How can I get my toddler to stop angry biting?

I have a 3 year old and lately he’s been biting as a way of getting out his anger. And No matter what I do it doesn’t stop him from doing it. Any advice on how to make him stop would be helpful. Thanks in advanceeee

31 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my toddler to stop angry biting? - Mamas Uncut

Some people gonna get on here and say bite him back, please do not bite your child back. It’s a stage so there’s other ways to overcome it. Be calm and firm, ask them to express their feelings in phrases, offers alternatives, and redirect 

7 Likes

My siblings did it… my mom bit them back enough for them to get a reaction and they quit. You could also cry and seem sad and if they might learn that way.

1 Like

Bite him back. They have no idea it hurts till it’s done to them. My whole family have done the same to their kids and never had an issue. Same for pinching and pulling hair. They need to learn it hurts

8 Likes

My toddler was doing this a lot, he has ADHD and sensory processing disorder. It takes A LOT of patience and redirecting. When my son would do it we would say nicely but firmly teeth are made for eating not biting. We had to cut out any cartoons that had physical contact as a way of dealing with anger or overwhelming emotions as well, consistency is key. :heart:

2 Likes

So I would say redirect him maybe get him one of the anxiety biting necklaces. My two older children (20&17) use the chewing necklaces as an anxiety coping mechanism in some situations and they are sturdy and pretty effective. I got them right on Amazon. At least it will stop him from biting people.

2 Likes

Bite him back, if he does it again smack his mouth

6 Likes

He won’t understand biting hurts until he’s been bitten. It really is common sense.
Try all the advise and see what works.

7 Likes

I’m in the bite back group. I didn’t stop biting as a kid until I got bit.

8 Likes

Give him a lip bite every time he does it

2 Likes

redirect them to bite a toy. there are special chew toys you can buy.

2 Likes

When he bites say owe loudly and remove your attention from him completely, mean actions don’t get attention. If he continues put him in his play pen or confined safe space away from you for a few moments to reinforce that being mean loses attention.

3 Likes

Bite him back!! I’m telling ya! That will stop that nonsense real quick lol

3 Likes

Bite the little semen demon back :joy:

Bite him back !!! And ask him if he likes it .
It really works ( of course if he it’s not suffering from any kind of mental illness)

1 Like

Redirect him to not bite people etc and get something he can bite if it’s his way of being able to self sooth his anger redirect him to healthy ways he can still express his feelings without hurting anyone or anything x

It is a small person with big feelings, they don’t understand how to express. So be a horrible person and bite them back. That will teach them the correct response to anger is more anger. Eventually if you are lucky, you can graduate to punching one another. If you want to raise a reasonable person you will help him redirect his anger in to words he can express.

7 Likes

Ah yes, the biting stage, I remember those days lol.

My daughter did the same thing to me I would calmly but firmly say please don’t do that that hurts mama and then move her head and talk to her about the emotions and feeling letting her know it’s okay to be angry or sad, or happy or irritated or frustrated ect. And just teach how to appropriately express those feeling with out using aggression and she stopped within a couple of days

1 Like

My daughter was a terrible biter. She’s going on 8, and will still occasionally use biting when she’s angry.

You put your mouth on their arm and just shut your mouth enough to let them feel it and say see it hurts

My daughter did this, I tried everything, what finally stopped her was when I made her bite herself. It took 2 weeks, but she finally learned that it hurt,but it did work.

4 Likes

Bite him back and make it hurt. If you do this each time he bites, he will stop. He will associate biting with pain

4 Likes

I was lucky. My kids weren’t biters. But I had a friend whose little girl bit her once. She grabbed her little girl’s finger and closed her teeth down just hard enough to leave tooth impressions, but not hurt her. She showed her the tooth impressions and said, “See? Ouchie! We don’t bite!” That’s when her little girl clouded up and rained. Not because she was hurt, but because she had hurt her mother. My friend gathered her little girl in her arms and rocked her and soothed her. The little girl never bit again.

