Has anyone had negative pregnancy tests but was actually pregnant?

I am 3 weeks late on my expected period. (Next expected period is next week) I am taking pregnancy tests, but they are all negative, I’ve taken multiple, and I’ve also used separate brands. I am calling my dr. Tomorrow. But has anyone experienced a negative test but then found out that they were pregnant?

41 Likes

With my first pregnancy I had tests come back negative. I got a positive at 11 weeks

In the same predicament now
My periods late, but no symptoms

1 Like

I was over a month late and was getting negative tests.

I have a friend had took tests for a months and never got a positive. Went to the Dr trying to figure it all out and sure enough was pregnant.

1 Like

Yes ma’am with both my pregnancies

A good friend of mine was this way! Tested negative for almost 8 weeks until doc confirmed

1 Like

Yes ma’am me! I had three negative test and had three normal periods all while being pregnant.

1 Like

I didn’t get a Positive till 14 weeks! Was told I had a hernia and that’s what was making me so sick.

Yep had negative and was pregnant

My best friend’s mom said home tests were negative for her with both of her pregnancies and they had to get blood tests done. My first pregnancy I got a “negative” result on a home test but the doctors office urine test worked and it was confirmed. I was one day shy of being 12 weeks pregnant at that point, according to the ultrasound they did for confirmation.

Yes my first test was negative then I waited and did another test and that was positive at 5 weeks
I didnt even know I was pregnant until my partner said you look pregnant and went home to do test .

I had a friend that this happened to and she ended up having a dangerous ectopic pregnancy. Please call your doctor. Better safe than sorry.

Talk to your doctor. There are other reasons for a missed period besides pregnancy.

2 Likes

I was 2 months pregnant and still getting negative tests until I went to my doctor🥰

Yes generally I have to miss 2 before testing positive

Yes. Took 18 days to show up positive!

My friend tested negative at home multiple times and then went and seen a doctor and they confirmed she was pregnant

I had negative tests and never was pregnant. My period is never late except that one time. Went to the doctor had bloodwork done. All negative. Had a normal period too.

Yesss girl! I took a test with my first it came back negative! A week later I got a positive! They estimated I was already 7 weeks along ! :slightly_smiling_face:

I didn’t get a positive test until I was 7-8 weeks along

Yep. It might be too early and your HCG levels might be too low to be detected with an at-home test. An early detection test might work (but they are more expensive) or just have your doctor give you a test.

1 Like

First pregnancy I tested positive at 3 weeks, My second pregnancy I didn’t test positive until I was 8 weeks pregnant. They had to do a ultrasound because I knew I was and had lots of symptoms. Still possible!

With my first child my urine HCG was positive but my serum was negative. The second one came back positive

Talk to your doctor. Changes like that can be nothing or wayyyy more.

Always had to get blood test to confirm my pregnancies.

Yes took 5 tests and they were all negative and I was late by 5 weeks needed up being 6 weeks pregnant

I had 2 negative tests before I went to the doctor and found out I had twins

15% of women will get a false negative on positive tests

With my second I didn’t get a positive test until I was 10 weeks.

Yes for 2 months before it showed up

Me. I was almost 2 months before it was positive.

I missed my period for almost 2 cycles & every test came back negative. turned out I had an ovarian cyst on my left ovary. your ovaries work together to cause your period so if you have a cyst that could make you miss your period. definitely call your doctor

With my 1st i was 2 months pregnant before i got a positive result. Best of luck!

Yes didnt get a positive with my daughter till I was 8 weeks, even had negatives with dr office blood work.

I tested negative 3 times for my 1st pregnancy. Had it confirmed by blood. Took a pregnancy test again, still negative. :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

1 Like

They did bloodwork on me and it came back negative and I was 13 weeks. They didn’t find out until they did an ultrasound

My second pregnancy I had positive and negative results at home and at the clinic. I
had my period the 1st 3 months and had to go twice a month to check the baby through sono

Me! My urine test was negative for a month or more but i knew i was pregnant so did blood work

Yes my first two came back negative
Took a digital one either a week or two weeks later and sure enough I was about 6 or 7 weeks pregnant

1 Like

Same thing happened to me. It took three months to get a positive result and with it being my third pregnancy, I knew I was pregnant.

