How can I file for divorce in an inexpensive way?

Call around and find someone to work pro Bono. They’ll make him pay for their fees as part of the settlement

2 Likes

Do you have pro Bono lawyers in your state?

What county are you in? File prose and it will just cost the filing fee that you may be able to get waived.

Contact legal aid through your dhhr welfare department they will take care of you. Also sign up on food stamps. Get him for abandonment. And if small children wic. And help with bills link baby sitters. HUD housing

2 Likes

In Texas we have a legal library and they have forms there for free for you maybe they have something like that in North Carolina until then anything that you own with him that has value can be sold because it is considered an emergency for “necessities” and you cannot get in trouble for it. Sell off every single thing that he owns

1 Like

Message me ! I can help

He has to pay back whatever he took just a heads up

You need to find out how long you need to be separated before you file because I’m in Louisiana and I had to wait a year to file for divorce because of our children. Unless there was abuse.

You can do it yourself, it’s a lot of work and a lot of reading and understanding technical terms, but with children, assets and wanting your money back a lawyer is the best way unless you know someone either in the court system or familiar with law that is very knowledgeable

I did my best friends divorce for her. Printed out the papers, told her where to sign and what to do. It isn’t hard, especially if you’re determined. I hope you have a good support system around you.

I’m In indiana, but i printed my own divorce papers from online, filled them out. Make 3 copies. Take them in to have them notarized and apply for a waiver for the cost of the divorce.

1 Like

Check into legal aid!

1 Like

Talk to all the lawyers you can regardless if you work with them because then when you finally get one he cannot go to the ones you spoke to out of conflict of interest, look into WIC, assisted living programs and ask about abandonment on his behalf

Legal aid in your county

File for divorce and I would suggest you have a copy of the money he withdrew from bank so you can get half of it at divorce! Him leaving doesn’t mean you don’t get half! I would also file for custody and child support! You should have checks that proves what money he makes!

1 Like

How long have you been married? He walked out and that’s in your favor.

3 Likes

Go to your County Attorney. They can help you.

Check lol your local government/town hall for help and aid! I am so sorry this is happening to you :frowning:

Don’t wait for anyone else. Go on to your counties/state website and do the filing yourself. In MN it cost $350 because we were ammicable. One court appearance. Custody was included in the paperwork for divorce. But you will need to apply for child support through your local assistance program.

You can do it yourself. The court has fee waivers and work shops to help you.

1 Like

Try looking for a local womens crisis center. They often help w lawyer, counseling, and a place to stay

1 Like

You can also get him for abandonment of you and your girls because he left with no warning and took all the money!!

4 Likes

In NC you have to be separated for a year

I did my own divorce. I printed the papers online got him to sign and notarized. Filing fee was $260 and most of the time you can file for a waiver. Hopefully you can get him to sign :pray:

No legal advice but good luck momma I wish u the best. There are some things u can do 2 financially help u though. Local food banks, churchyou donation of food, Medicaid, wic only helps until age 5 in our state but it’s worth a shot. I wish u luck.

Yes you can do divorce online but usually both parties agree with how things are to be divided up. Sounds like he is a rotten swine and can’t see him being agreeable about anything on the financial side let alone custody :rage:

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I file for divorce in an inexpensive way? - Mamas Uncut

I did mine with the help of the YWCA. I was a DV victim so I’m not sure if that makes a difference. I think they help all woman regardless, a lawyer literally filled my papers out and had me file. However since the divorce I now have a lawyer on retainer because apparently trying to modify the parenting plan has become a game to my ex-husband

2 Likes

Go to your local domestic violence outreach location and ask for a referral to legal aide… at least that’s what it’s called in FL… but basically it’s free attorney services…. And… please don’t minimize and think that just because maybe he didn’t lay hands on you you weren’t abused… financial abuse is very much abuse and him leaving you with no money is abuse… power and control… he’s making it difficult for you to leave the situation

4 Likes

See if you have a legal aide close by… when I got my 1st divorce a friend gave me a copy of their papers and I did mine up with my info we signed and notarized them and took them to the court house and all I had to do was pay a filing fee

3 Likes

It seems you want sole custody. Did he say he didnt want his kids?

You can pick up divorce papers from the courthouse for free. The two of you need to fill it out, sign it and return it with payment (probably 50 bucks or less). show up for your court date.

1 Like

Prayers -
I’m so sorry-
3rd - Hire a shark " have her bill him for the cost " -
While he legal marriage to you - he legal responsibility for you - since he empty the account- ship him all the bills too -

2 Likes

My sister got a lawyer for low income and it was like $60 an hr no retainer fee and then her lawyer motioned for her ex to pay for it… I think she went though the state

1 Like

A woman’s shelter can help. You are being emotionally and financially abused. They have a lot of resources at their disposal

2 Likes

I believe i got my papers from our local library and filled them out, we signed and got notarized and filed at the court house. I don’t remember it costing much at all. I didn’t have kids at the time but I think if nothing is contested it can still be that simple. No lawyer needed unless he wants to fight you for something or custody

1 Like

A lot of lawyers will meet with you one time pro Bono and give you advice

1 Like

Call your local bar association and they can guide you. You need help from legal aide.

3 Likes

Well the fact he walked out the soon the better and you should get custody without a problem since he walked

1 Like

Thats considered criminal spousal abandonment you need to file a request for spousal support Also do an order for him to contribute to the bills

2 Likes

Need to check in with child support office so they can track him down and get your money for the children.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you have United Way it’s a 211 number to call here in texas maybe another for your state

1 Like

Go to the YWCA!!!
They helped me get my divorce totally FREE!

The only thing that I paid for was the filing fee, of $14.00.

I ended up winning $2500 a month for three children. But it’s all according to what the computer spits out.

Btw; Since HE walked out on you & the kid’s … He made a fatal error in draining the bank account!

Be sure to tell the Judge the exact day that he left & told you that he was separated from you … and THEN bring paperwork “SHOWING” the date & time he emptied the bank accounts!!!

It’s called Illegal honey! And the Judge will MAKE him, give that money :moneybag: back! At least half of it! Or possibly more … as he also left you with nothing (I assume) to pay the rent & bills?!

Another wrong move, that he cannot do. And be sure to write :writing_hand: ALL this down, to go over … in “Family Court” when your discussing having Full Custody, and his limited visitations.

As he show’s Zero regard for the children’s welfare. Roof over their heads, and daily needs, such as food, and safety.

As he left them without a pot to piss in. :triumph::rage:

• God Bless Luv
    When all this is over, there is a program available to you … to get a house :house_with_garden:
    Believe it or not!
    With the same money that you are currently spending on rent. But it is only available while you have children. If you are interested in the program for later, Let me know.
2 Likes

Go see the court facilitator. They’ll help you fill out and file. Usually free unless you’re well off.

1 Like

Legal aid and possibly Community action are some places here in Ohio

1 Like

It’s illegal for him to take money from the account during a separation

1 Like

You need to bite the bullet and stay married until you can afford a lawyer. You can be separated and still retain your rights as a wife.

1 Like

Ask for the forms and ask for an indigent package so you can file and not pay. Most can be printed off the courts website. Just make sure to file correct documents.

1 Like

I did a disolution. Very cheap

Make him pay for it just file legal separation to protect yourself then set up a court mediator it’s free to make sure you have custody of the kids then file for welfare until you get him for child support

3 Likes

First of all living in North Carolina, you have to be separated for a yr, before divorce proceedings can occur. I would highly recommend getting employment, getting some kind of daycare/babysitting for your girls & I would get a lawyer. It’s going to be a lengthy process

2 Likes

Amanda Slycord Thompson

Low and no income gets free papers

We have a low income group here where we live if you qualify you can get law help free, check around your area.

3 Likes

Go to the court house and file yourself

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I file for divorce in an inexpensive way? - Mamas Uncut

I work for Legal Aid ( not in NC) and although most will have different criteria for what cases they take, most will be able to at least offer free advice. Even if it’s just on how to start the process for free or a lowered cost. It’s a good place to start if nothing else. Good luck!

Go to the courthouse. They can set you up with a free attorney based on income. You will want a separation agreement. And it sounds like you will need a good attorney. If he has money hidden, etc you’ll need to know. I would document everything. No matter how little. Date and time, etc.
if you have any credit cards with him, use it to buy groceries, pay bills, etc. if you have to go on government assistance while you’re figuring this out, they can help you.

Sell his stuff and get an attorney ASAP! He is still responsible for helping with the bills etc. You can’t afford not to hire one. Sell your rings, whatever you have to do and do it quickly!

1 Like

In NC, you have to wait 1 year from date of seperation for a divorce :frowning: I finally just filed mine on my own in April. They have the paperwork at the courthouse and you just fill it out, have him served, set a court date and then go. The court date is 1 mth from date he was served. It was $250 I believe and then I paid $30 to the sheriff to have him served. That was it, a lot easier than I had anticipated! Good luck!!

6 Likes

Find a hog farm. Then you are a widow with 3 checks from social security :woman_shrugging:

52 Likes

I went through a divorce a while back. I drafted all my own documents, filed, etc. I just called a law firm and asked them to proof read it. It was definitely time consuming but only cost me $250 including filing fees.

With that being said, it was a cordial divorce. Neither one of us asked for 50/50 division of assets. We just took what was ours and moved on.

1 Like

I’m in california and we have a fee waiver that allows you to file everything for free if you make less than a certain amount, not sure if this is a thing in other states, look into it.

I know someone who did an internet divorce and it’s legal. Do by all means file for welfare and they will get on his butt.

3 Likes

File first. Children will be where divorce is filed

Call legal aid and tell them your situation. File child support through the state. Apply for all aid you can so you can feed you and your kids. Find out about every available resource you can. Some organizations help with utilities as well.

6 Likes

I’d be opening up a credit card before i was left with nothing! 2 can act dirty. Pos. But you can most certainly get legal aide and regardless of state most are 200-250$ plus a filing fee. But start making a diary now even start it from last week if you can accurately remember as it will only help tremendously with custody of your kids which is the most important is protecting them! Also I’m not sure what your income alone is but you may be able to get a diversion payment through welfare which is a 1 time cash deposit but it’s to pay your bills you were left with and rent/mortgage. If not there is so many good resources out there you just have to Google and there is help out there now that you are a single momma!

3 Likes

That amount is probably just to start off with, you have to pay for Everytime you go to court. See if there is free Legal Aid in your area, your husband owed you half of what he too from the bank, and legal aid will probably check his other bank accounts cause half belongs to you too. Get him for child support and spousal support too show no mercy in court. Most states are a 50/50 states

2 Likes

Not sure where you’re located but in Nevada when I filed for mine it was $299…they will help you fill everything out at the courthouse for free…good luck to you!

Do you have a womens shelter or crisis center near you? They will have good info for you.

Don’t file for food stamps or welfare. File for daycare assistance and get two jobs if need be. Work your a$$ off to show your children how to get things done. Your local courthouse should have low cost attorney referrals and even a self help center. If you can show that you are working, it will look better in a divorce and custody battle. Hang in there, success is the best :heart:

1 Like

Legal aid or go take the class offered at the court so you can do pro se.

Go to health and welfare they will get you help with food and power and get child support started

3 Likes

Ive never seen so many back biting comments. Every parent should have joint custody of the children, and it takes two parents to successfully (hopefully) raise a child. Please don’t alienate the children from their Father. He is important to them. Discuss support and the intended outcome with your soon to be ex. I know you are hurt- but you can do this amicably. This is now a business transaction. Take your emotions out if it for everyone’s best interest. The two of you don’t belong in any family court- they tear families apart- brutally. Try talking to him- and give him what he wants- a divorce. The kids are both of your responsibility. Do you work? You will need to have a job to show you can assist in your children’s upbringing- not welfare. That’s not the example you want for your children. Be strong mama. You got this.

