautiful and natural hair isn’t going to change that, but if you don’t like it, dye it. Purple armpit hair? Awesome!

5 Likes

I do. I’m stage 2. I also have PCOS and a whole mess of other health issues including diabetes. I’ve noticed that when I’m eating right, my flares stop and almost completely go away. Keto/Paleo/AIP have all helped my regression. Unfortunately, I’m going through a mental battle right now and I have a binge eating issue. A new flare has popped up and won’t heal. Back to being mindful of my food today. I’m worth it and so are you!

2 Likes

I’ve had it since I was 16 now I’m almost 36 everything doctors have gave me I had adverse reactions unfortunately :pensive: hopefully you have better luck it sucks alot

I get this and it get worse when I wear underwear I haven’t seen a doctor yet and got worse after I had my son

Change your diet. Avoid sugar, chocolate, starch, processed foods. I went from needing surgery to barely ever having flare ups

Thank you for sharing this. This sounds like what my 19 year old daughter is going through.

Had suffered for many years, stopped having flare ups after menopause but have aweful scars at least no more pain

1 Like

i do. Mines really bad right now due to stress. I’ve had it since I was 13. I just wear whatever, I mean you can’t help your medical conditions

Theres a lot of information about different treatments on youtube. Different doctors doing different things. I start accutane for it today (fingercrossed). Hopefully it helps.

I have had HS for at least 10 years however I only have issues on my inner thighs. Some people think it is a sweat gland or hair follicle issue, but I think for me it is more of a hormonal imbalance issue.

1 Like

Pretty sure this is what i have. Ive had cysts drained and packed so many times and they cant explain whats causing them. Ive found one body wash that seems to do best for smell and help to not irrate them

Girl, don’t even worry about what people think! My best friend doesn’t shave just cause she don’t feel like it lol. If people care what u look like that’s their problem, not yours. You do what u need to for you!

I have this as well, I had no idea what it was till I heard a Pandora ad a few years back. All the doctors have been able to tell me is that it’s because my pores are too small and when I sweat any dirt really clogs them. There’s supposedly a pill you can take when the flares start to calm them down but I haven’t tried it. Only thing that seems to help is if I notice I’m sweating a lot that day I try to at least wipe myself off and shower if I can. I know they said anything with fragrance in it can cause it to get worse as well. I’m so sorry I wish I had more info to help :disappointed: you’re not alone tho!

My daughter has it and we started using emuaid cream… it is an absolute game changer. Just apply when you feel a lesion developing.

1 Like

I have a mild case and this helps tremendously. I can’t remember the last time I had a flare up. You can get it from Walmart, Amazon, etc. Please try it! It may give you some relief. :black_heart:

2 Likes

I’ve had it over 15 years and more than 30 surgically removed. Mine has been ‘quiet’ the past few years because I wash with hibiclens and got rid of dairy in my diet.

Ok so this is going to sound strange but I just watched an episode of Dr pimple popper on this and if you look it up there may be some valuable info on it :heart:

Aerosol deodorant helps a lot to keep the armpit cyst gone for me. I do still shave though and haven’t noticed a difference. I use the harrys shave club and change the blade constantly. Might help some one else.

Is laser hair removal and option?

There is a hidradenitis supperativa support group on Facebook that would have all the answers you might be looking for. It’s so common more people have it than you would realize, some people even have it and don’t even know that it’s a ‘thing’ we need more people to be aware of these types of skin issues a lot of us deal with quietly not saying anything thinking no one else would understand but there are people everywhere that understand.

I don’t have a condition that causes me not to be able to shave (unless you want to class lazy in it :rofl:)

But my way of getting used to it was to point it out. “Oh my god my legs, I need to shave but I never have the time”
“Sorry about the hairy legs, I gave up caring a while ago” :rofl:
9/10 the other person whips up their leg and is hairy too and we leave it at that- otherwise it still gives me that piece of mind that I’ve addressed it so no one else feels the need to even continue thinking about it

Can you do laser treatments?

HIDRADENITIS SUPPURATIVA UK & IRELAND SUPPORT GROUP join this group :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I developed this when I was 12. During my teenage years it was horrible after 19 it calmed down. I’ll get little a cyst every couple months under my underarm

I had no idea what this even was, but after looking at the pics, I’m almost 100% sure I have it! I’m calling a dermatologist tomorrow for an appointment.

