How can I get my toddler to stay in his room at night?

Baby gate in front of the door.

1 Like

Baby gates and patience. It’s a stage and it will pass. A little chamomile tea may help as well.

What I am going to say you won’t like but we did this and it worked we put a latch hook on the outside of the door and locked her in until she understood she couldn’t leave her room. She was a sleep walker and still is at 55 years of age.

2 Likes

How about an old fashioned paddling?

1 Like

Normal toddler, people complain about every little thing.

When we bought our home we were excited first time buyers without having children on our minds AT ALL. Now I realize that not only were we dumb because we bought the first house we saw and it became a money pit, we also didn’t see the setup being more for teenagers/adult, not babies/toddlers. Our master is on the main floor and our children’s rooms are up opened faced stairs with an open faced walkway that overlooks our living room and one room is all of the way across the house. In short our home is really scary to raise tiny babies in. We put our daughter in the room above our’s. Later on when we transitioned her right before having our son we put a screen door and two latches (a small hook latch and a chain latch) on it on our daughters doorframe. I just keep her door open at night so it helps to hear her besides the baby monitor. The latches are loud and I’m a very light sleeper as is so I’d like to think that if someone ever tried to get in there at night And I somehow didn’t wake up to their presence I would hear both latches and the door being swung open. The small latch is especially so she can’t reach through easily and unlatch it. The chain latch is for when I’m in there with our baby son and he likes to try to escape so I can just reach through and latch/unlatch it easily and not have to worry about him getting out of the door unsupervised. Baby gates to my kids are an insult I think lol. We had to put actual heavy wooden swing gates that you buy from Home Depot on the landings of our stairs and back deck with padlocks so they couldn’t push them over/disassemble them.

1 Like

Baby gates, baby proof your house, fridge locks.

2 Likes

He’s 3, not 13 :tipping_hand_woman: let him come to your bed. They grow so fast.

4 Likes

Put a baby gate his bedroom door and definitely put a baby gate on the kitchen door. Safety catches on cabinet doors and the fridge. Last thing you want is your kid getting under the sink and eating/drinking something he shouldn’t. How you haven’t baby proofed already is baffling :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Sometimes I forget how small my baby is. She’s 3 and after the whole shooting. I’d let my kids sleep on my bed anyday. My daughters literally in My bed rn. She don’t come often but I take advantage But the kids know about no food in My room. Just make their room feel extra special lights tv whatever he’ll get there eventually :heart:

1 Like

Baby gate his bedroom door

It is a stage that passes I have a 3 and 2 year old boy that just stopped doing this climbing up into cupboards to get their milk powder and wake up with it all through my bed and room also sugar all over the place. I tried safety latches and that was a fail they destroyed them I stopped it by being consistent with putting them back in their bed you just have to have a few late nights they get bored of it. Had the same with my first 2 girls as well. Terrible twos, attention for me three and everything on the floor four :joy: kids will literally keep you on your feet 24/7

1 Like

He’s 3!! Put a baby gate on the kitchen, I’d advise against locking him in, if there is a fire in the house how would anyone get to him if his door is locked? If he keeps coming in, just keep putting him back & staying with him until he settles… eventually he will stop… it’s a part of parenting!! He’s still a baby at 3 years old!!

3 Likes

He’s 3!! Put a baby gate on the kitchen, I’d advise against locking him in, if there is a fire in the house how would anyone get to him if his door is locked? If he keeps coming in, just keep putting him back & staying with him until he settles… eventually he will stop… it’s a part of parenting!! He’s still a baby at 3 years old!!

There are door knob covers that you can get. Older kids and adults could open it, but not toddlers. Just put that on the inside door knob.

They will outgrow it before you know it there out on there own. Just keeping taking the toddler back to there room

Baby gate on the kitchen.

First of all, he’s freaking 3 years old. I have a 3 year old boy. Put a baby monitor in his room, and put a lock on the outside of the door for at night. He will be safe and secure, where you can still see and hear him through the monitor, without the stress of dealing with him ripping through the house at night.

3 Likes

one put a Lock on the kitchen Door. and keep Putting him Back In his bed . he is 3!

6 Likes

Make sure he has a full belly before bed ???
My kids did the same thing.
It sounds like he keeps getting out of bed bc he’s hungry and he keeps coming to you bc you’re his Mother, or the one who feeds him. Don’t mistaken his hunger for bad behaviors or not listening when you’re tired and prob asleep which is understandable but you signed up for this.
Don’t worry, it won’t last for long but if you wanna make sure he is fulfilled so you can get a restful nights sleep, try giving him alittle more food or some healthy snacks before bedtime. Kids do grow fast and are use to being fed every 2-3 hours, and as they grow, so does their food intake. Keep growing together! :100::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Baby gate the kitchen. Baby lock the fridge at night and cupboards

3 Likes

Also give a snack at bedtime before he settles down

2 Likes

My middle child is 41 and still has not slept through the night. lol when he was two I had to get up and supervise him. I also tied bells on every door in the house in case he decided to help himself in stead of coming to wake me up first. Eventually he was old enough to be left on his own, with appropriate snacks and activities and I started feeling like less than a zombie, but you have my sympathy

1 Like

In my old house I put motion sensors outside my girls bedroom door (they were all three toddlers at the same time and did things like this). Basically they could only go to the bathroom or to my room without setting off motion alarms in my house. It kept them safe and alerted me when they were trying to get into things in the middle of the night.

1 Like

I put one of those safety balls on the door knob inside my daughters room. I woke up one morning to paint all over my house and in my bed.

Put up a gate at his room and the kitchen to block him from going in

1 Like

Locks on all appliances he could get into, and a baby gate in front of the bedroom door.

1 Like

Door knob covers 100%

Put a gate in front of his door so he cannot come out of his bedroom at night.

2 Likes

Put a baby gate up outside his door and the entry to the kitchen. You can also put a lock on the fridge and cabinets for now.

He just turned 3! He’s a baby still. But a baby gate up or find a way to lock the fridge. He will grow out of it. I miss my baby being 3 and coming into my room. :cry:

1 Like

Why would u remove items from his room? Hes 3. Hes learning. A baby gate sounds like a good idea. Either on his doorway or the kitchens.

2 Likes

Put a child proof handle on his door

When I close my refrigerator the freezer pops open so I got this little device. It works great

1 Like

Why not put a lock on your bedroom where can’t get in when he wakes up take him back to his room if you want or we always woke up with both our kids in our bed or both in the same bed they are little and want to be close

1 Like

Put an alarm on his door. The second he opens it up It will give him quite a scare , and will be loud enough to wake you up too.

3 Likes

Why haven’t you got a baby gate on a 3 year olds door :grimacing: I’d be so paranoid for him to have free roam like what if he does the stairs whilst tired and slips if your in a house or he tries the front door etc :tired_face:

5 Likes

Ps if your knives, medicine cupboard or cleaning cupboard is in reach I’d try move around what cupboards they are in if you don’t want cupboard locks. Your definitely going to need a fridge lock to x

2 Likes

Um. Latch the door with a door knob cover…

3 Likes

A three year old can climb over a baby gate maybe some kind of contraption keep him from getting out of his bed

1 Like

Tall baby gate outside his bedroom door and child proof latches on the door nobs and the fridge handle

3 Likes

You can’t lock a child in their bed or their room. Get something that lets you know he’s up and redirect him to bed. Persistency and consistency is the key. And it’s not something that changes over night or even in a week. It takes time.

5 Likes

My sons bedroom door was at the top of a very steep flight of stairs. We had a hook and eye latch on the door. If he woke he could cry for us or play with his toys, usually the latter.

They make kid proof doorknob covers, cabinet latches, fridge latches and gates just for this reason? Check out on Amazon.

1 Like

Put an alarm on his door and be strict about it. Redirect him to his room and tell him it is bed time do not get up.

Why did you not hear your child get up?
Do you take sleeping medication, or are you having a few drinks before bed?

3 Likes

He’s being a child and your being a mother.

Lock the fridge… Put a tall gate on in his door that he could see through but he knows that he needs to stay in his room while he goes to bed at night unless he’s sick of throwing up his bed is just fine.

1 Like

Baby monater.tall baby gate

Rig a bullhorn @ his door

Baby proof everything, get a baby monitor, take him back to bed everytime he gets up

1 Like

Omg lol :rofl::rofl: I feel for u tho, honestly there’s not much we can do but jus keep putting them back to bed , I ended up letting my 3 year old sleep with me in bed now he sleeps all night . It’s something they will literally eventually grow out of :sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

2 Likes

Lock him in but you must have video cameras

Put a baby gate at his bedroom door.

Lock the door he will get the message

Get child safe locks on ur fridge & cupboards :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Get a baby proof door handle for his room and put a video camera in there