Has anyone experienced a similar situation with their child?

My child is 9 an currently experiencing anemia & jaundice symptoms. Blood count low an protein high as well as bilirubin.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has ever went threw this an what was the outcome.

24 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Has anyone experienced a similar situation with their child?

Bring your child to the hospital now. Have them to an abdominal exam done or an ultrasound.

2 Likes

Is your child in any pain or discomfort?

bring your child to the hospital! mine had it at birth

1 Like

Your pediatrician needs to be the one to answer your questions.

But I’ve read jaundice goes along w/high bilirubin.
Is your child dehydrated?
That could be why there’s a high protein count.
But it could be something more serious and that’s why your child needs to be seen by your pediatrician. If they ordered these tests I’m sure they have or will go over them with you.

He needs to be seen by a hematologist ASAP!!! Please don’t wait

10 Likes

High bilirubin can be a sign of Gilbert’s syndrome. We are currently doing blood tests every 3 months for my son because insurance refuses to cover the cost of genetic testing. He hasn’t shown any jaundice or other symptoms so far… just the high levels.

1 Like

Prayers for your child. You’re probably at the ER right now and just got some test results. Nurse can’t (legally) explain them. Doctor is busy plus this is just a start. More tests will be done. Meanwhile you are alone, scared and need information and reassurance . That’s why you are asking on social media.

12 Likes

As a dr probably already told you, Anemia is just a symptom of something else. Until you find the cause it won’t get better. It can be a lot of things though and not neccessarily serious. Took me 2 years to find the cause for mine though, now it’s all better. A lot of tests will have to be done. In the meantime don’t panic. Take it day by day. Find a good hematologist too as soon as possible. Prayers for you and your son.

What did the Dr say?

1 Like

Seek medical attention ASAP! That is a sign of something serious, they need to be seen. My brother went thru this last year, it was kidney failure and I don’t wanna scare you with the rest. But please just take them to be seen now and don’t wait.

1 Like

My daughter had a bad gallbladder at 14 & would get gallstones so bad her bile duct would get blocked & cause these symptoms.

We had her at the Dr & er a ton of times. Gallbladder actually ruptured in the er. She went septic & was in ICU for 10 days. Still no diagnosis…

It took a general surgeon doing a HIDA SCAN to find it & he took her gallbladder out the very next day.

1 Like

In the nicest possibly way Facebook is the worst place you’re going to ask this because even though everyone here means well you’re going to get so many different answers and it’s just going to stress you out and panic you.

If your child is jaundice he needs medical attention ASAP. Don’t leave it.

5 Likes

Ask to be referred to a hematologist cause they specialize in blood disorders especially anemia.

1 Like

Something is going on with his kidneys! Please get him checked out ASAP, & keep us updated. Hugs mama!

Don’t ask Facebook. This is a serious thing that needs to be addressed by your child’s doctor. What someone else’s child was diagnosed with may not be what yours has.

4 Likes

Call Dr ASAP. My daughter is anemic and has been since childhood. But not jaundice. That liver damage. Apparently a Dr had blood done. Why is the Dr not seeing this. You need another Dr if he is not active in her well being. I almost died with low blood count. You may need to take her to ER. NOW

1 Like

Yesss my daughter. Just literally went thru this… It was MONO!!! She was in the hospital for a week before they got the results back!!!

1 Like

And my daughter is 9! She was sick for a couple days and took her to the er they ruled it as a stomach bug. 3 days later she went jaundice. Her eyes turned yellow and all! I rushed her in. She had inflammation in her liver and gallbladder and her spleen enlarged! She was back to normal after 2 weeks! Mono is a teenager virus and takes a toll on the younger children!

1 Like

Liver or kidney problem. Pancreas ? My son ended up having a choledocal cyst in his bile duct. Causing severe pancreatis, his liver was failing and he has stones they had to remove. Still awaiting surgery for the cyst but first signs were jaundice then abdominal pain. Please see a doctor and keep pushing till you get the right answer, 3 doctors later, we were then put on an emergency flight to the children

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Has anyone experienced a similar situation with their child?