Bite back then teach them

3 Likes

My daughter did the same and eventually we bit her back and she never did it again… Sadly these days people frown on this and we would now be horrible abusive parents…fast forward to her now she’s 13 and a great kid and it hasn’t damaged her lol

Alert this is long…lol… but I agree with this. Redirect the child and give them something they are allowed to bite on. Children bite for different reason. Sometimes its for attention even negative attention is better than none and they learn that super early so when your child bites always check on the hurt person first. Comfort them and apologize for the child biting them. Maybe get a band aid or ice pack. Then go to the child get down on their level and tell them very sternly that teeth are not for bitting and that you don’t like it. Give them something to bit on and Redirect the child to doing something else. You can also choose to put the child in a time out but make them sit right with you it works better than making them sit alone. They won’t feel like you don’t love them because of thier behavior or that you don’t want them near you. This is great for teaching empathy as well. Never make them apologize its just words and they wont mean it or understand it anyway. You modeling it they will pick up on it better. I had a bitter who bit everyone when she got upset. I tried everything and It didn’t work but we still continued to do it and she eventually stopped biting when she could talk. It took her a little while as we didn’t know she needed tubes. Once she got the tubes she could hear and her speech picked up and she stopped biting. Which leads me to another reason children bite. They don’t have the languages to tell people how the feel and to leave them alone. To teach that Play with the child and when they get upset, help them recognize what was making them angry. Ex. He took your toy and tou didnt like like that, did you? tell them to tell the other person I don’t like it it makes me angry. Please don’t bite the baby back. You biting and telling them not to bite is old school stuff, babies brains dont have that kind of logic. Model the behavior you want to see in your children. Biting unfortunately a normal part of development and I know it doesn’t feel like it now but one day it’ll stop and you’ll joke about how they used everyone as chew toy. Also one last thing if the child bites someone put the child down immediately and tell them teeth are not for biting and you don’t like it. Give them their chew toy and Redirect them or sit them in time out. Whatever you choose consistency is key. you got this momma! ( also there are great books on not bitting. We loved Teeth are not for bitting)

3 Likes

Go to bar supply and get a sm jar of bitters(there’s no alcohol in it). When they bite,put some on their tongue. If you bite them back,you might catch a case w CPS .

That’s to old to be biting. I hope you find answers. Your child should be in preschool by next year(if not now). There was a 4 year old kid that bit my son twice and got kicked out. Maybe talk to a doctor

Kr’Sahndra Gonzalez this child is said close to 4 years old. That’s a noo no

Funny story, I lost my top teeth due to an accident, my daughter age 3 was a terrible biter, one day we were at my mom and dads house and my son came to me crying. My daughter had bitten him really hard . My dad was there and had been working on something and had a pair of pliers in his hand , he showed them to her and said , you know why your momma doesn’t have teeth she would not stop biting, so we had to pull all her teeth out. She look at them, and then him and finally at me. I said yes they did. My daughter never bite anyone again. Now before you say, anything bad, she was papa’s baby, he loved her and she knew she was his world, he never spanked her and he never raised his voice to her. But she never bit again.

4 Likes

I learned often young kids do it because they lack emotional ability to express their anger. They may not have words yet. You need to say, I know you are angry, but instead, of biting, do this (punch a pillow or something) give them a place to go and language to express what made them angry. Always talk it out. Be consistent. I worked in a daycare, had 26 toddlers 18mo to 2.5 yrs. Once they started biting, it was like it was a contagion. We obv “couldn’t bite them back” but they were teaching each other these bad habits. We had these plastic play houses inside for winter. We had to get rid of any We couldn’t see inside they were quick & sneaky and we had a few bigger toddlers that picked on the younger & smaller kids. We couldn’t really put anything nasty in their mouth. We just had to consistently redirect, tell them biting is not OK, discuss what to do when upset. No real time outs either other than removing biting child from area and putting them away from others. Sometimes we made them sit at the kid table with one caregiver. But if we were short staffed, legally that was not possible to always remove the kid from others. Eventually as we continued to address it consistently & did what we could, removing child biting, discussing with the child how to be angry without biting, and as some of the kids moved up age wise, it started to happen less. As a nanny, when one of the kids started biting, I would get to their level, reinforce biting was not OK, and put them in time out immediately or redirect asap. I never bit them back or used nasty tasting stuff. The parents tried a few natural things like vinegar and some OTC product to deter thumb sucking, but they didn’t work. What did finally work after a few wks was just continually reinforcement of time out, taking away fav activity and telling them biting was not ok. Giving then place and space to address anger. Kid was over 3 almost 4 and bit younger sibling mostly or me or parents. My mom ran a home daycare too while I was growing up so we dealt with a lot of biters over the years, just consistant reminders, and remove child, time out or remove privileges were really only recourse we had. One of the kids came to us as 6 yr old, didn’t talk much, early 90s I’m assuming was on the spectrum but that was before people really knew what that way. So we found even with him, consistant teaching it is not ok to bite, remove kid from situation, etc… it is hard work but eventually they quit. It is a phase yea, but for safety of others, it needs addressed. Give them place & space and words to express anger just not biting.

i just remind my son what teeth are for. he has a lot of chewy things he can choose to bite also, and every now and then when he gets over stimulated he will try bite, but as soon as i say no teeth he stops.

I bite mine back. His father already had and our son stopped biting him. Then one-day he bite me so hard he draw blood. I bite him back. That has been 3 months ago and he hasn’t bite me since.

2 Likes

It has been so exciting since I started investing with Mrs Lisa Jennifer the best in terms of trading . Because what other managers can’t do, she does it better and she always keep to her words. At first when I wanted to invest with her I was so afraid, but I never knew I was close to my success.God Bless you Mrs Lisa Jennifer for being a blessing to me. Contact her with her profile…via link
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

Bite back they wont like just like u don’t like it.

4 Likes

If I enjoy this privilege all alone it shows how ungrateful I’m because I got this opportunity from a post here as well and saw recommendations too.All thanks to the good work of Mrs Lisa Jennifer i
Follow this Name to message her on facebook.
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

Honesty it’s that age seriously I think especially when you have more then one kids like siblings do this :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_facepalming:t3: and it’s hard to handle my kids only a fee time each but enought to drive you crazy because they know better my sons pre k made a cool down chart with like sections green yellow orange red and a sheet or faces smiley Sade ect had it in the fridge and every time they get upset ect you take them to the chart where it has a Velcro stickers so you can grab the face that shows their feeling to put on where they are stupid good way to change direction and teach emotions kids at this age aren’t very good at expressing emotions yet
Still learning healthy ways so you give them a sheet of options first they take a special cool down breath with like a ballon ect and oic a new activity the more you use the thermometer the better they get at using it and it really did help a lot !! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Trading with the right platform is the best, ever since the day I came across Mrs lisa jennifer I’ve never had an issue of delay with my payout, I’ve made successful withdrawal, I thank God for a good account manager like Mrs lisa jennifer my financial life has taken a new shape. You can contact her via Facebook name for better trading and live your life like a dream come true…you contact her with the name below
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:https://www.facebook.com/Lisa.jennifer86

Back in the day, we we’re backhanded and paddled for being evil little sh*ts. People learn from pain, and yours is ready to learn.

5 Likes

Give. her. a. Mild. dose of her. Own!!! then. Say. How. Do. You. Like. It??
It’s. Tit. For. Tat I. know. !
and. may. get. CYS . to. Look. Your. Way. But straight. Forward

2 Likes

I saw a granny.who was babysitting years ago and the child kept biting her and others The last straw was that he bit her on the hip and drew blood She caught his hand and gave him a small bite and he never bit anyone again She told him that he would always be bitten back when he hurt others

5 Likes

in Last month i have received $ 20852 by doing work on my mobile. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 19638 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibllity with this ls endless.

Hop Over This>> https://profound-cucurucho-66f67f.netlify.app/

Have you tried giving him something else to bite? Like a teething toy, or a stuffed animal, or a pillow? If it’s a way to get his anger out he might not be able to help it. Sometimes redirecting him is a really good safe option.

1 Like

I don’t get how biting a child back is showing them that it’s wrong? That’s like saying ‘it’s OK for me too do but not you’ showing them that it’s OK to bite :woman_facepalming:t2:

Mine all were biters they don’t do it anymore they eventually grow outta it alot of crying alot of screaming alot of biting till the nice age of 3.1/2

Lol all my kids evolved from biters to full out screamers over a fucken cheese string enjoy its a fun life :woozy_face:

There are teething chew toys/necklaces online not very expensive.

Bite back. That will stop it !

6 Likes

Unfortunately the ONLY thing I found that works is biting back. I believe they don’t realize it hurts until they feel it.
My daughter drew blood biting me so hard. I bit her back and she never bit again.

7 Likes

So while I understand biting back how are is communication skills? We saw this at the day care sometimes when children can’t communicate it would occur

He’s most likely biting for attention. Even though it’s negative attention. He doesn’t know the difference. Remove him from who he’s biting and sit him down. Tell him “no biting”. When he does good things. Positive attention. Bad things. No attention. Kids thrive on attention.

Biting back is child abuse just a FYI. One person sees bite marks on your child and they would be calling CAS. There are many devices out there. Sometimes its a sensory thing and they don’t have much control. Please don’t bite your child. See your doctor for help

5 Likes

I have to say bite him back. The best learned lessons are learned the hard way.

6 Likes

I used powder allum. It is a bitter spice used to cook. Very bitter. Just a tiny dab on your finger. Try it yourself 1st so you know because it’s disgusting. Then if they bite, they know what’s coming if they do it again.

When my almost 3 year old bites in frustration usually it’s because her teeth hurt, i give her ibuprofen and then things get better.

2 Likes

My mom bit my brother back and he never did it again but that was 20 something years ago

3 Likes

Bite him back gently!

3 Likes

Maybe get a chewing necklace? They have them for older children. It could very likely be a sensory thing. Maybe schedule an apt with his Ped

1 Like

Bite him back! And never ever give him his way when he does it!

3 Likes

My girls went through a biting phase. At 3 they can understand that hurts, try to talk to them calmly. Try not to react too much when it happens, if you make a face or scream it can encourage the behavior bc they like the reaction. You could catch her not biting and praise her, tell her you like how she’s playing without biting, maybe give her a treat. Ignore the bad behavior, positive reinforcement for not biting.

2 Likes

Use emoji faces and teach him to express and identify his feelings when he does not yet have the vocabulary to express himself. A bad taste in his mouth can also be done with cocoa powder or other bitter food safe options. Check with pediatrician. Biting back is abuse.

2 Likes

I had to bite my son when he was little to get hm to stop. He didn’t realize how it hurt until I bit hm. He never bit another child.

1 Like

My mother in law’s dr. told her to bite him back.

2 Likes

Have you tried biting him back? That’s what my mom did to me and according to her I didn’t bite again.

2 Likes

Bite him back and hopefully that’ll stop him my ex and his twin brother had this problem when they were little that’s how their dad handled it and it never happened again. Mine and my ex son bit me one time on the back and his dad bit him and he never bit anyone again

3 Likes

He might need yo feel more in control. I have two toddlers boys and learned this with both. Give him a “job” act like its super important. Things like rinsing his cup when done or folding a couple rags. Sounds super weird but that and reading watching kids books about being angry and calming down my oldest stopped and with my youngest we started the hob and everytime i saw him getting angry/frustrated i would redirect him to doing his job.

2 Likes

Bite a Bar of soap slightly…

2 Likes

All these people saying bite him back shouldn’t be procreating.

3 Likes

Do NOT bite back.

Three year molars are coming in, it’s painful, can cause headaches, earaches, jaw aches, belly aches.

My 3 year old grandson will ask for a washcloth run under hot water & will chew on it after taking Tylenol or Motrin.

You have to tell him no biting, to let you know if his mouth hurts & you will help him get something to make it better.

Rarely do children that young know to “hurt someone” they just know they hurt & can’t express it properly.

2 Likes

Bite him back . My granddaughter was biting her brother so bad that his shirt stuck to the dried blood when we took it off at night. He bit her back once and she never did it again

To the people that say we shouldn’t tell her to have them bite back ? Nonsense! We tried everything to make her stop biting her brother. It went on for months. Every night we would take his shift off for a bath he would have dried blood and scabs. She wasn’t teething. She knew it made him cry. We tried everything the drs and books say to do. Finally we told him to bite her back. He didn’t bite her hard. She didn’t bleed, but she never bit again. When she cried we told her that’s why brother cries. It hurts

2 Likes

Maybe firmly tell him no biting people and give him a pillow or washcloth or something soft to bite when he’s mad

Find out what’s making him angry?

well my daddy and mama bite us back not hard but to let them know it hurts

Is he having communication issues? My daughter is autistic and would bite if she was very overwhelmed or upset because she couldn’t communicate what she wanted/needed/ feelings etc. I could tell when she was coming at me to bite so I would just gently hold my hands to her shoulders so she couldn’t get at me to bite. Could also be 3 year molars. Try to get him to explain his feelings if he doesn’t have communication issues, try to figure out why he feels the need to bite and figure out a safer was to get his frustrations out. My daughter loves her magnetic drawing board so if she’s getting upset I pass her that to scribble out her anger.

1 Like

I bit all of mine back. :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: