How can I get my child to stop talking like a baby?

Help!! My daughter is 6, and a “grown up” 6 year old… she’s recently started talking like a baby- not pronouncing her words right, or putting sentence together, etc. I get alot of comments on how well she speaks and lots of people think she’s like a 9-10 year old. But then she started acting like a baby. What can I do to get her to stop talking like she’s 3?

55 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my child to stop talking like a baby? - Mamas Uncut

Is she on YouTube at all?

2 Likes

My almost 15 year old sometimes still does this. I think that’s just them being “cute”.

Are you pregnant? My kids did this and then I would find out I was pregnant.

3 Likes

Genuinely act like you cannot understand anything she’s saying

11 Likes

I would just ignore her. It’s not like she doesn’t know how to speak. Kids go through all types of phases.

5 Likes

Say nothing about it and she will lose interest soon. It’s the attention she’s getting from doing it

1 Like

l get paid over $177 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18223 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingearning105.pages.dev/

I would say ignore the baby talk and praise every single time she talks to you like a big girl. Lots of ‘thank you for saying that to me like a big girl, I am so proud of you!’ If you give her attention when she talks like a baby she will keep doing it. I hope that helps! :heart:

7 Likes

She has learned it’s an attention seeking behavior. Negative attention is still attention to children. Just stop acting like it bothers you and praise her when she speaks normally. “Oh I love when you talk like that” “you speak so nicely when you use that voice” etc.

7 Likes

My ex best friends kid fuckin squeeled all the time while she was talking like a 2 year old did and she never ever barely says shit to her . She also pronounces t words with f for attention and it’s not a speech impediment it’s simply just her lazy ass drunk mother letting her get away with it . She’s 10.

Kids do that. It’ll stop. Just a phase.

1 Like

Has anything major happened recently? Some kids regress for attention. My oldest did this when I came home from the hospital with my youngest.

1 Like

just dont give her wjat she wants til she uses big girl words and voice

1 Like

My daughter is almost 3. My sister just had a son and now she runs around saying goo goo gah gah lol. It’s most likely just a phase let her play and use her imagination.

Regression happens when a child feels displaced or neglected. Is there an area of her life where she might be feeling this? Not saying you’re doing anything but at her age, she’s exposed to others and could have felt slighted or hurt in some way. Maybe asking her if playing with her words helps her feel better would open her up to telling you if anything happened.

4 Likes

Ignore it. Give this speech absolutely no attention whatsoever! She’ll soon cotton on that mum takes no notice of me when I speak like that.

1 Like

I have this exact problem with my 4 year old. My husband and I and my in-laws tell her we can’t understand her and that she needs to talk Normal. Like the big girl she is

All the comments must be making her feel weird about it

Ignore the behavior :woman_shrugging:

My son did this a couple different times. The first time it was when he was around 7 and he liked my reactions to it I think. When i started telling him I dont understand when you speak like that he quit. Then again when I found out I was pregnant and he was 9. But he said he did it when he was 9 so he could learn to talk to the baby :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

It’s a phase most kids go through.

2 Likes

Negative attention is still attention and unfortunately children just want a lot/ all of your attention. My daughter did this when her little brother was born because she was feeling less important. Maybe talk to her and see what’s going on inside her head. At her level.

1 Like

I’m a mom of 6 and I swear everyone of my kids did this. They think it’s silly and cute. I just ignore it. Haha

1 Like

I think they all go through this, the stupid baby talk. I tell my son I don’t understand when he talks like it and ignore him until he speaks properly x

I would tell her kindly and patiently, “I’m not going to respond because I cannot understand what you are saying… When you talk like a big girl then we can talk…” and annunciate every thing so she practices annunciating her words too :white_heart: It’ll pass :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Mine does this when he comes home from his fathers

My 7 year old tried this. I refused to speak to him when he did it. Literally just said I dont speak to babies and if you cannot use your big kid voice I will not speak to you. That fixed the problem.

2 Likes

Does she watch cocomelon?

I would ignore the behavior. If she’s asking for something, tell her to ask the right way or she won’t get it

4 Likes

My daughter does this and she’s 5 but not all day I’ll ask her “why are you talking like a baby?” And she tells me “I miss being a baby sometimes mom” but then when we’re being serious she talks normal.

3 Likes

My 7 yrs old does it sometimes. She’ll grow out of it. Just be patient.

I used to do the same… I stopped when I realized that it doesn’t look cute.

my daughter did it when one of her friends at school talked like that all the time. 6 begins the developmental period where they begin to want be like their peers!

I have a six year old that decided to start speaking with a British accent.

7 Likes

I always ask him to repeat what he’s saying a few times then I apologize and give him a hug and say I’m Sorry buddy I don’t understand what you’re trying to say, can you use your growing up words?

2 Likes

Is a phrase most kids go to, my daughter did it too it was annoying I’m not going to lie lol but just ignored it will go away

1 Like

not a parent but work in childcare. When a kid who’s definitely developed enough to speak “properly” does this we just say “Sorry, we can’t understand! Can you use your big boy/girl words & voice so that we can understand & help you?” “We can’t help unless we know what you’d like. Can you use your words?” etc

2 Likes

My son will do this and i tell him I don’t understand you your a big boy and I need you 2 talk like a big boy

Don’t respond to baby talk. Say “when you use your big girl voice and words I will talk to you

2 Likes

Refuse to listen to her when she talks like that. Tell her you don’t understand baby talk.

My son tries this. I have convinced him that I absolutely cannot understand him until he speaks correctly.

I wouldn’t “discipline” her for it. I’d introduce some “big girl privileges” for using her “big girl words.”

2 Likes

I’m on my second and last child so to me, it’s so sweet when he acts like that. It’s like I don’t want him to stop! Lol. He is 5. Even I baby talk him. He does it just with me though or close family though. He has graduated from pre k so I guess he knows where it’s okay to do it. Lol.
I think they grow out of it.

I didn’t acknowledge her if she spoke to me in baby talk, until she asked me properly. It was a friend at school that talked baby talk, I couldaways tell which friend she had played with at school based on how she acted when she got home.

3 Likes

My daughter is 5 and has a friend that talked like a baby so she decided she would too. I kept telling her I couldn’t understand her when she talked like that and she needed to use her big girl voice. It lasted maybe a month before she stopped.

She’s picked it up from another child and is doing it for attention. I recommend ignoring it.
Or you could start doing it with her to see if that helps her lose interest

It’s a faze I promise

2 Likes

I would be concerned that she may be regressing for a reason, did something happen recently that maybe is making her not want to be a “big girl”?

Just act like you can’t understand her :joy:

R u pregnant :pregnant_woman:
My daughter did a lot to get attention while I was pregnant with my son but then got over it

Tell her you don’t understand baby only big girl so you will only respond to big girl

My 3 year old does this. “I can’t understand you when you talk like a baby. You need to speak like a big girl.”

1 Like

Sounds like she’s reverting to a simpler time. Not sure what your dynamics are but maybe set aside some baby play time with her. Emphasize that it’s play time or inside the house together you can baby play and baby talk but when play time is over around company or in public we don’t baby play the whole time. Give it a name and a time to express. Maybe she’s feeling the effect and pressure of being a grown up 6 year old. If she skipped a developmental stage or that’s the last stage she felt safe or attention, that’s where she’ll stay until she gets what she needs from it.

1 Like

Maybe she is overwhelmed with how “grown” people treat her so she has reverted back to baby talk. I would work on finding the cause so you can address the need she is fulfilling with the baby talk. Because she is so articulate people likely expect her to behave accordingly but she is just 6 and still learning a lot of self regulation, self soothing, behavioral management etc.

4 Likes

Ignore it and she will stop.

I think alot girls do this, being goofy and also depends who they have been around and how they talk. It’s just a phase, I wouldn’t make a big deal about it.

1 Like

you can ignore her when she does this, Just don’t say anything unless she says, ‘How come you aren’t talking to me mommy?’ then tell her you can’t understand her !!!

1 Like

It’s a phase I’ve two 7 year olds oldest is 8 next month and they both do it too I’ve just started ignoring them until they ask why I’m ignoring them and then I explain they’re 7 not 2 and if they want something or need something they need to speak like a 7 year old and not like their 1 year old sister

2 Likes

My daughter is 9 and does this occasionally. Pretty sure she got it from school.

Tell her if she is going to talk like a baby, you are going to treat her like one. Earlier bed time, not allowed on electronic devices ( babies can’t operate them ) give her baby food. Diapers ??? Big girls don’t wear diapers. She has to take naps during the day because babies need to sleep a lot. So on…

1 Like

It’s a phase, just ignore it and it will stop.

Or

You can act like you can’t understand her, tell her that you cant understand baby talk and until she talks like a big kid. You can’t help her. Or do what she is asking.

Ignore it. It can be a possible attention seeking behavior. Like the other mamas said, redirect to talk in a “big girl voice” :slightly_smiling_face:

What is a “grown up” 6 year old? :thinking: Maybe it has something to do with that.

2 Likes

Do you have a baby? My stepson and my bio daughter are 9 and 8 now. When their little sister was born they were 6 and 7 and did this. Idk what it is anout a new baby being around but they started talking like babies. Thankfully they’ve both outgrown it.

There is no such thing as a “grown up” 6yo. At the end of the day, they are just little kids. She may be rebelling against being expected to act older than she is. I would sit down and talk to her. Let her express her feelings freely, and validate them.

1 Like

My son did that. We would say “I’m sorry but I don’t understand baby talk”

Then we’d not respond if he baby talked more after that. He caught on really quick

Tell her you don’t understand her and ask if she can talk to you like a big girl. If she says no, tell her she can come back when she is ready.

2 Likes

My 6 y/o does this too! I think for her it is just a stage and she thinks it’s funny or cute. She will do it in public and it’s embarrassing. I correct her every time though, and say your a big girl stop talking like a baby. She has been doing it for about 8 months now but it gets less and less

It’s a phase.
That said, ignore her or tell her, “How old are you? Oh, 6? Ok. Well until you talk like a 6yr old, I can’t help you.” It worked on my daughter. Lol

You need to dive in and determine the why behind this and try to understand.
She is a 6yo who is not a grown up and should not be referred as one.
It is a phase but ALL forms of behavior is communication.

1 Like

l get paid over $177 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18223 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingearning120.pages.dev/

Mine is 8 and does it. Drives me crazy! I just tell her to talk right, she’s not a baby, or I tell her I don’t understand baby talk and she’ll talk normal. I’m assuming it’s a phase and she’ll grow out of it eventually.

If she asks for something, don’t give it to her until she asks correctly.

1 Like

Is there a new, younger sibling in the picture?

2 Likes

My daughter is like this. She watches these horrid YouTube shows of adults/teens playing with dolls. She’s mocking them. It gets on my nerves! I cut her off from YouTube & ignore the baby talk. Find out what is influencing her. Stop the influence.

It’s a stage, she could also be playing and using her imagination don’t discourage imagination. You could ask her to use her big kid words when talking to you. But I’d let her play and pretend all she wants.

My daughter watches some YouTube video where they play dolls and use baby voices. She started doing it too. I just tell her to stop and she does…:woman_shrugging:t2:

Just tell her you don’t understand baby talk and you’ll listen when she talks to you normally. If she’s asking for something, ignore her until she asks for it normally.

1 Like

I did this when I was younger bc I thought it would get me more attention bc babies get attention.
The comments of telling her you don’t understand baby talk helps but also make an effort to spend personal time w her doing what she likes. I’m sure you do but maybe asking for her insight might help

1 Like

Kids go through weird phases. My niece is 10 and sometimes still acts like a cat lol. The best thing to do is just ignore it; it’ll pass.

1 Like

My almost 5 year old does this. I tell her to use her words, annunciate, talk loud enough I can hear her etc.

2 Likes

As an OT this is what I recommend to my patients parents:
Tell her you need her to speak like a (her current age - a 6 year old )
I do not recommend telling her not to speak like a baby or use her big girl voice… use her age. ‘I need you to speak in a 6yr olds voice please … the child will self adjust on their own into what they believe is appropriate…

2 Likes

Don’t communicate with her when she speaks to you or anyone else. She’ll get the point eventually.

1 Like

Possibly LOOKING FOR ATTENTION?

My 5 year old does this, too lol. She’s just being silly, probably misses being wittle. :laughing::heart:

Maybe she ismaking fun of you.

Tell her to cut that shit out. She’s 6 not 3? Lol

1 Like

Tell her you’re gonna put her in speech and she has to go once a week. Also talk to her pediatrician if it’s possible there could be an underlying condition.

My daughter went through that stage around the same age too. I just constantly corrected her. I think it I started to annoy her lol. She eventually stopped.

Has there been any big changes in the house? Maybe a new sibling? If not maybe you can try talking to her dr

2 Likes

My childs 10 with autism and speakd like a baby when hes very anxious. Thats my q to figure out what is making them anxious even if i dont understand it

2 Likes

The fact you have stated that she is a “grown-up” 6 year old speaks volumes to me. Because a child has a good vocabulary, by no means makes them "grown-up " any more than another child, it’s simply developmental. And how your always being told how much older she sounds, maybe she just wants to be a 6 year old , without having to be “grown-up”

15 Likes

My daughter started doing this when her little brother was born. We tried to ignore it, correct her, turns out it was her tonsils! She was compressing her tongue because of her tonsils were swollen. She got them removed and shes good now!

3 Likes

My grand daughter does this too but I jus stop her n ask her to not do that becuz she isn’t a baby…n she stops🙆

Our 5 yr old will pretend her animals and toys are talking to eachother. And I mean like three and four person conversation going on. She is learning behaviour and responses and replys and expresses it through play.
We enjoy listening to her talk to toys and animals the context of her conversations is so innocent and cute. It’s actually very healthy. When our daughter tried to retort back to baby talk we told her to talk normal and she would. With her talking by herself she is learning to pronounce words more clearly especially if we hear a mispronounciation and correct her. She will repeat it till she has it clear. My husband is a truck driver and sometimes we are out on the road for weeks at a time. Her pronounciation of words has inproved 150% in the past 4 months. She also meets lots of people from different cultures and hears strong accents like creole in Louisiana and those strong Boston accents all the way down to the Texas Mexico border where we get our watermellon loads.

She’s wanting more attention. To her it doesn’t matter what kind as long as she’s getting it. Just let her know that you can’t understand her when she does this and that she needs to use words

5 Likes

I think they all go through this.

1 Like

If she’s undiagnosed autistic it could be regression and she can’t help it.

5 Likes