Have any of your kids been kicked out of daycare for crying too much?

Does she cry like this at home too or is it only at daycare?

1 Like

This is a red flag for me. I wouldn’t send my kid anywhere of they cry all day. I’m not a very trusting person when it comes to my kids.

9 Likes

This breaks my heart. Wish moms could afford to be home with their babies. :sleepy:

8 Likes

Trust her she don’t like it

2 Likes

Sounds like an inexperienced daycare.

When my youngest was 6 months old, I put her in an in-home daycare. First day “She did great!” I even bragged about it on Facebook :roll_eyes: 2 hours into the second day, I receive a text from the lady watching my kid that said Ellie had not stopped screaming since I dropped her off, and she was concerned her umbilical hernia was going to rupture (which can’t happen). She said “I’m going to have to ask you to pick up your daughter.” WELL didn’t see that one coming. I told this lady that my kid was colicky and born a preemie and her belly hurt, but she said she could handle it. Obviously she couldn’t handle it.

Yes I had just got a job at the one preschool, I was able to take my daughter’s, it was great. My 2yo was bad with leaving mommy. Would screma not listen.
Was there 1 week and they fired me and kicked my kids out. :neutral_face:
Still hurt by it. Was June of this year. I’m nervous to find something else for her. I just am so scared. Ugh

Send her with a book of pictures of you!

2 Likes

A months not long she maybe needs time to settle ,some kids are like that when their routine changes,give her more time,maybe her favourite cuddly will help,talk to your daycare sure they will help with settling her

1 Like

I’d be more worried as to why the fuck they are not trying to help her not cry all day.

6 Likes

I work at a daycare and no they can not kick at 2 year old out for crying. They are just babies still. And give your child time they will adjust. Moving them to another room was probably not the best idea. Now your child has to get used to ANOTHER room

4 Likes

Pay attention to her crying maybe something to it

3 Likes

Trust your baby. Maybe try another daycare with a totally different vibe. Your baby knows what she likes

5 Likes

u think those ppl dont have patience… cause they would of help that lil child find comfort…but does she cry so when she is at home.

You can try giving her an item (eg.blanket/stuffed toy) that she’s familiar/comfortable with. It works for some children when they’re in a new environment.

Some kids have separation anxiety and it takes them longer to adjust. They need a bit more encouragement in the morning. They need to know that you will be back for them.

I have found that most of them get more upset if you try to console them. Which means that you just don’t. Every 15 minutes or so I would try to soothe them and if it made them more upset, I would tell them it’s ok and walk away. Then finally one day, they let you. I had another child that had to be greeted by a certain provider to transition into the environment.

You need a provider that will be patient and kind. Not ignore or get nasty because they cry. It’s hard and scary being little sometimes.

Now some children are just not happy with the environment. It doesn’t always mean you have a bad provider, sometimes they don’t like certain people. Which is ok. I would start looking for a different daycare.

Your daycare should have an open door policy and if they don’t….RUN!! And if they do, do a surprise drop in and see how things are going.

Good luck to you and your little. :heart:

5 Likes

My daughter used to get pushed out because she cried. It broke my heart. I found finding a private care provider for a more one on one helped my daughter tremendously.

1 Like

I’d try to find her a new daycare. I’ve worked in childcare for about 10 years. It definitely takes children a bit to get accustomed to daycare esp if they have been home with you for awhile but I always did everything I could to help with that transition. Moving a child after being there for 2 months will more than likely prolong the process as your taking them put of their familiar environment when they haven’t even got used to it. It sucks having children cry all day, every day but they do get used to it and it’s something the teachers need to be working with them on. If it’s giving them extra attention, distractions, a toy that they love or even having the parent bring in something that will help calm them but moving them from one room.to the other will not help. It would just make matters worse imo.

She may be getting over stimulated…

1 Like

I would be switching her daycare. There is something going on if she is crying all day long.

