Does it sound like my mother in law is playing favorites?

Maybe she is making him something and it isn’t finished. Sounds like you don’t like her anyway and just need justification. It was a gift.

No! no favoritism! Especially if this is only incident… Maybe she is knitting something for your son as we speak! Relax mama

She also may have taken his age as a factor . try letting her in.you get a better result when you show kindness rather than a critical spirit. .

2 Likes

Unless this is a regular occurrence, I wouldn’t think it’s favoritism. Sometimes we manage to find/make something for one child but haven’t found the “just right” item for the other child yet. I don’t think it’s that serious.

I would have a heartfelt talk with her. Ask her if she favors one over the other or if this was just because baby is too young. Let her know favoritism will not be acceptable and both of your kids will need her unconditional love that only a grandma has to offer. Let her know she is greatly appreciated as grandma by both of your kids even if she prefers girls to boys, if that is the case. But find out first if it is favoritism and not anything else.

Just be happy she knitted anything at all. Wait another year or so and if her trend continues - just say something to her.

I’d let it go for now if this is a one and only incident.
If it happens again, then I’d say something.
A lot of people on here are right about hand made gifts taking time. My mother crochets so sometimes she has something done for one kid and not the other but she waits till she has something for each of them to hand it out.
Also if she only made something for one kid she will buy something for the other kid

1 Like

She is a little older so maybe she just thought she would enjoy it more. Also knitting takes time who knows next month she might show with something for the baby boy. I’d say don’t over react and see what comes in the next year. If you still see favoritism then nicely sit with her and have a chat.

I have 2 sons. My in-laws would periodically give things to my children at separate times. They would purchase things and depending on which child it interested most got the item. I never made a big deal out of it so my children didn’t pay attention to it. As my children grew older we did have a few issues. I adored my in-laws and always felt that it was my husbands place to talk with his parents. It was much more comfortable for them. The best thing for your children is to show them love and a united family.

Mother in Laws are a tricky situation.
I would Thank Her for the Little a girl’s
Cape.
Then with some time passing, would mention how adorable it would be if your son had a Matching one!!

Perhaps she’s waiting for him to be older before she starts making him things. If it bothers you that much, ask her

I might let this one time slide. If it happens again I would ask her about it. You definitely don’t want this to be her norm.