How can I get my 5 year old to sleep in her own room?

just keep putting her her back may take a few hard weeks but she will get the idea

I am not much help… I can’t get my 9 year old to sleep in her own bed, it’s been a struggle since she was 1.5 she was doing good then one day we went out of town and she refused to sleep in her own room. Till this day she says it’s cause of monsters, or someone is going to break through her window and kidnap her. (We are in the second floor) she even picked out her own bed, slept in it once or twice with her dad sleeping on the floor. my now 1.5 year old sleeps in her own room. I lay her in the crib and she falls asleep on her own. The only time she refuses to sleep in her room is when she is teething. Sometimes I had to play Disney songs for her to fall asleep.

Best thing you can do (and the first few nights suck) is take her back in there. She comes out, back in. No lights no talks, just back in, covers, out the door.

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-can-i-get-my-5-year-old-to-sleep-in-her-own-room/12066

Jessica Dayton Clark

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-can-i-get-my-5-year-old-to-sleep-in-her-own-room/12066

Go to sleep dressed as Jimmy Saville

There are some supernanny videos on youtube that help with this, you will just have to look through to find them. But ive seen some kids chuck massive tantrums because they dont want to sleep in their bed. They always end up sleeping in their own bed

13 Likes

Try reading her stories while she is tucked into her bed and you are sitting on her bed. Hopefully, she’ll fall asleep faster than you do.

4 Likes

My 5 year old and almost 3 yr old sleep with us. We take 1 kid each as we have a queen bed in the spare room. My partner used to try so hard to get them in their own beds but he enjoys it now as we both know they grow so quickly and won’t want to be in bed with us soon enough.

1 Like

Not assuming any situations here, but I grew up with just mum and always wanted to sleep with her as well. We had 1 or 2 days where I could sleep with her a week and then I had to sleep in my own bed for the rest of the week. Might be a good first step?

17 Likes

We put a futon in our room. My son slept on that for awhile and then outgrew it. Then we put him in his own bed in his own room and we would lay on the couch until he fell asleep. Now he goes to bed in his own bed in his own room but we still tuck him in.

3 Likes

My son got a star for each night he went to his bed and stayed in bed and after a month got a new bike. It just helped break the habit. But you must be firm.

1 Like

My friend had this problem so she put a gate up at her door so her son had to sleep on the floor outside her room…Didnt take long for him to realize his bed was much more comfortable. Don’t give up.

17 Likes

My parents finally did a reward system for my brother. He had a chart that he got to put a sticker on for each night he stayed in his bed. After so many stickers, there would be a reward. It was the only thing that was successful. They tried just about everything.

6 Likes

My grand daughter did not like to sleeping in her room so I would go by and pick her up, bring her home with me and take her back the next morning. I would do it all over again.

5 Likes

When she comes to your bed tell the no, she has her own bed to sleep in. Take her to potty, give her a drink, and out her back in her own bed. Repeat as necessary, and be prepared for several rough nights.

3 Likes

Don’t let her sleep with you. Put her in the bed, read a story, and kiss on the head good night. Get up and walk out of the room. If she gets up, put her back in the Room and back in bed. Tell her this is where she sleeps, not with mommy. If she does it again, put her back in her bed and walk out. She may continue to do this but you continue on as well. The first few nights might be hell for all of you but she’ll get the hang of it. I’m not taking the credit for this. I saw it on Supernanny. Good luck

19 Likes

My son use to get up at night and want to sleep in my bed and he would say just for two minutes so I let him and whenever I told him his two minutes were up he would go back to bed. One night I ask him why he wanted to sleep with me and he said, “oh, mommy I miss you.” So I just moved over and let him have his two minutes. Maybe you should ask your daughter why she wants to sleep with you. She might just miss you too.

9 Likes

Awww so sweet, my kids did this right up til their teens, hopping in bed with me, just enjoy, children grow too quick, shes only 5, still a bubba enjoy

31 Likes

I don’t have an answer to this. My child slept in his own bed beginning with the day I brought him home from the hospital.
Good luck.

