How can I get my potty trained son to stop taking his clothes off when he potties?

Teach him how to dress himself. My 3 year old can completely undress and dress himself. Next time he does it don’t help him put them back on let him do it himself. He might cry just calm him down and talk ok him through how to do it.

3 Likes

It’s a phase. For now maybe work on helping teach him to get his clothes back on by himself. That way you don’t have to worry if he is still doing it when school starts.

3 Likes

Lol he will grow out of it. My son stopped once he was in school

1 Like

Normal 🤦 just be glad his going to the toilet

3 Likes

Welp…my husband is 33 & still gets basically naked to poop lmao…so im not sure they “grow out of it” :joy::joy:

My son is 7 & still does this. He knows how to dress himself, so if it helps him to poop, I’m not gonna fuss about it as lo.g as he puts his clothes back on. Pick your battles, mama. :slightly_smiling_face:

Your pants would fall off too if you’re feet were dangling lol just teach him how to put them back on.

2 Likes

Lol my kids father still does this :rofl::rofl: i can always tell if he beat me home and had to use the bathroom cuz id always find a trail of clothing leading to bathroom he only does it home tho so maybe try explaining that to him

My 36 yo SO does this lol. I’d just work on teaching him to put them back on and warn the school :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

This is pretty common. Tell them to put them back on when finished. He should be able to dress himself. Talk him thru it if needed. Guide him the first couple times.

36 years old should know better

1 Like

It’s totally normal! I actually know of a few adults that will not poop unless they are naked!

My Son is about to turn 5. He has not had a poo at nursery/school/anywhere public since he was 15months. He only poo’s at home and literally strips naked to do so! :woman_facepalming:t3::rofl:

Lol all the boys in my house do this even my man. Ages 37, 18, and 10. I think its just a boy thing

Except it he will outgrow it

My baby brother did this and he did it till he was 7 or 8. My parents tried everything but he did it at his own pace. Good luck

My daughter has a friend that is 27 and has to strip butt naked when she goes to the bathroom. I asked her why she does that and she just said shes always been that way.

I think it’s a boy thing, bc both my son’s do the same exact thing. My oldest is 22y and maybe he’s stopped idk 🤷 but he used to do this at school too when he was little :rofl: good luck! And if you figure something out let us know :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I suggest start small. Tell him to keep his pants on one leg. This way he can still sit as he wants on the toilet. Give him praise. Let him get comfy doing that. Next step keep the underwear on both legs. Same thing. Lots of praise for the small victories. Or some incentive. Next the pants. Hope whatever you try it works out! :two_hearts:

Sometimes it can be a sensory issue. My two older boys are on the spectrum and they both do this when they poo But they don’t do it at school they save it for home :rofl: