Has anyone gotten the Makena shot while pregnant?

I am pregnant and high risk. My Dr is recommending that I get makena shots. But I’m nervous. At how many weeks do you get them and do they work?

9 Likes

Brittany Elizabeth Williams maybe you can help this momma

1 Like

I can’t remember the weeks, maybe from 16-38, but it really helped!!! Stopped me from having constant contractions, and she stayed in until 39 weeks, unlike my previous 2! :raised_hands:t3: Shots hurt like a mofo, and if you rub it into the muscle afterwards, it’s not that bad. You start to get used to them.

2 Likes

I had them with my son bc my daughter was premature. It was once a week. If you do it, switch side everyweek and make sure to rub the spot, it gets sore.

2 Likes

What that shot for Beverly heard of it

You start them at 16 weeks. I’m already on it and have been getting them every week. I’m now 20 weeks. This is my first time getting them so I haven’t noticed anything yet. They say the shot hurts, it just feels like something being pumped into your butt. It’s not bad, and alternate what side you get them on every week. I’m hoping mine work since my last two pregnancies we’re premature.

1 Like

I did them from 16 weeks til 36 weeks. My 1St baby came at 25 weeks but my baby girl(mackena shots) was born at 39. They hurt,sometimes more than other but totally worth it in the long run.

1 Like

I did get these and I started them at 16 weeks til I was 36 weeks. It saved my pregnancy.

1 Like

I took it with my first pregnancy, you start it at 16 weeks and continue it till 36 weeks. The day I stopped taking mine was the day my son was born at 36 weeks. Without it he would not have stayed In long enough. I am now 24 weeks pregnant with twins and on it again. So far so good. It is a very thick shot so you want to administer it slowly to make sure all the medicine gets in your system. Alternate sides it will be soar for a bit but it’s not to bad. If your doctor thinks you need to be on it then most defiantly take it and do not forget to take it, set an alarm or whatever you need to make sure you remember to take it. Without this drug I would not have my children, so to me it’s a miracle drug. Good luck with your pregnancy!

1 Like

I did! Had my daughter 5 weeks early my water just started leaking. My dr reccomended them when I was pregnant with my son. They had trouble getting my water to break lol. I was 39 weeks when I had him so they worked for me. My thought was, if they dont work at least I know I did everything i could!

1 Like

I started at 16 wks. They did help, but i still had my 3rd premie at 34 weeks.

1 Like

I had to get them from 16w to 36w every week. They aren’t the most comfortable shot to get, but they don’t hurt as bad as steroid shots… My servix starts dialating to early in my pregnancy… my son was born at 32 weeks without the shots… My daughter made it to 37 weeks with the shot.

2 Likes

I started at 16 weeks. Currently on week 22. No side effects I have noticed so far and I’m not having contractions. Will stop taking at 36 weeks.

1 Like

Melissa Jean Kinser is this the kind of shot they said you may need?

1 Like

Do your research! I believe FDA just decided to pull them.

The studies on them were horribly skewed. And recent studies showed they weren’t very effective at all.

I had them with my daughter as my son was premature and my body was trying to have her at 24 weeks. Our goal was 37 weeks but my body decided to go against it and I had her at almost 36 weeks (I swear it was going to Walmart that caused me to have her because I went to Walmart the night before I had her and the same thing for my son lol). They help your body from having contractions.

1 Like

I had them from 15w-38 I opted out of the last one at 39w they worked tremendously and I was able to carry to term I also had them alternate every week which side of my butt I got it in that helped to

1 Like

I took them, and they worked for me… it was from week 16 to week 36

1 Like

I was high risk because of my age and they never said anything about a shot

Took it as well for 20 weeks. Injections in the butt cheek. Every. Single. Week. You also want to alternate butt cheeks. It knots up for a day or so and goes away. Had to take it to prevent a preterm birth. My 2nd one came 6 weeks early, I was leaking. So they wanted to prevent any pre term labor, although I almost went into labor due to a severe stomach flu, was so dehydrated I was having contractions every 2 to 3 minutes. Best investment ever. You look at my youngest now, hes definitely a bruiser and as healthy as a horse.

1 Like

I had them during my second pregnancy. I started at 16 weeks, ended at 36 weeks and delivered at 37 weeks

1 Like

I had them from 16 weeks until 35 weeks. They aren’t horrible. The steroid shots hurt a lot worse. My little girl was born at 24 weeks without the shots and my little boy made it to 35 weeks with the shots. I did have contractions still with the shots but the shots were worth it

1 Like

Look it up. It’s self inject and the first few do kinda hurt. I got them from 15-36 and yes it does work. I’m currently 38 weeks now

I did with my 2nd baby as I had my 1st at 25 weeks and I’m currently 13 weeks with my 3rd and start them in 3 weeks for this baby and they are from 16 weeks to 36 weeks is when you should have you last shot :slight_smile: it worked wonders with my second she stayed in to 39 weeks and 6 days :wink:

2 Likes

Following! I start mine in 2 weeks

I had to take them because my second was premature. I started at 16 weeks. I made it to 39 weeks and was induced. The only thing is my son was sooo much bigger than my other 2 boys :open_mouth::open_mouth:. My first was full term and weighed 5lbs 2oz. My second was born at 32 weeks and was 4lbs 1oz. My last (the one I took the shots with) was 8lbs 3oz :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth: a big difference!!!

1 Like

I got it
It kept baby in till.week 39
I was high risk at 24 weeks

1 Like

I’ve honestly never hear of it before this post and all my babies were born premature

1 Like

I did. I carried to term. I had a placental abruption during my last 8 weeks and he stayed put. It wasn’t proven to be effective or ineffective at the time and the side effects weren’t terrifying so I decided it was worth it. My first came on his own 5 weeks early.

I was on them but have to stop my doctors told me the company isn’t distributing them anymore

My 1st child was born at 35w 3d, so it was suggested I have them with my 2nd. Took them from 16weeks to 36w & delivered my 2md at 40w 3d. My older sister had her 1st child at 35w 2d, took them with her 2nd & still delivered him at 33w I think. She is also had a lot of other issues going on too

Had them from 27 weeks to 35+5 when i gave birth

I was high risk and didn’t even know a shot like that existed my doctors never mentioned with any of my pregnancies

I took the shots with my son and he is 15 months now and i am currently pregnant with my third and doing the makena shots again and my fiancé injects me at home so we don’t have to go to the office once a week…I believe you start them at 16 weeks and it ends at 36 weeks! My daughter was very premature so I been high risk through out all my pregnancies and I sware by the makena! My doctors office said they have never had a problem and everyone that takes them has had a great turn out and no premature labor!

1 Like

So I would say yes to do it! It can only help!

I take it now. And have once before. They used to do it in the butt. Now it’s in your arm. It’s fine to me

I’d ask these people rather than your doctor SERIOUSLY :roll_eyes:

Had a friend who got them for the last 6 weeks of her pregnancy. Helped keep her from going into preterm labor. She got it once a week.

I got it and it help me go to full term. I started at 16weeks until 36weeks every week a shot.

I got the progesterone shot for two of my pregnancy is and they were a miracle

I got it at 16 weeks to 37 with my last 2 babies full term 40 weeks a little advice dont let them give you the shot close to you hips where you could feel your bones its hurts more then right on the butt where more fat usually the old nurses do it right where is the bones