How can I get my child to eat healthier?

Snack plates! I would fill it with strawberries, bananas, raisins, cheese, toast and peanut butter, carrots, raisins or whatever I had on hand, put it on the coffee table and let my son pick at it. He felt like it was a snack that way. He learned to try all different things that way and now he’s a super healthy kid

54 Likes

Maybe see what and how the daycare is feeding him? Do you sit together as a family at the table and eat? It might not be just the food, but having someone eat with him. Try and pop in at daycare to observe him at mealtime. You might learn something

14 Likes

Punishing a 2 year for not eating something is insane.
You’re creating a bad relationship with food.
Do not argue.
Feed him what you KNOW he will eat, and then offer something else at the same time. Stop making a big deal about it. One day he will try it. And if he doesn’t like it, it’s fine. Adults don’t eat something they don’t like and children shouldn’t be forced to either.

My son is 3 and ASD. He has a limited diet. It’s hard. But I offer the things I know he will eat and then new things as well.
All that matters is that your kid eats SOMETHING. If he’s getting food at school then at least you know he’s eating.
2 year olds have little bellies and don’t need nearly as much as what you think.

Just stop and let it roll.

145 Likes

My middle kiddo would try to live off milk or juice. I started giving only water and she got hungry. She’s now 6 years old and eats pretty healthy.

5 Likes

For vegetable servings there is this stuff called Enof powder that you can put in anything. It is tasteless, has no texture, and it dissolves into the food or drink. It works for kids and adults.

5 Likes

My son and nephew are the exact same way. They both eat anything and everything at daycare or school but they refuse most foods at home. I think it has a lot to do with seeing the other kids eating, so they eat too. Idk? Even at home when we all sit down together, my nephew won’t touch his food, even though my kids are at the table to eat too.

So my best advice, try to serve what you are eating, and if he won’t eat, give him something you know he will eat. It doesn’t have to be a full meal, but just something healthier you know he eats. I won’t make a whole other meal, but I offer something like a PB&J or chicken nuggets and a fruit or vegetable.

With all 4 of my kids, we would go on what we called “food adventures” I’d let them pick something new to try from the store and let them help cook it and now at 15, 10, 9, and 5, none of them are picky eaters at all and actually enjoy a wide variety of foods!

24 Likes

My younger 2 have always been picky eaters. We have spoken with a nutritionist and she had us focus on healthier versions of their favorite foods. They are 10 and 8 so reasoning with them is a little easier, but it’s still a struggle. Right now my 8 yo doesn’t like anything except the chicken patties I buy at a Restaurant supply store. Both of them have anxiety and eating the same thing all the time reduces anxiety. I know the struggle, but try to pick your battles. The plate of finger foods helped us get through dinner. You will get through this! Just ignore all the high and mighty moms that try to make you feel badly for your child’s normal behavior. My oldest ate everything and anything we served him, but all kids are different.

My daughter is 3. She has EOE. And cirtain foods cause discomfort and an allergic reaction sorta in her throat and stomach. When this happens it causes vomiting. Abd since she is sensitive now if she has a tantrum she can vomit on cue. Even while on medication to control it she can make herself vomit. We just try to cuz minimal fus over it. Cuz tge more attention she gets the more she does it. There are days where all she will eat is green beans. Odd I know. At daycare it’s kind if like peer pressure they sees other kids eating so tgey do. And tgey know that how far they can push u at home.

1 Like

Keep offering food not the junk and he will eat when he is hungry. Let him throw that tantrum. But don’t punish him. I had issues with my kids with eating. My 1 wanted ketchup and mustard sandwich i let her have but she also had carrots with ranch with it. And milk.

4 Likes

Stop forcing him to eat. Put food and fruits somewhere he can reach and let him be. Teach him to identify what it feels like to be hungry and then show him how to reach for the food.

If you are worried about this, don’t worry, he won’t starve to death.

10 Likes

My son has a similar issue. We talk to a dietician too. Keep giving them what you make and then add something they like on the plate. Just keep it consistent and keep encouraging them to touch it, smell it, and taste it. You can supplement w.e they are missing in smoothies. My son has an issue with weight so his doctors just want him to eat w.e right now so he also gets a vitamin and he drinks the chocolate pedisure grow and gain.

2 Likes

Very common for them to eat what the other kids eat at school and not at home. It’s more like a peer pressure type of thing.

I’d say keep offering him your meals at home and just eat with him, trying to maintain patience too. But as long as he’s not guzzling soda and only eating candy then he is okay. Toddlers have a mind of their own and are very stuck in their ways.

4 Likes

The only thing that works for my stubborn picky kid is to pretend the food is mine and tell him not to eat it. I know its weird, but it works for him. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

My son is 7 asd and has lived on a very plain minimal diet for years. Forcing will only make things worse and create stress around meal times. Give him what he likes that’s relatively healthy. Maybe he didn’t want to eat it because he was feeling poorly?.

5 Likes

I would just quit buying the junk. Can’t eat junk food if it’s not there, and have whatever healthy food he does like available to him when he wants it. That’s what I do, my oldest is really picky as well. But obviously what’s best for one family doesn’t always work for another. Good luck!

9 Likes

My son used to not eat much, he’s on the spectrum and has food aversions, so I told his doctor and she said to give him cereal and milk - the cereal that has the check mark :white_check_mark: , that it has vitamins he needs. I did and it worked, and little by little he started eating new things. She’d say he won’t starve himself, he’ll eat when he wants to.

2 Likes

All my child likes to eat is pb&j, cheese, chicken nuggets, fruit (watermelon, strawberries, bananas) and some vegetables. She’s also 2 years old. She refuses to eat meat…
I put it this way, as long as she has something in her belly and isn’t starving she’s fine.

5 Likes

My 2.5 year old eats his main food just fine (the kid LOVES protein) but will not touch fruits or veggies except for bananas or applesauce. We use the Plum Organics pouches to get his fruits and veggies in him until he starts eating them (and we offer them frequently).

I gave up and just got healthy snacks. My 3&½ year old and 2 year old are terrible eaters (were wonderful and ate everything when they first started solid foods) but when they eat healthy snacks (fruit, veggie straws, pb crackers, etc) they think they’re getting away with something :laughing: of course I always try to get them to eat healthy meals, but that seems to be hit or miss with them

Don’t argue with him. Give him a plate of food, half an hour and he eats what he eats. The rule in my house is “you can eat as much or as little as you like (on your plate) but if the plates not clear, there’s nothing afterwards”.
Don’t overload the plate either because that’s setting them up for failure. Remember our stomachs are only as big as our closed fist.

1 Like

My son was the same used to get in a state, he soon leant eat what’s there or don’t eat. They won’t let themselves starve x

3 Likes

Food has to have flavor for a child to eat it. My 5 year old doesn’t like vegetables but loves fruits. Apples, grapes, bananas, peaches, etc. Vegetables the only time I have had success is when I steam it or make it as a sopa (soup).

He knows he likes it like that but behaves like a little punk about it.

It takes time and consistency.

My stepkids did not like vegetables because mom took them to McDonald’s a the time. Eventually they got better at it several years into living with us

1 Like

I knew some one who had a similar story. They wouldn’t eat anything as a kid and when they did they’d throw it up also.

They ended up being allergic to just about everything.

3 Likes

He’s two and a half. I feel like some of these comments are a little ridiculous. My son who is now 7 went through many phases of eating and not eating certain things. I don’t feel sending any child to bed, especially a 2 1/2 year old, without food is ok. Find something they will eat, like cereal or toast, anything.

3 Likes

Toddlers are notoriously picky eaters. My 3.5 year old will eat most things at daycare but wont eat them at home. He eats fairly healthy though. Strawberries, blackberries, and watermelon are some of his favorites. He also likes cheese, thinks chocolate is a food group. Will eat yogurt, frozen blueberries, ice cream. I mean when they are that little it takes a surprisingly small amount to keep them full. Lots of times they like to be on the go and eat finger foods. Honestly I wouldnt sweat it too much. Feed him what he likes and get him to at least try things. If he doesnt like it, dont push it. I am a picky eater and it drives me insane when people are like ‘well have you tried it’. Homestly most things I know if I will like it without eating it :woman_shrugging:t2: some days my kid eats super healthy and some days he has gushers for dinner.

2 Likes

I hv 3 boys… just put out a platter of healthy things including fruit and veggies… cut up… just put on coffee table when your watching tv… say it’s for mommy… don’t try to get him to eat it… just start eating it yourself… he will want some and try it… worked for me…

3 Likes

My son was the opposite, he used to eat whatever was put in front of him. He’ll be 6 in two weeks and will literally eat the same thing everyday. Ask his pediatrician what you can do to supplement what he doesn’t eat(if you even need to do so). I always put my kids favorite fruits and veggies with his food, even if it’s something simple as a bowl of noodles. Most children go through a picky phase, he’ll probably grow out of it. I wouldn’t punish him for what he doesn’t want to eat though, it might not help. Just fees him foods you’ll know he’ll eat, even if it’s on a daily basis.

1 Like

My son is a “selective eater” since he started on solid food. Hes 6 years old now. We’ve tried everything. Met with a nutritionist and dietitian referred by our pediatrician. Some of their advice was to have him eat with kids his age, he’ll be more likely to eat what they’re eating. Eat our own dinner without trying to get him to try it. He’ll be more likely to want it. Nothing worked. Eventually our pediatrician said to make sure he takes his multivitamin every day (thankfully he does) and as long as he’s thriving to let him eat what he’ll eat. My son has just now started to taste new foods. Most of the time he says he doesn’t like whatever he tried but its progress. Not fighting him every day to eat what I want him to eat has taken a lot of stress and frustration off of both of us. Good luck to you!

1 Like

For my two year old we give her something she will eat for sure and then whatever we make. She does get irritated sitting for too long. I sit with her and help her eat. We also have her one year old cousin and they mimic what they eat at times. When she refused to eat most of the day I do cave and give her my phone and put something on so she’ll snack while she’s watching her show. Also we got kids plates and she will eat more then she would with any other plate in the house

1 Like

Stop giving the snacks. If they aren’t ready to eat tell them they can get down from the table but if they get hungry offer to warm their plate back up.

3 Likes

Just offer food at Neal times, some things you know he likes some things you hope he tries.
Put in front of him.
And then u eat.
Don’t treat some food as treats and some as healthy . Just put the food and say here you go honey .
And hope eventually he will try bites of things he sees you eating.

2 Likes

My son is the same way. His pediatrician said don’t give him snacks unless he eats and don’t make special meals. He also said if he doesn’t eat, that’s okay, he won’t starve. He’ll eat when he’s hungry enough. It was hard but he’s gotten a lot better. Power through those tantrums mama! You can do it!

1 Like

With my Littles I insisted on a “polite bite” so they could be sure their eyes weren’t playing tricks on them and telling them they wouldn’t like it. If they really didn’t, then I didn’t make them eat it. We typically have 2-3 foods (almost always healthy options like fruit, veggie or salad) with dinner at our house they would usually just eat enough of the one they liked to not be hungry. I continued offering though each time I made it because tastes change.

2 Likes

It’s helps my little one to make her own “snack lunches” where she gets to pick lots of things (little bit of each), so I keep just healthy options and maybe one little sweet to make it fun. I think it helps to not make a big deal of it or beg them to eat, I just say “that’s fine, but no snacking if you don’t eat.” It’s pretty miserable pushing them all the way to the next mealtime, but one time of that worked for us. But sometimes she’s not hungry because of a late snack at school or after school, drinks other than water filled my kids up too. One time she was just being ornery, so I saved her meal and warmed it up for breakfast, she ate it just fine then, guess she was in a better mood and motivated by wanting her real breakfast next. Oh and we would say “look you are growing big and strong, you’re going to be so fast!” while she ate. Good luck, things will work out soon!

Sounds like a typical two-year-old to me. Two-year-olds do not want to eat regular meals. My advice keep a healthy snack for him when he’s ready to eat something. Cancel the chocolate and catsup unless he is getting French fries. Provide him with healthy finger foods at meal time , small cheese squares, small peanut butter finger sandwiches, small pieces of raw cauliflower and broccoli, small carrot sticks, berries, etc. let him see you eat these items too and ask him to give you a bite and you give him a bite. He will eat!

A lot of the time I find daycare disguises theirs in the food. Perhaps get their meal plan? I use to refuse my child anything until he ate what was on the table. He was never starved and he eventually ate it. They will eat when they are hungry. And you just send them to bed if they are going to put on a performance.

When your kiddo is hungry they will legitimately eat. If there are no allergies and if these items are eaten at preschool/daycare. You provide what you provide. I dont play that game. My kiddos eats everything. Unless it’s it’s sensory or allergy issues I promise Momma little one will eventually eat.

1 Like

Follow Kids Eat in Color she is fantastic. Try different approaches to fruit and veg at mealtimes, ie it won’t eat carrots sticks would they be eaten mashed perhaps, or grated instead, texture and appearance is a big factor for kids. I use cookie cutters for new fruit and veggies we are trying to give it a fun aspect rather than a “oh no new food; scary” one. Even try get lil one involved in preparing their meals. If they feel they have made the choices of what’s on their plate they’re a lot more happy to eat. Even just washing the veg whisking egg or anything to help. I hope you find something that helps.

I would just offer a variety of food (never snacks) and let him explore… give a few types of fruits and veggies, east to eat meat and grains… put it out for him and let him choose. Dont make it a battle or option. Stop giving snacks until he chooses to eat foods. He probably thinks or knows if he doesn’t eat he will eventually get a snack. If that doesn’t work I would explore medical concerns.

2 Likes

Don’t worry try and fed him some of what he likes. It’s just a Stage he will grow out of it. I’m pretty sure he will eat if he is hungry :tipping_hand_woman:t4:

1 Like

I am experiencing this first hand with my two and a half year old. I take him to the store once a week and let him pick out his own food while directing him in that direction. For example: if I want him to grab some fruit I let him pick out which fruit he would like to have. Or macaroni and cheese I let him pick out what he wants. Then when it’s time to eat, I let him pick what he is going to eat. I have also moved the food in cabinet that had his snacks so when I open that cabinet he has healthier options to choose from. I also let him help me cook his food so he sees it from beginning to end. Now he will eat as long as he has the Choice and gets to help! Good luck to you momma!

If the toddler is puking from eating it I’m sure there’s a reason they don’t want to eat it, maybe a different brand or flavor, but don’t force a child to eat if their throwing up take them to a Dr and ask a health professional

1 Like

My little boy is nearly 3 and barely eats anything at all. I just let him choose what he has (loves sausages) so I usually put veg on the side to encourage him to eat them but he never does x

I make platters for my little one. She’s a picky eater, so I’ve started putting smaller amounts of her junk food on a plate with other healthier foods and sometimes when she finishes her junk food she’ll try the healthier things. Or sometimes I feed her with tongs🤷🏻‍♀️ she likes eating things I hand her with the tongs. It works maybe 7/10 times

Try feeding therapy. Could be sensory difficulties. It may be easier at daycare because other kids are doing it and/or he’s distracted

1 Like

My 2 year old has a sensory processing disorder that causes him to eat less than 10 foods. You should talk to your doctor. The vomiting could be a sign. Mine is in speech therapy for feeding.

One thing to remember, his stomach is only as big as his little fist so try just a little bit of different foods on his plate. Does he like spaghetti? I used to feed my son spaghetti ALL the time so he’d eat but I used the tricolor pasta as a way to sneak in a serving of veggies and used the garden chunky variety of sauce to push a few more veggies in there, doubled up on the ground meat to add protein…

My ped said this was normal for this age and recommended we sub with pediasure shakes. My 2 thought they were milkshakes and a rewards for clearing plates. My kids are 7 and 8 now and love veggies and fruits and all types of meat. Just be patient and leave his plate out to pick on. Give small portions and then offer a shake.

Cook the good dinner and if he doesn’t want it fine just leave it there he will eventually eat it if it’s left in front of him and he’s hungry! Then praise him after he’s done eating a spoon or the whole plate kids love when mammy jump up and down being so happy with what they just did and hel eat more of it to make you happier and jump up and down like an ejit :rofl::rofl: speaking from experience here my daughter would never eat meat she only ate pasta or chips or croquettes until I did this… still laughing at myself running around the house like Kevin in home alone screaming you ate dinner!! YEAAAA :joy::joy: she laughed so much she loved eating good dinners until she turned into a wanna be teenager that still loves steak and mash with green beans :yum:

Just because your child eats something some where else and not at home doesn’t mean anything other than different atmospheres and environments. Home is children and adults safe place. Their sanctuary. Where they can be whoever and whatever they want. Offer what you would like your child to eat and if they dont want it. Don’t make a deal out of it. Offer them something else and keep it moving. Adults don’t like being forced to eat things they don’t want, don’t do it to a child. I’d rather my child eat something than nothing. Or maybe they just aren’t hungry.

Only serve him healthy food and snacks. Don’t feel bad, it’s the best thing you can do for him!

2 Likes

My daughter refused to eat anything but cheese quesadilla for dinner when she was 3. She lived through it and was fine. Just give him what he likes for dinner. Fighting over food isn’t worth it

Let me eat what he likes don’t argue with him about and don’t force a meal on him that he doesn’t want or like. Just have him try new foods off your plate. If he refuses to even taste it then leave it alone. He will eventually grow out of it and try new things. I have the very same problem with my 7yr old since she was a year old but now she is slowly trying new things but no veggies yet but she always eats fruit.

My son is the same. He goes days with eating brilliant and eats all kinds in nursery but then stops eating at home. I’m hoping it’s just a faze. I’ve tried the you DONT get anything else unless you eat and he’s not bothered as doesn’t eat junk either :woman_facepalming:t4::woman_shrugging:t4:

My toddler is super picky too but I’d never punish for not eating what I want her to eat. Imagine if you were forced to eat something and you weren’t in the mood? I always just make sure she gets something in her stomach even if some days it’s just waffles and graham crackers lol.

It’s just one of the stages, as long as they eat. Way sooner than you’d like, this will seem like cake lol

1 Like

Stop giving options when you know they will eat it. As my momma always said, if they’re hungry they will eat. If he is throwing up, have you had him checked out medically for esophagus problems?

2 Likes

I make my girls fresh spinach raviolis from Costco with spaghetti sauce. They LOVE THEM. That’s the only way I can get them to eat veggies. Maybe try those??

Going out on a limb here but if they’re hungry enough they’ll eat anything

2 Likes

You starve a cat and he’ll eat a peanut butter sandwich!!When they’re hungry they will eat. Parents today give there kids too many choices.

Pretty normal, stop making food a battle it’s making it into a negative experience, if he doesn’t eat it just put in the fridge for when he says he’s hungry later on

If he’s eating at daycare and not at home, it might be a behavioral or environmental thing. Ask the daycare what meal times are like. Maybe he’s being distracted during meal times at your house? Maybe he’s pushing boundaries to see how much he can get away with because at daycare he likely knows that he gets what he gets and they CAN’T bribe him with chocolate or stuff like that. Maybe he’s eating better at the daycare because it’s more structured or he gets to sit down and eat with friends? I’m not trying to suggest you’re doing anything wrong by any means, but him eating at daycare shows he can eat under the right circumstances. It’s up to you to find those circumstances.

I guess I’m old school… If we didnt eat what mom put in front if us. we didnt eat and no desert. We would then eat at snack time… Many a time i didnt eat and watch other eat desert… But mom didnt budge… We learbed to eat good food and we didnt have junk food … It was to expensive… Kids today are really pampered…

My first daughter lived on weetbix and macaroni cheese for ages. I would sneak in blended zucchini and then carrot and then other stuff without her knowing to her macaroni and she ate it. Inwoukd also put a plate of mixed foods in front of her macaroni everyday without fail and one day after about 6 months she she just started trying stuff off it. I knew she was eating elsewhere and decent food at daycare and I knew she wasn’t starving and I made no fuss so she just yeh started eating. She is 14 now and healthy and happy so it can’t have done her too bad

Is there a certain plate or way that daycare prepares his food hat you could maybe ask for a picture or explanation ? I find kids sometimes are super particular and don’t know how to express it, I was a superrrre picky kid and I always wanted it a certain way. Maybe try saying you picked it up at daycare? Sometimes you have to do anything even if it feels stupid :sweat_smile:

If you don’t introduce junk food , they won’t know to want it. We did not introduce it to my daughter and she is almost four now and eats everything including some sweet. Introducing junk food early is really setting them up for this.

Don’t buy treats. If they aren’t in the house he can’t eat them.
Small meal sizes, involve him in the choosing and preparation of the meals allow a certain time limit for meals and if not eaten take the plate away and put it in the fridge. Offer it the next time he asks for food.
Reward him for tasting new things my rule was if U try 3 bites and don’t like it u can have something else if U won’t even try it U go without.
Of course there will be things kids genuinely don’t like try to remember them and offer an alternative eg don’t like broccoli have peas instead.

Keep a meal diary of everything he eats over a week and U will probably see that he still eats enough especially if he’s eating at childcare buly the time he gets home he is probably just tired and really not that hungry maybe if he is eating a hot meal for lunch a more lunch type meal at dinner time when he is tired and grumpy is better

Is it possible he’s not hungry enough for a dinner in the evenings if he’s having a big meal in daycare as well. Maybe try a light snack like yoghurt and fruit

I wore myself out when my oldest was younger… I would make the best meals and he would not eat them no matter what I did… the only thing he would eat was peanut butter and jelly… I went to the pediatrician crying because I felt like such a bad mom… I was told Stop fretting and give him the pbj​:joy: he said he was getting protein and carbs and was a healthy kid, but I was making myself a mess… So mom you are fighting it to hard… Stop fretting :heart:

What are you and everyone closely involved with him eating? Make sure to lead by example on how you want him to eat. Make it something exciting. As a mom of 5 there are 2 big things that worked for us, #1: making healthy food look like fun stuff cutting out different shapes and creating things with it & #2: make an agreement where if he eats his dinner throughout the week you’ll let him pick a meal to make on the weekend and it can be whatever he wants then stand your ground and only do it if he keeps his end of the deal. Don’t stress it too much and make sure he is on a multivitamin & maybe consider nutritional supplements/shakes if he continues to give you a hard time but don’t work yourself up over it. You got this mama! :muscle:t2::heart:

I think it’s a phase, my two year old is the same way. One day he loves eating bananas and the next day he will spit it out. Same goes for any food, one day he likes and another day won’t even touch it. I feel bad cuz I feel like he’s gonna starve, but people tell me that if he was hungry he would eat🤷🏽‍♀️ and also junk food it’s a hit or miss. He doesn’t even care for chocolate

When my now 2 year old was in feeding therapy we were told fun plates and silverware and fun shapes also could be sensory issues my son won’t eat anything that has a mushy texture

1 Like

My 4 year older has to give me a “no thank you” bite. Half the time she won’t even try something and say she doesn’t like it. So she had to try it and if she really doesn’t like it she says “no thank you” and on the the next. 9/10, she will actually like it

My son is the same. He says all veges are yucky, won’t eat by himself etc etc.

I make my son the same food throughout the day. :joy::joy::joy: If he won’t eat it the first time, he normally gets hungry enough to eat it. Their pediatrician said if they are hungry enough they will eat it.

Reverse psychology. Works on (most of) my kids. Give him what he’ll eat, then make a fuss about the “grown up” food you’re having, and how when he’s “big enough” that he can have some too.
It might take a little time, but he’ll “grow up” right in front of your eyes.

… note … I said it works on “most of” my kids… my 6yo daughter is the only one who doesn’t bite when I use any form of reverse psychology… I tell her I’m gonna eat it all up, she says “go ahead” … too smart for me I guess lol.

Have him pick out his veg and meat. Every day let him not only pick it, but help make it. Kids are far more apt to eat what they make because they are proud of themselves. Rotate veggies that he can pick or set out a couple things for him.

Thats very common for that age. My son is still the same way at 4…pretty picky I usually make what I know he likes but I also offer new things or whatever I make. His tastes are changing so I dont make him eat it if he doesnt like it. Some days he will barely eat then others he is eating a ton. One thing is for sure…they will let you know when they are hungry! I found that including him with preparing the food and making it fun…he seems more inclined to try it :slight_smile:

If you fussed 2 hours with a 2 year old over a piece of chicken, you are the problem. Give him a plate with several things & let him enjoy his supper! If you know he likes something, fix it for him so he will go to bed being fed & loved. Fussing over food for 2 hours is just no way to treat a 2 year old baby.

In a nutrition class inwas taught to offer a young child or toddler certain foods 11 to 12 times before they decide of they like ot not. When we go out to eat at a different restaurant I have my older children try at least one new food. There are studies which support this, but I’m unable to find them at the moment. Here is a link though which may help. I do agree with other parents here that some children are more than likely to eat certain foods with other children present. Try and Try at Least 12 Times - Your Kid's Table

Years ago I ask my pediatrician the same question. He said not to stress. There are 7 days in a week. If all she wants is veggies one day, fruit the next day, protein another day she will eventually get everything she needs. I did this for all three of my daughters. They are now 28, 23 and 9 years old. All of them are healthy and have learned to love a wide variety of food along the way. :blush:

He may be having some sensory issues. Please get him evaluated by a therapist.

1 Like

You shouldn’t associate good with punishment… that can cause the child to development an unhealthy relationship with food. This is a difficult age. I suggest just making some grazing plates with small amounts of many different foods: fruits, vegetables, meats, and a small amount of snacky stuff. Just leave it out and let your kid snack off of it throughout the day. They will eat when hungry and this is a great way to find new foods your child likes.

I know its kind of after the fact but incase you have kids for future reference when my son was still a baby like around 9 mos old i would give him all kinds of food (stuff the hes able to eat or make it small so he wont choke) coleslaw veggies just all kinds of stuff so now he knows what he likes and ive never had problems with him eating anything & he loves his fruits & veggies even some stuff that i dont like eating. He just turned 3 last month.

I know it sounds crazy and you don’t want to have a two-year-old in the kitchen with you because it’ll drive you insane but if they help you cook it they’re more than likely more willing to help you eat it I learned the hard way with my two

Offer real foods, hungry enough + firm parent = kiddo will eat it eventually.
Sometimes you gotta do this for a few days or so until they budge to eat. At daycare, no candy or 2nd food is offeted. It’s literally “this or nothing” and that’s why your kiddo eats there

Get some Pediasure! This is what we used to get for my son when he was that way around that age! To help supplement his diet

I’d personally just put his food in front of him and then ignore him. Sounds like its about attention or power for him which is normal. He feels like this is the one thing he can control. Don’t make it a power struggle. Just give him the food and you eat and talk to him about other things, play music or something and ignore the food. He will probably go for it.

Don’t buy junk food that way it’s unavailable.
sit and role model eating, try not to snack and graze and have set times for meals and snacks and remember toddlers only need a palm size of food so don’t dish too much or let your little one pick what to eat from the options provided.

Our Peds said they won’t starve. They will eat when hungry. If all you have is healthy foods that is what they will eat. It is better if the whole family eats the same though.

I know tired and time short after work…but if you have dinner planned maybe get him to help…
That way he’s eating what he made…make a big fuss over him making dinner

It’s a phase. He will eat when hungry stop forcing him. Cut out all junk food immediately

My son ate chicken nuggets and pizza his first 12 years of his life literally. Even now at 21 he eats pizza at least twice a week. Hes in the navy now and eats everything they grow out of it. Give him a gummy vitamin. And limit sweets. But he is eating at daycare, so let him be picky at home.

Multivitamins while the food aversions are going on and keep offering them on there plate regardless of wether there eaten. You could ask if they could please just try a bite of one of the foods in question, each mealtime. Just one bite aslong as they arnt screaming choking gipping and build it up from there. Scaring and forcing children into eating foods they don’t want doesn’t work. It actually makes it worse, keep offering the foods though alongside foods you know they do like and make it known you would like it tried a tiny bit, but there is no pressure to eat it all.

They will eat when they get hungry is what my dr.told me .just have food available for the and don’t stress on it and you know it worked my son is a body builder now

Stop bribing him. He’s got you trained to give him what he wants. We do Division of Responsibility. I decide what to make and when it’s served. My daughter gets to decide what on the plate she eats and how much she wants to eat. It’s a bit of a learning curve for kiddo, but they pick up on it really quick. They will NOT starve. We offer breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, and a bedtime snack, so there are always plenty of opportunities for her to eat when she’s hungry. She’s 3 and we’ve pretty much always done meals this way. There’s always at least 1 thing on the plate she likes. We also ask if she’d like to taste something (especially if it’s new) and she’s always welcome to spit it out if she doesn’t like it. It’s opened a lot of doors for what she’ll eat.

My son ate buttered bread with grated parmesan cheese on it for like a month straight. Every meal.

I’m a mom of picky eaters, I see understand what most of you are saying. I just don’t understand why everyone is being so critical and judgemental! She didn’t ask for our judgement. She asked for our advice!!! Stop acting so damn good, we have all made poor decisions as parents at one point or another. Cut her some slack. I’m sure she didn’t force to the point of shoving things in his mouth or beating him…My gosh you ppl really need some understanding in your life. Be curious instead of being right!!! Good grief!

easy… dont give junk food at all. they will be hungry enough to eat what is in front of them.