2 Likes

Absolutely not. In my 14 yrs of working in childcare,not one child has been excluded unless for extreme behaviour, like violence. But even then alot of other measure’s are done before exclusion. As for them moving your child to another room. If it’s for the pure reason that they moved your child because they are unsettled, that’s not okay and they have just made it worse for your little one, because now it’s another unfamiliar room that’s not going to help them settle and possibly have made the process worse. Children need time to adjust to change and settle in without you being there. It’s normal and can take a while.

1 Like

she cannot get kicked out for that.

If she is crying all day, something is really wrong. Stay home!

2 Likes

I’m sorry but if my child cried all day anywhere I’m not taking them back! I don’t want my babies crying and having that stress regardless

7 Likes

Settling a child is so important… Maybe one of the caregivers could form a bond so the child feels safe and secure. Unusual for a small child to cry for so long…

4 Likes

My daughter cried for like that the first few days and finally she got attached to one of the providers. I knew when I went to drop her off I handed her immediately to her, then I would I turn around and walk out bc that provider was soo happy to see her and made sure her back was turned to me and that my daughter was pre occupied. We paid for a place that had cameras in the room so I would check on my phone as soon as I got in the car and she wouldn’t be crying anymore :heart: they taught me standing there and saying bye and dragging it out causes more stress rather than distraction. If this kind of care is not being offered please find somewhere else. Not only for her but also for yourself​:heart: you got this momma! Hang in there!!

3 Likes

I have never heard of a baby being kicked out for crying.I have worked at daycares and went to college for all that.that is horrible if they do. If they do that they don’t know how to do there job.maybe talk with them about it and if they do talk with the next provider.just letting them know the baby has colic.baby’s cry and sometimes for no reason.it’s there job to take care of that baby.that makes me mad if anyone does that.

2 Likes

I worked at a daycare for years. Crying for one month isn’t necessary bad especially if this is her first time in daycare. She may need awhile longer to adjust, she’s still a baby. Normally there is a teacher or two there just for these reasons to give baby girl the extra attention she may need to cope with seperation anxiety. And we never kicked kids out for crying only for extremely bad/disruptive behavior.

Try making her a picture book with pictures of loved ones that she can look at while at daycare.

5 Likes

How long has she been in daycare? We have had a few like that and in all honesty, it is hard. So hard to hear the crying all day. HOWEVER, those few we have had, came around with a week or two. We allowed comfort items and slowly would take them away as the day went on as they grew more comfortable. We would comfort them for a little bit and then ignore the screaming while we did our circle time occasionally asking if they wanna join (which usually caused the screams to get louder because we talked to them). I work with that age daily. Separation anxiety and change is hard but being consistent is what will help her come around. Switching I find a little crazy. But again it all comes down to how long has she been there?

I’m sorry your little one is going through that!Maybe she needs a smaller daycare center or to be be at a inhome daycare if you are comfortable with that.Maybe one where someone only watches a few kids.

1 Like

What a super difficult situation for you :pleading_face: I cannot imagine having to leave her crying. I super feel for you. I super hope that you can find alternate care for her your baby :pray:t3::two_hearts:

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Have any of your kids been kicked out of daycare for crying too much? - Mamas Uncut

When I worked in a daycare we didn’t kick kids out for that. As a teacher we worked with the parents to help the child be more comfortable. We would often tell parents to make a routine that was quick and sweet. For example. Coming in, putting stuff in cubbies, washing their hands and then handing the child over to a teacher or an activity. The routine helped the child to know what was happening or was going to happen. Your child just needs to bond with the teachers. Try bringing a favorite stuff animal or blanket that they can use in a quiet area when feeling sad. Your child will adjust…it may take longer than other children but that is ok. Switching rooms maybe tough because now she needs to get used to another set of teachers and new kids. Be consistent. It will get better

11 Likes

I did ECE for 25yrs……it is completely normal for all the crying. Every child adjusts differently and at different times. Try putting family pictures in her cubby so when she is sad she can look at pictures of her family….If she has an extra lovey keep it at school and my biggest suggestion would be make drop offs short and sweet. The longer you stay the harder it makes it. A daycare will not kick a child out for crying too much. That goes with the territory . Good Luck!

4 Likes

Maybe you should find a inhome daycare where the child will feel more at home, and less children and see if that helps. I have worked in daycare and now I run my own inhome daycare and at the age of 2 children tend to do this I recommend parents to do drop off at the door but in my experience kids will usually stop the moment their parent is gone.

3 Likes

Does she cry anywhere else like that. If she doesnt then I would say she doesnt like something about the daycare.

7 Likes

Can I ask have u brought her to the doctors to see if its anything physical that’s causing the crying to rule that out first or have u tried to leave a shirt with her that smells of ur perfume so if she gets upset the staff can put it beside her or have they facetime u if she s crying to see if that will settle her and if they kick her out for excessive crying I’d personally not want her there all babies are different and it could just be a phase even if it is going on a good while but I’d definitely try these things first

1 Like

I’ve never heard of a daycare kicking a child out for crying… biting or violence maybe, but even then there should be meetings and trials of ways to help her cope. It can be scary and overwhelming, she’s still adjusting. Have you tried sending a security toy, blanket or something? Have you tried going in early so you I u can play with her for a few minutes before you leave?

1 Like

No. Crying is normal. If anything your child will eventually become comfortable with teachers and being away from you everyday. My daughter when she was 2 cried for 3 months straight from drop off to pick up. They would take her to the office or directors room during nap time hours. It faded once she knew it was routine and it was a safe zone for her

First off, as long as she is not causing any bodily harm to herself, teachers, or other children, she shouldn’t be kicked out, if she is, I’d report the center. Secondly, it’s common for kids her age to cry all the time after leaving a parent. They’re going through separation anxiety and just want their parents or someone they’re used to. Some things to help with this is sending something familiar in from home with her that she can keep all day, like a blanket or stuffed animal, or picture of you (her parent). Also, the teachers should be interacting and engaging with her. They should have her chose what she wants to do where and then sit there and engage her in it. This should help lessen the crying throughout the day.

1 Like

I used to work at an early education daycare and crying is totally normal. Most dont usually kick out for crying. It took alot for our place to kick a child out. I had many kids who cried for many months straight.

The only time my children have ever cried when I dropped them off at daycare was when there was abuse happening and I wasn’t aware.

1 Like

Sounds like no one is interacting with her, might not like being alone all day. I would make them explain their daily curriculum and then follow up to make sure that’s actually happening

4 Likes

As valid as all these comments are it’s worth investigating if that’s a safe and reputable daycare. See if any other parents in the area have negative reviews. It’s very possible it’s normal and she’s just a kid, but there’s always a possibility of mistreatment from staff or neglect

11 Likes

Normally only violence behavior they will kick them out and even that takes awhile. I’ve worked in daycares my whole life never kicked a kid out for crying. We jus explain to the parents their child crys all day and we can’t hold the child all day long so as long as your ok with it then we deal with it its our job. TRY SLEEPING IN A T SHIRT OR EVEN HET BLANKET-SHIRT FOR TWO DAYS SO IT SMELLS LIKE U THEN SEND IT WITH HER TO ScHOOL. It Normally takes some kids about a month or two to adjust if they never been in daycare before. I had one infant who refused to drinks from bottles so mo. Brought it her shirt that she slept with and I had to wrap it around the bottle and that’s onky way she woukd eat

I remember when we took our daughter to the daycare near our house she cried a lot and for some reason I was not at ease. We took her our from that daycare and found another one, way better than the first daycare. The staff at the new daycare made our daughter’s transition really easy. I think daycare staffs makes a lot of difference.

You need to talk with the daycare. Get their input on the situation. Let them tell you exactly what is going on and have them give you some ideas as to what you can do to help. Work with them. Don’t be afraid

1 Like

My daughter did that at her first daycare when she was around that age. I ended up switching daycares and it was never an issue again. I really think there was just something about the daycare or teachers that wasn’t right for her and at that age that’s the only way they can tell us.

1 Like

I work in a daycare & we have never kicked a child out for crying to much

I had a child that cried for about 2 months working in childcare and the child had really bad separation anxiety…she did stop and I think it bothered the childs mom more then it did anybody else.

Do you just drop off and pick up or do you take your time and read a book or play before and after. Also if you have a day off maybe go sit with her for the day

2 Likes

I work in a daycare and have a couple of them but we find ways to distract them…if the daycare cant figure something out then find a better, more loving daycare

1 Like

Advice from a 1 year old daycare teacher.
Ask the daycare if you can have pictures of staff and the classroom, every morning the first thing you do is tell her where she is going and who her teachers are. Secondly, have the teachers use que cards for a schedule so she knows the day to day routines such as what they will be doing through out the class. Thirdly, bring something from home that reminds her of you such as a teddy bear with your scent for naptime, or a little stuff animal attached to a blanket. If she is attached to the blanket the. Have a small section of the blanket that has your scent on it. Fourthly, a family picture the teacher can hang in the classroom or have a picture book she can look at. Hopefully this help.

Don’t worry about her getting kicked out instead try to find out why she is crying for extended periods of time. Does she cry alot at home too?

1 Like

No! She is completely fine, she just needs to get use to the change!!

Doesn’t sound like teachers are interacting with her

Heard of kids being kicked out because of bad behavior, but not crying

Some kids just take longer to adjust.

They don’t care a child needs comfort

1 Like

Send her one of your shirts with your sent on it

1 Like

Yes. Find out why she is crying.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Have any of your kids been kicked out of daycare for crying too much? - Mamas Uncut

I would be more concerned that the day care workers do not have the skills to soothe her.

10 Likes

Why is she really crying so much? Does she cry a lot at home? Are they not tending to her needs? Maybe this daycare is not for her. I made sure when placing my autistic child in daycare they could actually care for him and if they couldn’t I would’ve found on that would have. I feel this is beyond the basic separation anxiety

8 Likes

That’s so heartbreaking :sob::sob:
Clearly there’s something wrong. Her needs aren’t being met at the daycare.

13 Likes

That is A-day care provider’s job to care For children no matter what age. That’s what they get paid for… So they will figure it out. She’ll be fine it’s probably just separation anxiety from mama

1 Like

She doesn’t feel safe or secure. Change day cares

9 Likes

I’ve worked at multiple daycares before. It surprises me that they haven’t tried to calm her down or stop her crying. After a month you would think she wouldn’t be crying all day. They obviously haven’t done anything to try and calm her down. I would be asking them what they are doing to try and comfort her. I’ve had kids/babies who have cried all day when they first come to daycare but it only takes a couple of day’s to get them in a routine and comfort them. Something isn’t right on their part. Just my opinion :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Do you know why she’s crying, do she cry a lot at home? l would have to find out why, it’s just not normal for a child to cry all day every day for a month.

6 Likes

Also be sure she takes anything with her that gives her a sense of security. If they won’t let her have it there then go somewhere else.

It tells me this isn’t the right daycare for her. Babies feel vibes even when parents don’t. If this is the only place you’re having issues, I’d change daycare. Is she going full time? If she’s only going 1 day x week, that could mess things up. Good luck!

11 Likes

My nursery did settling in sessions and made it perfectly clear to me my daughter wasn’t happy to start with, but after 8 weeks she’s getting better, goes to staff for cuddles, eats, plays (born during lockdown and only ever been with parents and grandparents).

