How can I get my 18 month old to sleep through the night?

Looking for advice on how to get my 18 month old to sleep through the night. He has slept through the night on rare occasions and will go 2 weeks-ish where he will do so but then we spend another 6-8 weeks not sleeping. My first babe has slept through the night since 5 months old so I just have no clue what to do but I am sooo tired. I seriously feel like I havent slept in almost 2 years straight. I feel like he’s old enough that this shouldn’t be a thing. We have a solid bedtime routine, he takes one nap a day, and goes to bed between 8-8:30, up for the day between 7-7:30. I’ve tried to let him CIO + sleep coaches but he’s so stubborn he’d cry in there for hours if I let him and my mama heart just can’t take it.

2 Likes

Maybe he needs more to eat. Maybe an evening walk to use up some energy. I was very lucky. All of mine went to bed about 8 and sometimes slept till 9 the next morning. Maybe take the nap away. Good luck not all kids need alot of sleep.

Put your child in thier room, tell them they don’t have to sleep, just to ne quiet and don’t stress about “you have to sleep through the night”. My son didn’t sleep through the night until he started school. I was told to do exactly what I said, and he just played quietly and I slept.

Make sure baby is getting enough calories during the day and is eating enough. So then baby won’t wake up due to hunger

Developmentally they might not be ready. My middle didn’t start till a little after 2. Even I wake up at night for water or bathroom.
Biologically Normal Infant & Toddler Sleep is a great group

Cut nap shorter or completely cut it out.

I had the same problem mine kept waking up in the middle of the night. He’s was old enough where I would put a half ounce of juice and half ounce of water in a bottle and when he wakes up and sees it he drinks it and he went right back to sleep

dont let them nap during the day and make sure he/she eats a big dinner.