How can I get my daughter to make healthier choices?

how can i get my 10 year old daughter to stop bein such a picky eater…she is my only child who wont eat what i make for dinner…i think its a texture thing with most things. she will only eat ramen, pizza or nuggets. i am worried for her health at this point as she is gainin weight (not that i woudl EVER tell her that)i just want her to be healthy but she literally just hates everything

100 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my daughter to make healthier choices? - Mamas Uncut

Possibly sensory processing disorder? We do feeding therapy.

2 Likes

My daughter is the same…its texture for her…luckily for me I bought her protein shakes…she loves them. Also get her on vitamins

2 Likes

Mine is the same, I’m going crazy lol, sick of wasting foods. Looking forward to some answers too

Filling for myself :sweat:

I’m following along for myself, cause I’m 24 and I’m a picky eater who has texture issues. I don’t like being picky, and it’s not a conscious decision, I wish I could change it. Things that are perceived as “gross” to me are actually scary, the idea of eating something that tastes and feels bad is a big no thank you. I won’t even try something if the texture or smell is iffy.

4 Likes

Check with a occupational or maybe speech therapist. My daughter had major speech issues when she was younger and her speech teacher connected us with an OT who did some feeding therapy. Unfortunately we didn’t qualify for the therapies long enough once we started that one to continue long but they offered some great tips and did great work with her in the short time we spent there!

1 Like

My daughter is picky too. She started to like more healthier meats like chicken and turkey I also try to give her at least one fruit with every meal. We are working on vegtabkes she’s super picky but she loves corn and potatoes so we do that a lot. I just recently found a garden ranch dressing that she will actually eat with cucumbers, (I’ll send you a pic if you like) small steps, just try new and different things and see what sticks :slightly_smiling_face: (also I switched all her sandwiches to whole wheat it didn’t make a difference to her at all and a lot healthier)

My son is picky too but they eventually grow out of it… He drinks milk, eats some fruit, and takes vitamin gummy worms.

She’ll eat only what you provide when she gets hungry. Who’s really in charge?

5 Likes

Letting her gain weight in the long run is so much worse than having a gentle, kind and honest conversation about her choices and consequences.

2 Likes

Definitely do some research on sensory processing disorder and then get in touch with an occupational therapist

1 Like

Let them tell u what they want! I was encouraged to eat things I didn’t lila! Sad storybthere! I am still a picky eater… but I never did that to my kids…it was hard on me as a child of the 70s…eat or go hungry…but my kids learned to eat what they wanted…and I heard all the bs…spoiled ass kids n such…they had a full tummy and had healthy things as snacks n such! Never force ur babies to eat things they dont want to! I have a texture problem and I’m 51…so I just go with the flow! As long as they stay active to burn off the calories! I say let them be! Justly saying! My kids are grown and learned to eat healthy stuff and are happy adults with good eating habits! #loveforuandurs! #neverforcethem!
#letthembekids!

Picky eater no more like unhealthy

I have a picky eater in my home. I have a eat as much fruit/vegetables as you want rule. Otherwise it’s eat what’s for dinner or forget it.

6 Likes

I was that way when I was younger, I hated the way some food would sound in my mouth, or the feel of food. Not necessarily the taste, I have sensory issues, didn’t eat pizza until I was 11, hamburger I was 12… now I’m ok it took years for me to like certain things.

2 Likes

Maybe seek an eating disorder therapist I am doing so too since I started picky eating at a very young age now at 29 I still suffer

Depends… has it been a texture thing tgats worsened over time…
Or the fact she says No. Then gets what she wants anyway bc your afraid she’ll go hungry…
I’ve got kids with Sensory issues /spectrum, who will literally Gag or Shiver at the sight, smell or thought of touching certain things… but its not just food -its with anything they touch…
Bittersweet learning for my neurotypical kids who have had to learn to speak up when they really dont like something… eg. All veggies are yuk bit Mushrooms are the most yukky… so we compromise… mum gets the mushies but we all still gotta eat brocolli

2 Likes

She might have sensory issues and the textures in certain foods might be one of her triggers. I’ve always been told that I’m a picky eater but people never and still don’t understand that certain textures I just can’t stand, not necessarily the flavor of the food but the texture. Also, some foods/seasonings trigger my migraines. As a child I had never made the connection, as an adult people who don’t know about migraines think it’s an excuse. I would rather not eat anything all day than eat something I know will trigger a migraine and then be left to deal with it.