If she’s crying all day I’d maybe try a new daycare if she’s been a few weeks and it’s not working x

1 Like

Actually depends on your state’s code and the type of daycare. I owned a home daycare and there is a legal basis. Her crying all day distracts the teacher to focus on her alone vs the # they are allowed per teacher. That can cause a safety issue if the crying is bad or goes on for to long. I would definitely find the cause especially if she isnt doing it with anyone else. I had kids that would do cry or throw fits for the couple days to a week until they adjusted. But never l heard of a month without a cause for it.

She is a toddler she is just learning,give it time she’s learning coping skills,communication all the important things.

I had my son at a daycare where he cried all the time. I switched him to an at home daycare and he’s fine now. I would really look into if she’s happy there. There was nothing wrong with the daycare he attended, it just wasn’t his cup of tea

I would find a different daycare. She’s not comfortable there for some reason. At that age crying is the only way they can express their fear and anxiety. Listen to her.

Hey momma,
Coming from both a mom perspective and a early childhood educator. If she is crying all day as they claim then it concerns me that the staff are not knowledgeable in the childhood field perhaps this daycare just isn’t a right fit for her.

39 Likes

Maybe you can let your child bring something to daycare of significance or something they are attached to. My sister lets her daughter bring her security blanket :gift_heart:

Is it her first time in day care? Young ones do cry alot in the beginning. I have never heard of someone getting kicked out for crying.

Most daycares have cameras now. Ask to view the camera so you can see if they need to do something different or handle her a different way than they are.

I would send her a picture of you with her to daycare so she can look at it when she misses you :heart:

I am an in home provider and have had to let a child go before for this reason. I also have my degree in ECE with additional certifications in addition to meeting my state’s requirements, so I am more than qualified and knowledgeable in the childhood field and I can tell you that with the ration being 1:6 for one year olds, and 1:13 for two year olds…. We can try to console the child and distract them etc but if they haven’t adjusted to the daycare setting after a month… maybe they just aren’t ready… maybe the classroom is too full for her and she feels overwhelmed. Maybe in home would be better for her… however… to say that because a child is crying like that indicates that they are getting a bad vibe from the provider or the daycare itself is unfair. Not to mention that with that many children in a room all needing attention and to be fed and changed and interacted with… we cannot simply devote 100% of our time to one crying child when we have 12 others. Additionally, when that is the case… the child won’t eat properly, they won’t rest and neither will the other children. I would try a more intimate in home setting or accept the fact that she isn’t ready and stay home with her a little longer. :tipping_hand_woman:t2:

No way… hopefully they try everything they can think of first.

Ask director if cameras are in use and ask to see if available? Im a chilcare provider, and I have had kids cry throughout the day for however long it takes to adjust. But usually they get into the routine and do well after. In one occassion I did have a little girl that had a difficult time with separation and no matter what we did she just didn’t do well. We included her in everything, loved on her, sang to her etc. She would be ok for a couple of minutes and then again crying would not stop. She was a great kid. Personaly as a Parent I feel daycare isn’t for all kids. Or maybe it’s just not a good daycare. Parents have to work and sometimes there is no other choice. Definitely look into whats going on while she’s attending daycare. Not all employees are well with kids. Best of luck.

Try a different daycare. It’s not a good fit. She has feeling too

1 Like

No. I don’t think that is possible.

Uhmmmm I don’t think they can legally do that

Is that your only concern is getting kicked out ???

5 Likes

I worked in daycares for 5 years while in school. Honestly, find her a new daycare. Sometimes it’s just not a good fit.

5 Likes

Maybe she’s crying because she feels the bad energy in that place!
I hope they are showing her love & care and not frustration. Because that will keep her upset.
Maybe you should take her out of there. And the next place you go to, go with her and stay a bit. Play there with her for a bit. Watch them interact with the other kids too. See if it’s a good fit for her before just thinking they are good and qualified because they are a daycare.
Your daughter could be trying to tell you she don’t feel good there.

4 Likes

No but I worked through school at a daycare and we had a boy that cried all day every day. I tried everything. Finally, after tons of googling and looking up articles. I tried the schedule repeating. “Jo , we will eat breakfast fast, we will do circle time, we will go outside, we will come in for centers, lunch, nap, then mommy will be here” I told him repeatedly and assured him mommy would be back. Made a little board with pictures and he also had a tiny framed pic of mommy. After a week, he stopped but he would repeat the schedule for couple more weeks.

8 Likes

If she’s never been In daycare or away from you much it’s normal. They have separation anxiety, we had a 8 month old that cried for three months straight and it wasn’t because we were a toxic environment it was simply because she had separation anxiety. They just need to find away to distract her and redirect her, it can be hard and trial and error to find the right thing. We finally found that pulling fabric out of a tissue box soothed her. I don’t think moving classrooms would help I think that would just cause more anxiety.

I would find a new daycare if it seems as tho they are complaining about it and haven’t tried anything new to help her

2 Likes

As a daycare teacher, I will say that (at the daycare i work at anyway) we have to call parents if the child cries for a solid 15 minutes or more. Its up to the parent what we do next. We can continue trying to comfort the child or the parent can come get the child and we’ll try again the next time. That being said, I do have a couple of toddlers who will cry for a good little bit after their parents leave but then are fine before the 15 minutes is up. Or they’ll stop crying and then start back up, therefore missing the 15 minute mark. We encourage parents to stay for a little while if they can/want to, to make sure their child is comfortable. It seems to help both the children and the parents. We also send home a paper for parents to fill out that is like a “getting to know you” thing for the kid. Like what the kid likes, doesnt like, their preference on how we do things (bottles/no bottles, paci/no paci, along with discipline, i.e timeout, principals office, parent phone call, ect) so we tend to use things from that paper to try and make the children feel more comfortable. We also let the older kids help, and my 8 yr old and 10 yr old are REALLY good at calming the younger kids down :heart:
To answer your question tho, I don’t think they should be able to kick her out for “excessive crying”, but if she just doesn’t calm down at all, I would probably look for other childcare options :confused: hopefully the other class makes her more comfortable and it doesn’t come to that

I have worked in childcare for over 30 years. Please find a new daycare. It’s hard for kids when they first start. But the teachers should be consoling her and trying to direct her attention to other activities. A good teacher will do whatever they can to help your daughter thru these rough days. Unfortunately these days there are a lot of people in the childcare business for all the wrong reasons. Don’t give up hope. You’ll find the right place and the right teachers. And then you’ll be amazed at how much your daughter loves daycare. Good luck!!

1 Like

I would suggest focusing on the reason why she’s crying.

My daughter did the same thing until a friend suggested to send her with her blankey, no problems after that, does she have a comfort blankey or toy?

I would say try not to worry. I work in childcare and I have yet to see that. On the other hand, if she were too, it is probably in her best interest. Someone has got to make her feel safe and have the patience to do so. Adjustment periods are hard and can last awhile, but keep being consistent and she will eventually fall into a routine. :heart:

My daughter is one with severe separation anxiety she just started daycare but has formed a bond with her caregiver she cries all day somedays they say but they say it’s because they are still getting used to their surroundings maybe do you bring a comfort toy or blanket with that may help also and maybe say mommy will be back later :slightly_smiling_face: I hope this helped a little

I worked in a Montessori and a little girl that was over 2 would cry all day. She had NEVER been away from mom only if it was with grandma. She was an attached little and struggled very much with the change. I would set her at a table and give her a few options of things to do/play with. We would leave her be to settle herself because talking and trying only made her cry more. Whenever we as the group would do something I would always say her name and try to welcome her to join and she wouldnt. She finally would settle herself down and do some work (thats what we call it in Montessori) like puzzles, books, she did other hands on work too. She would do it for a while and then start crying again. They didnt need her there often and then they moved so it never actually stopped.

Someone at the daycare isnt doing a good job of trying if they tell you daily that shes crying. She should settle in after some time. Seems to me someone doesnt like to deal with the crying ones and just isnt. :confused: