Have I gained too much weight with my pregnancy?

I gained around 20 pounds with my oldest he weighed a lil over 7 pounds and then with my moddle i gained around 30 she weighed 6 pounds even and with my youngest i gained 40ish pound and he weighed around 8 pounds…my youngest is 8 months and im still carrying around 15 pounds i gained while pregnant but i have 3 kids under 3 and had my tubes tied with my last baby my husband is fine with my body and constantly reminds me im not fat just relax and enjoy your pregnancy and after you deliver rest recover and enjoy your child and when your ready then you can worry about how much you gained and what you want to lose because all that matters is you and your baby are healthy

I averaged 50 pounds a child. All 3 pregnancies. Lost everything within a couple months. Eat healthy, walk, be good to yourself. Have chocolate as needed

Before I had gained weight, I ended up losing 15-20 lbs in my first trimester. Then from there up until I gave birth I had gained about 70 lbs. Which 25 lbs was water weight and baby alone. He was over 6lbs

I gained 80 lbs. during my pregnancy and my son came out almost 10 lbs.

I was told my baby was big around the same time and he turned out to be 6 pounds when he was born.

I gained about 40 lbs with my first baby and sadly it wasn’t in my boobs or butt or stuck around at all… I was 5’8 and 110lbs… underweight with fast metabolism that made it impossible to gain weight. Baby came out, I went down to about 120 ish before Covid hit. He was a 7lb baby , but when they measured him before delivery they said he’d be a 5-6 lbs baby.

I gained 81 lbs with my 1st. I lost 35 in the first trimester due to being so sick. I had a 9 lb baby. I gained 16 lbs with my last . Baby was 9 lbs 4 1/2 oz. My OB was mad during both.

With my first pregnancy I weighed around 120 and by the time I had him I weighed almost 170 (he came out 7lbs 3 oz). Everyone’s body reacts and changes differently. I wouldn’t be concerned especially if your ob isn’t.

I’m 5’9 and I weighed 150 when I got pregnant I ended up weighing 210lbs. So I think you are okay

I gained 45 lbs with first and baby was 6lbs I’m 5’2”

I’m regular 117 lbs, I was just under 240 with my first, I had a ton of problems, I gained about 70 with my second and around 60 with my 3rd lol

Everyone is different. If your OB does not seem concerned with your weight, I wouldn’t be either.

1 Like

I’m 246 and my Dr said to aim for no more than 15 lb weight gain… so it’s all what your doctor says and suggests.

Your ok mama … y’all are happy and healthy then no worries . Don’t worry

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Have I gained too much weight with my pregnancy? - Mamas Uncut

I’d not say that was big for 27 weeks tbf? Not overly anyway. My little boy was averaged at 6lb 6 at 33 weeks.
Just dont worry, we all gain weight when pregnant, you’re growing a whole little human.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Have I gained too much weight with my pregnancy? - Mamas Uncut

I gained 100 pounds with my first. I threw up the ENTIRE TIME. Hormones will mess you up! Every person/pregnancy is different. As long as you and baby are healthy, that’s all that matters! :heart:

Just keep eating healthy. Back in 1981, my OB constantly lectured me about my weight!
He never did an ultrasound. I gained 50lbs. My son weighed
10lbs. 11 oz. !! I lost 20 lbs the day I had him!

I gained 65 pounds with my daughter! Luckily I lost it all and then some

Listen I gained 80 pounds in my pregnancy. My doctor wasn’t worried because I was still very healthy. Baby girl was 8.1 at birth. I lost 40 pounds super easy, just on those last 40 :grimacing::grimacing:

Well I gained 15lbs with mine but I’m already a little overweight😂. I lost weight with my pregnancy then gained it back but turns out it was all baby weight. Soon as he popped out, I was back to normal.

Everyone is different. We all have different bodies. I had 1 friend that gained 100 lbs…yes. 100. She was 5’4…no one should judge. Me…on the other hand…5’4…gained 30 each time…Ur doing fine

I gained nearly a hundred pounds with my son. I was 95 lbs when I got pregnant, I was 189 lbs the day I gave birth. And by the next day I was 135. I ended nearly 110lbs, a healthy weight for my height and age. It depends on you and your body.

1 Like

I’d say of you’re eating right bar the odd craving indulgence try not to stress
My mum almost doubled her weight with me, I was totally average, she could barely eat due to morning sickness that lasted the duration; it was mostly fluid. Take care of yourself and your little nuggie :kissing_heart:

My first pregnancy I gained 70lbs. This pregnancy I’m almost 23weeks and am considered overweight at 35lbs. Crazy thing is I only eat a meal a day usually, in both pregnancies lol. Every one is different and so is every pregnancy :heart:

I was told to keep it between 20-30 pounds. my mom gained 40 with each pregnancy and she was very healthy. She started off super lean though before getting pregnant (5’7”. About 125 pounds).

1 Like

My doctor told me the healthy weight gain window should be 15-25 pounds.
My first pregnancy I was young and used being pregnant as a reason to constantly eat, so I gained 80 pounds. By my third child, with that pregnancy I was healthier at the start and more educated, and I only gained 22 pounds. It’s all about how you handle what you put into your body.

2 Likes

My first i gained about 70lbs, and it was all baby… He was healthy and I pretty much went right back to my normal weight after he was out… I would say you are perfectly fine…

I think that’s within the range of normal weight gain for a pregnancy. You’ll gain more in this final stretch until the baby is born because the baby is about to start putting on real weight too. Every pregnancy is different.

I gained 28lbs. My first pregnancy my Dr. scolded me for gaining too much weight, I weighed 100lbs when I got pregnant, I thought my weight gain was fine, my second pregnancy I gained 32 my third I gained 23, everyone is different if your Dr. Was concerned they would talk to you about it. Try to eat healthy, sometimes hard, the more you gain the harder to lose though

I’m also 5’10" I gained 65 lbs with my daughter. She weighed 8lb10oz. Lost all but 10 lbs by the time she was 5 months. A lot of mine was fluid. I think everyone is different.

I gain a fair amount with both of mine but was eating healthy. Your body knows what you need as it’s building a whole new little person. I got a stroller and daily walks and walked off the extra weight after both were born

I was 7st 2lbs when I went to find out if I was pregnant…the day I delivered my boy I was 11st 2lbs he was a healthy 8 lb …I didn’t lose all my weight after …but in my second pregnancy I gained 3st and my girl was a healthy 8lb 3 and 1/2 ounces …I was only 5ft 2 inches

I gained 60 lbs with my first. But I was young and didn’t know exactly what I should be eating so if I wanted something I ate it my son weight 7lbs 1 oz. My second baby I only gained 32 lbs and she weighed 6lbs 14 oz. My third I gained 40 lbs and he weighed 6 lbs 5 oz. I was healthy and so were all 3 of my kids. Just don’t worry about it and eat healthy, do pregnancy exercise, walk, swim, whatever your doctor recommends and you’ll be fine.

Ask for a dietician. I had one during my pregnancy and it helped so much they give you a list of foods that you can have and how much you can have. I immediately dropped all my baby weight after birth.

I’m 5’2 started at 120ish. I’m 37 weeks now and I’m nearly 170. I thought I was gaining too much but my doctor says both me and baby are healthy and everyone else says I look super tiny other than my newly developed butt and thicker thighs so I guess that’s where most of it went.

Back in 1970 (21 yrs old ) I weighed 87 lbs. I gained 84 more. Got down to 104 after an 8lb 4oz girl! Dr gave me 18lbs to gain total. Well, I passed that quickly!!!

I was told 15 to 20 pounds but already gained 25 with 15 weeks. It depends on your starting weight how much they recommend you gain but tbh aslong as you and baby are healthy
, who cares :woman_shrugging:

I wouldn’t go based off of what your doctor says about baby’s weight. I was 6 months pregnant and my daughter was already reading at 5 pounds on the ultrasound. when she was born she was only 6 lbs, 12 oz at 40 weeks and 1 day. I was around 108-114 when I got pregnant and gained 33 pounds. if there aren’t any problems with you or baby, eat what you want! cause you probably won’t get the chance to again lol. pregnancy has ruined so many foods I used to love. good luck mama. :orange_heart:

I had my daughter at 29 weeks and had gained 60lbs. I think every body and pregnancy is different. My second i gained 7 lbs but started out only 10 less than when my daughter was born, so… it all varies. I think if you are feeling good qnd eating a rounded diet, you will be fine!

I’m 5’10 as well. Gained 55 with my 1st. Was able to get it all off & then some. 12 years later gained 35 lbs with my 2nd (was heavier than when I had my 1st). It all depends on how strict you were b4 pregnancy & how much your habits changed…and yes, the 1st you always gain more. Don’t worry about it!! Everybody’s different. You will be fine as long as you don’t encounter issues with blood pressure.

I have 4 kids with each one I gained less I was fortunate that way… my question to you is have you talked to your Dr and asked them their opinion? I’m 5’9 my last daughter was 3 weeks early and weighed 11l’lbs 1oz I gained a total of 20 pounds while I carried her I started at 180 ended at 200 even …

Honestly I would just keep making healthy choices…if you’re dr is concerned enough I’m sure he would test you early for gestational diabetes. Not to mention those u/s are notoriously wrong. Don’t stress about it and let previous posters said if you breastfeed the weight does melt off

I’m 5’7, started at 162 and am now 184 at just about 24 weeks. I’m thinking I’m gaining too much, but the doctors say that everything looks good from their end!

Nah, I gained around 65 with all 3 of mine (I’m 5’3 and about 125lb). The Dr sent me to a nutritionist and everything :roll_eyes: But I took it all off after each one! Although, the less you gain, the less work you have to do to get it off! Lol

1 Like

I was same put on so much but I had so much Waters o leaked for 24 hours loads then had loads when I got my waters broke them had even more that first time when baby was delivered though I do have 2 stone on me now which I can’t seem to shift :sob: xx

25-25 lbs is normal for the whole pregnancy. On average, you only need 200-300 more calories per day when pregnant. “Eating for two” doesn’t mean double your caloric intake. Talk to your doctor, especially if it’s a lot of water weight/ankle swelling… Too much water weight can be a sign of pre-eclampsia

I gained 22# with my first and 28# with twins (made it to 37 weeks)

I gained 85lbs with my first kids 5’3 btw. I lost 100lbs after her. Gained 50lbs with my son and still have 25lbs left after 10 years. Honey, there is no rhyme or formula for how your body creates life. Just got to roll with it and life and happy and healthy life.

Everyone is diffeeent I’m on my first pregnancy and I’m 5 months and have gained 3 lbs

That seems a bit much they want u to gain but slowly and I’m here to tell you it’s easier on your body at the end if u haven’t gained excessive weight…I gained 55 with my first and then I learned with my middle and last child. I didnt hurt or ache near as bad not having extra weight to carry. Be careful and listen to your doc. Everyone does different.

They say 25lbs but don’t worry I did the same thing with my first baby. Your only supposed to have one extra snack more than you normally would. It’s hard.

I believe healthy gain, (baby and placenta,etc) is about 15-20 lbs. If I remember correctly.

If you’re overweight to start, they don’t recommend the same weight gain as say someone whose underweight
Im 25 weeks and gained around 7kgs, but I was low bmi pre preg

i gained 50 pounds with each pregnancy and both times I was 10 pds below pre-pregnancy weight at my 6 week check up.

One thing i want to point out gaining weight during pregnancy is normal, you actually can’t control how your body handles all the changes to your hormones and appetite ect… My weight has always ranged between 47kg (103lbs) and 55kg (121lbs) my whole life, I’ve got 2 kids now and I weighed exactly 79kg (174lbs) at the end of both of my pregnancies and I’m 4’9, I put on roughly 32kg (70lbs) by the end and the doctors never mentioned I’d gained too much weight and I’m A LOT shorter then you lol I really wouldn’t stress about it, your body is making the necessary changes it need’s to in order to be able to sustain both you and the baby during the pregnancy :pregnant_woman: and besides some of that “weight” is also the baby, the amniotic fluid, the placenta and water retention :blush: if there was any concern about how much you’re weighing in at your appointments, your doctor would express their concerns about it, stop stressing and just sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy mumma :blush:

I gained about 30-35lbs through my pregnancy. It was my first pregnancy and I was eating healthy, bit did the same with cravings. I think it was just the DNA mix of my husband being a large Colombian and his family are fairly tall and large, as is my side too. I am 5’3". Just make sure the doctors are keeping tabs on your blood pressure as well as any diabetic or preclamsia issues that could arise.

I gained 28 lbs and my baby was 10lb 3oz normal delivery

“Recommended” weight gain is 25-35 #'s. Smaller people should gain 35 #'s, bigger women 25 #'s.

Ive always been told (all 3 pregnancies) 25-35lbs *up to 40 because I was very small to begin with

My doctor explained to me it’s not so much about what youre gaining during pregnancy. There are a lot of moms who gain more than the suggested 25 to 30 lbs. The problem is health complications that can occur making your pregnancy high risk. Gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia can be a lot harder to manage in bigger women, and whenever there are issues with the placenta such as placenta previa/placenta accreta, they almost always require baby to be birthed by c section. Getting closer to the 300lb mark can make it so much more difficult for your doctor to ensure a safe delivery for you and baby. As long as your doctor has not mentioned any of those issues with you, just take it easy and try to find healthy alternatives for the junk food. For example, craving salty snacks could be due to stress, boredom or dehydration, cravings sweets is tied to magnesium deficiency, craving ice or non edible items is linked to iron deficiency.

Sounds right honestly I’m 35 weeks only 5ft tall and I’ve gained almost around 50 and they been telling me that’s great that I’ll still gain a good amount before I have her in like a month but if u think ur gaining alot talk to ur doctor but I’ve been told as long as ur gaining at least a pound a week that’s fine if more even better

1 Like

Keep eating healthy and walk more , but at the end of the day you are doing something amazing and weight will come off later

What you put on now you’ll have to take off after so I’d definitely consider making better choices all around. Everything is harder to lose after…

I wouldn’t worry, I was plus size with my son, at 24 weeks they said he was around 3lb 5oz, he was born at 38w and was exactly 8lb

I gained almost 70 lbs my first pregnancy lol. While that isn’t great, there weren’t any health concerns during my pregnancy or after.

I gained about 45-50 pounds my first pregnancy. Its common first pregnancy.

1 Like

I’m 24 weeks and I’ve gained 12 pounds so far. I eat pretty healthy, but I do not deny myself treats. I know women who have gained much more, and gained less. I know my baby is gonna double size over the next month, so I’m expecting a jump in weight soon. It’s not just fat you gain. Blood volume, amniotic fluid, placenta, the weight of your uterus, baby, breasts. I really don’t feel that now is the time to worry about your weight gain- unless you develop diabetes or your dr says something. Has your doctor told you to slow down the weight gain? Are you eating healthy more often than junk? It really is never a good idea to restrict calories in pregnancy.
Listen to your body- your body will tell you what to do. You have a growing human in there, so now is not the time to worry about your weight in my honest opinion. Unless your doctor says something, or as I mentioned you develop diabetes, I wouldn’t worry. For the best interest of your baby, I’d make some healthier choices and cut the junk down. 45 pounds is a lot for your stage of pregnancy. Do not restrict calories, but however much junk you’re eating- cut it in half and replace with a better choice. Also watch your sodium- you could be having edema and retaining a lot of water weight. If you don’t feel you’re eating unhealthily for the most part, edema could be the culprit.
Hows your blood pressure? I know someone who had toxemia and she was so swollen by the end of her pregnancy she looked like a different person due to how puffy her face got & how much weight she gained. I’d talk to your doctor.

Maybe stick to more fruits and vegs when wanting a snack And maybe try grain chips and cereals. Ik its hard because i eat candy but i try to limit how much. Im 5’2 and about 170. And almost 5months and gained 5-10pounds which the doc said is on track. Everyone is diff tho and will gain diff.

i was 5 11 weighed 190 when i got pregnant. i was 232 when i delivered.

Healthy weight gain is 20-30 pounds.

Congratulations. I had a miscarriage where I didn’t know because I never bled, but when I went to go check out my 15 week old baby there was nothing there, but my continously growing bubble uterus. I want kids.

20-30 pounds is the normal expected healthy weight gain. Also, if you choose to breastfeed you’ll need to increase your caloric intake as well. Good luck! :blush:

I gained 66 with my first and lost 40 almost right away, I think I was retaining water. I haven’t even kept track this pregnancy :joy: don’t stress about it, everyone is different

Mu advice is to try and control those cravings. I gained about 47 pounds and when I gave birth I lost about 20 now it’s so hard to loose those extra 20 pounds. Breastfeeding not always help because you do get hungry a lot with breastfeeding. My mom always told me let the baby gained weight outside. Anyway the baby will gain whatever it needs anything else is extra on you. I know is hard to control eating sometimes because I was so hungry during ny pregnancy but you are only suppose to eat 200 extra calories than your usual, which is not a whole a lot more. Just try your best not to gain a whole a lot more, trust me your body will thank you.

I am 5’2", and at my first pregnancy I started at 210 and got up to 265. Second pregnancy same starting weight, but only got up to 250. Now my third I was 187, and I am 12 weeks now.

I know they say about 30 lbs is the ideal Mac weight to gain but as long as you and baby are healthy and Dr’s aren’t concerned, your ok, you’ll just have “extra” weight on at the end to lose if you want

Have they tested you yet for gestational diabetes? That may be why your baby is a little big. Talk to your doctor best wishes for you and baby

I’m 27 weeks pregnant too, starting weight was 122 I’m about 157 now I typically go up to 175 with every pregnancy. This is my 4th and I always end at 175 no matter what I started at :woman_shrugging:t2:

Every pregnancy is different. Don’t let the doctor make you feel bad about your weight. I gained 80 with my first and only 15 with my last. :woman_shrugging:

Im 5f9 last baby rushed in for scan at 32 weeks saying he was going to small. But at 32 weeks he weighed 7lb

The weight gain isn’t just “fat” it’s baby too and the placenta, and the fluids, blood vol etc.

I’m 28 weeks pregnant and up 39.8 pounds. I’m 5’7 and expecting a boy that measured a week ahead of schedule. My husband is 6’2.
So far no gestational diabetes and everything is healthy. Even though I am more on the heavy side I eat relatively healthy and walk my dog at least 30mins a day every day. I just started incorporating swimming 1-2 times a week that is a great workout with no pain in my back.
Also reduced my salt :salt: and upped my veggies+ salads.

I already know my baby boy is measuring tall just like his father so as long as my health is good I’m not worried about the weight gain. Just have to make it to mid September due date :pray:

I have an 11 year old daughter who is also very tall. She weighed 7.5 pounds and 19 1/2 inches. I was unsuccessful breastfeed her. It took me 10 months to lose all the baby weight back then.

Don’t stress about the weight if you’re eating healthy. Everyone’s body is different. Everyone’s metabolism is different. Don’t stress it

I lived in Puerto Rica when I had two children. The doctors there refused to allow expectant mothers to gain more than 15 pounds. You were hospitalized if you did. It was hot and there was little air conditioning in the 50’s. I was happy because immediately after giving birth, i fit into all my old clothes. My children were both born above average birth weights and I stayed skinny.

Just carry on as you are. After this baby comes especially if you are breast feeding,you will lose it

About 20 lbs of that is baby and fluids.

Standard weight gain is about 24lbs by 40 weeks :upside_down_face:

What does your Dr. say? Just remember you will have a lot to take off if you gain more than baby wt.

My OB was brutally frank and told me we don’t eat for 2, we need to eat well.

Ask your doctor. I gained lots of weight with my second but she was only 6lbs.
My first child I gained a ton of weight but also lost a ton of weight. I had that hyper thing where I would just get sick. The second to last month I lost 7 lbs then like 9lbs the. Like 12 lbs then they put me on McDonald’s/Burger King ice cream diet for the remainder she was only 6lb 8 oz

You can gain weight and the baby not so much. I’ve known people to loose weight and have bigger babies. Talk to your doctor about you before asking strangers on the internet and getting any ideas in your head

If you’re overweight it is recommended to gain 20-25lbs only. But if you’re doctor isn’t worried, you shouldn’t be.

What !!! Your baby is almost 3lbs that’s crazy. Are you sure you don’t have twins ?

Don’t worry. Stress only effects your emotions
No worries your weight is fine.

I find it alarming the amount of comments that say “don’t listen to the doctors”

The suggested weight gain during pregnancy is 40 lbs!! Try cutting down on your servings sizes, first!

You’re growing a human! Eat the heckin pizza :heart::heart::heart:

As long as your confident who cares. We all get big being pregnant. :tipping_hand_woman:

1 Like

ask your doctor, bc s/he will tell you when it’s a danger to the baby

Check for diabetes.Yes you can be fine.I gained 65 pds.30 of water weight.