5 Likes

Look and see if you have a legal aid of some sort there.

If he has good enough credit, I will not tell you to apply for a loan in his name, (do not play like his name is yours) have the money deposited into your joint account, then immediately withdraw it. Also don’t apply for, or use a credit card he already has, in his name, and pay all the bills you can with it. Make sure you put a freeze on your credit bureaus first thing. Good luck. Sorry your kids have an *$$h@(€ dad. That sucks.

1 Like
1 Like

Dept. of Human Svc’s for your county offers free legal advice.

You can go through social services also I think

I have no advice other than to say I’m so sorry you’re going through this. What a pos!

1 Like

There are a lot of salty women on here. Not that I don’t completely understand. My ex did the same thing ( and long story short- I got stuck with a $10k bill for a lawyer when I was making $12/hr).
The cheapest way to do it is to file yourself. Go down to your local county office and they will give you the proper forms to fill out. It takes a bit of time, but it sure is cheaper than paying someone upwards of $500/hr to do it.
There are also places online that will let you fill in the blanks on the forms and print them out to hand it to file. It is slightly more expensive that way, but it’s kind of like someone is helping you out with all the details.
Also, I’m sorry he did that to your family.

2 Likes

Been there. Do whatever you got to do to pay that lawyer. They can file an emergency temporary order…it will stop him from further touching any finances, he will be ordered to pay you back any court cost and 1/2 of martial property he stole.

If you get food stamps or Medicaid. Bring your card and they will waive all costs… i have helped 3 people here in NC… it works !!!

Family courts offer free help. Good luck💕

I filed for a divorce and did everything myself. I’m in Wisconsin and it was 210 for the filing, $75 to serve him paperwork and a deposit of 200 for a gal. It took a lot longer for the divorce to finalize than most though.

Also, in NC you can get him for abandonment for just leaving and taking the money. It’s not allowed!

If you both are in complete agreement you can do the paperwork yourself, have him sign it and just pay filing fees. If you don’t agree on things, you can apply for Legal Aid which helps low income. There may be a long wait to see them but it is free. The key is both of you agreeing to the terms of the divorce which will make it so much easier but if you don’t it can be very lengthy and expensive. Good luck :ok_hand:

I was a sahm with not a penny to my name. Went to the courthouse, went in front of a judge to determine whether I could file as a poor person, it was granted, went and got the divorce papers and the fee was waived

Just file it yourself with the courts, have him sign it

Too bad you live in NC . . . Definitely a “man state” regarding divorce. I have personal experience with this (a friend who had to move in with me). Perhaps their laws have changed since then,
I certainly hope so.

Hire a lawyer and make him pay the fees.

DRAW up the papers yourself, get signed by 2 witnesses, get it notarized and take it to the courthouse…I did my own cost me 90 bucks to file it…You can go to legal forms, print off the forms for NC,plain and simple…

2 Likes

Legal aid, go file for emergency aid thru DHS, they will also go after him.

Go to social services tell them everything that happened. They’ll help u get child support to

1 Like

Hope you are well, doing good in south Dakota

Contact a legal aid department through the state.

1 Like

You can fill out the paperwork and take it to thw court and file it yourself. There is a small filing fee (about 150 or so i believe).

Depends on the state

Try legal aid in your area and contact social services for temporary help. Keep your head held high it will work out .

If yu draw ebt or medicaid or anything like that thru the department of social services…yu can get a divorce for free…call them and theyll tell yu all yu need to do

I filed for mine at the courthouse via the clerks office. It wasn’t very expensive. We did not use lawyers.

4 Likes