Does it get better? What do I do?

I am a mom of a very soon to be 13 yr old. So my venting is. That I am currently out of work due to an Injury. I have been out for over a month and I have had absolutely no income. I was told by doctors I’d need to find a different career due to the extent of my injury . I have been applying to job after job after and have interview after interview and have gotten absolutely nowhere. Right now I am completely at my lowest. I am now unable to pay any bills this month and this is truly bothering me as I am not one to ever miss a payment. I can’t take sitting home anymore. Can’t take not having any money. I can’t sleep at night because im stressing to the max. It just seems when things go sour for me they go horribly wrong and I end up in a gutter that I feel I will never come out of. I feel like a horrible non providing mother to my son. And it’s even more devastating that he is having to witness me going through this. I have completely shut up and shut down. I no longer talk to nobody. I never leave my house other then appointments and interviews. I am seriously just at my lowest ever just waiting to see if I ever get a rainbow in the end… sorry for venting here. Had no1 else to vent to.

140 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Does it get better? What do I do? - Mamas Uncut

Are u in Canada? Can u fe for sickness benefits ?

Have you applied for TANF? Maybe try SSI if the injury is disabling you from finding work in your field of knowledge…

If you’re in the US make sure you apply for any aid you can get, LIHEAP (for gas and electric payments), SNAP benefits. Local churches and salvation army are also great resources, and your local food pantry.

1 Like

When my oldest was 5 I had a one year old and a new born. I moved to a new state and was out of work for a year because I couldn’t find a job. Having no money and using vouchers from the city to pay my rent and food stamps I had to sit my daughter down and explain to her that I wasn’t going to be able to get her anything for her sixth birthday. She was the most understanding child and I was actually more upset than she was. She’s gonna be 15 Saturday and has watched me struggle more than I’d like to admit. But she’s also watched me succeed. My two youngest as they’ve gotten older have no clue what we’ve gone through but watch me work hard for everything. I honestly think it’s ok for a child to see some of the struggle as well as the come back because it makes them more humble and grateful for what they have and what you provide. It teaches them that no matter how hard it is you never give up. While you’re looking for work Apply for any and all assistance in your area even if you think you won’t qualify because they will tell you programs that you can qualify for. Keep your head up and take it one day at a time. Good luck

8 Likes

Was it a work related injury? If so make sure you file a workers comp claim. In the meantime reach out to any social service programs in your area to help you out until you get back on your feet. TANF, SNAP. Salvation Army, local churches.I’ve been there, I was hospitalized for all of Feb and March 2018 and couldn’t work for 6 more months after that. Hang in there it will get better.

1 Like

Go file for unemployment, then file for food stamps. Find you someone to talk to before you cave in! Go to food banks. You are not the first person this has happened to. Go to your church. There is nothing wrong with asking for help. Someone will know if a job somewhere that you can do!

2 Likes

There are side jobs like instacart, gh, ue, doordash, dog walkers , go into fb groups and advertise that you looking for work

3 Likes

Apply for disability.

Unemployment an option?
Food stamps asap along with utilities help and even rent. Call 211 for info on your local help. But I’d go to government center and apply for everything. They can expedite

3 Likes

Staying at home in itself can cause depression. Stress makes it even worse. Obviously you have to figure something out for your finances but in the meantime make sure you’re doing things for your mental health. Play board games with your kiddo, go for a walk with the kid, etc. Use the time you have at home to bond with your kid. That might help with some parts of it

1 Like

Apply for assistance and communicate with your utility companies and landlord/mortgage company. If this isn’t a pattern for you, they will be willing to work with you as long as you communicate. In the mean time, apply for any and all assistances that you can… that’s what they’re there for… people who have worked and paid taxes and fall on hard times. Not sure where you’re located, but I’m in MD and here we have food stamps, medical assistance, energy assistance and rental assistance. We also have agencies that help you find a job. So check into your state/counties assistance programs. Also, look into temp/placement agencies for jobs. It may only be temporary, but it’ll get you working until you find something else.

1 Like

Maybe work from home jobs I may be able to get you a list hrly

I am so sorry you have experienced this. Have you thought about a work at home career. Check LinkedIn for their list. Those are safe companies to work for…no scams. Best wishes to you. From the sound of your post you have been strong and diligent in your quest to survive for both you and your son. You have what it takes to do this once again. Please, if you do decide to try the work from home let us know how you are doing :heart:

1 Like

Did the injury occur at work. You should be getting workers compensation. Depending on location there are many other jobs you can look into. Indeed is a miracle worker. I’ve found several jobs in there and started the next day

1 Like

Go to a temp agency they will help you find work.

5 Likes

There’s a lot of great advice on here.
Utilize nearby food banks and apply for assistance through your state. File for unemployment if you are no longer working.
Talk to your creditors and utility companies about your situation.
This is just a big bump in the road and will only be temporary if you keep trying and don’t give up.
Keep up on your mental health with your doctor. Even try meditation and breathing techniques to help you relax daily. Stay hydrated. It’s ok for your son to see you struggle — since he’s old enough to understand a lot of it, it’s how you communicate everything going on —opposed of taking it out on him (I’m not saying that you do at all).
The very best of luck to you and him. :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Unemployment. Disability (takes a long time to qualify though usually), foodstamps, TANF, St.Vincent usually helps with bills, there are usually local places that help pay bills in situations like this. Call around. Also temp agencies will have you working somewhere within a week usually. I’ve been where you are. It put us behind for an entire year. We are still catching up on everything but it will work out…

2 Likes

Suck it up you have an injury try healing that rather than crying like a little bitch your not the only person struggling for money in the world p.s ban me aw u want Truth hurts

Apply to be a waitress. You can make really good money with flexible hours. Many people with degrees choose waiting tables over their field because money is better.

Did you have short and/or long term disability through work? File for any benefit program you can think of as well as unemployed (although unemployment said my couldn’t collect with restrictions in his work ability from a work related incident, so I don’t know how that works where you are.)

MAMA…do you really think any of the companies you pay bills to cares at all about you? They don’t. Hold your head up high…Proactively call the companies you owe money to and find out how long of an extension you can get. For utilities, do some research and find out who will pay those bills for you. For food; get on food stamps. That’s what the program is there for. IF you need welfare, get it. This stupid society we live in only protects the rich, and the design is flawed. There are rent programs now with the Biden admin that are fairly easy to apply for. Then, don’t settle for a job you hate. Find a job you want or go back to school for training. There are a lot of options and there is NO shame in getting the help you need. Blessings mama. It sucks right now, but there is still light at the end of your tunnel.

3 Likes

Pull your self up momma, show your child how hard you are trying to make this work…we all have ‘downs’, try to find someone to share your ideas with…you got this

1 Like

SSI , foodstamps , cash assistance

5 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1601010893460272/permalink/3250900205137991/

Check out the work at home lounge (WAHJobQueen) it’s a group on here that shares jobs that would be easy for you hope this helps… it has helped me and was recommended to me by my therapist

1 Like

Injury!!! Get a lawyer ASAP!!! Know your rights!!!

I have been in similar situations, please MOMMA. Do things with your son! Movie he likes, card game, board game, puzzle, a walk. ANYTHING. It will do wonders for you BOTH. He needs you for so much more than money! Please, if you haven’t already reach out for emergency resources💙 something will come through!

3 Likes

Depends on your injury…start a cleaning business.

1 Like

Im a stay at home mom, and I agree,it sucks not having money. I’m waiting to be able to buy a laptop and wifi them I’ma try to find an online job. My hubby is the only one working and I see it’s taking a big toll on him and it hurts my heart. My kids don’t understand it, but they know we’re stressed. My oldest is only 7… Living paycheck to paycheck is hard and deciding what bills to pay …

I’m praying for you and yours

U could apply for SSDI if u can no longer do your job due to health reasons. In the interim u could apply for disability in your state.

This to shall pass momma! Don’t ever forget how amazing you are!!! You can turn this around, let him see you Fall, but also let him see you get back up and remember who the Fu k you are!!! Adjust that crown :crown: on your Head! You are worth more than you know and think!!!

3 Likes

Apply for SSI. It will take you months (like over a year) to get it. But they pay you back to your first application. So keep appealing. If you start over you don’t get that back pay. Right now apply for state disability, SNAP, etc at your local DHHS office. Apply for rental assistance too. That also takes a long time. Sometimes years. Honestly if you become homeless your chances of getting assistance goes up.

Contact the Social welfare office You should be entitled to draw your illness benefit on the money that you paid into your stamps when you were working Of course you are entitled to money in those circumstances Hope everything works out well for you

What about door dash??

Breathe, you will get through this

There are many sources available to you, depending upon your needs. You dont say what State you live in, but each State has programs set up for struggling parents. Food can be gotten from the FOOD BANK. Interfaith Ministries has food and will pay your utilities and rent. Faith Mission will provide food and help make payments for utilities, also. Go to large Churches, in your area. They have a benevolent fund for families needing help. Go to your local Human Resources or it might be called Community Action for help. Get food stamps. TANIF. There is all kinds of help for single moms! Get started. Look at bulletin boards at grocery stores for jobs. Go online at local library, if you have no internet or access to internet and look online for jobs. Temporary Job Service Centers. They can find you a job and after a short period of time, your employer could hire you on, as a permant employee. Jobs are available EVERYWHERE!! Employers are screaming for workers! You should be recieving child support from the child’s father. Call Attorney General ( its free) to get child support payments. Your child deserves this and the father should be paying for his support! Social Services can direct you to free services available to you. Dont give up…get STARTED!

3 Likes

Idk if you believe in astrology but as of the 15 of Jan until the 25 is the mercury retrograde. It messes with everything going on in the world (maybe Google it to get a better understanding). Keep trying but you will likely have better luck once this passes. Stay strong girl. No one’s perfect and life happens to us all. Hope everything works out dor you sooner then later

1 Like

Prayers Mom! It WILL get better!:heart::pray:

Show your son how strong people handle stress. Yes the melt down, get stressed, go inwards… but… they also don’t give up, call in ALL their resources…and call on all their creativity to get things done. You will get it figured out… believe… your answer is just waiting for you to find it… :hugs::hugs::pray:

1 Like

Apply for disability.

1 Like

I do t quite understand why you can’t find a job. Where I live there are help wanted signs everywhere.

1 Like

Please get some meds for depression… There seems to be a lot of jobs to work remotely… I hope maybe one of these types would work
Out for you

Hang in there, Momma! I am struggling as well, being down with COVID. I won’t have a paycheck for nearly a month. However, there are programs out there to help those of us that need it. Call your local social services office. I know - the stigmata of having to accept help from a state sucks. But, if it helps to get you through this struggle, it’s worth it. It doesn’t mean you are a bad mom… you are far from it. Just keep positive and you will get through. Praying for you in Oregon!

3 Likes

Best advice I can give you is to reach out to Jesus…ask him to forgive you from your sins…ask him to come into your heart…reach out to a church to help you worship Him…I was divorced leaning on only 400 a month…God had to take me to the bottom to bring me up…finally child support started and I went back to college to get a degree …got a housing loan…drove one hour each way to school…tried to have most of my classes in two days…I had major pain … Raised two teenagers…became youth leader in church…once I got my degree I did foster care for trouble teens…God took my despair and made life glorified in His name

14 Likes

Is there no government aid where you live? There has to be something

1 Like

Pray! Reach out to places like salvation army, or a church for help with bills. Sign up for food stamps.
Trust me I been at this lowest point where you’re at now, I prayed and reached out for help till I was able to do it on my own.
I’m praying for you :pray::heart:

5 Likes

Lots of places are hiring for work from home

2 Likes

Apply for EDD wishing you the best to come…prayers :pray:

Amazon is hiring for at home workers! A lot of jobs you can do from home, just have to have a laptop but even some companies provide that as well. If you enjoy children do inhome childcare through DSS and set your own hours, pay, ect… Let your child see you through It all and let him watch you rise from it all. Children need to know life isn’t all roses and you have to work your butt off to achieve what you want. I’m speaking from experience I was in the same position when I had my first son and I hid nothing from him! He saw me at my lowest and watched me build everything back up so we had everything wanted! He’s now 24 and works his butt off and takes nothing for granted! On the other hand his 13 yr old brother has never seen the lows and is a spoiled brat! (yes my fault too) He thinks life owes him something bc he’s never did without! Seek out God in all aspects he will provide for his children! I believe wholeheartedly bc without him no telling where I’d be! Stand Up dust yourself off and remind yourself who your doing this for, I promise it does get better! Sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom to know what you want in life! Government aid is there to help in situations like this. Take everything you can and when you can get back on your feet Pay it Forward! Lord knows your struggles and your strength, Lean on him!

If I listen to what the drs told me to do I would be homeless and would have lost my kids. I went through cancer and multiple surgeries as a single mother. No income but my own. They say be off 6 weeks I was off 1 week next surgery off 10 weeks I took off 2 weeks. I was in pain yes, sick yes but I have to for my kids. You know yourself the best. You do what you can feel you can. Apply for assistance. Depends on state u can apply for rent help through COVID help also.

3 Likes

Get Medicaid if you don’t have health care, and get screened for depression ASAP. Contact the county/social worker and get benefits including housing if you need. Get in a support group for people who suffer from depression, unemployment, and/or disability.

Network to find jobs. Maybe you can get free or low cost training to qualify for a new, in demand career. There may also be some jobs set aside for disabled or older workers. You could possibly train to be a tax preparer. Could you be a substitute teacher? They’re desperate for them. Let people on here know what you’re looking for & what location and maybe we can help.

Workers comp? Unemployment? Pandemic aid? Disability? Food banks? School feeding and supplies programs? BTW, they always deny disability benefits on the first try. Just be prepared to keep at it until you are approved for payments. Where is your son’s dad in all of this? Shouldn’t you be getting child support at least?

Most places have assistance programs (utilities, rent, medical care), but you have to ask. If you are prescribed drugs, see if the doc can give you free samples, coupons or discount cards. There are new subsidies for Obamacare plans, but it sounds like you and your son could get Medicaid at no cost.

Your son will see your struggle and eventual triumph and be proud of you and know he can survive a lot too. Can he help by mowing lawns, shoveling snow, babysitting? Ask your friends and other family members for help.

Meditation programs might help you and your son and also Tai Chi, the yoga that focuses on breathing techniques or chair yoga if you can’t do regular Hatha yoga, guided relaxation and other stress relievers might help. You Tube, DVDs and materials from the library and programs on TV can show you how. In person teachers can modify programs to work around your particular injuries. My fave for easy movement: Tai Chi Chih - Joy Through Movement - YouTube

Know that the only thing that’s certain is change. Things will get better. And I’m so sorry you were injured so severely. Sending hugs, encouragement and positivity to you and your son. I’ve been unemployed and depressed with a child to care for, and I made it out of the pit, and you can too.

1 Like

I’m thinking Amazon is hiring for online and home employees. Do you crochet or craft. Sell what you can make. Don’t come down on yourself. This is will improve. This is just a low point. He loves you and needs you to reassure him this as well. Talk to him. He’s just as scared and I’m sure wants to work too to bring in money and help somehow. Just don’t get depressed. That is just a fall into a world you don’t want to go. Take vitamin D3 every day. My husband lost his job and our insurance. He started talking about suicide and I found a book in our new rental that explained Vitamins. Vitamin D3 is a natural antidepressant.
Have you thought about selling stuff on line. Like Shaklee sells Vitamins.
Mary Kay
Avon
It may seem useless but it’s better than nothing.
Talk to your son. He needs you. God bless.
Reach out to a local church or human resources can help you get on your feet.

2 Likes

Where do you live at?

Have you reached out to the community help lines in your area?

Do u have door dash in ur area? Its so easy and i just do it for extra income

Churches or any township… Is there any illinois valley near u? They pay electric, rent, water ans gas for a new jobs.

Search for remote customer service representative positions for health insurance company’s. They’re all hiring. And they pay decent. No experience necessary.

Go to the township you live in. They will help. Don’t just sit and wait, get out there and see whats available. They’ll direct you as to where to apply for food stamp. They can help pay utility bills too.

Stay string for your son…its rough enough for him at 13