How can I get my daughter to make healthier choices?

Change her pizza, make the dough out of cauliflower. You can either tell her or don’t but there isn’t a big difference.

Have you tried making the things she does like but an alternative version. Pizza with cauliflower crust, veggie nuggets, zucchini noodles? I personally believe too that kids just need to at least try everything more than once. My kids are much better eaters than I am. Plus I’ve also learned there are more foods that I do like than I thought because of course I have to try what I am serving them. The amount of veggies my kids LOVE to eat is insane.

1 Like

Take her to a therapy center and have first her jaw evaluated kids with chew/jaw deficiencies are often picky.

Have her help you cook!!! It’ll help you two feel more connected and she can see what the ingredients are!

When my daughter started falling off eating, I just had her start helping me cook, we bonded more, and she was more delighted to eat it because “she made it”.

Textures are difficult for me as well so I totally get it!

Also no matter what’s infront of my kids, I ask them to eat atleast HALF of their plate. I dont fill them up super full, they usually ask for seconds, but I tell them they need to have atleast HALF their plate to be excused. And they need to eat their FULL plate if they want anything else through the evening! Cause I’m only cooking dinner once!!

1 Like

10 is a reasonable time to for a child to gain weight btw

my 5 yo is food bipolar. i’ll make a certain type of chicken and she’ll eat it but when i make it again she dnt like it and will throw a fit. i can only get her to eat strawberry pj&j. she drives me insane . i stopped buyin the peanut butter and jelly or i wont buy bread and she started to explore other options but she goes to bed hungry bc i will not make a separate meal for her ! i have 4 kids it’s not happening

1 Like

Make home made pizza and nuggets. You can hid veggies in them. As a chunky girl is wish I would have learned to eat better as a kid

1 Like

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 17166 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. M0re Info. https://jobsgalexy245.netlify.app/

I suggest try making home made ramen and you can add your own stuff to it making it healthier if you add eggs, veggies, meats, etc. What are you making that she is having the problems with? My ex is the worlds pickiest eater because he was given what he wanted because otherwise he wouldn’t eat and his siblings are the same way. Just cause she doesn’t like the way you made something the first time doesn’t mean she won’t like the next. I recommend ensure shakes or protein shakes as another source of getting what she needs.

1 Like

Does she have sensory issues? If you don’t think so ask to be sure. And then have an open and honest conversation to help find foods better for her that she will eat. Ask her to try new things (one bite rule at my house) we finally found foods that my kid and I (adhd with sensory issues) could agree on eating.

That’s legit all 3 of my kids eat too! Ramen, pizza and nuggets. :pensive: It’s definitely the age and they will grow out of it. I tell my kids 2 nights out of the week they get to pick what they want but the other nights I make what I make and if they don’t eat then sorry, I’m not making other food. But I still try to let them pick stuff they like 2 nights out of the week.

1 Like

I was a texture kind of kid. I was picky but a lot of things I wouldn’t eat were due to texture. I am almost 24 years old and I wouldn’t eat steak up until probably 2 years ago. I was the same way with guacamole until I was about 19 years old. I would take her to her pediatrician and see what they can suggest.

I would also try to make meals and snacks fun. Look up fun recipes to make with her, have her help you grocery shop for those items, and have her help you cook.

You can also find some alternatives to the stuff she likes. You can look up alternatives for the pizza crust and toppings. You can get chicken nugget alternatives as well! Or maybe you could find a homemade chicken nugget recipe that would be a bit healthier than traditional chicken nuggets.

1 Like

I would let her just keep eating those things but make them in a healthier way 

Stop buying pizza, nuggets and Ramen… she will eat what you put in the house.

9 Likes

My son only eats about 13 food. I buy him what he will eat.

It’s okay to tell a child they are eating unhealthy and the consequences of that! Don’t be afraid to tell them that there are many health issues that come with being unhealthy, not just obesity. Teach then about type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, heart problems. Remember who the parent is and who does the shopping. Children don’t have the willpower to starve themselves.

Teaching healthy habits as children will help them retain that as adults. Many of us now wish we’d been taught alot of this as children.

6 Likes

I’d definitely make her make her own salad :green_salad: and other healthy options. Talk to her doctor on what to do have her cook homemade meals with you. Have her eat fruit :apple: and vegetables help her make healthy choices and remember that your the adult and if she doesn’t want to eat what you cook then that’s on her she will eat if she’s hungry stop buying her what she will only eat. Because if you don’t have what she’s use to then she has to eat what you give her.

Stop buying those things. Let her pick out foods that aren’t pizza, nuggets & ramen.
Also, ask her Dr abt a nutritionist & a therapist? She can work thru texture issues with food.

4 Likes

We have 5 kids and they all have different tastes. We have a pop night every Wednesday and Saturday where they pick a pop and have no veggie. It’s more of a junk food night. But in order to get it they have to complete all other meals with their vegetables. On veggie nights they get dessert. Kind of a tit for tat situation. At first it was a fight but now it’s great!

3 Likes

If it’s a texture thing you should have her asses for sensory condition and autism rather then forcing her.

It’s what you allow her to do. Stop by her junk food

8 Likes

If it’s a texture thing then have her evaluated for sensory issues. My daughter is 12, but she is autistic and food has always been an issue for her. We’ve gotten better over time with therapy, but honestly, it’s more about moderation. We’ve gotten to a point where she’s willing to try new things, but if she truly doesn’t like it or can’t handle the texture then we move on. She eats waffles, pancakes, pizza, and nuggets. We just keep an eye on intake. Eating a 1000 calories in pizza is the same as a 1000 calories in a salad when it comes to weight gain. We explained to her why certain food choices are better in terms of how they make you feel and their purpose, but ultimately it came down to intake. Her nutritionist agreed that with her sensory issues the focus needed to be on ensuring she is eating enough instead of worrying about everything else right now. She takes vitamins and is overall really healthy. Just can’t handle a lot of food textures.

1 Like

My brother in law and his family do what they call a no thank you bite. They at least have to try it. It’s worked really well with his 5 year old super picky eater granddaughter.

2 Likes

Cook things that she will like, try different things. It starts when they’re younger tbh and what you fed them growing up. My girls always eat what I make, if it’s something we haven’t had I ask them to at least try it. Be gentle and talk about how we have to take care of ourselves, how she’s getting older and how it’s good to exercise, if she isn’t already. That’s it’s about her overall health and you don’t have to mention her weight, people can be overweight and still be healthy tbh.

I would stop buying ramens but maybe u can home make the nuggets and pizza in a healthier way

4 Likes

Buy healthier versions of ramen, pizza and nuggets. Those aren’t so bad if you buy the right kind or even make your own from home. Also, I would have her try different veggies, in a “not so healthy” way, broccoli and cheese, fried squash, tomatoes or whatever, just to find ways to squeeze those vitamins in.

1 Like

Occupational Therapy can help. These preferred foods have the same texture and taste every time, with fruits, there is no consistency… the fruit could be sweet and juicy one time and then could be bitter or sour the next time. Oral sensory issues take a long time and require a lot of patience. Put one healthy thing on her plate when you make her food. If she touches is, smells it, puts it to her lips, but doesn’t eat, that is still a win. Keep doing it. Let her play with it to get used to it if that is what it takes. Have fun with it. If they don’t feel stressed about it, they will be more inclined to try it. Also, dried fruit can help with consistency of taste and texture and is still healthier some alternatives…

3 Likes

Stop buying the junk food.

3 Likes

Please ignore everyone saying stop buying it so she can’t eat and speak with a physician. She can do therapy to work on food issues but I can tell you from experience it takes a long time and a lot of patience. Hang in there, you got this mom!

3 Likes

Well she’s got u trained. Thing is she won’t starve to death if you tell her to eat what’s on her plate. Trust me she’ll be hungry enough to eat it. No rewards either. Tough love is being strong enough to say no. If you don’t it will get worse. Have her help you prepare the meal,the praise and sampling might encourage her to change her ways! I taught my son,then my granddaughter when they were 3 and they eventually became great cooks and they would eat everything.

