Dreading Christmas, what do I do?

I brushed it off last Christmas. My boyfriend didn't get me anything for Christmas then ruined Christmas because he felt bad and had a fit.... then got me something a week later. Valentines day he had a fit because he waited till last min. Mother's day he didn't get me anything.(but we went flowers to his ex wife's mom and I bought his ex wife something for his kids to give her.) This Christmas same stuff is happening and he admitted last night he will be upset again since he didn't get me anything. We forgot to send his ex mother in law flowers and asked me if it was to late. I'm trying not to let it bother me. But it now hurts. He was supposed to help my daughter pick out a gift since she was bummed last year and she been hurting seeing his kids give their mom a gift.... but he put it off and I took her yesterday with his kids to pick out something little. I have explained to him even a little card would be nice but it's no care. And now that he is worried about his ex mother in law with flowers I'm hurt. Usually I don't care but it's just the fact he hasn't even thought about me is what hurts. Am I just overreacting. And yes we had a Christmas budget this year and I got him stuff in the budget range. I love Christmas but I am now dreading it.
205 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Dreading Christmas, what do I do? - Mamas Uncut

Doeshe have adhd? It really sound like that is a possibility.

1 Like

Thereā€™s really no excuse for his behavior. If he wanted to he would. Period.

23 Likes

Sounds careless and selfish to me

8 Likes

Tell him to set an alarm a week or two before the event to remember to go shop. Maybe this will help him remember.

1 Like

I think itā€™s nice he does that for his ex and their grandmotherā€¦ But there is no excuse not to do it for you.

12 Likes

Get him one small present. Do Not shop for any X. Go buy what YOU want wrap and put it under the tree. And when heā€™s upset because he didnā€™t get you anything, smile and say thatā€™s ok Iā€™m leaving up to Santa because I know how busy you are. Donā€™t make a fuss. Enjoy

10 Likes

Sounds like heā€™s playing games

16 Likes

Your not a priority Iā€™m sorry to say heā€™s a jerk shows his true colors wonā€™t change until u demand som respect for yourself get rid of him youā€™ll be better off

12 Likes

Donā€™t buy him anythingā€¦ and donā€™t buy his ex anything either. Take your daughter shopping give her some money and tell her to pick you something out.

33 Likes

Okay he procrastinates in hopes maybe youā€™ll just buy the stuff . And The fact that he is still buying his ex mother in law ANYTHING :triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post: he donā€™t buy for you donā€™t buy him shit

Tell him to grow the fuck up and stop buying shit for the ex in-laws. You and your/his kids come first

At this point I wouldnā€™t even do a gift exchange.

2 Likes

No you are not overreacting

3 Likes

Sounds like he is still hung up on the ex and does for exā€™s family more than for youā€¦Iā€™d say it is time to really have a sit down talk about it. Stop buying for him and donā€™t buy for any ex anything of his period. If he canā€™t be thoughtful to his current WHY is he so focused on his ex and exā€™s family??

12 Likes

Idk if this will help. But it REALLY helped my husband and I. We went through something similar. Now I have a wishlist on Amazon. A month before Xmas I send it to him. Then 2 weeks before I send it again and say ā€œit is 2 weeks until Christmas. Please donā€™t forget to look at thisā€ itā€™s worked 2 years in a row now. I know it seems like extra work but itā€™s better than being disappointed, and this year my husband even went off list and got me some awesome stuff I didnā€™t request. He said my list gave him inspiration

8 Likes

My husband never got me a gift for any birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas and motherā€™s day etc. I usually cried everytime. Until finally he surprised me yesterday with two lovely gifts. Although he wrapped them like 2 minutes before he gave them to me haha. Some men are like this, I am not saying that as an excuse though it just is what it is. I know my husband loves me, he just doesnā€™t like doing gifts.

Sounds like youā€™re an option not a priorityā€¦

7 Likes

People treat you how you let them treat you. You are not a priority.

4 Likes

Leaveā€¦actions speak louder than words.

6 Likes

Why do women stay in these type of relationshipsā€¦if your not happyā€¦get out!!! Or are you just desperate to have a man, which he is not!!! Or money, should be adult enough to be making your own.

7 Likes

Probably why heā€™s an ex in the first place!

2 Likes

Donā€™t give him anything so he can see how it feelsā€¦

2 Likes

He a dickhead and a straight up wanker.

Youā€™re not overreacting. Put in the same effort that he puts in which is nothing! Donā€™t buy him anything and do not buy his ex anything.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry youā€™re hurting!! You have every right to be upset. Christmas, birthday, Valentineā€™s Day, ect alllll land on the same day EVERY YEAR!! There is no excuse for him not to get you something, heā€™s had an ENTIRE year to get you a gift (even if he has to save, plan it out, or buy it early and hide it)

3 Likes

Sounds like your his side piece and heā€™s still in love with his ex.

5 Likes

The dude is a dumpster fire. Send him packing. He can hand deliver those goddamn flowers to the ex when he moves back in with her.

3 Likes

Married 30 years been together 33 years and have 3 kids. My husband and I have never really gave each other gifts at first it did bother me a little but the way I look at it is he works full time (I have never worked) pays all bills does things around the house and for me so that is my gift year around and I keep house clean cook etc for him and that works for us. So maybe look at what he does or how he provides for you instead of looking for a gift?

2 Likes

He sounds like a class act. Heā€™s not going to change. Either you do something about it finally or you continue to tolerate his behavior and quit complaining about it. Quit sitting around and letting the man make you feel like crap. There are plenty out there who wonā€™t do that

2 Likes

Heā€™s just cold and uncaring!!! Itā€™s not the ā€˜presentsā€™ ā€¦.it doesnā€™t have to break a bankā€¦ but people think of the other people they care for most!!! Find yourself a better partner that is into you and your family not his ex anything! Unless itā€™s ex AND everyone else!!!

10 Likes

The fact that he gaslights you and makes you feel guilty and in the wrong for his carelessness is honestly the biggest issue. Gifts arenā€™t important to everyone, but him being abusive because theyā€™re important to you is NEVER ok. This behavior in particular should never be tolerated, especially repeatedly. Heā€™s extremely emotionally immature and this pattern of behavior wonā€™t improve until he is cognizant of it and ready to change. Heā€™s being toxic and emotionally manipulative.

17 Likes

I donā€™t get the whole thing that you allow this. He shows you every single time that he has no care for you or your feelings but too many times you said he threw a fit if you mentioned it and he verbally and emotionally Acts like a child. So just throwing a fit is to make you feel like you have to back off and allow him to act like a boy. Then to throw salt to the wound he has to get something for the ex-mother-in-law and you force yourself to drag your kids with you and buy her something or you were considered a horrible person. You are allowing yourself to get hurt you are allowing yourself to see your children get hurt only you have allowed all of this and participated in it all. The only way to change it is to quit participating and find a man not the boy youā€™re with. Try to make it your New Yearā€™s goal to show your kids that they will not be subjected to that type of behavior or you will be looking at your next generation of men throwing a fit as a boy man doing the same thing. Good luck making better decisions for yourself and for your children.

12 Likes

I think you need a better boyfriend. He puts no effort into you and your needs. Back away and leave the relationship.

5 Likes

Just my opinion but you should stop putting in ANY effort to get the ex something or the ex mother in law flowers or even your husbandā€¦ Stop expecting things also. Invest your energy into buying yourself things or experiences that fulfill your soul and make you happy. Period. You need to match his energy.

8 Likes

My husband and I Do not exchange gifts once in a while we will get eachother something we really need but thatā€™s it. We get his parents and our kids gift

You mean ā€œhis kidsā€™ mom and grandmotherā€. Itā€™s more than likely for the children to have something from them to these people in their lives. Unless heā€™s handing it to them personally then thatā€™s a problem.
Also, narcissists ruin holidays on purpose. If itā€™s a pattern, it will continue unless you do something drastic. Otherwise, Iā€™d cut my losses and move on.

12 Likes

You have been Lied too Disrespected & Hurt by this Selfish person who is also the cause of you dreading something you Love yet you choose to stay with this person??(??

3 Likes

Leave, he is more worried about his ex mil then you, says it all

7 Likes

These day fall at the same time every year. So itā€™s no surprise that Christmas came. He can by for the ex but not for the woman he lays beside everyday. Say shoo fly, dont bother me and move on.

7 Likes

Ur boyfriend sucks!!!

6 Likes

Some people just arenā€™t good at giving giftsā€¦meā€¦i am terrible at figuring out what to give peopleā€¦itd be easier for me if they just said what they wanted.

My husband would ask me what I wanted.Id say what ever.So now every occasion I buy my own gift.Usually diamonds.Then I tell him thank you.Look what u bought me.Hed say do u like it.Of course silly.Then hes happy.

2 Likes

Youā€™ve got a full blown narcissist on your hands. He ā€˜forgetsā€™ and then has a fit? And tells you heā€™s going to have a fit because he did it again? Once is an accident, any more and itā€™s a very obvious choice. Also, by getting stuff for literally everyone else, heā€™s really making sure that you know you were neglected. But thatā€™s an excuse for HIM to have a fit? GIRL!!!

RUN.

Itā€™s only going to get worse and do you really want to be around for this bullshit in 10 years? Waste your time, money and beauty on this joker??? You deserve the world. The bar was on the floor and he STILL couldnā€™t bother. Iā€™ll tell you a secret - itā€™s because he doesnā€™t want to.

When you finally realize what theyā€™re not bringing to the table youll walk away from the table

3 Likes

Heck no ! No man would be doing that with me especially an ex anythingā€¦

It sounds like he has some anxiety around the issue of maybe picking and buying a gift. Do you give him clear, concise ideas? Some people just suck at shopping and being around crowds.

Well not sure why you guys care about the ex and the in-laws just send a Christmas card. He need to let them go and why would you help with his ex??Stop buying him shit and have a friend or someone else take your daughter shopping for you. However do realize men donā€™t care how we feel about the holidays. I used to love Christmas but now I donā€™t and itā€™s not about the gifts. All I get is attitude just because he hates Christmas it comes out in everyone else. Iā€™m done I give up. Hugs

Why are you still hanging around this toolā€¦ you are taking care of all his needs and he is complaining because you expect some attention and love and caring from himā€¦ YOU WILL NEVER GET ANY KIDNESS FROM HIMā€¦ Geezz woman kick him outā€¦

1 Like

He sounds like a Narcissist! Basically blaming you and purposely Startin an argument! He is your choice and you are complaining? Get rid of him

2 Likes

The onley way you can put a end to it is STOP BYING. hem aney thing. Donā€™t by hem aney thing. In tell he byes for you. FRIST. !!!

Wait so he buy his so called ex mother in law flowers and not u yeah no ur feelings are valid

He would be living with his ex MIL!!!

No, I would be livid. Itā€™s the actions that matter. He seems to be more concerned about his ex than you. My husband isnā€™t perfect. He gets me a bunch of gifts, they arenā€™t pricey. They arenā€™t like ā€œOMG guys He went to Jaredā€ like the commercials, but he gets me a bunch of things that he KNOWS I love. Like this year it was mostly Harry Potter themed. He knows Iā€™m a geek so I geek out and Iā€™m fine with it.
Itā€™s the intention and thoughts behind it. That dude is doing minimum effort.

yes you have a right to be upset. My husband never got me any kind of gift for any ocassion. It does hurt. Through and through. Donā€™t get him anything else, ever, for any ocassion. He needs to know how it feels.

1 Like

Why does he feel and you except that he gets flowers for his EX- MOTHER - IN - LAW for every occasion? The word is " Ex" meaning done and over unless heā€™s keeping good graces with the mother - in - law to get back with the daughter. He acts like a child but heā€™s mastered manipulating you. Your children see this, is this how you want them to act when they get older.

6 Likes

I am going through the same thing. I am always put off and always cancelled on by him. But he has time 4 his exā€™s family his kids and the rest of his family but me and my kids are always last on his list guys do not think the way that we do. They donā€™t think about their actions or the consequences of their actions. Women are different we think of how our actions will affect other people. Guys just are not built that way. So from me to you going through the same stuff I want to tell you Merry Christmas and you are important

His trying to stay on good terms with his ex mother in law in hopes of reuniteing with his ex wifeā€¦

3 Likes

No! Youā€™re not overreacting! Even getting his ex MIL something and not you?! Seems he is trying to impress his ex in my opinion. Idk if itā€™s to make her jealous or to get her back, but you know.

2 Likes

Girl he is gaslighting you! Are you gonna keep letting him run this game on you in 2022

4 Likes

Stop buying for him & his kidsā€¦. As for your ā€˜lil one, take her shopping & tell her to pick something (in your price range) & when she finds something, donā€™t look at what she picked, go to the register & have her pay for it, while youā€™re still not looking. Take her home, give her wrapping paper, tape & let her go all out for you. Itā€™ll be special for both of you :heart_eyes_cat::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

My question is when he gets mad because he ā€œforgot to get you a giftā€ does he leave for the evening when he acts like this?

6 Likes

I would find a different boyfriend

4 Likes

Donā€™t get him anything

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been with my SO almost 12 years. Heā€™s NEVER bought me a Christmas gift, birthday, Valentines, Mothers Day (we share 2 kids). I use to go all out his B-day, Fatherā€™s Day, Valentines, Christmas. Now I donā€™t do anything. I got sick of it. Itā€™s just the thought of him not even considering me. Doesnā€™t have to be anything big, but he doesnā€™t even consider me. So I stopped. I also stopped buying for his mom. He wants her to have a gift he should go buy it !

I wouldnā€™t buy him a damn thing ever again and ignore his birthday too. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€

If a man wanted to he would. He has you where he wants you and if heā€™s doing stuff like that for other people then heā€™s trying to find his way back in their life

4 Likes

Red flags :triangular_flag_on_post: stop buying him anything. Treat yourself. Take care of the gifts for your Children and yourself. Donā€™t wait for anyone to celebrate you. Meanwhile he needs to take a hike. Heā€™s gaslighting you, making excuses. That behavior of caring more about gift for an ex-in law than gifting you something, it is odd.

11 Likes

Thatā€™s his way of staying in his exes life. She has probably told him to stay the hell out of her life and her mother is a way to keep tabs on her if he stays friendly with her mother. I would question why he is buying her flowers to begin with.

2 Likes

Stop buying his bs. If he wanted to get you something he would have. He is fake mad. Stop doing for someone who will clearly never change and do for you.

10 Likes

Wait! What!, if he canā€™t be bothered anytime of the year with what he has in front of him then GOOD BYE.

3 Likes

Some people are terrible at holidays and then project it on to you . I say dont let it ruin your holiday. If he tries to gaslight your gift giving or his lack of just move past it , then later explain your basic expectations, if he doesnā€™t get it then move along.

Definitely with the wrong person. :pleading_face: Drop him like a bad habit

2 Likes

Itā€™s really not his job to help your daughter get you something unless heā€™s her dadā€¦
You seem to really care and also seem to have shared it with your daughter. My girls make me pictures and cards on their own, and have since their dad and I got divorced (they were 3&4 at the time).

You should probably take a deep look at you and be honest about the fact that you are upset about not getting gifts and then move forward from there.
If youā€™ve told him you donā€™t care about gifts, heā€™s not going to get you something. And then heā€™s going to get upset when you say something about it when he doesnā€™t (which is what looks like happens).

It kind of sounds like heā€™s still in love with his ex wife.

4 Likes

Tell him to go back to his mother in law and baby mama,cause right now it does not seem like you are any priority of his, let him go

4 Likes

Your man is not treating you or your daughter right. And if itā€™s been going on this long itā€™s unlikely to change. So sorry :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

He gets mad at you because he didnā€™t get you a gift? Just run. As far and fast as you can.

10 Likes

Why is it women get upset if they donā€™t get a damn gift
Really suck it up

Get rid of him his actions speak louder than words

3 Likes

Why let him hurt you any longer? Dump him and someone will come along way better. He is weird.

6 Likes

Heā€™s only acting like that so he can pretend like he cares . Just stop getting him stuff Iā€™m not gonna say leave because thatā€™s your decision but he should be putting you & his kids first not anyone else he doesnā€™t owe a gift to no one but you & his kids & should be on top of that stuff if you are instead of throwing a fit like a child

5 Likes

Im guessing this will be an unpopular opinion but Christmas is not about getting giftsā€¦ Christmas is about giving to others and being with family and friends. Iā€™m not saying the thought isnā€™t nice time to time but I think we need to stop gauging other peoples love by what they buy us.

6 Likes

Who the fuck buys stuff for their ex in laws hello , and there is no way that I would help his kids buy stuff for their own mother , it seems like he cares about everyone but u , I would of taken my kid and leave until he learns to apriciate u the way u do him .

Girl if he wanted to, he would. Period.

:triangular_flag_on_post:

8 Likes

If he wanted to, HE WOULD. And apparently the only one who seems to be priority is ex baby mamas mother? :woozy_face: weird. :triangular_flag_on_post:

9 Likes

I donā€™t know why your even with him. You have no self worth. Wise up and move on until you find someone worthy of you.

2 Likes

He doesnā€™t even like you. Leave.

2 Likes

Give him the boot and donā€™t look back

3 Likes

Nope he cant bother to get u a gift on special days then he doesnt care about u and isnt worth your time what kind of man doesnt buy his gf a gift on valentineā€™s day or Christmas drop him and find u a real man who cares enough to buy you something even if its just a card. My first Valentineā€™s Day with my husband boyfriend at the time he couldnā€™t afford to give me a gift so he just got me a Valentineā€™s Day card and it was a thought that count I was happy with the card because it showed me that he cared about me and even if he didnā€™t have the money he found a way to get me that card. Also same goes for women because I know a few women that do not buy there s o gifts on special days and the man always buys them gifts but they never even get anything on their birthday Christmas or Valentineā€™s Day from them

2 Likes

He seems more concerned with another household so let him go join it.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s really weird heā€™s getting his ex mil something and not even a card for you. Kinda gross tbh

9 Likes

Why are you still with him???

9 Likes

He cares what they think, and what about what YOU think??? Let him worry in his own. If he has the time to worry for them then that means he needs no help remembering you. And if he forgets, well that should tell you enough of his priorities.

2 Likes

Okay, I am still very close with my exā€™s family. And if his mother was still with us (rest her soul) damn right Iā€™d give her gifts for holidays. She was an amazing woman (and a second mother to me). And so, my current S.O. we have been together 9 yrs. He genuinely hates the holidays (holidays were not kind to him as a child) I ALWAYS try to get him something regardless of how small or trivial it may seem to other people. I do not ever ask for anything in return. My parents always made sure we were well taken care of for any holiday growing up, and I am well aware not everyone is that lucky.
The smiles and laughter from my kids and hubby are all I could ever ask for on Christmas morning. :two_hearts:

Itā€™s sounds like you are with a loser thatā€™s still wrapped up on his ex. You could find someone who treats you better for sure.

5 Likes

Why in the hell would you stay? Serious questionā€¦ If you arenā€™t valued by him, then you are undervaluing yourself

9 Likes

If it was me I would be going all kinds of crazy on his ass. I no itā€™s hard to hear but if he donā€™t consider your feelings now after multiple attempts of you expressing how you feel then you got to leave xxxxx

First of all, the only people who throw fits and ruin Christmas are bratty ass children and intellectually immature adults. Second of all, he has proven how he truly feels about you year after year. Listen to what heā€™s ā€œtellingā€ you and leave him.