3 Likes

Offer healthy foods. If she doesn’t eat then so be it. She’ll eat when she realizes she’s not gonna get her normal junk food

5 Likes

Have her look on Pinterest for recipes she wants to try and do them together

You need to check out spd - because if it is that, she won’t eat other foods - it’s not a give her food and she will eat it or nothing- a child with sensory issues would starve themselves, then eat what they deem as an unsafe food. And trying to force foods is a fast way, to develop an eating disorder

4 Likes

So I’m 29 and a picky eater, well for the most part. I have a texture issue and sensory issue with food. I don’t like slimy stuff, things that have a strong smell, and especially anything on bone. My mom didn’t do anything about it and I honestly wish she would have because I have had to combat the picky eating on my own. I add probiotic and super green powder to most of my food. I have found that I actually like most food just all mixed together creates a sensory overload. My advice would be to start small. For example, carrots, just one baby one for dinner. We all know carrots have like no taste but it’s a good one to start with to get used to trying new things. Give her a reward at the end of the week if she takes just a bite of a new food every single night. Also it is very important to not be stressed during meal times with her. Make it fun and positive or she will naturally relate that food with a negative vibe making it impossible for her to ever try it.

2 Likes

For me it was the texture, I still don’t eat rice, and guess what, I was forced to eat it for years. All it did it make me resent my mom for not listening to my feelings. I’m in my 20s… still won’t eat rice. Try experimenting with different cold fruits and veggies and dips like a charcuterie board with different things, add something she’ll definitely like so she’s attracted to it but not so much it’s the only thing she’ll eat. Yeah I know half the comments grew up when their fathers never told them he loves them, but it does no harm in listening to your kid and just trying new things to help them. No one’s saying let her pig out on whatever, just that if YOU know what you do and don’t like in your mouth, so does most kids lol even if they forget they tried it and hated it, they’ll know if they don’t like it when they eat it lol. Try a bunch of different charcuterie type snack boards of foods and snacks and veggies and fruits and dips and just random things to try, make the most healthy connection with food she can get, no matter her weight now or in the future, a healthy relationship with food and herself is important.

4 Likes

Is there ways you can make these foods from scratch?

Shes 10… get her to help you cook you both a meal chicken nugget wraps add some coloured salad. Even if it’s on the table dont make a fuss. Get the bikes out… (if you can) make a routine of having a meal then half hour on the bike :blush:

Stop buying ramen, pizza, and nuggets…
No child is going to starve themselves to death, she will eat what is provided when she gets hungry enough
I wouldn’t jump to a texture or sensory issue since none of those 3 foods have the same texture

9 Likes

All my grandkids are the same way and so are daycare kids… ramen pizza pizza rolls chicken nuggets

Mealtime Hostage - The Group

Does she see u eat unhealthy items as well

I have to say -

1. You’re not a restaurant. Some minor accommodations are acceptable (my son is pure Italian on the parental side. He refused to eat sauce on pasta, but was fine with dipping pasta into a bowl of sauce. Easy accommodation to avoid any excess drama). I don’t think a “clean your plate” method is healthy, but she should absolutely be expected to eat small portions of whatever you make, Withee reasonable accommodations (cheese on veggies, I used a lot of hot sauce and salsa when I was young because my foster female was a horrible cook, ranch dressing on potatoes, etc.)
    2 - I don’t think hiding her weight gain is a great idea. Don’t get me wrong! I don’t think screaming she’s fat at her is any idea. But, she is at a critical age and kids can be terrible to each other. You may try to find a tactful way to tell her that her eating habits are unhealthy and you’re worried for her health, but also that she’s starting to gain some weight and she may not want to deal with peers calling her out on it. By all means, she can be curvy and proud! But, at least prepare her for the fact that she may have to cross that hurdle. You’re not doing her any favors by avoiding the truth.
    3 - Make her “go to” meals special - like, no more than one, once a week. Not gonna lie…it’ll suck at first, especially since you’ve been enabling her behavior. But, maybe let her pick one night a week she wants, say, pizza, and ask her to help with the rest of the week’s menu. My son is also a pizza fan (he’s 27, he can do what he wants lol), but was hospitalized a few years ago. I came up with scores of recipes that used pizza ingredients to simulate the taste of pizza and his other faves. Pizza pasta. Pizza zucchini boats. Chicken Parmesan. Eggplant Parmesan. Pizza sandwiches. Pasta with chicken and wing flavors. You get the idea. Look at some recipes with her and ask her to pick some out with you.
    And, BTW, tomato sauce, for pasta, is a fantastic way to hide all the vegetables! Mince or blend onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, etc. and add to sauce. Out of sight, out of mind! :relaxed:

Find a low calorie pizza base option then add healthy low calorie items onto it… Weight comes down to calorie intake so you can control her weight… And maybe make home made nuggets as storebought can be pretty high in calories.

Only buy/ offer healthy choices. Supplement with pediasure I used to mix 1/2 pediasure, 1/2 milk(or milk substitute: almond milk, coconut almond milk) for my kids with breakfast and after noon snack (apple, apricots or some other fruit or veggies choice. Start shopping 1st in the fresh section then move to Staples, bread, eggs, dairy, cheese. Pinterest healthy food items for ideas :slight_smile: mix it up, salads are a great option you can mix so many different varieties:)

You need to stop giving in to her, If you are worried about her weight then do something about it. Stop giving in to her, I would say she only eats what she does because she knows she can. So will go on eating whatever she wants the longer you give in to her. Just try cooking a meal and tell her that is all there is. Don’t have anything that she eats in the home when you tell her. Then she won’t have an option as she will be hungry otherwise and kids don’t like not eating. There is an old saying (sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind) Good luck

5 Likes

I buy what my kids eat. They either eat what’s served or go hungry. I do however offer a salad or a healthy sandwich option that they can make themselves. There isn’t any other option. You buy the food so ONLY buy healthier options. She will get hungry eventually when she realizes that you aren’t giving into her pickiness.

5 Likes

No advice because I have the same issue with my 8 year old boy. Same foods though, that’s all he seems to ever want and he NEVER wants to try new things. He already has a higher metabolism like his dad, so he isn’t gaining weight like he should. Been having to help with that. Now his younger brother (who is autistic) Is showing pickiness. Best of luck momma, it’s HARD dealing with a picky eater.

2 Likes

Don’t push it. My mother tried to push it and even went as far as mixing a diet gel in my water before i ate so i would basically let all my food out. To this day I have body image issues and have a hard time eating around people . Give it time. I started living on salad and chicken and eating other food as i got into middle school and high school and saw all the options in the cafeteria

1 Like

Never ever force a child to eat food they don’t like - like the above comments suggest! It can lead to all sorts of problems around food and anxiety. I suggest trying to get her to try new foods and supplement her diet with a multivitamin. Kids are not animals. The comments that suggest she won’t starve and will give in and eat foods she doesn’t like are ridiculous. She’s a human not a pet :roll_eyes:

My daughter is 12 and has always been the same. She is being assessed for autism and her food issues are part of it. And it is sensory and it is to do with texture. If she doesn’t like the look/feel of a food texture she simply won’t eat it. The foods she does eat are different textures, that’s not how it works so ignore those stupid comments too. As long as she is happy and getting a vitamin supplement I wouldn’t worry. It may sort itself in time or it may be a sign of something else going on, either way forcing her won’t help at all x

9 Likes

Set a good example. Watch what you eat but don’t restrict, just eat everything in moderation. If you want that cookie, eat that cookie :slightly_smiling_face:

if your childs gaining weight then tell her if you dont noone will

5 Likes

My daughter won’t eat vegetables
I’ve given up
What I do is I make bolognese sauce and add blended vegetables soup into it
She’s 12 and won’t even eat onions
I don’t allow a lot of processed foods now because she’d rather eat that over healthy food
She likes fruit but I have to cut it up for her still :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

Food Therapy might help

2 Likes

My son was like that, I didn’t cave. Then he joined the military- you eat what they give you or you really will go hungry. He is almost 23 and will eat just about anything.

1 Like

We have 4 kids and have 2 that are picky eaters. When they were little they would eat everything but got pickier the older they got. Their pediatrician said that they will eventually grow out of it and to make options they will eat but to always add in just one healthy or new item at a time. As my one son has gotten older, we talk about what textures he likes and what he might be willing to try and he has since added broccoli and cashews and carrots into his diet (he’s now 13). My mom also adds veggies and fruits into meals when they visit (puréed veggies in pasta sauce, bananas into milk, etc). It has gotten better the older they have gotten. And it has never worked to try to “make” then eat certain foods. We just ask them to “try” but if they don’t, we don’t sweat it. Good luck!

1 Like

We do no thank you bites, (even if it’s his 12th time). The more he knows what to expect, the less he dislikes it. (Most off the time). One time I had an hour long face off with him. (When it first started) I kept telling him he could have anything he wanted to eat as long as he tried one bite. Eventually he tried it. He was literally shocked that he liked it (he said it looked gross) then proceeded to eat 3 plates full (he was about 6 at the time). But keep in mind- your consistency with EVERYTHING will help with this. If there’s no consistency anywhere else within the household (not saying there isn’t) then this will likely not work.

2 Likes

All these comments about making special dinners and making healthier choices. When I grew up as a child and the same way I raised my children was this: I fix healthy meals and you eat what I fix, or you wait until the next Meal Time to eat. I let my kids snack on popcorn or pretzels, fruit or vegs w/dip in between meals. I didn’t butter the popcorn!

7 Likes

Either stop making what she prefers, or keep feeding her the same stuff. It won’t kill her.
She’ll eventually develop a taste palette.

When my kids was younger I just added mixed veggies to almost everything I cooked. After so long they just started to eat their veggies

Stop buying ramen , pizza and nuggets :rofl:

13 Likes

You mentioned texture - she may have sensory issues. It may be a good idea to get her evaluated. If she’s neurodivergent, you can get an appt with a nutritionist who can help you.

I had sensory issues growing up, texture was a big problem for me, too. Some foods would make me physically gag even. My parents forced (and I do quite literally mean forced, in sometimes cruel ways) me to eat whatever was being served, and I dreaded meal times for a good chunk of years of my childhood. I literally would have preferred to starve. Turns out I am ADHD, and likely am autistic as well (I’ll find out for sure soon).

My daughter is ADHD and autistic. She has the same sensory issues as I did. Eating is a struggle. I refuse to do what my parents did, so we let her eat her “safe” foods, we encourage her to try new foods, but if she doesn’t like it, that’s ok, she doesn’t have to eat it. And because she KNOWS that we won’t force her to eat it if she doesn’t like it, she is pretty open to trying new foods, and even trying foods again later on that she didn’t like before. Because she feels safe and trusts us. Slowly over time, new foods are added to her list of “safe” foods.

6 Likes

My daughter has major sensory issues, and she is not a fan of meat. She is very picky. I think this is a sensory thing. However she loves all fresh fruits. Try fresh fruits? Good luck. Kids are hard.

2 Likes

Stop buying junk food???