1 Like

I realized my baby cousins do the same thing. But that’s only because they know it’s in the house . If you dont buy it , they won’t see it. Plain and simple.

1 Like

Suzy those are my thoughts exactly, Mom has let this happen and fed into the childs demands. Eat what is on your plate and there is nothing else until you do. Do this for a few meals and the child will get the idea she isn’t boss

1 Like

Get her up and moving, playing, exercising through games or fun activities.
Look into buying a multivitamin to make up for the areas she won’t consume regularly. I think they may make liquid ones too, if she refuses the gummies or other versions. You can try to force at least the gummy, so that you don’t have to worry so much in that aspect.

She will grow out of it. Don’t worry. Try introducing things through just one bite. Don’t force it or you’ll just end up in a fight or struggle with food. With a gentle approach she’ll grow more willing one day.

And some kids will starve themselves. People who don’t know sensory or textural issues will show their ignorance by stating don’t buy it or just shove food. They’ll say to not feed them anything else until they finish their plate. Unless they’ve been through it, they have no idea. Kids with issues will not eat. Straight up. I don’t know about anyone else, but I REFUSE to starve my child. I don’t care if it has to be hot dogs or ‘not the greatest’ choice. Is it food? Yes? Good. Eat up, kiddo.

2 Likes

It’s almost as though these other mommas haven’t had neuro divergent kids with sensory issues. (Not saying it’s the issue OP is dealing with) but having a ND picky eater with no appetite it’s more sensory issues that cause the picky eating along with food allergies.
Now to advice for OP:
I air fry rather than deep fry. I add raw veggies on her plate, she seems to enjoy the crunch. I focus more on protein intake, and make up with multivitamins. We’ve started making nuggets on our own.

12 Likes

I see a lot of ppl saying it has something to do with sensory and what not but honestly I think majority of the time kids just have gotten used to horrible diets, fast food and such. My son has a few texture issues and is on the spectrum but still knows what I mean by healthy choices and once I just stopped getting Ramen and nugget type of foods he didn’t starve, he whined and developed better habits. Ppl always wanna use excuses and tbh really, most kids have self preservation. Today our society wants to use medical 3xcuses and labels but really we’ve just been taught bad habits and honestly it doesn’t help that healthy diets are much more expensive then bad ones. :sweat_smile: I always give my kids a second choice if they don’t like something, never force them to eat everything on their plates but they will not be allowed to live off pizza and nuggets. Period

10 Likes

And she’s ten not four, so the whole let me recite food textures from a post I saw on fb is crap. Allow her one night with the choice of pizza etc and the rest of the week healthy choices. My son really started getting excited when he was even helping prepare the meals.

4 Likes

I have a daughter with sensory issues with adhd, etc…try introducing new foods so she can find what she likes. Also explain that you would like everyone to be heart healthy and explain what that is without mentioning her current weight gain. Include her when you cook, let her help or have her help. It can be a form of family time/ mother daughter bonding , maybe let her pick out some recipes to cook together. These all helped my daughter be less of a picky eater and find what she like outside of nuggets, Ramen and pizza and grilled cheese. She’s never hungry in the morning so we’re still working on that but everything helps with dinner and lunch

Um excuse me you are the parent, you buy these things, use common sense. Stop buying them and cook better. If you don’t eat what I cook be hungry.

6 Likes

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 17513 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. M0re Info. https://jobsgalexy249.netlify.app/

Forcing kids to eat what they don’t want, will also force them to have life long battles/struggles with food.
I’d get them involved with shopping for food and processing/ cooking the food. Kids are more willing to try new things when they’ve been involved in the process. Good luck mama.

3 Likes

Start by having pizza, chicken nuggets and ramen but healthier versions. Make a big batch of homemade chicken nuggets and freeze them then you can use them just like store bought frozen nuggets. Don’t do frozen or delivery pizza make homemade pizza and if you make the crust you can add extra ground veggies into the crust or pizza sauce. Buy air dried ramen instead of the normal ramen and buy extra freeze dried peas, corn, green onions.

2 Likes

She could have a sensory disorder. This would explain a sensitivity to textures. Is she also picky about clothing texture, tags, etc?

1 Like

kids.eat.in.color on Instagram is really helpful! she has lots of helpful tips. one is to serve at least one “safe food” at every meal so that they feel comfortable eating something they like. then once they’ve been exposed to the other foods they don’t like after awhile they’ll feel more comfortable trying new things! and try not to pressure her :heart:

1 Like

Make different pizzas with healthy fresh veggies, air fry the chicken nuggets (or make your own fresh ones) and blend supplements or veggies into the ketchup or whatever sauce she eats with. Give her ramen with eggs, veggies, and protein. Change up the foods she WILL eat with healthier ingredients.

To those saying that she won’t starve and will eventually cave, please don’t do this. It can cause a lot of mental health issues surrounding food when she gets older. I straight up would not eat meat when I was a young kid. Didn’t matter how many times I got my ass beat or went hungry.

Focus on working WITH her and not against her. Fed is best doesn’t just apply to babies.

Lastly, it’s very possible that this is due to a sensory disorder and you should have her evaluated. There’s nothing wrong with using the tools you have to make her life easier and overall better.

My daughter was like that for years. Until she was 11 or 12. Now she’s 13 and tries a lot more foods bc she sees friends eating different things. She’s more active now in sports and she eats pretty healthy now, but I don’t keep any junk in my house really. Healthy snacks n she eats them. But girl I struggled for years w this too. :woman_facepalming: definitely a mistake on my part. Lesson learned bc I have a toddler now n he eats anything and everything lol :laughing:

Patience it’ll happen. My 10 year old is just now starting to open up. It wasn’t til age 7 she would eat burgers or chicken.

Allergies, depression are also reasons

1 Like

I have the same issue with my 11 year old daughter (autistic) and my 4 year old son (NT). It makes me crazy and worry so much. I cant even get them to take any vitamins :slightly_frowning_face: I have always been a rather picky eater myself, but still tried to introduce a big variety of things to them, hasn’t worked yet. Sorry I have no advice, but I do completely understand the frustration and worry of it all.

1 Like

Make the junk she likes undesirable. Put something in it that makes it taste disgusting. When you make a meal, ask her to take two bites of each thing then she can be excused. If she can have milk then make sure she has a glass with her meal so she’s getting some nutrients from that. No kool-aid, soda or even juice. Work your way up to three bites of each thing and so on. If she eats her whole plate then ask if she’d like dessert. Then make something fun and nutritious like smoothie pops. Make them together so she can pick out the ingredients. And when she complains about dinner being gross, ask her what’s gross about it? Maybe it’s just onion texture or a spice that you don’t find over bearing but she does. Maybe just changing your recipe a little. My son was a texture eater. Some textures would make him gag. He hated meatloaf… come to find out, it was the little pieces of onion. So at first I just made it without onion but then the rest of the family noticed. So I used the side of the grater that makes everything mush and there was no more onion but still had onion flavor. Problem solved. It’s one of his favorite meals and still is but he’s 18 now and got over the texture thing around the age of 13. He still isn’t a big fan of tomato texture but he tolerates it. When it’s overwhelming he just picks them out.

2 Likes

Healthier versions of what she enjoys and try to add in fruits and veggies as an option for each meal.

2 Likes

Adhd kids with sensory issues do this. I would know lol. Therapy and don’t force and everything will be okay.