Ovarian cysts could be a cause.

1 Like

Yep, took like 4 or 5 that came back negative before I got a positive with my first. I was 8+ weeks when it turned up positive.

1 Like

Could be possible… with my first I got a positive test @2 weeks pregnant my second I did as well expect they were really light and took about 3 more weeks to show a good dark positive

Wow! They say there’s no such thing as false negatives w pregnancy tests but after reading this comment thread…that’s clearly not true lol

1 Like

Yes! With my first I took a lot of at home tests and they all came back negative and then the one at the doctors did as well. The only way I got confirmation was an internal ultrasound.

1 Like

I kept taking them also and didn’t find out until my 2nd missed period.

Ask Dr for a blood test to make sure.if that’s negative insist on an ultrasound. It could be a cyst or other medical issues.

Yes! I was 20 weeks when I found out.

Yes, With our first baby. We had been trying to get pregnant & I suspected I was, I just felt different but I had at least 4 negative tests. I ended up in the ER because of how sick and dehydrated I was getting and they confirmed my pregnancy there with a blood test. My levels were low, so they put me on supplements and said to prepare that it could be a non viable pregnancy. Now he is a healthy 3 yr old.

1 Like

It’s fairly common that the normal pregnancy test doesn’t work. A few of my friends have had to get blood tests for accurate testing.

It could be diff causes for a miss period bc cyst n others probkem

Yup. My sister was negative for 3 months on a urine test, on both kids. Month 4 came back positive and she’d go to the doctor and fi d out she was 3-4 months pregnant… It’s weird

Yup, sounds weird but best time to take your test is the first pee of the day! I had 3 negatives then took one my first potty break of the day and had a really fast positive

My sister n law was told she had cancer went in for ultrasound and found a baby. All test were negative for 4 months

There could be heaps of reasons for a missed period that isn’t pregnancy. Have you had any diet or medication changes? Been stressed? Are you on birth control?

Yes. I took a pregnancy test after I was like 3-4 days late on my period test was negative, but I was cramping so bad for about a week after I got the negative home test so I went to the dr and it was a quick positive there.

I never had a positive test with either of my kids. I was told I just don’t produce enough of the hormone and that it actually is not that uncommon.

All my tests came back negative until I was almost 7 weeks this time. When first ultrasound came to get a date I was almost 12 weeks already!

I had negative tests when I was pregnant with my first child. I kept going back to the ER because I swore I was pregnant. By the time they finally gave me an ultrasound, a couple days later I miscarried. My hcg levels never got passed 900. Several years later I am pregnant again and everything seems normal this time. No bleed or anything. Second ultrasound on the 9th, I’ll be 9 weeks then! Good luck!

I did loads of pregnancy tests and they all came back negative by the time I could get a doctor’s appointment to see what was going on I found out I was pregnant by there test and blood tests got an ultrasound done a week later and found out I was 17 weeks

Yes, quit wasting money. Take 1 first thing in the morning then go to doc after 2 missed for blood test

Yes I had 2 urine tests done that were negative and eventually had to go in to ER they did blood test it was positive and had ultra sound done and ended up having emergency surgery because it was a tubal (I was 4 months along and baby was size of 1 month):disappointed::sob::disappointed::sob:

Yes. I took 2 tests… always had irregular periods so it wasn’t until I went to the dr for what I thought was a UTI , ending up finding I was 11 weeks 5 days pregnant.

1 Like

Kind of having the same issue. I’m 10 days late. Tests are negative. I took a blood test 4 day ago and it was negative. I’m having symptoms but idk what is going on

Yes, but that was a Looong time ago! And there were No home pregnancy tests. Both negatives were done at a hospital Where I Worked. The 3rd was a Definite Positive. The Lab Tech ran it Twice to be Sure. :blush:

Yes! I took many different kinds of tests even at different times cuz my monthly is weird but they all said no. I was about 3 months pregnant when it finally told me yes. Which i did not mind because by the time i got into the dr, that day i knew i was having a girl! :grin:

Girl lemme tell you a story. My daughter who’s now 24 but was 19 at the time, had suspicion that she was pregnant. She took test after test after test for months on end, her period was light but she still had a period every month. One day she had been feeling under the weather for a couple days with sharp pains in her stomach. Thinking appendix she finished her day at work and waited for her boyfriend to get home then went to the ER. they said um you’re pregnant, full term, and in labor ready to push!!! She never got a baby bump as she carried in the back. She was a little chubby but not too bad to begin with and I saw her every single day and had no idea she was pregnant. What a surprise! It happens a lot if you suspect the test are falsely negative I suggest going for a blood test.

2 Likes

Yes I gave birth to my middle daughter at 30 days past when she should have e been born because all test store bought and blood came back negative my body wouldn’t recognize I was pregnant she was 12.8 lbs and 1 cc of fluid left in there with her they took her by c section

Yes home test always came back negative bit I convinced my doctor to try a blood test or ultrasound which he did blood test but I believed so much and yup I was pregnant

Yes, my youngest is almost 15 and I took several home tests and they were negative. Had to take the test at the dr office and it was positive.

Yes! I had a very light period And I missed the next one but I didn’t register until I missed the second one and I was 6 weeks pregnant with my son.

I got pregnant while on birth control. Couldn’t get a positive test until I was almost 4 months and visibly pregnant.

I had 3 tests including a blood test through the dr all negative. He is 20 and works at subway! Lol

6 Likes

Yes I have with both of my pregnancy’s and that was 13 yrs ago and 12 yrs ago I would get a blood work and it’s more accurate

3 Likes

When I was pregnant with my oldest I got negative results up until I was about 14 weeks. I would suggest going to your doctor and get a blood test done.

Yes I did home tests and all negative had to go see my doctor to have blood work and found out I was indeed pregnant

Yes with both my boys. My second one even blood test didnt show until I was 4 months along

Two of my pregnancy’s were negative on a home test… mine never shower until 6 weeks ish on an at home one.

Yes. Mine came back negative so i did a blood test and i was 6 weeks along.

I didn’t have a period for 3 months and it turns out it was due to cysts

Yes I have had to eventually have blood test as all tests came back negative

Doesn’t necessarily mean your pregnant because your late. I always had a regular period until one month I didn’t get it. Swore up and down I’m pregnant. Went to my doctor, they did bloodwork and a vaginal ultrasound and not pregnant. My body just didn’t ovulate that month and I didn’t get my period. First time ever. Next month I got my period.

Yes, I missed my period and was not feeling well but the tests were negative. I found out I was pregnant at dr office.
They say that early in pregnancy tests are not accurate.

I had this happen 4 weeks in a row without one all negative then I startedwhst I thought was my period nope I waspregnsbt but baby stopped growing. I had to have pills to stop the bleeding.

Some people have false negative pregnancy test. Usually the only way to tell is to get blood work done

Had a tubal pregnant that took along time to show up on blood or urine. Not long after I found out I started to bleed. The whole thing lasted 10 weeks.

Me ! Came back negative twice , third time came back positive. I’m currently about 8 months now

I did and my daughter is 12 … had blood work done to get actual positive

Yes I just knew I was pregnant. Took about 4 negative tests before I finally got a positive one.

Yep. Had negatives all the way til I was 11 weeks preggo

Yes , you can have a false negative but not a false positive

Nope. Maybe it’s just nerves causing you to skip a period. It happens.

Ive been a month past my expected period and not been pregnant.

1 Like

You need to get a blood test done

Yes I had 12 tests over the span of 3 months all came back negative (Dr refused blood tests) also had an chest MRI it wasn’t until my 4th month pregnant and my period actually stopped that pee tests came back positive

Yes, with my first baby! I took a EPT at home and it came back negative. I had an appointment to have bloodwork done for surgery the next day and I found out I was indeed pregnant. With my second, I decided to try a test for $1 and it came back positive lol and it was accurate.

Can u just not wait for your missed period then take a test like a normal person?

Yep i was 9 months pregnant and still would be negative in a urine test.

yup. I went to an emergency clinic and they told me my pregnancy test came out negative and uti test was positive but they made an appointment for me the next day for my doctor to make sure the results were accurate and LITERALLY the next day my doctor told me my pregancy test came out POSITIVE and NEGATIVE for the UTI :joy: it was the other way around! still gets me up to this day :joy:lol and yeah I had to take a blood test to see how many 3 weeks I was.

1 Like