Gestational diabetes

Recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I see a diabetic nurse on Monday, but what can I start doing now? What are some good snacks & quick breakfast foods? I dont have much time in the morning & I work 10-11hrs 4 days a week

8 Likes

Lots and lots of protein

Meat and cheese are the best snacks just limit your carb intake and cut out refined sugars

Fat is the culprit.

Count your carbs. Limit sugars. Limit breads, and pastas.

As a diabetic, count carbs and stay within each limit… Carb limit is usually 45 for each meal a day 15 carbs for each snack. It’s all a guessing game until you figure out what raises and lowers your sugar.

My breakfasts are usually:

1 piece of multigrain bread(15carbs), toasted and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, 1 medium banana (15carb), 5 nuts (15carbs).

Or

2 scrambled eggs(0carbs), 1 cup spinach(15carbs), 1 slice of toast(15carb), salsa, and a medium banana(15carb)

Refried beans and cheese on low carb tortillas

you can try something like this

1 slice whole wheat toast
1 egg
1 cup fat-free milk (breakfast)

4-6 whole what crackers
1 ounce cheddar cheese(snack)

2 slices whole wheat bread
3 ounces turkey
Lettuce and tomato
1 cup raw veggies
1 cup berries
1 cup fat-free milk(lunch)

2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 small apple
3 cups popcorn(snack)

4 ounces skinless chicken breast
1 medium baked potato
2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
1 cup broccoli salad
1-2 tablespoons salad dressing
1 cup fat-free milk (dinner)

1/2 banana
2 tablespoons nuts
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt (snack before bed)

You can really eat anything in moderation just watch your carb intake. 15g of carbs is one serving. Depending on dr. They will allow 1-2 carb serving at breakfast 1-2 carb serving at lunch and 2-3 at dinner. Any snacks between meals should be a serving or less of carbs. I have had gestational diabetes in all of my pregnancies and following this “diet” has really helped maintain my glucose levels and prevented me from having any major complications or health concerns for baby.

Eggs, cheese, meat, fish to fill you up, green veges for fibre, I was told to look at packaging on processed food and anything with 10g or less per 100g of carbohydrate should be ok but try to have fresh food as much as possible. I controlled mine with diet for 6weeks then needed to inject insulin…amazing how you can get over being scared of needles when your baby’s life is at risk…:astonished::astonished::astonished: Fruit can be an issue so best to get advice as to how much to have…basically make sure your protein and vege portions are vastly bigger than any carbohydrates you have and you will be on your way :grinning::grinning::grinning: also it helps to keep a diary of everything you eat so when you go for your appointments you can show them and they can let you know any changes you might need to make :grinning::grinning::grinning: good luck xx​:heart:

I ate 1 small tomato chopped and prob 8 oz of cottage cheese every morning for bfast. Lunch had to be in moderation. And dinner I ate smaller portions and bought these sandwich wraps at Wal-Mart very delicious. I believe it was no more than 36 gram total carbs per meal. Very hard to do lol one can of soda had that so I loved Lemon Water. Snack I would cut up orange bell pepper and eat oh very delicious. I craved beef and Cheddar from Arbys my entire pregnancy and surprisingly a Max beef and Cheddar with Xtra meat didn’t barely make a change in my sugar level but pizza sure did easily :hugs:

Cut out sugar,no juice, no pop, only eat complex carbs but in moderation. Stick to lots of leafy greens and other veggies and lean meat. Nothing fried.

1 Like

There’s a great gestational diabetic menu. Snacks apple almonds

breakfast sandwiches, apples and peanut butter (almond butter), cheese and meat with crackers, celery with peanut butter, trail mix,

Be smart about your choices. If you don’t even have a clue ask to see a dietician. Drink lots of water & watch your blood pressure too. Make sure you take your vitamins. You don’t want to go from gestational to insulin dependent. If you experience lows a half a turkey sandwich w cheese will hold your sugars up longer than a sweet snack. Eat fresh veggies & fruits when possible.

1 Like

I had this with my second child. For me I was drinking alot of carbohydrates. Easy fix, I switched to lemon water and green tea. Pre-cut frozen fruits saved my life. I would thaw the pre-measured amount in the fridge over night for breakfast. I want to say it is 15 carbs per meal. So think fresh or frozen. Everything in moderation. I used aloe for my hands, testing made my finger soar. The best advice I was given:Follow the rules you will be fine. I delivered 2 weeks early. My girl got a 9 on the APGAR. She is 13 years old and brilliant :four_leaf_clover::rainbow::heartpulse:

Careful with fruits, they produce their own sugar. But eggs for breakfast or cheerios (sugar free) or make a inlet with fresh veggies. If you drink powerade or Gatorade, get zero instead bc they are full of sugar. Keep a food diary with glucose levels 30 mins after eating so you can learn what triggers your glucose to rise. The food diary helped me so much, I learned all my no no’s that way!!!

A half of a bagel oatmeal or scrambled eggs

Read cereal labels to find one that’s OK & measure the allowed amount. You can have 8 animal crackers as part of a snack.

I drank Glucerna shakes for my mornings. (Dr. approved)