Has anyone been prescribed hydroxyzine during pregnancy?

Has anyone been prescribed hydroxyzine during pregnancy? My OB prescribed it to me for my unbearable restless legs & my anxiety. I’m 21 weeks along & I looked it up on google because I’ve never heard of it and have been too scared to even take it now.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t give you it if it was unsafe to take xx

5 Likes

I have restless leg syndrome anyway and I don’t take anything. Tips for that. Avoid caffeine (I don’t and that’s my biggest issue) low iron could be the cause. Do leg stretches before bed and shake the sh*t out of your legs when doing the stretches

1 Like

Dr prescribed it for me through 2 pregnancies. I have super allergies while pregnant & I would itch like crazy. Works great & never hurt a thing or caused any problems for me & I was taking up to 100 mgs at a time.

2 Likes

I took it in small doses as needed for anxiety while pregnant me and my obgyn kept a close eye on it and me and everything was fine. The pregnancy anxiety was so so so bad I couldn’t breathe or move and this would help calm me enough to start calming myself and think straight again. I never felt weird or high and their were no complications in my birth or babies health.

1 Like

If you’re concerned, call your pharmacist and talk to them. They can go over the risks vs benefits in detail and answer your questions.

2 Likes

My sister in law got it for a little while during her 3rd trimester and she delivered a healthy baby yesterday. You should be fine.

1 Like

I took it right at the end of my pregnancy to help me sleep through some nasty Braxton Hicks! My little dude is a healthy happy 3-year-old now!

1 Like

When I was pregnant (and now) I would uncover my legs and have a fan blowing on them. It really helped me

1 Like

From what I know, it shouldn’t be used in the first trimester or immediately before or during labour. Hasn’t been studied in pregnant women, so the FDA doesn’t have much to say about it. I would consider if the benefits outweigh the risks personally.

1 Like

I took it with 2 pregnancies. Both babies full term no defects and very healthy. It helped me a ton!

1 Like

It’s like benadryl. I take it for anxiety and it’s very mild my only reason for commenting is it makes me ridiculously and crazy tired so be mindful of that.

1 Like

Yes and it worked for nausea too. It’s an antihistamine so it works well for many things: pain, anxiety, restless legs, sleep issues, nausea, vertigo… it made me pretty drowsy so I had to get my dose cut in half.

1 Like

I was prescribed it before pregnancy and told go continue it.
Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine. It is safe for pregnancy.

1 Like

Thank you ALL :heart:
& thank you for posting my question!
Medicines give me anxiety during pregnancy!

I took it during my recent pregnancy for restless leg syndrome and was taking 100mg nightly. Me nor baby had any issues with side effects from it.

1 Like

You could also maybe try magnesium, I’ve been told that helps with RLS & is generally found in prenatal vitamins (therefore safe during pregnancy).

1 Like

Yep I did! And baby was perfectly fine

1 Like

I took it during my last pregnancy

1 Like

I was prescribed it for sleeping but after research I did not want to take it either. Your choice you do what you feel comfortable with.

1 Like

I take magnesium for my cramps in my legs, all natural. It seems to help

I sure the doctor knows what they’re doing. He has a medical degree. Don’t ask the internet for medical advice… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You might need some magnesium in your body. Make sure lots of pure water too. My dad used soap unde his sheets too. Have a healthy baby.

I had restless legs really bad and i put a bar of soap under my sheet by my feet and it worked. Old wives tale that works!

I did. :tipping_hand_woman:t2::tipping_hand_woman:t2: mine was for itchiness from cholestasis. It helped a lot.

I can’t take it, it makes my anxiety worse , but regular benadryl does that to me to. I wish the doctor would’ve explained it better. It basically just knocks you out, it’s not a calming effect.

It’s basically just a strong benadryl…will make ya super thirsty but I had no negative side effects other than that