Does labor get easier the more kids you have?

I am being induced next Thursday, July 15th (39 weeks), this baby number 6. I have three living induced with all 3 of them. #4 was a DNC, #5 was induced stillborn. I’m wondering if labor is gonna be worse or easier; people tell the more kids you have, the less painful and shorter labor is…. Is that true? Obviously, this isn’t my first rodeo but definitely curious as to what you mommas think….

25 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Does labor get easier the more kids you have? - Mamas Uncut

There’s no answer to that. They’re all different.

1 Like

I’ve only had two but my first was 5 hours induced my 2nd was 3 hours naturally and I found the 2nd easier because I knew what to do and had more of an understanding on things

Every labor is different but pushing effectively is more of an art than a science and you do get better at it with practice.

1 Like

Every labor is different. I have three kids. My second was the easiest. My third was pretty painful.

Nope
Each is different. I had 5, 2 natural w/o pitocin & 3 w/pitocin & epidurals. Even knowing what to sorta expect didn’t help. Just be prepared for anything

I’ll say yes, I went from 24 hrs, 12 hrs, 6 hrs and the 3 hours with my last.

I am on baby number 8. My last one was the very worst.

3 Likes

It never got less painful (Momma of four) it got shorter . 22 hours first one 8 hours last one.

1 Like

Every delivery is different… none of mine was the same

It’s gotten easier every time for me. Induced for all 3.

1 Like

I feel they are all different and just depends on your body and the baby ! Prayers for a safe and healthy delivery

1 Like

My induction was absolutely terrible. Pitocin wasn’t my friend and my son arrived after three days of labor. My second was a natural birth but she was only 18 weeks. Again, I laboured for 2 days, but I didn’t want drugs. Number three was super quick. I had a sweep at almost 40 weeks after being at 4cm over 2 weeks, I begged for no pitocin and she arrived within hours. So. All different!

3rd was by far the worst for me lol

1 Like

I have had four kids and each time it was quicker lol my last I had no pain meds and I was great the healing process was much better

All 4 of mine have been 4 hours total from induction to delivery. My 5th should be the same.

I had 6 vaginal. First was tough. All back labor. Epi 9 lbs 3 oz and a full cut episiotomy. Second was a little easier. No Epi. 8 lbs 12 oz. Third was faster than 1 and 2. No Epi. 8lbs 12 oz. Fourth flew out of me no Epi. Just made it to hosp. 7 lbs 7 oz. Baby 5 was tough. Baby was posterior. No Epi. 8lbs 10 oz. Baby 6 to be honest was hell. I was in hard labor for a while. Baby was posterior. I thought for sure 6 would fly out. Nope. No Epi. But finally came with some hulk like pushes. 9 lbs 12.6 oz SO DONE!! But based on my first 4 kids it progressively got easier the last two Idk. To be truthful I expected them to be a breeze. Everyone is different though.

All are different. But in my case the more I had it was easier… baby 1 i was induced at 42wks.(2009 8.6lb) So that was long. Like 18ish hours. But ne who baby 2 (2011 7.13lb) I pushed twice and she was out (like I wasn’t even at hospital for 13 mins and she was out.) And now for baby 3 (2019 7.13lb) well I delivered her myself in my driveway. Fully clothed and everything…

Baby 2 contractions started at like 4am… I stayed home as long as I could. She was born shortly after 1130am.

Baby 3 contractions started mid afternoon… she was born at 715 I think. We just went with the phone call to 911. (The hospital and such did)…

And I’m pregnant for baby 4.

Both mine were easy. My first was 10 hours. My second was the easiest though my water broke I had her an hour later haha

Absolutely not each is going to be different. My first was medium hard no
Pain meds 8 hrs second kid was labor at home 6hrs got to the hospital dropped him in 30
Mins no pain meds… 3rd was 24.5 hours no meds and the worse of them all!

1 Like

My first was 7.5hours from waters breaking I had pre eclampsia
My second was 4.5 hours from waters breaking however I laboured at home for 12 hours prior
My third was 45minutes from waters breaking however laboured for 4.5hours
My fourth was 45mins from waters breaking however he was sunny side up by far my worst labour was so painful had epi with the first two but not the 3rd/ 4th

Mama of 4… first one was traumatic and 27 hours LONG. Long term effects of the epidural, 27 years later and I have horrendous migraines and sciatic damage. I also gained 100 lbs to have a 7 lb baby lol 2nd one was 5 hours, 3rd baby was 10 lbs and 2 hours of labor and THE EASIEST OF ALL… 4th baby was about 45 min in the hospital and boom she was there. The last 3 were all natural as I was seriously traumatized by the whole epidural process of the first one.

I have 5 kids and my last labor was the worst. It also took longer than all of my others except my very first. All very different though.

1 Like

Each one of my labors were shorter than the previous but they each got more painful than the last also🤷🏼‍♀️

I have 6 to and honestly they were all over the place for me. not sure if it helps but I had all natural no drugs for any as well and 3 times my water broke on its own at home/outside. For me my worst labor and and longest was my 4th easily over 24 hrs however it could of been due to his size he was 10lbs9oz born at 38 weeks he was faced up as well. my other kids were still 8-9lbs though! however for my last my 6th it seems like it went super fast from when I went to a 4 I got in the tub after I was in the delivery room and just had to get out 5 mins later and I just rolled on to the bed and had to push nurses delivered him!

Baby #1 10hrs- c sec, #2- 6hrs- natural, #3 5hrs-natural, #4 1.5hrs natural… 1.5hrs was way to fast, no time to process mentally and burn was more intense, no time to scream epidural!! :sweat_smile: Baby #2&3 were much more doable even without delivery drugs onboard…

It depends on each person. In my case each labor was shorter and easier but it’s not that way for everyone. I hope in your case it is :blush:

1 Like

Baby#1. 39 weeks - 12 hours of labor
Baby#2. 36 weeks - 4 hours of labor
Baby#3. 33 weeks - 9 hours of labor

Pregnant with # 4

Good luck

My first was induced and was pretty intense, still only about 16 hours total.
Second was natural and was easy peasy. 3 hrs active labor, 10 min pushing, and no tearing.
Being induced is the hard way to go it seems.

1 Like

Mine got harder each time. I was induced for all three. My first came along very soon after they broke my water. My second was an emergency c-section, which happened because my water was broken too soon. I had silent labor for both and barely felt anything, until it was time to push with my first one. My third I went to the hospital because my water broke on it’s own. Extreme labor pains that lasted 40 hours. I was miserable until I finally agreed to the epidural, then it got things moving very quickly.

1 Like

Had 8 and induced with all of them. Each was different. My easiest labour was with my twins, 3rd pregnancy. 4th pregnancy, 5th baby was by far the hardest. Baby 6, 7 and 8 were a breeze.

I have 6 kids. Labours were not easier, however they were shorter. 5 and 6 both delivered without epidural because there just wasn’t time. Labour with 6 was probably an hour from start to finish. It went so quickly.

1st-no pain meds 4 hour labour 7.4
2nd-no pain meds 3 hour labour 7.4
3rd- Epidural 9hours worst ever 8.2
4th- no pain meds 3hour labour 7.4

I’m due on Thursday as well waiting to hear from my doctor for induction. This is my third and my second I had to be induced and I liked it better than my first lol my first came early but the experience was definitely different and definitely shorter

1 Like

My first was awful and long my second was long but short and easy delivery my third was long painful labor that resulted in a c section

Every labour is different and I would try not to compare them all. Good luck on your birth!

My labour’s have all come on naturally, but they have gotten longer and stronger with each pregnancy. Unfortunately for me, that’s just how the last 3 have went. Due with #4 any time, and praying for a quick and easy delivery but not counting on one.
Hopefully for you, it does get easier and quicker. Good luck :purple_heart:

I have 4, and the last was the hardest. My first was days of slow, mild labor. Was admitted to the hospital on the afternoon of the third day, and the contractions stopped overnight. Next morning the Dr broke my water and he was born in 4 hours, no meds. 2nd and 3rd are twins. Water broke at 1am and they were both born by 6am. Again no meds. The 4th was 10 days “overdue,” so I was induced. 10 hours of painful labor, but again no pain meds. If I ever had to do it again, I would avoid the pitocin. I think it made the contractions harder to manage.

No. It’s the same and different every time…

My 3rd and last was the hardest labor

My labor with #2 lasted much longer than #1 but #3 came out like she breezed through the drive-thru…. Doesn’t always matter the order, every pregnancy is different even in the same woman.

It was for me. 24 hours, 6 hours, 5 hours.

Hmm- I think being induced rather than going into labor naturally makes things longer (and harder!) I’ve got five- my third and fourth were quickest and easiest. My fifth was the only one we induced and was almost as long as my first labor and definitely had some scary moments! Is there a reason you can let labor start on its own? If I had to do it all over again, I’d preferred to wait for him to come when ready!

Baby # 1 40 weeks 10 hours of labor
Baby # 2 40 weeks 7 1/2 hours of labor
Baby # 3 40 week 5 hours of labor
Baby # 4 39 weeks 10 hours labor
There is an age difference between the last 2 of 10 years. Also with my fourth when I got to the hospital I got pitocin ( water already had broken but did not have with the previous 3). Honestly my fourth was the hardest. When they have me the pitocin my BP bottomed out. They gave me 3 shots of medicine and I was 5 minutes from having an emergency C-section. Lucky with the last shot it came back up.

Yes in my experience its gotten easier. I had all 3 of mine without drugs all natural. Water birth is way easier then dry.

If you are completely relaxed it makes the labor go by way faster and in the water its easier to relax because all your body weight is suspended in the water.

Yea baby 6 was a short labor, but definitely my most painful labor and delivery. Even more painful than my 2 pitocin inductions (no epidurals).

1 Like

For me no. It’s not better or shorter. Each one is different and since my 6th was a stillbirth and emergency c-section I had another csection with my 7th. Healing from that csection was better than my emergency csection but was still worse than my vaginals. But my 4th was my longest labor induced. My cervix wouldn’t dilate so I needed a balloon which was the worst pain freaking ever for me. 36 hours labor. 12 hours with my 5th induced. My 3rd was my shortest. Oh and I hemorrhage. I was told you bleed more after every birth as well but I need extra medicine because I bleed even worse. I’ve had a few d&cs. Thankfully I didn’t need one after my csection but I did freak out the nurse. Apparently it was the worst she had s her whole 5 yrs nursing and I’m sitting there like honey that ain’t nothing.

Depends on the amount of MFS they give you, how ripe your cervix is, etc. I found my fourth the worst!

Not always true, but usually your body will go easier/faster because it has done it before. My first labor was not induced 36 hours, second was induced 6ish hours, third was under 5 hours induced.

No it doesn’t. My last one I had a lot of complications

No all mine have gotten worse each kid :rofl::roll_eyes:

Nope first bad second a easy 3 ehhhh ok 4 end in a c section everyone and EVERY delivery is different

1 Like

Number 6 pushed for over 2 hrs!!! Hardest…

I only have one but from reading all the comments Im hoping that with baby #2 it’s easy but the time of labour doesn’t really need to change. 6.5hrs from beginning to end.
My daugther was 2 days late and was in a hurry to get out that day.

I have 5, 2 of them were Induced. Even with the inductions they were the same length as my natural labors. All 9-10 hours total. I pushed the longestWith my first baby, I was induced due to preeclampsia and she wasn’t quite ready to come out. It was about nine and a half to 10 hours and I pushed for 1 hour and 40 minutes. The pushing ranged from 15-30 mins with the rest. Only had a epi with #3. I’d say they were all the same painful. But you forget once the baby is born :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have 4 my oldest was a long induced labor pain was bad but not extreemly. My 2nd was about 4 1/2 weeks early and she came pretty quick not much pain. My 3rd was super quick, walked in and had her with in 20 mins, again not bad pain. My last one too about 30 mins very mild pain felt absolutely great afterwords. I had the epidural with my first two and not with my last two and the last two were quicker, easier and way less pain.

I feel as though the more you have the more mentally prepared you aye. My 1st I was a mess it was a very straight forward birth. My 2nd was 5 years later so I wasn’t to bad but I definitely still panicked it was like having my 1st all over again lol. But my 3rd baby I went shopping got my phone fixed put my kids tosleep had a argument lol then gave birth in my driveway. My 4th Iaboured at home for 15 hrs went to birth unit I was 2cm dilated but midwife popped my waters and I went straight fo 9cm baby was born within 40mins

It was the case for me.
First, 42weeks. 7hrs
Second, 38weeks, and 2.5hrs
3rd and last. 40 weeks and 40min.

I was induced (Dr feared I wouldnt make to hospital) I cancelled 3 scheduled dates bc I was terrified from the stories of induced deliveries always longer and harder compared to natural.

Not always true… I had baby number 9 in March. It was my hardest labor yet.
I hope all goes well for you. Every time is different.

My got worse but I believe that was because I was out of shape. With my first it was easy, with my twins I was in the best shape of my life so easy but with pregnancy 3 and 4 it was just bad. With those 2 I got an epidural so that helped.

1 Like

nope not in mine. Had baby number 6 last October and it was 22hours labor :expressionless: I’ve noticed, both my induced babies were the longest labors. First one was 23hours.

The body sort of remembers and some say it gets easier. But every pregnancy is different and from all the other mom’s I’ve talked to it’s never the same or worse or better the more kids you have.

Nope, my last was by far the worst

I have had four, and it doesn’t get shorter or easier. I know it sounds cliche but each birth is different. My oldest was your typical first time birth, 30 hours or labor and moaning. My second was born 12 years later with ease. Water broke and and hour later he popped out. I was up walking an hour later. My next a year later took 10 hours but really no pain or discomfort. My last one at the age of 39, was my worst! My water was leaking and the doctor thought I’d had broke. She ended up coming out bag and all still in the sac with half the fluid. My service had flipped which means they should have done a c section but by the time they figured it out is was too late. It was a very messy, painful and horrible experience. First, second, last whatever… All pregnancies are different and all deliver is different.

For me yes.
Just have baby 6, my body knew what to do, I knew what to do and it was so much easier each time after number 1 lol :joy:

I had 3 kids, first one was 3 hour labour start to finish not painful enough for pain relief, 2nd was 1 hour labour start to finish no pain relief, 3rd 6 hour labour start to finish again no pain relief, so all very different with timing but none bad pain

Just had my fourth, it was brutal til I got epidural. Recovery was ok day 1 and most of today. Tonight, these contraction/cramping pains make me want more than the 1 motrin they gave me​:woman_facepalming::rofl:

First baby was induced and it took 30 hours before I could start pushing… pushed for 45 minutes… that was hard… second baby also induced, only there 7 hours before I was ready to push and pushed less than 15 minutes… way easier by FAR… my second was a bigger baby too.

No. The answer is no

1 Like

Well you’ve given birth 5 times. Has it been easier each time? In my expirence no. My first was my easiest. 12 hours from pitocin to baby. My 2nd was 3 days (lost track of hours it was horrendous). My 3rd was 4hrs labor, emergency c-section. Every delivery is different.

I was induced with my 2nd. Took 9 minutes from water being broken to her being born. I was 4cm when they broke my waters. Poor nurses got a hell of a fright :joy:

I have had four, and it doesn’t get shorter or easier. I know it sounds cliche but each birth is different. All pregnancies are different and all deliver is different from what I’ve experienced. I prayed with all of them it would be easier :joy::joy:

First kid was a very painful 18 hours in labor even with an epidural and recovery was a little rough. Second kid was only 4 hours and more painful as I did it all natural but I knew what to expect and could handle it better. Had no recovery. After 2 days I didn’t even feel like I just had a baby.

Sure. Eventually they just start sliding out.:roll_eyes:

No it’s not true. I was in labor for 22 hours with my first daughter and the pain wasn’t that bad as with my second. With my second I was in labor for 34 hours und pain was horrible. And everyone said oh the second one is going to be faster and easier :joy::woman_facepalming:t2:

Lol no not at all I’ve had 10 35 yrs of age

Every single mom, baby, and delivery are different, some can be easy, others hard. I am a mom to 12 (5 angel babies, 7 living) and it really varied

Everyone is different!!

I have had 4 c sections the first 3 in 3 years than a 5.5 year gap because of many losses and I tell ya it got worse with every one of them.
3 eptopic pregnancies 9 miscarriages. 4 live babies

It’s different each time, I’m on number 6 now first took 12+ hours had ventouse, 2nd was out in half an hour, 3rd was born on her sac then my placenta wouldn’t come out so had to have it taken out, 4th was induced, 5 was about 2 hours x

First my water broke, got to hospital at 9 am, major pain (I was huge, it was as just one long, endless cramp) until I got the epidural then aah! Began pushing at 5 pm, but tough to feel w epidural, did the wrong way. Pushed about 30 minutes (?) had an episiotomy then out. Somewhat painful recovery; he was a big baby (8 lbs. 13 oz.) & I was not a big person.

Second baby, labored all night from 10 pm, not too awful, contractions came & went, woke everyone up at 4 am when I couldn’t stand it anymore, contractions getting faster, no time for an epidural when I got to the hospital, worst pain ever when a giant contraction @ hospital finally broke my water. Nurses helped me breathe and hold on because everything wasn’t ready yet; then in delivery room one quick shot to dull pain at site for epidural, and she was out with one push at 7:30 am. Much faster & less painful recovery. She was 8 lbs. 4 oz.

Sending positive chi for a quick, easy and relatively painless labor, delivery and recovery. Congratulations! :heartpulse:

I’ve had 8 2 sets twins I found labour was quicker and recovery was quicker maybe because I had the rest till look after lol x

I’m not sure how it is with being induced, but my 1st daughter was a 23 hour labor, 2nd daughter was a 19 hour labor and I had 2 miscarriages after that, then my youngest daughter was a 40 hour long labor so not true for me :rofl: I went into labor naturally with all of them so I don’t know about induction!

I was in labor for 23.5 hrs with my 9th. Honestly it all depends on the baby

I honestly felt like it was a rollercoaster lol. I have three kids ages 5,3, and six months. My first two births were definitely a breeze. I would’ve stayed in labor forever with my son, my second labor. However. My most recent one was horrible. I had an epidural for all of my experiences and I am here to tell you when the epidural doesn’t take right, it’s worse than going natural. I felt like my left leg was going to explode. I couldn’t sit still. I almost pulled my catheter out because I was thrashing around so bad. I wanted to get up and walk around because the epidural was overwhelming on my left side and not at all on my right. It was the worst experience I have had being in labor. A student placed my first epidural. Then redid it. Then the practiced anesthesiologist came to help me and thank god for that woman because she finally listened to me and ended up getting me sorted. Either way though my third pregnancy was the absolute hardest on my body and has made me absolutely terrified of getting pregnant again. So I had a tubal. Since my third baby happened with a mirena iud.

1 Like

Iv had 4 natural births. My first 3 were fine but my 4th omg. Shes put me off ever having anymore. It was the worst labour ever​:joy::joy:

It’s suppose to according to the doctor because the “road map is already paved”. But each pregnancy is different. I was only in labor with my first for 4.5 hours and pushed less then five minutes. Currently pregnant with my second and I know it’s going to be a whole different show just by how different the pregnancy has been this far. Good luck momma! You got this!

I imagine it’s different for each one.

I mean the timing you give birth can get shorter therefore making it Abit easier but you’ll still feel the same pains etc my 2nd was a tad easier I had a water birth just wish I got in the pool sooner because it sped things up alot

Not sure about “easier” but my body prepared better each time( if that makes sense) ive stopped at 4 kids tho

I have had 4 pregnancies and my 1st was my easiest labor and delivery. My 2nd was DNC. My 3rd I was in labor the shortest but lost 2 liters of blood and nearly died during delivery. My 4th was my longest labor and delivery. So, it just depends of you and baby. Everyone is different.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Does labor get easier the more kids you have? - Mamas Uncut

No it doesn’t :joy:. My first was 4 hours, second was 7, over 24 hours for my 3rd, and 10-12 for my last one

I only have 2 but my 2nd was way longer and way more painful. 1st labor was 20 minutes from first contraction to him being on my chest. 2nd was 14 hours

Definitely not always the case! My first was around 5 hours. Second was less than two hours. My third….FOUR days of pitocin!!! I thought he was never coming out! Good luck!

My first was 10 hrs, second was 8 hours, third was 5 hours, and I’m due in 28 days with #4.

My 5 kid came at 37 weeks and. Was in labor. For bout 4 hours and he came on his own was 37 weeks and only 7 cm when he came out

My first was 18 hours of labor, 3 hours of pushing, and needed vacuum to get baby out.

My second was 3 hours from when they broke my water and baby out on push #2.

In my experience, it got easier.