Stop buying ramen pizza and nuggets. Stop buying the “junk” that she eats. She will get hungry and she will eat. You can also ask her to help you make dinner and let her choose like give her three options to choose from for sides or something like that

11 Likes

Let her pick out some frozen meals she likes. When i turned 10,i started getting picky. Wanted pasta all the time. Got into Stouffers alfredo,Marie Calendar meals,etc. Smart Ones r good too and have burgers and ice cream and stuff. I think my mom appreciated she didnt have to cook anymore. Lol. Just make sure stock up on fruits and good snacks…protein bars and stuff…as well. Give flinstones vitamins on side. I got to where drank more flavored waters and juices at that age as well. Sweet tea or Propel water ,zero sugar sodas,and zero sugar powerade and gatorades were my go to. Helped me lose a lot of weight cutting out sugar intake.

1 Like

I have 4 kids 6,7,9,17 and they all do not like same foods so I try cook what everyone likes but it can be very challenging sometimes

Sometimes kids go through picky stages give it time

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 19884 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. M0re Info. https://jobsgalexy276.netlify.app/

1 Like

Do you cook her a second meal? STOP.

4 Likes

She can only eat what you buy
.and theres healthy alternatives for those things. What’s she eat at school…I’ve noticed alot of kids are picky at home but will try all sorts of stuff at school…

3 Likes

Stop buying it, or buy in moderation to start with so she can still replace 1 or 2 meals with that. She can either eat what you make, or she can make herself a sandwich or cereal. Half the problem is probably enabling the behavior

1 Like

Well…when my son was 4, I made a stir fry. With everything he would eat normally. This one time he decided to be picky with it. Picked out all the veggies. Told him if hee didnt eat them now, he wont get anything else until he eats them. So what I did, I saved his veggies. Bed time came, he wanted his snack, I told him what it was, he passed. Went to bed with no snack. Morning came, he wanted breakfast, told him what it was, he passed. He made it all the way till lunch with no food or snacks before he finally said “mum, if I eat those veggies, can I have some real food after?” :joy: needless to say, he’s not picky anymore and willing to try ANYTHING at least once.

8 Likes

Change what’s in the fridge. Don’t buy that stuff and make sure what you do buy is easy to prepare. That’s the kicker.
Buy stuff like those fruit bars and nutragrain bars. Granola and yogurt is pretty yummy. Basically fill the house with other stuff and just stick to it

4 Likes

Some people have eating disorders which ARE different from being a picky eater. Speak with a physician if there is any question about what is occurring.

1 Like

I had my kids help me make a monthly menu: breakfast, lunch &dinner meals &they took turns deciding what meals they wanted. Every two days after they were going to be eating something the others wanted. I didn’t have the money to make three different things all of the time nor did I like to feed them a lot if processed foods such as chicken nuggets, pizza &etc, and with all of this being said the issue is usually being a enabling parent.

3 Likes

Kids Eat in Color will help with picky eating

I use to think 4 year old was a picky eater until I realized I’m just giving up too fast in letting him try new things cause he loves to give me a fuss with tasting new things until I started taking his favorite things away and I use to be making separate dishes for him and got tired of that cause I refuse to be doing that for years ( but that’s just me🙃)

Eat what’s on table or go to bed hungry

1 Like

Make the things she will eat from scratch and get her involved :heart: It may help. Let her ask you about cooking other things and maybe work into teaching her eggs, potatoes, basic things like that

I’ve always made my daughter eat what I make🤷🏻‍♀️ the only thing she doesn’t like is plain rice. I always have a protein, vegetable and either pasta/rice/mashed potatoes. So if she doesn’t like one thing then she has 2 other options on the plate. She’s 4 and I’m more picky than she is lol

1 Like

It’s not an eating problem it’s a feeding problem!

3 Likes

Have you always tried to make a point of feeding healthy or are you only realizing now? None of the blame around food can be put on her, especially if you’re expecting her to start liking foods she’s not been used to for a decade xx

1 Like

:raised_hand: stop!!! Don’t shop them isles. Your in charge of the money and what comes in the house. If it isn’t there she can’t eat it. She will give in and eat a orange or a sandwich before she starving to death. You just have to be strong and listen to her for a moment until she get used to the changes you make.

Well, in complete honesty and transparency, get the boundaries laid out and stick to them, she shouldn’t be making the decisions about what/how she eats at this age. It’s tricky b/c we don’t want them to develop eating disorders, so there’s that. How long has this been going on? Is it a new thing? Trust me when I say, this is definitely a battle you want to pick, but you have to be willing to stand strong and follow through. Like Stacy said above, if it isn’t there, she can’t eat it.

Maybe as a parent stop buying Ramen pizza and Nuggets :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

You are her mother and you must set the rules. Give her choices… say we can have corn, green beans or salad for vegetable tonight … which one, same with meat and fruit and then make her eat it. She will have a heart attack in her twenties if not changed. Talk to her Doctor

As that former picky 10 year old, some things were 100% texture. I to this day cannot eat oatmeal or mashed potatoes because of the consistency. Or applesauce.

Try and encourage her to help you cook. If she is part of the meal making, she will likely be more willing to eat what she had made. You can make Ramen noodles with actual veggies in them. You can put veggies on the pizza. Or even make it home made with extra veggies in the pizza sauce.

2 Likes

Does she have sensory issues? If I don’t have my son’s safe foods, he would starve himself.

5 Likes

I started my kid D’s with lots of veggies and lean meat
Chicken nuggets was homemade lemon chicken ,pizza was usually homemade
Go to ther house now, brussel sprouts and broccoli are like staples to them. My grands eat what is put in front of them
Pizza rolls are not a dinner
They are a movie snack. You have to change

Tell her once you are done with all the nuggets,pizza and ramen in the house you aren’t going to buy it anymore since you’re starting a healthier lifestyle and pizza or ramen will be a treat for only once in awhile. Good luck,she won’t like it but in a long run you’re doing yourself and her a favor by making better food choices and be healthier.

1 Like

I struggle with this with my 12yr old daughter. She never used to be picky but now she actually drives me crazy with her eating habits.

Make healthy pizza and nuggets

1 Like

Stop buying these things only for an occasional meal. Make healthy meals. Have fruit around for snacks. She will eventually eat. Don’t give in.

I didn’t buy pizza, nuggets or ramen. I have a bowl of fresh fruit sitting on the table, Apples, grapes, bananas, pears and oranges. Cookies were homemade with real butter, oatmeal, nuts semisweet chocolate… Neighborhood kids were always coming over. Carrot stixs, apple slices, celery stix with peanut butter. Don’t force them to finish, but keep a mental track of what they are eating. Make sure it’s balanced. Deviled eggs, beef jerky, chicken legs, thighs, and or wings. Pizza you can make your own and healther. Heck make homemade chicken nuggest, cut up chicken breasts, dip in egg batter. Fry in olive oil or bake.

2 Likes

Don’t buy it, buy fruits and veggies and leave carrot sticks and healthy munchies in a container.

She can only eat what you buy…

I get not wanting to focus on weight however she need to learn now before bad habits become harder to break . I have been overweight my whole life , when my dad passed at 7 years old I was allowed to eat alot of sugar stuff . I at 56 am just now learning how to let sugar go due to health issues, sure wish I had developed better habits of coping and eating . Your daughter physical health is as important as her mental health. Be honest and help her find better choices. I recommend letting her pick our and try one or two things a week , if she doesn’t like them keep trying till she finds something. Give her the knowledge so she will have the power. Teach her to grow food and cook it .

1 Like

I wonder if it would make a difference if you let her be part of the process by allowing her to choose a recipe she’d be willing to try that you approve of and maybe she could even help you make it. My kids are much younger, but they tend to be more keen on trying new things when they’re involved in the process in some way.

You do the groceries??? Don’t buy the crap choices… simple.

1 Like

Try some pasta, spaghetti Bolognese, veggies, mashed potatoes
Stick to whole foods such as meat, veggies, rice
Avoid all processed food’s
Last tip
Don’t give into her demands
If she won’t eat what’s put in front of her
Give her a sandwich and nothing else

Trust me if you don’t nip it in the bud now
She will get worse

Add veggies to the weekly family pizza night, don’t buy ramen or nuggets. Chicken breast is cheap and easy to bake