How can I change my childs doctor?

Hello, I was wondering what’s the process if I want to change my kids doctor? I know I have to find a provider and change it via insurance but do I have to contact the old office to send medical records over or do the new clinic call and does it for me? Thank you.

3 Likes

Interview a new pediatrician and find out if they are accepting new patients. If they are request a new patient appt. And call your insurance to let them know your primary care for your child changed. And when you go to do paperwork for your new provider ask that they send over paperwork and fill out the medical records request form.

1 Like

I just made an appointment with the new doctor and they handled switching the medical records. Super easy.

1 Like

You will have to sign a medical release to have any records sent to a new office. Alot of times you just sign it at the new office and they will take it from there

Most new pediatricians only need the vaccination record. If there are major medical problems or surgeries they will need that information also.

Depends. Some offices will have you sign papers, and then they’ll call the old office,or you’ll have to call to give them consent to send over the old records

When I switched my oldest daughter to the doctor my youngest and I share I didn’t have to do anything, all her records were in the system :woman_shrugging:t3:

I just went into the doctor office I see and said I want y’all to see my son. And it was ok we will set it up

Can’t really answer if we don’t know what country province/state you’re in lol.

1 Like

You have to sign a paper to have them faxed over unless you pick them up

Why laugh? Its a valid question.

You can ask the old office to send their records to the new Dr. Or your new Dr can request them. You’ll have to sign a release.

You’ll have to sign a waiver for the new Dr to request the old records. That’s true for pretty much anywhere in the US.

Usually the new one will request the records