I have the condition and i found lavender and tea tree oil i rub it on the cyst 3 to 4 times a day and it started shrinking a huge cyst i had on my under belly it was gonna tunnel and it disappeared withing days no scars nothing i live by it now

Beard trimmers help keep things “tamed” and some use a men’s electric shaver to a closer touch. I know it’s painful and exhausting!

2 Likes

There is an HS support page here on Facebook that has so many tips and tricks to manage HS. After my diagnosis in november I found this group and they have been very supporting and helpful.

Make sure to see and endocrinologist to ensure no underlying insulin resistance as this can worsen cyst formation and frequency. I have had so many patients with this that once we control their underlying insulin resistance the cysts are virtually nonexistent as well.

My bff of 30 yrs has HS. Her frs used to wick her spots … And it made hers spread more. But she can shave. There’s fb support groups if you look them up.

I’m not familiar with this condition. Does this also make you unable to use something natural like the sugar “wax” or baking soda paste? Being hairless is a societal expectation. You don’t have to comply.
Personally I’ve gotten to a place that I don’t care. But at my age my hair is not as course as it used to be.

1 Like

Yes I have it. It started when I was 9. I’m 41 now. Don’t shave, don’t wax. Trim with scissors. Tank tops no longer an option in public. TEA TREE OIL IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

I feel the pain ladies I’ve have so many drained get knocked for each procedure almost died once when i had an asthma attack while trying to remove the breathing tube… last time I had seven of then drained … Very sick from them not nice at all

Yes and i have had cysts surgically removed as well but if it bothers you that bad just clip your under arm hair. I shave from the knee down never above the knee and I use hibiclense to wash in. Also your diet plays an important factor. I use a prescribed ointment that I swab in both nostrils twice a month, since that is how bacteria enters you body according to my Dr. Also I incorporate tumeric into my diet which is an anti-inflammitory. I would much rather have body hair as to have cysts that must be surgically removed.

African black soap and cutting back on sugars and starchy foods helps, use lemon and honey on the high friction areas a couple times a week to thin the hair

Antibiotics…I’m on one 2x a day. Haven’t had a breakout since. Go see your dermatologist

What about a close clean with those electrical razors?

I do. Started a medication called spironolactone.

There’s a lot of Facebook supposrt groups that are very private, I definitely recommend checking them out they are ALOT if help

Use a mens close face shaver.

I have HS. Find a soap that works for you. I use Dr. bronners hemp soap. I like the peppermint one. And hibiclens on the bad areas. Shower everyday. Multiple times a day if you need to. Do not skip a day. Especially if your sweaty. And figure out your triggers. For me it’s hormonal. For others, its certain foods. Wear clothes in areas that can chafe. If you have insurance, see a dermatologist and they can help suggest things.

Betadine helped my arm pits. When I quit using deodorant and antiperspirant, they pretty much went away.:confused:

I worked in dermatology for almost 10 years. For mild cases there’s a medicated deodorant wipe you can use. I’m sorry I forgot the name of it. But for more severe cases we would put the patients on Humira if they were healthy besides the HS. If it’s really bad and bothering you, I would really recommend going to a derm office to talk about it. I hope you’re able to find relief :black_heart:

Laser hair removal and Humira injections for the HS.

PHR! (Permanent hair removal.) my grandmother does this for a living :sparkling_heart:

Emily Downing Yami Colon THIS and read some of the comments !!!

2 Likes

Jodi Redenbaugh Malin

HS Women’s Support Group

Tiffany Merritt might be worth reading.:pray:

1 Like

Join Hidradenitis Suppurativa Support Group

I love how people are starting to share this disease with the world! It needs attention. :heart: I, too, am suffering from HS and have since the age of 16 (42 now). Thankfully only stage 1. I just found this support group with over 55k members!! They are wonderful and give all kinds of advice. :heart:

There are fb support groups for this and you’ll get lots of good answers there

How did you all get diagnosed? Did this start gradually? I notice this in my arm pits but didn’t know there was anything to do

I do, stage 3. There are many support groups on Facebook!

Me. Use the antibacterial gold dial soap yes I know it isn’t the pretty smelling stuff we want to use but since I started using it I haven’t gotten any sores