Sounds like a gallbladder issue

Don’t ask FB. Take your kid to a doctor.

15 Likes

Not trying to be rude but, a doctor has to be giving you this information so, what are they saying?

4 Likes

Autoimmune hepatitis

Go to a children’s er asap

5 Likes

You should definitely ask your pediatrician to run some tests. It could be liver problems, some sort of cancer, problems with kidneys or something simple like lack of iron. Im no doctor by any means but if my child started experiencing jaundice id take my child in to run all the tests to make sure they were ok, something im sure you as a parent are already doing. I hope your little one is ok.

15 Likes

Anemia can be the result of low B12, bone marrow issues leading to low production of red blood cells, low erythropoietin from the kidneys not telling the bone marrow to work, the spleen sequestering red blood cells, or the liver breaking down blood cells too much, or red blood cells not proliferating normally, among many other possibilities.

Jaundice is from increased bilirubin, a byproduct of red blood cell breakdown normally processed by the liver and removed in stool and urine. Either there is too much breakdown of red blood cells for some reason, or the liver is not filtering the normal baseline amount of red blood cell breakdown and byproducts are building up in the body.

The most abundant protein in the blood is albumin, made by the liver. It being low implies the liver isn’t functioning well to produce it.

So, could be a primary liver issue. Or could be a primary blood issue that’s overwhelming the liver and causing a malfunction with it. Or something else. Viral hemorrhagic infections, or viral hepatitis could also be culprits.

Most commenters are throwing out anecdotal opinions. Hopefully just knowing some of these facts can help you process how what the doctor is saying maybe fits together.

I’m sorry your child is going through this. I’m certain it’s terrifying. As others have said, I’m hopeful real pros are involved because other organs rapidly fail in addition if these symptoms are not at least treated/managed.

6 Likes

Don’t wait. And don’t bother asking Facebook. Go to a children’s ER. My son had literal cold symptoms and and a fever. I took him to the pediatrician 3 times in a 2 week period. Kept being told it’s a cold let it run its course. He started developing a rash so we took him to the ER cause I was done waiting on the pediatrician and thought maybe he had covid. He has leukemia. We now switched pediatricians for my other kids and my son with leukemia is in treatment and can’t even see a pediatrician only his oncologist. you never know what it can be and waiting on results from outpatient testing can take too long to get effective treatment quick enough.

9 Likes

My child did when he was first born found out he had panhypopituitarism. He had to have 2 platlet transfusions… So I would have your child checked for hypopituitarism. Good luck and hope you find out what they have.

3 Likes

I have no clue sorry :frowning: but get hold of the Dr get answers or you’re going to make yourself ill with worry

2 Likes

Obviously they have seem a dr to know the blood count is low. They are prolly waiting till next apt in between and is trying to prepare for possible diagnosis… they aren’t asking yall to diagnose their kid… their asking for possible experiences till then can get more answers since 99% of the time after a first visit with a Dr… its always a " follow up in x amount of time and rerun tests.

24 Likes

Don’t freak yourself out over all the terrible things it could be, just ask your doctor to do testing. Sounds more like elevated liver enzymes.

1 Like

Try looking at Gilbert’s syndrome x

4 Likes

It sounds like it could be some kind of liver problem

1 Like

When i had jaundice and a high bilirubin count it turned out to be blockage in my bioduct by a gallstone.

1 Like

That happen to my daughter she was 16 and we what to do an ultrasound on her belly. After running 2 rounds of blood test and she was vomiting, diarrhea, throwing up the white part of her eyes were yellow. We were very scared. When we finally got to test results back from the blood work she had mononucleosis.

3 Likes

Have liver function/enzymes checked! Not to scare anyone but I just had a liver transplant and I had the same symptoms and others. A lot of different things can cause those symptoms, but in my case, it was a sudden, out of the blue severe liver failure diagnosis and 3 months later, transplant surgery.

6 Likes

I did. It was serious. She had Leukemia but is now in remission.

7 Likes

Following really hope its nothing real serious. Please if able I would like to know the outcome. When does he go back to doctor? Sending prayers and hugs

1 Like

Idk why people ask questions that should only be asked with their physician.

16 Likes

Could be gluten intolerant, causes damage then causes leaky gut, then you dont absorb the vitamins and minerals needed, then your immune becomes compromised

1 Like

Sorry you’re going through this. Prayers for complete healing and restoration of good health for your child.

Write all of the questions that come to mind and write all of your child’s symptoms and complaints so when you see the doctor again, you can be organized in your thoughts and be active in helping to doctors help your child.

1 Like

Sounds like leukemia but pls get multiple professional opinions. All kinds of labs done and don’t stop until you get an answer.

3 Likes

Get new Doctor,because you have obviously been there and they haven’t followed up. This could be serious.

2 Likes

Hemochromatosis possibly

2 Likes

vitamin d deficient? jaundice is the liver and uv light corrects the jaundice. bilirubin is liver and gall bladder…low blood count could be due to anaemia. sounds like something to do with vitamin aborption. get test done that look into diet, gastrointestinal area, could be crohns, coeliac, irritable bowel, intolerances if kidney urea e.t.c are in normal ranges. if its crohns e.t.c diet manages that and levels will go back to normal. don’t think hepatitis in someone so young. could be a viral bug too if not a gastrointestinal problem.

2 Likes

I dealt with this with my son growing up from the time he was a baby. Always went to the doctor, received iron meds, told to eat more iron laden foods etc.
it wants to until he was one month away from getting married we truly found out what it was! Hemochromatosis!! The signs/symptoms were so similar! But the treatment was almost opposite! He was eating lots of red meats etc, but that caused numbers to soar! :flushed:We were able to bypass surgery with diet (became vegetarian for a few years for health reason and ate meat very rarely)
I suggest going to your doctor and be persistent in finding the right path to remedy.
We found ourselves at hematologist/oncologist.
Best thing we ever did! Especially when we found out it was hereditary. Great resource!
Good luck in finding treatment for your son. Just be very proactive🙂

People: She’s been to the doctor, being she knows all what’s going one. She wants to know the outcome of similar situations.

1 Like

Are they giving them blood transfusions?

Theyll need to find the underlying cause. I need iron infusions due to my hyperactive thyroid. Its not all that uncommon

Spherocytosis is what those symptoms were in my daughter but she was diagnosed at 6 months it can show later in life though, if they can’t figure out what it is you couldn’t mention that to them, took weeks of testing on my girl to find out what was wrong.

You need to insist on getting her an abdominal ultrasound immediately. Then also follow up with a contrast dye CT scan.

3 weeks ago my daughter had similar symptoms. If I hadn’t taken her to the er we would have lost her.

Hi. It could possibly be hemolytic anemia (if the child is anemic from a long time) and it could possibly turn into gall stones which obstruct the outlet causing jaundice. I’m a general physician and I think you should immediately go and get that kid checked.

2 Likes

Yes. My kiddo was able to do phototherapy at home with a billiblanket. After 10 days he was down to normal bilirubin count. He’s 8 now and perfectly healthy.

My sons going through a lot of the same things but he’s 1 and all his tests came back

Anemia
Food / seasonal Allergies
And possible liver issues

We are going to the children’s hospital this coming and next month

Go to hospital get total abdominal u/s that’s how they found would about my gallbladder I’m pernicious anemic

Have doctors test for celiac disease.
I had issues like this my whole life, was even diagnosed with Cholestasis, and other issues.
Now at 24 was just diagnosed and have a lot of health issues because of wrong diagnosis. It’s something I was told doctors don’t normally test for.

Praying for answers!

Bilirubin causes jaundice. It is primarily processed out by your skin and excreted through your waste. Either a Bili light/blanket or sunlight is the best thing to help process that out of the body. And lots of pooping/peeing.

I would definitely demand an abdominal ultrasound/x-ray though because both high bilirubin and anemia could come from intestinal and gal bladder problems or even slow internal bleeding.

Or hepatitis, whatever it is those symptoms sound serious. Take the child to the doctor.

Question was you ever sick
Me at 7 I had a double pneumonia temp was 103
I was hallucinating
I spent 2 weeks in a crib like bed from my waist to above my head plastic
Now today illness children get I believe it may just be something n the air

Clearly she’s taken the child to the doctor or she wouldn’t be able to provide the information she provided. Personally I’ve never experienced with my kids other than jaundice at birth. I’m sorry Mama I hope you get some answers. I will say our pediatrician told me that the gummy vitamins do not have iron and kids need iron. He recommends gummy vitamins one day and chewable vitamins the next day. As far as the jaundice we were told vitamin D is what helps with that. Prayers!

Definitely go to the ER. I had jaundice due to mono and it was the worst feeling I’ve ever experienced. They had me on an IV for 4 days and it helped bring my bilirubin down as I struggled to eat/drink. Make sure they screen for everything including stds. They could’ve picked it up from sharing food or drinks from someone at school

1 Like

Could be a form of Thalassemia. Cooleys anemia is apart of that. They might send you to a geneticist. Good luck to you and your kiddo. Just stay on top of whatever the doctor recommends.

You need to be discussing this with the child’s doctor.

Go to ER. Don’t ask fb trust your gut.

You should have taken him to a doctor already.

If I enjoy this privilege all alone, it shows how ungrateful I am because I got this opportunity from a post on social media as well and I saw recommendations too. all thanks to the good work.

he is highly recommended. Click on the name to contact him :point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:
Hoyet Anatasia

𝐬ᴏᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇ𝐬 ɪɴ ʟɪғᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴅᴏ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ’ʀᴇ ᴀғʀᴀɪᴅ ᴏғ ᴅᴏɪɴɢ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜ𝐬ᴇ ɪᴛ ᴍɪɢʜᴛ ᴛᴜʀɴ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇ𝐬ᴛ ᴅᴇᴄɪ𝐬ɪᴏɴ, ᴛʀᴀᴅɪɴɢ ʜᴀ𝐬 ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ 𝐬ᴇʀᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ʀɪɢʜᴛ ᴜɴᴛɪʟ ɪ ᴄᴀᴍᴇ ᴀᴄʀᴏ𝐬𝐬 ᴍʀ Hoyet anastasia ᴡʜᴏ ᴄʜᴀɴɢᴇᴅ ᴍʏ ʟɪғᴇ ғᴏʀ ʙᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ, ᴇᴠᴇʀ 𝐬ɪɴᴄᴇ ɪ 𝐬ᴛᴀʀᴛᴇᴅ ɪɴᴠᴇ𝐬ᴛɪɴɢ ɪɴ ʜis ᴘʟᴀᴛғᴏʀᴍ, ɪ ɴᴏ ʟᴏɴɢᴇʀ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ғɪɴᴀɴᴄɪᴀʟ ɪ𝐬𝐬ᴜᴇ𝐬, ᴛʜᴀɴᴋ ʏᴏᴜ ᴠᴇʀʏ ᴍᴜᴄʜ,

ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɴame ᴛᴏ ɢᴇᴛ 𝐬ᴛᴀʀᴛᴇᴅ :point_down::point_down:
Hoyet Anatasia

I just felt like coming here to say thank you to Mr.hoyet anatasis because since I met your team, you guys have really changed my stories hoyet anatasia Words only can’t express how my feel and I hope that you touch more lives just the way you have touch and change my life forever. Am grateful to you, once again thank you sir.
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:
Hoyet Anatasia