Has anyone ever had to pay back food stamps?

The program will work with her. Tell her to be honest, set a repayment plan (can be as low as $25 per month), and be sure to follow through.

3 Likes

Technically not reporting a income fluctuation is fraud to them.

5 Likes

They only cut you off the first time

Contact ACLU in Indiana it’s Iclu…she has time to report change and If she did in and system did not update …their attorneys represent free.

1 Like

I am making more than $19,448 every month from this easy work from home job. Last month i made $18355 and i am here to share that how i am earning dollars easily just by doing work online from home in part time.

Info Here… https://dollarearningjob324.pages.dev/

Yes, I didn’t report my fiancés income after he got one freakin raise, I pay 25-50 bucks a month back… it’s sad cause we are still struggling but I’m figuring it out. They said after a year I could reapply, sometimes they even keep you on food stamps and take the payment out of that- I wish that’s what they would have done, but nope…

2 Likes

I did, 4 years ago my house burned down and I got food stamps for 1 month, they took my state tax refund that next year.

3 Likes

I know someone who had to payback and they just took it from her taxes. Another girl I know they garnished her wages and she wasn’t allowed to file for any assistance for 5 years.

4 Likes

I was given 3 months more after I gave them income change and they waited 3 months to cut mine off so their error and I had to pay back all 3 months worth. They took it from my monthly disability check

3 Likes

Yes. My mom had all of her taxes taken from her 2 years ago due to this exact reason.

Yep. Lots of people have. It’s written right in bold letters on front of paperwork to renew them that a change of over $100/month in income has to be reported and it lists the repercussions of each offense. Not reporting is FRAUD

2 Likes

Report them to the Federal Government. Tell him/her that you want all paperwork regarding this situation because now you want the Feds to investigate! I had a Caucasian friend went through this. I lost my job and I couldn’t qualified. So I called the Feds. Guess what I got them but the state wanted to give me with two kids 17.00 a month.

The struggle is real! Most of us are feeling it. My family won’t be able to afford a real vacation this year, normally we can. We can’t afford going to Great Wolf Lodge this year, normally we go! We have made tons of cut backs and still can’t figure things out. Sadly I do know people who have had to pay back the food stamp money, sadly enough! They need to up the income guidelines because no one can afford to live now!!! It’s not fair! But yes she will have to pay back the money in full. And she will not be allowed to reapply until it’s 100% paid off in full. Some states don’t allow you to reapply for food stamps again until 1 to 3 years after its paid off in full. I hate this and I think the system always hurts those that try the hardest! So sorry for your friend!

4 Likes

Yes, tell your friend to pay it back, don’t run from it.

3 Likes

She can call them and set up arrangements were they can take a portion of her foodstamps to pay the overpayment back. Depending on the state they will usually work with you. Good luck

I owed around $1,000 and they let me pay like 25 a month forever

1 Like

They just took my state taxes until it was paid off. They didn’t charge me any extra and if it was I never noticed

1 Like

Yes as long as ur paying something and they will continue to give u stamps and take a portion,

I am going through this rn

1 Like

Yes, and it is fraud. They can literally be listed as a felon for this. She knew to report change of income, they drill it into you.

5 Likes

I had to once. The caseworker messed up the paperwork, I did everything I needed to but even though it wasn’t my fault I still was technically overpaid funds🙄 Because I still qualified for some food stamps they docked them until I paid off my “debt”. I don’t think they are allowed to let people pay the debt back in cash, but I could be wrong. She can appeal it.

She can appeal it if she really needs it then I think she should but if she is just worried about how to pay back, she has to fill out a form that says how much she will pay each month and it doesn’t matter how much she puts she can always pay more or $5 every month either way as long as she pays she is complying and no interest or late charges.

Come on…she knew she was supposed to report that. It’s like common sense

3 Likes

Yes she can make monthly payments and have it taken out from her food stamps or just pay it monthly with cash…I was a season worker and my hours weren’t always predictable and sometimes it happens not everyone is trying to commit fraud…

4 Likes

I have a friend who is in this boat. They are not struggling like they claim because she had a secret spending habit that was costing hundreds each week. Your friend and her SO need to sit down, and make a list of all expenses per month, along with how much they make and budget accordingly. Its not easy but gotta do what you gotta do. And yes, she will have to pay it back since she failed to report. If they truly are struggling with food, they can go to a food bank and get some assistance there

1 Like

Your friend needs to sit down and do a budget/look at their expenses. Yes life is hard but you’ve gotta find a way to make it work. Tell her to call them and organise a payment plan and explain her circumstances, hopefully they’ll be reasonable about it.

My sister had to go to court lawyer cost,court cost and pay back back funds received thank God no jail time,get a lawyer

She cam pay 20 a month

She should have reported the income! Time to pay it back .

2 Likes

They took my taxes it was AE which stands for agencies error I was still responsible

2 Likes

She needs to pay it back otherwise she can actually be charged with fraud. It’s clear when you sign up you are to report all income changes.

4 Likes

Lol they make it perfectly clear to report changes. They make you sign paperwork every several months and it literally asks it in there. If she doesn’t pay it back, they’ll take her taxes. If they can’t get it taken care of with taxes, they’ll charge her with fraud.

4 Likes

She needs to show more proof that she’s not making enough. Just know they consider certain things as luxury like wifi and cellphones…which is dumb because they are mostly now online… and that they only count the amount you make Before taxes come in. So if you pay alot of taxes they don’t count that. I use to only get 20 dollars because I made too much in foodstamps when i applied…then they lowered it to 5 dollars…lol and then since I worked alot of over time they hit me with a you thought and cut them off completely :upside_down_face: the system is fucked and I hate people that take advantage of it because the ones who need it really are struggling. They make it so the poor just stay poor…and you can’t be middle class because you can afford anything from that system.

Normal people KNOW they have to report their income tf

We are are struggling. She spend $ that she didn’t deserve. There should be some kind of penalty

1 Like

Unfortunately that’s what you risk when not reporting a new/different income. That’s fraud and if you get caught you can face legal trouble. They don’t just hand out food stamps.

Yep I heard of it happening, you have to report new income because if you keep receiving assistance once you make over the threshold you’ll have to pay it back.

They don’t make you pay back very much I think it’s $5 a month it’s not much and if you forget to turn it in you have to pay it back it’s the law

How can you pay what you don’t have

1 Like

But it is fraud and very serious.

Depending upon the state they will send you a letter with a number to call to set up payment arrangements. If you still receive snap benefits then they will take $10-$20 dollars away until debt is paid. If you do not contact them to make payments then after a few months of no contact they will put a lien on your taxes. Calling them and working with them is the best choice. No one ever had to pay it back in full at once.

1 Like

Um duh ? That should have been reported from the get go…yes she has 2 pay it all back…it’s ppl like that who ruin / make hard 4 the ppl who really deserve / need it. .just saying

1 Like

I know someone who was approved for them and got a couple months of food stamps.Then they said they made a mistake and they made to much and would have to pay them back.They just waited until the end of the yr and they took it out of there income tax money instead of paying them back