How can I get my baby to sleep through the night again?

Hello fellow moms, I need some advice on feeding a 5 month old:I’ve just started feeding my 5 month old food, such as: bananas, strawberries, sweet potatoes, oatmeal and rice. He eats about 2 oz of actual food a day, and the rest of the time I feed him formula. The problem is, even though he has just started eating food, the milk does not seem to hold him over. He wakes up during the night starving, even if I fed him a rice and milk bottle before bedtime. This baby has slept through the night since he was 2 months old without issues. Any ideas or food recommendations for a baby newly trying food? I don’t want to overwhelm his digestive system, but it really seems like he needs something more sustainable than formula.

27 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my baby to sleep through the night again?

Don’t they have baby food to make the bottle fill their tummies anymore? That’s what we used.

Try the Ferber method.

2 Likes

Try mixing some cereal and water and feed it to him before bed then a bottle

1 Like

It’s normal at that age to get up to have a bottle :heart:

3 Likes

It’s not biologically normal for your babe to sleep through the night yet. Even as adults we wake up to go to the bathroom, adjust ourselves, drink water, whatever. You over feeding before bedtime could be the issue as well and the reason for the sudden change.

4 Likes

I thought it was 6 months to start feeding proper food??

4 Likes

Not old enough for food.

10 Likes

Kids wake up in the night to feed, it’s normal. Just because they didn’t at 2 months doesn’t mean they won’t at 5 months. I don’t think feeding them into a food coma so they sleep all night is the answer here.

1 Like

l get paid over $185 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $17364 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info>> https://proworkings808.pages.dev/

Your baby has probably got bellyache huni that’s qay to much for a 5 month old your not supposed to start them till 6 months and then its small tasters to start them build them up, their little bellies can’t take it so maybe thats what’s wrong. Maybe speak to your health visitor she should be able to help you x

4 Likes

This happened to me also, my daughter slept through the night from the get go until I introduced food. She actually has a gluten intolerance and that was our problem. Once I go her digestive system figured out she started sleeping again. Talk to her pediatrician for the best course of action for your baby. As a Mom you always know what is best for your baby.

2 Likes

Sleep regression is TOTALLY normal also keep in mind, babies metabolisms are off the charts. They are growing so fast, they will need a bottle fairly frequently.

3 Likes

It’s normal. It’s just a phase they go through. Mine did the same. Give it time. Stick with routine. They will sleep through the night again.

3 Likes

The age to give babies real food has changed many times and no doubt will change again. So I think you are fine with that, perhaps its not enough, or at the right time, or the right food? Try some pureed veg maybe? Or change when you give them food? Don’t worry too much about the waking for a bottle, they change so much so quickly, this will change again too! Well done, you are doing a great job!

1 Like

Call your pediatrician. Don’t entrust your babies needs to unqualified fb opinions.

5 Likes

Growth spurt, just power through it

2 Likes

Lol it’s a baby. They don’t sleep through the night. Welcome to motherhood. Ask for help from your partner, friends or family so you can nap if you’re feeling that sleep deprived.

5 Likes

Baby shouldn’t have foood before 6 months & all signs of readiness are there. Also rice cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard & is not recommended. I would cut back on the solids. Formula or breast milk should be the main nutrition through 12 months.

15 Likes

Maybe the baby needs some white noise and maybe a nightlight. Something as simple as this could help.

1 Like

Put some rice in his bottle it works like a charm

5 Likes

My doctor told me baby food at 5 months is fine as long as baby is ready. Sleep regression is a real thing and soooo hard. You’ll get through it momma. It won’t last forever.

3 Likes

I personally would back off of the fruits with the sugar typically you supposed to start with veggies first. So later in the evening before you get ready to put him to bed I always started with a fresh bath and either if your nursing or bottle feed and give him his bottle put him to bed like you’re starting over his whole day but waking up in the middle of the night is not uncommon for little babies if he takes a little bit of milk and goes right back to sleep I wouldn’t fret over that hun.

6 Likes

Wake up and feed your baby. A 5 month old still still eats during the night. I also suggest slowing down with the amount of food you’re giving your little one, I know nowadays some doctors say you can start at 4 months but you really should wait until 6. Even then,That’s a lot of foods for a 5 months old to have tried already. Good luck…

14 Likes

You could give home the oatmeal before bed. Hugs.
It could also be the digestion waking him do you give him water? Has he had any issues pooping? My babies loved and still love tiny pieces of cheese brick cheese. Haven’t had any issues with the cheese I’m not sure what will get a mad note. On that I’ve had 7 girls and if they are hungry they will eat. My 2 year old when she was 6 months old pulled a basket of nectarines onto the floor and devoured one before I could even dive across the room. It was actually funny. And stressful but we then ate whatever we wanted. And only half my kids would even eat baby food so
“the world can shut up. After all I’m 45 and been told like four times whether eggs are good for me or not and that’s including commercials
We never even touched the baby un too l it was clean etc with my first. My last they don’t even wipe her they just stripped me and slammed her on my chest for an hour. No bath for a week.
Proves nothing is wrong it’s just different and we as humans are still learning.

Unlike everyone else’s opinion. I started feeding solids young :hugs::v: my sons doctor was okay with it. (Now my son is 2 and eats everything , thank God he isn’t a picky eater ) I would say it’s most likely a growth spurt. I put oatmeal in my sons formula (not rice ) . You should always talk to your doctor as every baby is different. The reason my son started solids so soon is it took a very long time to find a formula that didn’t make him projectile vomit. I asked both my grandmas for advice and since my son had 4 teeth at 5 months we started solids as well as speaking to his doctor about it. As long as you are being smart. You’re the mom. Don’t let these other moms intimidate you. You will figure out whats best for YOU and your baby.

6 Likes

Its normal my daughter did it she would scream bc her stomach was upset, honestly talk to your doctor and explain to them what is happening and they may be able to put you in the right direction

2 Likes

The advice for feeding children has changed so much over the years and will no doubt continue to change. If baby shows interest in food its time to introduce small amounts …tip of a teaspoon to taste for example.
My kids sat supported in a high chair from around 4 months. They had small tastes of anything I was eating as long as it was appropriate and could be mashed…fruit, veg, potatoes, eggs etc.
They held a baby rusk to mouth on…they melt with saliva so no choking hazard…
Obviously they still had their bottle but as diet and amounts of food taken improve…formula decreases .
Every child is different and guidelines are just that…theres no hard and fast rule . Be baby led as we older mums were .

1 Like

It is still biologically normal for them to still be waking at night. Their bodies and brains are rapidly growing, so they still need to have nutrients and calories throughout the day and night.
Gearing up for a developmental leap or growth spurt will also create an increase of feedings.
Biologically Normal Infant & Toddler Sleep is a great group!

8 Likes

Give baby more food or start giving table food like mashed potatoes or breakfast gravy or blended up foods

2 Likes

Yall should read up on leaky gut. It can be dangerous to long-term health to feed babies solid food too soon.

8 Likes

He’s probably teething or has indigestion.

After leaving My Previous Job 12 months ago, i’ve Had some good luck to Learn about this website which was A life-saver for me… They offer jobs For which People can work 0nline From their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 4 months was for $14690…
Amazing thing about is that The only thing required is simple Typing skills and access To internet…

Read all about IT Here… https://DollarsToday113.pages.dev

1 Like

Babies biologically don’t start sleeping through the entire night on average until 18 months.

1 Like

You have already over loaded his system . You start them with rice cereal to begin with. Than slowly introduce food . Your pediatrician can advise you . Probably a bellyache keeping him up.

5 Likes

That rice cereal is making your baby miss out on very important nutrients. His body knows what it needs. Rice cereal is just a filler with no benefits and theres zero proof it helps babys sleep better. Also rice cereal in a bottle isn’t safe. Major choking risk and they could aspirate it into their lungs and they’re linking food to early to breathing and stomach problems.

4 Likes

Start out cereal first 3 times breakfast,lunch and dinner plus bottles then after a month give cereal at breakfast then start with one kind of vegetable for a month then add other veggies then fruit

Probs a growth spurt/leap. Give him milk and let it pass, it is frustrating but he will sleep through again, he’s only tiny :baby:t3: His appetite will calm down, don’t stress it too much. I kinda agree though that his tummy might be adjusting to all the new foods and causing him to be uncomfortable. He doesn’t need variety just nutrients so keep it simple (he really doesn’t need to eat a lot of food, almost all his nutrients he will get from milk.) All babies go through stages of night waking when before they slept through, it’s part of the journey (not a highlight admittedly!)

When it comes to an online trade. I would like to recommend you to Mrs lisa jennifer who has been helping me on my trade not quite long ago a friend of mine introduced me to Mrs lisa jennifer and i really appreciate her good efforts on changing lives all around the globe. I earned in a week time and it’s such a great joy earning from home.
Connect with her if you’re concerned via…
:point_down::point_down:

OMG I can’t believe I’m sure you see a post about Mrs Lisa jennifer helping people make money using bitcoin, I tried it for some amount of dollars :currency_exchange::heavy_dollar_sign::dollar: and now I dare to stand up and tell everyone that I earn up a thousand of dollars in return SHe is 100% legitimate and genuine Check the Link below if you are interested
:point_down::point_down::point_down:

I keep spreading the good new to everyone. How crypto trading has changed my life for Good. Well all thanks to Mrs lisa jennifer who’ introduce me to this Business I’ve earned so much money and I can now pay up my Bills.I will advice you to invest on a right company click on the link :paperclips: and get started
:point_down:t6::point_down:t6::point_down:t6::point_down:t6:

Food does not make a baby sleep…
And you’re feeding solids way too early… and no cereal. They’re garbage.

4 Likes

So it sounds like maybe the baby food is too much for them and you need to ease up on currently. I hope you’re doing one new food for 2 weeks and not giving mutiple different types of food a week because that also could be upsetting their stomach

1 Like

Formula or breastmilk is higher calorie then solids and should be the main source of nutrition until they’re 1. Waking up at night is still normal at 5 months. You could try reducing nap time or moving it a little to encourage more sleeping at night.
Also, when my daughter was teething her sleep was more interrupted. Teething tablets helped. Ibuprofen also helped once she hit 6 months abs could have it. Or it could be a wonder week or a sleep regression.

3 Likes

Some kids don’t ever sleep threw the night … my first slept threw the night at 4 months old and my youngest was 9 mo the old … every child is different and usually babies don’t start until 6 months

Maybe he’s ready for an xtra ounce of formula or food. See how that helps

Babies are suppose to wake up. Unless putting rice cereal in the bottle was advised by your pediatrician it’s not recommended. What mainly helped my kids sleep through the night was a steady bedtime routine.

1 Like

Add a cereal to his last bottle to thicken and weigh it up.