5 Likes

I never had my son sleep with me as a baby but one thing i did do was leave his door open and mine slighly open as his room was next to mine So i could hear him if he got up or wanted to go toilet in the night

2 Likes

My son was adopted at the age of two and was used to an orphanage set up. We were warned kids like this have a very hard time sleeping alone. So for about a year we had a small (type for camping) blow up mattress we pulled out at night next to his bed and we would lie down next to him until he fell asleep. He would have to stay in his bed but that seemed to help the transition. Soft music helped as well. Consider a sound machine or a small Playlist to fall asleep to.

6 Likes

When she comes to your room take her back to her bed firmly but gently. It took a month with me because my daughter slept in my bed because I was a single parent. When I got with my husband it was rough. She brought her sleeping bag and slept outside my door for several nights. Just keep reinforcing it

10 Likes

Get up and return her to her room if you give in it will continue you have to be consistent and firm each time she comes in you tell her no and take her back to room she is old enough to know what she is doing

5 Likes

Why can’t she cosleep with you? I coslept with mine. My youngest is now 8 and has just this last year transitioned to his own bed, although still wants to fall asleep in my bed or cuddled up in his sometimes. They’re small for such a short while. Enjoy them still needing you

30 Likes

LET HER SLEEP IN YOUR BED!! Theres obviously some underlying anxiety there and she will eventually get over it and move Into her own bed. We evolved to all sleep together in the cave may I remind you​:yum: . Please see if you can get a copy if “the biggest bed in the world”…it changed my whole approach to this situation.:heartpulse::rose:

2 Likes

Mine where just wanting a cuddle and some one on one time with me. So start with the youngest bed time routine but make an extra half hour for cuddles with you in your bed watch a dvd or read a story. Then half hour in there bed reading or just cuddles not to much interaction talking tho they’ll keep you there for hours. I still enjoy a quiet half hour with each where possible. (Even the teenagers still need that sometimes)

7 Likes

You tell her Santa is watching and he has noticed she doesn’t sleep in her room. He’s going to ask Mr Easter Bunny about it and if the room and bed remains empty, they’ll take it off the list of where to stop on holidays. Worked for me :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I always allowed my daughter to sleep with me whenever she wanted ( 13 now) and sometimes i ask her too lol she plops in on my bed every so often NOW …kids feel safe with you…try to encourage her but unless it is really bothering you just let her …she is 5( alot happened this year) she will eventually out grow this

1 Like

Co-sleep. Not all children are the same, she is needing the comfort of it.

6 Likes

She will grow out of it, they are little just once.
5 just once, and just like that they are 15 and you’ll be wishing she still wanted you like she did when she was 5. Your doing great Mom just breath, love,and enjoy the moments because really life is about all the moments.

5 Likes

I’ve really got no suggestions
I am a mom of 3 grown kids now and a 5 year old. My 3 always slept in their own beds with routine and sticking to it, returning them to their beds when they got up. My youngest however and I’m an older single mom my little one is always in my bed and tbf I don’t mind, she is happy and needs me. It won’t be forever that she wants me so I just roll with it.
I’m a full time nurse and my moto is getting to sleep without no drama, I ay got time or energy to fight with a 5 year old and tbf it’s not the end of the world. I like her being close to me. She is my world x

4 Likes

I had this problem with my 4 year old and I was pregnant I told her if she wanted to sleep in my room she had to sleep in the floor beside my bed in a sleeping bag. That there wasn’t any room in the bed anymore or she could sleep on the couch. She gave up in about a week and started sleeping in her room

5 Likes

It’s call tough love. When she comes in your room make her go back she will fuss and get mad it might take a week or two but it should work. I know it will be hard on you. But it should work in the long road for you and her

4 Likes

My granddaughter does with my daughter. My granddaughter is 8. So my daughter told her that Friday nights is her night and she can sleep in mums bed. It mostly works

4 Likes

Be the Parent. She’s five - she understands English. Tell her she must stay in her own room. Do not give in. Be the parent.

4 Likes

Just do the same bedtime routine everyday!! It is consistent routine that works…one night she will stay all night then praise her for her being a big girl…

2 Likes

Find her currency… children respond to consequences…age appropriate of course. One of mine liked money, another liked me to read an extra book at night and another responded to having a treat removed (no haters please…I am not talking about harsh punishment but every person has their own currency) One of mine was gradually introduced to their own bed with 'if you spend tonight in your room you can sleep in mine tomorrow night…and then we alternated it.
But it is also important to remember at 5 they are still just babies and might well need a little more time with you…
This time does actually go really fast, as hard as it can be while you sleep deprived, lean into it and enjoy every moment while you can…

3 Likes

Just don’t let her stay in your, be hard, have a backbone, but don’t make excuses.

4 Likes

Once you do the bedtime routine with her and she gets back up just take her back to her own bed without any conversation or talking and tuck her back in bed.You will most likely be up and down like a yoyo but they soon get fed up and go to sleep.

2 Likes

I took my daughter to the furniture store and asked what she wanted to make her want to stay in her bed in her New Bed room. I got a canopy window shutters, the white chest and dresser, matching comforter and canopy , mirror and pink shag carpeting. Of course that was back in the early 70s. Lol. I also got her the most compliant, loving cat that wanted to sleep with her.
IT WORKED.
I made everything like it was her choice and being a big girl. She slept with me and her dad since birth. She transferred at 4.5yrs

2 Likes

Stay in the room tell her good night sit down by the door and put her back I bed everytime she gets up say good night .The first night they try a lot to get up but stick it out finally once she’s asleep leave her room same thing night two by night three just put her to bed It worked for both my kids

1 Like

You do what you feel is best. Don’t let anyone tell you different. My first child was very hard to get to sleep by herself. My second did it by the time she came home from the hospital. Each kid is different.

2 Likes

I 100% understand…my 5 year old does the same thing. One thing that we are trying and seems to be working is an insensitive reward. I went to the 99 cent store and got a bunch of silly little things and if she sleeps in her bed all night then she got a prize in the morning. It didn’t work as well with doing it with a weekly reward though…she responds better with it daily. My daughter, Poppy, is into art and projects so that’s mostly what I got.
Anyway, good luck and I truly feel your pain…my daughter’s “soother” is to play with my hair. It was cute when she was little but now it’s like she’s trying to start a lawnmower with my hair :joy:.

All the best sweetheart and hang in there :green_heart:

1 Like

We had a one gallon aquarium in our daughters room from the beginning. It provided white noise and we could turn it on if we needed a light.
We also had glow in the dark stars on the ceiling.
Our daughters would pick a story for us to read to them. One to read to their fish. Then we would turn off their light. If they couldn’t sleep we told them to watch the stars until they quit glowing. It usually was just a few minutes before they passed out.
If they came into our room we said the fish would be lonely without then and they had to sleep on the floor in our room.
The fish always won over the floor.

2 Likes

I co sleep with my 4.5 year old. He loves it and so do it but then I don’t have a partner so it’s fine. As others said, they are only little for such a short time of their lives and once they are gone, their gone. Enjoy it whilst you can

2 Likes

You will need to keep putting her back in her room over and over. Sleepless nights ahead but it works. After the 3 an 4th time don’t speak to her, just keep putting her back to bed. Don’t lose your cool. Easier said then done.

2 Likes

I was totally appalled when someone suggested this to me. They suggested we put a latch on the outside of their bedroom door and latch it. Just sit out the screaming and crying. Eventually we gave in and tried it. If dont know who cried more, my son or me. I sat on the end of our bed and cried while my son went crazy in his room, screaming, shouting, and crying. My husband was stronger than me, and would not let me go to him. This went on for hours until he eventually gave up and went to sleep. The next night we did the same thing. He carried on for about half and hour and then gave up. Guess what the next night he went to bed with no problem and stayed in his bed. (please note we were watching him with a camera the whole time,) Please no negative remarks, it was one of the hardest things as a parent that we had to do but it worked.

Both my boys were like this we just waited until they were ready after trying everything, 8&6 now and sleep in their beds but occasionally come through if they’ve had a bad dream xx

We had a routine. Dinner, bath, get dress, get in bed, read a story, say our prayers, goodnight night loves and hugs were I layed with her for 5 mins after that I said goodnight. They went to sleep if they got up I put them right back in bed . Using Firmness and consequently do it works. Took only a few times with my son. My daughter never got into my bed. She always wanted in her bed.

My daughter always came wee hours of the morning finally one morning I told her she had to go in her own bed she was getting to big she said ok and that was that always went to bed in her room

1 Like

When she gets up and gets in your bed you have to put her back in her bed every time she gets up you put her back in her bed. Reassure her she is a big girl and needs to sleep in her own big girl bed tell her you love her give her hugs and kisses if you want lay with her until she falls asleep but when she gets up again you have to get up and put her back in her bed you have to show her you are going to be more stubborn than her

Try giving her a back rub and sit with her till she’s asleep, This helps my daughter sleep and she loves it. I’m also really firm about her sleeping I her own bed unless she is sick or comes in early for a cuddle.

2 Likes

Waited too long first of all. Lock your door to remove the option of sleeping with you. She’ll get the message quickly.

1 Like

Lord the women on this forum. Moms need breaks too. We need good sleep to be good moms. You can lay with the kid in her bed and sneak out. Yes they are little for so long but my 3 year old does karate in her sleep so no I won’t share a bed with her. I have to rub her head at night in her bed but she passes out in her bed and I don’t feel an guilt towards it. Yall assholes screaming she’s causing that child anxiety are hilarious to me. People confuse anxiety in children with them not getting what they want and throwing a tantrum. That’s what kids do. Give your child everything they want thats gonna cause a bigger problem. Talk it out but be firm. I need my alone time to be a productive parent for her during the day so yes moms are human too and can be a little selfish on some stuff. Don’t listen to these people. So many mothers suffer from burn out and depression because of advice like the ones these women are spewing.

Fall asleep with her in her room then leave but make sure the light is on and door is cracked…may have a few fails at first but eventually she will stay…what we had to do with my daughter

as much as i hated to lie to my kids i told them that santa doesnt visit kids who dont sleep in their own rooms. it worked

1 Like

My daughter puts a blowup bed next to her bed and my grandson hops into that. Doesn’t do them any harm

My two boys often slept with me and went to their own beds when they were ready and never came back. They outgrew it.

Stay in her room with her until she falls asleep for three nights in a row then it won’t be over do you not speak to her while you’re in her room do not look at here with your back towards her

Try having a sleepover with her in her room for a couple days. If you lay with her and wait until she sleeps, you can quietly sneak out and she will eventually get used to it

When you put her to bed, lay in there with her until she is asleep. Tonight start bedtime an hour early, so when she gets up, it’s not cutting into your time when she’s asleep. You’ll be less frustrated because she wouldn’t normally be asleep. We switched my daughter to her own room when she was two (she’s 3 now) but when I was reading up on transitions one thing they say is everything they pull for bedtime delays is just that, so they say not to interact with them. I don’t mean just ignore her, but calmly pick her up, carry her back to bed give her a kiss and walk back out. No yelling, no giving snacks or anything else they insist they need. There were nights I had to do this multiple times a night, even at 1 am when it would have been real easy to put her in our bed and go sleep in her. After two weeks she sleeps in her own room all night, the odd occasion she has come to our room but it’s for a legitimate reason and that’s totally fine. Being calm, and consistent is key. Right now she knows that when she wakes up she is going straight to mom and she knows she can sleep there. Also she is five so it might take longer, mentally prepare yourself you might be getting up 10-15 times to take her back to bed.
Start on a Friday night when you’re headed into the weekend. Then Saturday, make sure she is thoroughly exhausted. Like a huge outside all day, one big last play outside after dinner, bath, bedtime routine. Make sure she is just begging for bed. Then the first night she sleeps all night in her own bed, praise the hell out of her. Like over the top cheering, clapping, dancing, you slept in your own bed! Make sure you let her know how proud you are of her, but also ask her “are you proud of yourself”
Try and okay to wake or Mr Grow clock. So when she wakes up she can see okay it’s on the moon I stay in bed, when it’s on the sun I can get up.

Establish a nightly routine. Turn the tablet, TV, computer, phone off an hour or two before bed, encourage her to clean her messes up from the day, pick out the next day’s outfit, give her a bath, brush her teeth, pick out one stuffed toy to sleep with, read her a story. A nightly routine will help.

Kids love routine! 5min to bed warning, brush teeth and hair, read a book, slowly sleepily finishing with a yawn! Sing a few soft songs, slowly and low. Close your eyes sweet dreams! No food or drink after 7 or you get gremlins lol! Good luck and good night.

I went through this with my daughter I had to be firm and present. Is she got out of bed I took her back after hugs and kisses. Kept the door open. Closet light on. I also got her a nightlight that changes colors and moves

Have you ever watched the Nanny on T.V. She has some good techniques on getting kids to sleep in their own beds. Google it.

Every time she comes in your bed wait til she falls asleep n carry her back to her bed it will take about a week but it works! Another thing when she wants something tell her when she starts sleeping in her bed big girls sleep in their own beds

How did she get used to it in the first place ? Every time you give in it’s like starting all over again. You get it done. Good luck.

Mine were like that too til I bought them the privacy pop tent for their beds and they slept in em ever since, their both 8 now

Make her think she has no choice but to sleep in your room

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with this situation. My kids wanted to sleep with us for quite awhile . They will out grow it . The problem comes in if it’s keeping you from sleeping and obstructs your ability to function properly .

You have to stay in the room til.she is asleep. If she comes in your room go and put her back in her bed. It takes a long time but eventually she will get it. Many many months but consistency is key!

Time, consistency, and ALOT of patience. Teaching children anything takes these three things. You’ll get there! Just like I will (hopefully) get there with keeping my 1.5 year old off the dining room table!:sweat_smile: Hang in there mama​:heart:

1 Like

Do what is best for you and your child. I let mine crawl in. Ended on its own. I felt he needed the extra security or he would not have come.

Bribery! Lol! Small rewards for being a big girl. That was the only thing that worked for my girl.

Put her to bed after nightly routine then a gate across her dor so that when she opens her door there is a gate

Rewards. My boys wouldn’t stay in there own beds so we went to the dollar store and bought a bucket full of cheap little toys and a roll of raffle tickets. Every night they slept the night in their room they got a ticket. If they came in our room they gave a ticket back. When they had 5 tickets they got to pick a prize. We hyped it up. Got really excited about it for them and after a week or two they slept every night in their room so they could “win” tickets.

3 Likes

I got my daughter her own picked sheets and accessories.

I’ve decided to wait until the kids at his school tease him about sleeping with his mommy. That way he feels like he’s made the decision on his on.

My 3rd son was like this , slept with us , but when he started big school he wanted to go in his bed

How can i get my 12 year old to sleep in her room?

1 Like

I’ve been cosleeping my whole life. I don’t believe we’re meant to sleep alone.

My kid is 14 and still sleeps in my bed

The best way to stop this behavior …is not letting it start in the first place !

Did this Generation ever hear of the word NO?
NO MEANS NO!
But you have to stick to it and mean it.
My Kids knew that word very well.

Probably cause you have allowed her to sleep with you her whole life!:flushed: So tired of seeing this same shit asked!! If you wouldn’t have allowed it you wouldn’t have this problem in the first place! Sorry not sorry!:neutral_face:🤷:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Try a fun bed canopy on amazon and moon and stars projector that lights and spins. If its to quiet a sound machine.

Be consistent. Dont baby her. Dhe gets up walk her back to her room w out saying anything. It worked for my son after 5 days he stopped.

When she comes to your room , take her back to her room . Do it as many times as you need to . Good luck !

3 Likes

Should stop over the next couple of years, lye in bed with her till she’s asleep, read to her make her room as comforting as possible with constant reminders of your presence in the room to help her relax.

her bed may be hard income add what a foam topper…bonus …twinkle lites? my money’s on income and/or too hot or cold

Have you tried lying down with her/him as the child falls asleep? Then of course leave the room after the child is asleep…

Put a deadbolt on your door LMAO a 5 yr old is too old to be sleeping with you.

3 Likes

I don’t know my kids always slept in their own room since they were walking where did she sleep be for or did she share a room?

when she comes into your room why dont you go into her room

i got a cd player that i played stories on.

Whiskey and honey or NyQuil works every time

2 Likes

Where does she want to sleep?

Bribery helps sometimes :laughing: Go sleep in her bed till she gets used to it… otherwise enjoy cuddles