8 Likes

My son tried this. Unfortunately for him it’s not my job to allow him to eat nothing but junk. It is however my responsibility to make sure he has a healthy diet and eats the things he needs to stay healthy. He may throw a fit here and there, but he gets the nutrition he needs. Sometimes parents have to be the asshole. It’s sucks more than anything but you have to ask yourself if you want your child to end up healthy and mad at you for a few minutes or if you want to be your child’s friend while watching their health decline

My daughter has texture problems. No slimy seeds from tomatoes or cucumbers. Certain things like peas ain’t going to happen. But c’mon, only nuggets, pizza and ramen? That’s deliberate choice, not texture. Don’t buy junk. Get fruit, veggies and some low fat ranch dip. Cook real meals with some similar flavors to pizza, but healthier ingredients.

4 Likes

My son will only eat rice and Mac and cheese he’s 3. I keep offering him food. He’s also picky but also has sensory problems. By offering him the same plate as I am eating even tho I kno he’s not going to eat it he’s has tried bananas,peas,green beans. He will not touch any meats tho

1 Like

Ok I’m going through this with my niece that I just got full custody of in February . Let me tell you something that’s all she ate dfs has been in it from the start . They flat told mom dad and I that is child abuse and if I can’t get her to start getting her to eat other foods they told the parents they would take her and put her in state custody . Well I’m old school thank god !! You eat what I make or you don’t get up from that table until it’s ate . She’s 4 so far now she eats pretty much everything but cabbage and chili . I’m telling you quit buying the crap !!! Oh yes you’re gonna hear it from her but who is the damn parent ?

Stop buying pizza, ramen or nuggets. Only cook Whole Foods. Chicken leg quarters, broccoli, spinach

4 Likes

My rule is, they can’t eat it if I don’t buy it! Stop buying that stuff, she won’t starve. When she gets hungry enough, she will eat something other than that. My oldest has non verbal autism and it took years of practice.

5 Likes

V8. They have V8 that is not strictly tomato juice but still gives you the benefits of veggies. Make soups or use things like cauliflower rice. There are foods out there made with veggies and taste like real meat for example. Im on my own weight loss journey and my husband still eats all the carby foods I prefer to stay away from, sometimes I indulge but not like I used to. He would help me by not buying things like that when I was starting out or keep his snacks in the car or at work so I wasn’t tempted. It has gotten easier. Be honest and tell her you want her healthy, happy and energetic and over time thoes food choices will make her sluggish and tired and could cause even worse problems in the future for her.

1 Like

My ex husband and I took our daughter to therapy because we couldn’t figure out why she wouldn’t eat. She stopped eating her favorite foods…well it was a control issue. At this age they are gaining and wanting independence. They are wanting a say, make choices/decisions but we as adults are looking for all other reasons than a simple one. Honestly what decisions or choices does your child make, solely on what they want, feel or think?? For our daughter, she would control what she ate and when she ate…independence, control, her choices…so per the advice of her therapist…I made meals as normal, offered her dinner, if she decided she didn’t want it, when she was hungry there was a platter in the fridge with fresh fruit, cheese, crackers, deli meat and veggies…she was told if she got hungry there was a platter in the fridge she could choose from…after about a month…she slowly started to be less stubborn. Also per her therapist…she was eating at least breakfast and lunch everyday (home or school) she wasn’t going to starve missing out on dinner.

Have her help cook dinner ,I found my kids were proud when they cooked and would eat or at least try what they were making ,and try having her plan a meal a week and over see her making it,

2 Likes

Do less of it in her portions. She can still have her favorite things but just less in qty and fill half the plate with veggies and she has to eat veggies first

She’s old enough to talk to to coax into trying new foods. Let her go to the store with you to pick out some healthier options herself and let her help prepare meals. She’s also at the prepubescent age where they gain a little weight before puberty hits so don’t think she’s unhealthy by weight alone, however that’s not a diet she’s going to get the vitamins/nutrients her body needs. She should definitely take a vitamin or supplement every day.

1 Like

Please from someone who has struggled with her weight my WHOLE life stop her bad eating habits now! Teach her to eat healthy and exercise. Get her moving and active!

3 Likes

Have a conversation with your dr about it

All yall saying sensory issue are wrong. This child is choosing what she will eat. My son “tries” to gag when eating certain foods because he thinks I won’t make him eat it. I say stop it and he eats fine. Its NOT a sensory issue, its a manipulative issue. And I was THIS mom who gave him so he wouldn’t starve. When I stopped giving in he would try AND like what I cooked. Imagine that. Stand strong momma.

9 Likes

now my daughter does have a sensory food thing, try making smoothies and turn them into icypoles (she will think they are icecream if you make them when she isnt around) make them with fruit and yogurts, also dont buy the noddles,pizza or nuggets, it starts with you and you have given into it , allow her to help choose some healthier dinners and allow her to help you cook it,

Sometimes it can be sensory or a control issue. The ONLY way to really get her to stop eating nuggets, pizza, and ramen only is to really not buy them and replace with something healthier. Instead of ramen maybe do a penne pasta with vegetables that have been cooked in low sodium or no sodium chicken stock. Instead of pizza maybe do a flat bread topped with a homemade Alfredo sauce and maybe spinach and chicken. Instead of chicken nuggets do grilled chicken with bbq to dip in or pulled chicken sliders even.

1 Like

If you think is sensory has she been tested? Maybe consult with her pediatrician and see if you can’t get into a nutritionist and therapy. It could just bc those are convenience foods. When she’s tried different foods why does she say she doesn’t like it? Or does she say one thing bc she knows it works and she can eat what she wants after she says it?

ODS is 14yo and we still insist he tries new foods. The trashcan is nearby and he has a drink. Sometimes he likes the taste but the texture is no good and he’ll vomit. Sometimes he keeps it down. Also by involving him more in cooking he’s got more of an urge to at least try it bc he made it. There’s ways around eating healthy and dealing with real texture issues.

Make it simple:
This is the meal I cooked. Eat it or go hungry.
You are not starving her, she is making the choice to starve herself, and you are standing there with a plate of food ready when she decides she is hungry enough to get over it and eat.
10 is old enough to understand it.
But you have to stick with it and not give in.

6 Likes

My son were like that. I gave him a choice of whats for dinner and if he didnt want to eat it, he went to bed hungry. After 2 days he ate spaghetti and mince and started trying new things. Now 2 years later he almost eat anything and is much healthier. It is very difficult sending him to bed hungry but it worked. He is 12 now.

1 Like

Bring her to the store, let her chose which veggie which fruit… especially if it is new to her… or u… its more of a game. My daughter found food I didn’t even know about!

My daughter grew out of it now she is 21 and eats everything

1 Like

Well considering my mother only kept fat free, low fat, diet food in the house because she didn’t want us to be big. It wasn’t to her liking. I have a huge issue with food my whole life cause of it. I was a very picky eater. The trauma from my lovely mother of food that wasn’t diet has never left me in 38 years.

Instead of making food and eating a problem, try different ways to make it more fun or enjoyable for her. Include her in cooking and the shopping and meal planning. Ask her what she wants to cook or try. Communication goes a long way. Don’t just stop buying the food cold turkey. That will cause problems in your relationship with her. I was a very picky eater when I was a kid and I still am as an adult. Some food is sensory issues because the texture is just weird. (I like raw tomatoes but I can’t stand cooked tomatoes) just try to be there for her Instead of “I made this now eat it or starve”. My relationship with food is still terrible because the people in my life made meals a terrible time for me. I’m 21 for reference and my mom is no longer in my life (bunch of other reasons too)

1 Like

If she seriously has a sensory issue the she needs to be seen by her pediatrician and referred to a occupational therapist to overcome it. My daughter had sensory issues when she was young and did feeding therapy. This should have been dealt with long before 10 years old. Make sure she’s getting plenty of exercise to combat her poor diet.

1 Like

Explore healthy food options that taste good with her.
Kids today love to watch youtubers, I believe theirs a few food enthusiasts on YouTube that appeal to kids. Maybe put some on and see if she will start watching with you.
Don’t make a huge deal about it just casually bring it up. Also, example what your eating. Go on food missions together to learn fun new recipes and make together.

put healthy food in front of her if she dont eat it she goes without she will get hungry enough sooner or later she cant live on 2 things she eats

I can’t believe how many uneducated people are on this thread …. What a sad way to be, when in todays world, information is literally in the palm of your hands

You are the parent. You decide what goes on that plate.

4 Likes

Only allow a certain amount of those each month, show her and tell her that’s all she’s getting of those foods for the month. If you take it all away it can make her go really crazy with unhealthy food when she’s an adult. For meals allow a safe food but also have her take a curtousy bite of each thing, she doesn’t have to like it or eat more than one bite but she must try one bite. Don’t make a big deal of her eating it, act like it’s normal for her to eat it. Once she gets used to trying things take her to the store with you and ask if there’s anything she’d like to try.

2 Likes

My youngest bonus child will literally try to go to the store if we don’t have what he wants. He will throw the biggest fit including violent behavior if he doesn’t get what he wants. Im at my end too…

My kids only eat certain things , it’s not that big of a deal . She will outgrow it and start trying other things . You can’t starve your child or force her to eat what you eat . If you’re worried about her weight take a family walk everyday !

Umm… you eat what you get and you don’t throw a fit. I don’t make anything different for my picky eater. You either learn to like it or you don’t eat. Catering get you nowhere but stress.

8 Likes

I highly recommend this group for good ways to help picky eaters no matter what their reason for being picky is…
Real Families, Real Meals

I have to sneak veggies into things… like pasta… rice… or soups…
Add some veggies and meat to the Ramen…
Make cooking and meal time fun…
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. But it’s better than it was before.

I cant believe all the parents saying eat or go hungry…like what…
That’s a form of child abuse…
It’s your job as a parent to make sure they are fed ,clothed and a roof over their head…
I’m some glad some of yall aren’t my parents

7 Likes

If it’s truly a texture issue all this bs of you eat what I make suggestions will do nothing but damage your relationship. Take her to a nutritional dr. She’s getting old enough to understand that you need to work together to figure out what healthy food she will eat. Allowing her to eat that junk until 10 and then trying yo figure it out is going to work against you

2 Likes

I put veggies in her noodles. And chicken too

1 Like

I was a very picky eater when I was a child, Let it be, Give her smaller portions of things & if she doesn’t like it, then fine, but if she likes something else more, than give her more of that

2 Likes

If you suspect a sensory issue you need to speak with her physician.

3 Likes

We would start making our own pizza out of our pick of whole wheat tortillas homemade pizza sauce bell peppers and spinach with lowfat cheese . But my kids had a blast but for every topping they had to pick a veggie and they loved use different colors

1 Like

We also practice if you dont like it atleast try it 3 for 3 bites

1 Like

My kids were that way then I realized they just told me they hated things so I’d make one of those things. So I started telling them to eat what I made or go hungry. We got to where we put a timer in front of them and they had 30 minutes to eat or no tv. Now they eat hamburgers, Salisbury steaks, chicken and rice, etc. now some things they won’t touch even under the timer (like butter beans) so you kinda learn what they genuinely don’t like and what they just telling you they don’t

2 Likes

My twins are same
Way, you’re not alone. I try not to take it personal when they complain but sometimes I do.If they don’t like what I make,then they know there’s always cereal or yogurt.

The rules in my house are u eat what I cook or u go to bed hungry. I’m not making several different things for my kids to eat and they know that. My 5 year old will try and throw a tantrum about it but I hold my ground and eventually he eats what I cook

3 Likes

Stop buying ramen, nuggets and pizza. She will eat other things.

4 Likes

Sounds like she’s just picky
She likes to eat junk

We do something called a “No thank you bite” that’s how I get my daughter to try things. I have her take a no thank you bite of anything she’s never had before. And if she doesn’t like it I don’t make her eat it again. Thankfully she’s always been really good at it so she is very much not a picky eater.