How can I be a calmer mom?

I love being a mom but I am so on edge these days and i dont know why…i dont eve have toddlers anymore…my youngest is 10 and i get a lot of free time (which i spend working outside of the home) and still when they get home from school…anything sets me off…idk what to do anymore as i do not want to be like this

152 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I be a calmer mom? - Mamas Uncut

On edge like what? You get mad?

Anxiety will do this

4 Likes

Drink wine.
It works wonders

8 Likes

Therapy or parenting classes. Lots of self care. Relaxing mediations and learn some new communication skills/ anger / emotion management

2 Likes

Being aware is good. Just try to be aware of it when your getting angry and calm yourself down. Imagine your kids looking back at their childhood and remembering you angry. It always puts things into perspective for me.

8 Likes

Try watching gentle parenting videos on tik tok. Make sure you calm down before talking to kids. I have been trying to improve also

1 Like

I feel you! I have zero free time and don’t know what to do but definitely looking for a job to just get out of my house. I have 4 kids 15 13 10 and 5 and they always bickering over the smallest things

2 Likes

I feel this. Some days I’m just irritated for no dang reason. I still love my kids of course but they definitely get on my nerves. I think it’s just part of being a mom. Unless, it’s extreme I wouldn’t worry about it. Just breathe momma

3 Likes

Try counseling. It could be untreated anxiety or depression.

6 Likes

You sound overwhelmed.

I have found that when my needs aren’t met, this is what happens to me. Have a quick snackrifice, and drink some water.
I do some quick yoga, even if it’s just bending over to touch my toes. Take a walk, get outside and put my feet in the dirt. Or just have a “mom time out” I usually take a toke or 2. I also will sit in the car and watch a video or 2. Just some unwind time.

6 Likes

Weed is definitely a quick fix. But I’ve found anxiety/depression meds have helped me TREMENDOUSLY on the daily! :relaxed:

3 Likes

You lost your happiness inside yourself.

2 Likes

It’s definitely anxiety. I was exactly like this. Anything was setting me off, I was always yelling, always angry. At night I would cry because I would feel like a horrible mom and didn’t know what was going on. It got to the point where I couldn’t get out of bed anymore. I am on meds now and honestly I am so much better. I have more patience with my kids, I no longer yell, or am angry. I’ve found joy in things again. You are probably overwhelmed and it’s okay to not be okay. Definitely recommend to see either a therapist or psychiatric.

6 Likes

Get help from gp or some one you talk too .

You need some refill time

I used to be this way with my kids, I started going to therapy and learning how to work on myself and deal with my issues in a healthy way, I also changed my lifestyle and avoided some toxic people and unnecessary drama in my life

2 Likes

I have adhd and my sensory issues have me angry a lot. Loops ear plugs. Noise canceling. Take music breaks even for a song or two.

2 Likes

This is me with an almost 3 year old and being 6.5 months pregnant. Im just hoping its all the hormones and the toddler stage.
My daughter hits when she gets mad (at only me really) and its when Im just trying to parent…like tonight I got home late after some car trouble and my husband hadnt even gotten her in the bath yet (at 9pm!!) and I told her it was bath time and we needed to go inside and she tried to hit me. I moved to make a “safe space” and she came after me again and I lost it. I forcefully picked her up and brought her into the office and made her sit facing the wall for “timeout” (which lasted a whole 20 seconds) while I raised my voice at her because Im so sick of her trying to hit me…which I also am not sure where she got it from because we do not hit, but lord I just get so mad like a switch is flipped and I hate raising my voice, especially at her. Sorry long rant. I hate being that mom, just when it gets to that point

3 Likes

Xanax, edibles. Everything is getting the best of everyone rn. Hang in there, mama

2 Likes

Check hormones… maybe it is perimenopause

2 Likes

I feel like this when I’m overwhelmed and burnt out. Use your free time to make some you time. Apart from work.make time to replenish yourself from within…hobbies,morning run etc

Try and have a routine where things are done b4 your kids get bk from school if this is possible like cooking and cleaning … So when they bk u can calmly and fully see to them wo trying to multi task homework, all their questions,dinner and laundry.

Listen I pretty much sure we all go through this I know I do and when I have my good days acting silly with kids etc they laugh but later ask mommy u having a good day today me: yes I slept well and got a piece of mine etc

I started getting like this when I was pregnant, currently 33 weeks pregnant now and still every little thing sets me off. So I either shout or I cry. Could be hormones or it could be anxiety. Please speak to a professional and get help.

6 Likes

Maybe that’s the problem is now that the kids don’t need as much looking after you have too much free time. Good time to start exploring yourself!

3 Likes

Hope this doesn’t get me in trouble here, but smoking weed 10000% makes me a better mother. When you are at your wits end, want to rip your hair out, stuff your ears with cotton balls, and have no patience left, 5 minutes outside with a bowl makes me a new woman. Kinder, gentler, and eases my nerves so I can enjoy being a mom even when my autistic adhd toddler is climbing the walls

Shmoke some weed :woman_cartwheeling:t2:
If you don’t want to smoke there are tons of options for edibles or tinctures too :smirk::wink:

17 Likes

Twist up a fatty, spark that bad boy up and call it a day. Thanks for stopping by my TEDTalk. :sunglasses:

14 Likes

Cbd pen is what keeps me sane I get anxiety for coming home to a dirty sink with dishes trash on the Kid’s floor just small things that are NOT worth making your child feel low I automatically regret yelling certain thing’s so cbd is my key :key: not anyone’s fault for the way I feel but my own I am my own person and anyone I love deserves the best of me hang in there momma you will find your key.

One day those kids will be adults and you’ll wish they was at home getting on your nerves.

5 Likes

Do something fun for yourself. Schedule a mani pedi appointment and take yourself to lunch. Call up a girlfriend. If affordable, schedule a routine massage. Catch a movie every once in a while. Make time for you and you only.

I am losing sleep right now for the same exact reason :broken_heart:I picked up my phone to exhaust my eyes and distract my guilty conscience and your post found me on my timeline. Defeated is not nearly deep enough of a word to express the level of low my spirit was drowning in before your post and a whole lot of encouraging comments has made me feel a whole lot less alone and a little less heavy hearted. I wish I could be a comment full of optimistic positivity however though I can’t be; I hope it helps in some way to know your not vibrating alone on this frequency alone​:revolving_hearts: Someone else in a previous post had mentioned something along the lines of the power of acknowledgment. I agree with them. To me your post was incredibly courageous and a different kind brave. Being able to not only acknowledge and face your own ugly (even if you haven’t yet found a way a way to defeat it) it is incredible to be able to acknowledge a disconnect from the person your soul is reminding you to be​:green_heart:sometimes we forget to remember who we are when building the person we’re working to be. My grandmother who raised me always had such a calm coordinated demeanor and that’s the person I really hope I’m working to be. I’m still far shot from her or you for that matter lol bravely acknowledging and reaching out with your post is already a start in the appropriate direction. Your one step closer to being like my super cool kickass nana in that regard​:love_you_gesture:you got this girl, and on really hard days, try to remember you are not alone luv​:green_heart:I think all parents share this is a universal truth​:pray:

Everything works out momma​:pray::hugs::blush::grin:

2 Likes

U must have baby fever :rofl:

Has it been recent or prolong?
Us women have hormones. Could it be something is throwing them off?

1 Like

Pause. Practice the pause

4 Likes

Therapy is expensive. Smoke a blunt :green_heart:

11 Likes

It could be hormonal. Call your doctor. See if he wants to do bloodwork. That might show the problem. It could also be that now you’re working outside the home, you’re spreading yourself a little thin. Are you worried that some of the household chores aren’t getting done? Stuff like that? Maybe it’s time to delegate some of this stuff. Have the kids help out. Yes, they have homework, but they can push a dust rag first, or after. Or take out the trash after supper. Maybe run the vacuum in the living room or something. A job that doesn’t take long, but would help you out enormously. Maybe you should take time in the evenings to call a friend and confide in her what you’re feeling. Sometimes it helps just to talk about it. But I do think your best bet is to get in contact with your doctor and see if there isn’t something he can do. It won’t hurt to try.

Sounds like depression. I get like this if I don’t take my antidepressants. Maybe find a therapist or a doctor to talk to xx

I say give yourself some grace. Us moms deal with alot of crap. These last few years aren’t helping much either. Much love an respect from another momma.

Anxiety, Bipolar Disorder, borderline personality disorder, vitamin D deficient, or maybe getting your thyroid checked or cut back on Sugar.
I’d advise you to write down everything that you’re feeling, thinking, and experiencing no matter how small it is…and seek out help from a medical professional, especially from a psychologist.
We tend to ignore these little signs but they get worse as you get older if left untreated.

2 Likes

Start thinking about how you would feel if someone treated you the same way and if you wouldn’t like it don’t do it… count to 10 when you start getting upset or higher if that doesn’t help… let them know you’re having sensory overload and apologize, calm down, and come back again. Pick and choose your battles. Remember they’re little humans :wink: make sure you balance things with love :heart:

Also I agree with Mary Jane to calm down unless you don’t smoke :laughing:

1 Like

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 20687 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.

M0re Info. https://amazingjobs843.netlify.app/

Sounds like you’re burnt out. You need to find something that is calming whether that be going to a day spa for a few hours.

Anxiety meds helped me with that. It’s such a life changer…for me, at least. I wish I would have been open to it years before.

2 Likes

Get your hormones checked

1 Like

Def sounds like depression/anxiety/both. Start with a therapist if things don’t start improving after a bit talk with your doctor. Also it could be the chaos when they first get home. Routines help my kids know what’s expected of them after school. It cuts down in the behaviors that do set off my anxiety. Also I had to make a rule that no one taps or grabs at the back of my arm bc it’s a trigger.

I felt the same way to doc tried to put me on depression meds but I felt like that wasnt the problem they checked my hormones and everything came back normal. However I decided to try birth control and boy did that make a difference. Good luck I would go to the doc have them run everything to make sure you are not missing something even when everything was normal it still wasnt

No judging :heart: I feel the same way. My son is almost 8 and I piece like a piece of shit mom bc after I get home from work, I go straight to my room and just go straight to bed. I don’t want anyone talking to me. I’m exhausted. Everyone irritates me. Now I feel like crying now that I finally get to talk about it.

St. John’s wart, works great

1 Like

Goto church! It has helped me so much calm down and not be so high strung. I still do it but not as much! I’m able to catch it before I totally spin out and crash

5 Likes

10 and up are worse than toddlers

6 Likes

Definitely sounds like depression/anxiety… see your doctor about medication. That should help you out. :heart:

2 Likes

Go to the doctor and tell them exactly what your feeling. There could be a medical reason your feeling this way. Have you tried meditation?

2 Likes

I’ve found since three of my kids have been in school , I have quite a bit of free time , I started to get quickly triggered with them and I believe it’s because I’ve gotten used to having no one around for almost seven hours a day and then they come home and they’re chaos , it’s loud , messy ( after having a clean tidy home all day ), having to get supper cooked , homework , baths , and 8/10 chances there’s at least two or three petty arguments between the three . It may not be your problem but this is mine and it could be a big possibility.

All I can say is our emotions can get the best of us and sometimes take right over , chin up , us as moms are only human and we feel :heart:

17 Likes

Find an activity to release your anger. Run, gym, meditation, boxing classes… personally I hit a rock gym & free climb to release mine. It’s worked wonders.

2 Likes

Maryjane can help with this :green_heart: I’m 50 and she’s helped me for over 30 years.

19 Likes

It’s anxiety. I was the same way. My doctor put me on a low dose of Xanax it helps. 0.5.

1 Like

Maybe you should go for a walk when u get home. Stress reliever

1 Like

Sending you all the love and support. I’ve been/continue to be treated for depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder and still have this issue. Going to your Dr isn’t the cure all everyone thinks it is. Good luck!! :heart: it’ll be okay.

1 Like

First I want to say it was great that you recognize that you are on edge and you are reaching out. Your taking a step towards being better. You’re not alone in feeling this way. Be sure to talk to your doctor. Maybe get the kids active too if they aren’t already. They can burn some of that energy outside playing or maybe playing a sport.

2 Likes

Maybe some CBD drops

1 Like

I’m the same way with my 4 year old … it makes me so sad. And i don’t know why I do it.

Are you having panic attacks

Don’t go to a doctor and just get meds for anything you need to see a therapist because meds can make it worse and once you start meds it’s impossible to get off them because your brain won’t work on its own anymore. Your therapist can tell you if you need medication. Doctors will prescribe anything to get a paycheck without the proper knowledge on the substances.

5 Likes

Therapy.
Also, look into Meghan McGlover. She has a meditating app and she’s really great at helping you ground. Yoga, Tai Chi, etc.
Retrain your brain. You are so used to the quiet, noise sets you off. I do it took but I feel it coming. I leave the room. I take 10 minutes and regroup. It’s gotten way better but it took trial and error until I found what worked for me.

Yes! I feel this! So am I! Ughhh. I think part of it is our country being flushed down the toilet and no one is doing anything about it. It’s depressing to me and effecting my life. :pray:

1 Like

You: yes, you have free time but besides work do you do anything for you? Gym? It will help with your mood, your energy level, feel better about yourself. Shopping? Not for the house, not for the kids, for you!

Child: is he driving you crazy because he’s hyper? Get him doing thing, riding bikes, jumping on a trampoline, kicking a soccer ball around, swimming. What is he eating? Cut back on processed food & red food coloring. Or is he just there, touching you, so close you can’t move? Give him screen time for an hr while you relax & get dinner done, at dinner give him your time, ask questions about school, his friends, what’s coming up this week, if there’s anything new. He needs something from you. He needs you!

2 Likes

Time to see your Dr. I don’t know your age, but have you heard of perimenopause? It can start in your late 30s.

1 Like

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 21513 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. M0re Info. https://jobsgalexy566.netlify.app/

Drink wine and masturbate often. LoL. Try edibles.

7 Likes

Medication and therapy

1 Like

try your hardest to control your anger towards many small and dumb things - if your on medication take them regualy and honestly try your dambness to keep yor anger under control that’s the best i can say

I get the same. Glass of wine helps me out or over the counter stress and axiety tablets/gummies

You may have depression. That’s how I was before I started taking medicine for it. Mine came out in anger. I would be furious for no real reason, yell, & then go cry because I was being mean

6 Likes

Your youngest is ten is a hint to me that you may be starting to go through the begining stages of Menopause. Many of us start in our mid 30’s. Short patience can be a sign. Go to a Dr.

3 Likes

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 16249 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. ===> https://imaginative-quokka-e52ada.netlify.app/

Your hormone levels might actually be off. I’m not a doctor but just throwing that out there bc of my own personal experience.

1 Like

Free time is not work

2 Likes

Working outside the home is not free time. Do something nice for yourself.

4 Likes

You are not getting an actual break though, like a day where you get to relax with a glass of wine or a nice bit of green (whatever you like) to sit back with out in the sun or something?

See a doctor. Anxiety

Read a book about how to be a good parent. We can all use a little help. Or you could be going through menopause. My patients with people was a little short but I was working two jobs. Trying to make ends meet and get out of debt.

Recognizing that you don’t want to react the way you do is a great way to start change! Sometimes the things children do can trigger you, it’s good to recognize if your being triggered and make a game plan on how to handle certain things. Another thing is feeding your inner child. And self care!!! As a mom you do so much. And you have to take care of yourself mentally and emotionally and also be there for your children and sometimes husband the same way. So take some time and express how you feel! :heart: hang in there mamma.

Does your individual therapist think you’re ready for emotion regulation work? Dbt is great