How can I get my toddler to sleep in his own bed?

Hi there. I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on how to get a three-year-old boy to sleep in their own bed. I just switched my three-year-old son from a crib to a toddler bed, and I just need some tips on how to keep him in bed and how to help him get to sleep on his own. He’s always slept great in his crib on his own

3 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my toddler to sleep in his own bed? - Mamas Uncut

It’s a process, he needs time to adjust to the changes. He felt secure in a crib and I’m sure he feels exposed and possibly scared but all it needs is time

Let him
Come in to the room and give him a pillow and blanket to lay on the floor by the bed. He might be afraid and will be comforted by you being close; this worked well with my daughter

Mine slept with me for a long time. He would fall asleep in my bed, I would carry him to his bed. He would usually end up back with me before the night was out. He eventually started sleeping through the night in his own bed and then eventually he world start there instead of my bed. I didn’t rush him. It was a smooth transition. It just took time.

1 Like

My daughter did this at age 2, shes now 4 and a bit and she wont sleep in her bed I have a matress on the floor in our bedroom

Be consistent and keep putting him back saying no thank you it’s bed time.

Time… That’s the key!
Give him n extra pillow to hold and make the bed lekker warm and cozy.

Give them time to adjust. In the mean time fully toddler proof the room so they are safe.

I spray my perfume on my kids blankets and pillows since and spray my husband cologne on whatever stuffed toy they wish to sleep with. Something I’ve done since each were born. They have a night light they both love. Each has a special blanket that is used at nap time and then bedtime. When they wake up at night and come to my room we keep a pallet ready for them. At first I would climb in their with them more than once I fell asleep with them but it helped them feel more comfortable with it. If they do snuggle up with me in my bed I wait til they are sound asleep and put them in their own.

Consistently put him back in bed until he goes to sleep. Don’t give in. #SuperNanny

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my toddler to sleep in his own bed? - Mamas Uncut

Put up a baby gait and let him do his thing…I tuck mine in and she puts herself to sleep… I just transitioned my 2 year old and that worked best.

I have no help for you, but If you figure it out let me know. My daughter is almost 9 and still would rather sleep with me. My poor husband ends up on the couch!:joy:

Just sleep trained my 3 year old.

Mine has a bed next to mine, I lay with him for a bit then I will get into my bed and reach over to keep a finger on his arm, then I fall asleep and he falls asleep. Around 5:30-6 he crawls into my bed…

Mine does this but we downsized from a king to a queen so instead of fighting it i just make a little bed with a few pillows and blankets right next to my bed and she just comes in at night lays down and goes back to sleep.

Let him go to sleep where he’s comfortable and move him to his bed after or lay in it with him until he goes to sleep (not always possible admittedly, I am pregnant and can’t get up and down out of my toddler’s beds rn :joy:) eventually he’ll get used to it and it won’t be so difficult to get him to just lay down and go to bed.

I did this when my son was 2 and 4 months, he coped really well, did amazing, no getting out, still goes all the way through the night, now 2 and 7 months. I had night protector. But recently sorted out his room, and he now has a lava lamp.