How can I get my toddler to stop biting?

How can I get my 16 month old to stop biting?

8 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my toddler to stop biting?

bite him back :woman_shrugging:t4::rofl::rofl: worked with my oldest. only had to do it once & it nipped him.

15 Likes

Bite him back. That’s what I did with my 3 kids. And .my daughter has done it with her 5 kids

6 Likes

Bite back not hard just enough that they will stop .done with all 3 of my kids girls

3 Likes

You have to find out why your child us biting, typically lack of communication and/or unable to control their behavior when mad.
Children have zero impulse control and cannot control their behaviors. They need to be taught the proper way to communicate- so when mad or frustrated, you validate the feeling and teach proper techniques to regulate emotions.
Children need to be taught how to regulate their emotions.

Communication- sign language is great. We taught my son signs for help, eat, more, milk. And that eliminated some frustrations.

Child might need space from peers, so validating the feeling and just saying it looks like you want space you can play over here .
Or when your friend is done with the toy you can have your turn.

Have to model and teach children. They are not born knowing how to navigate a world not designed for them.

It depends on the kid…I have 4 kids…the first 3rd and 4th when they started to bit i bite them back and that was that but ohhhh no not my second I tried biting him back but he just looked at me like I lost my mind and went about his business biting him back just didnt work he thought it was a game even when I tried biting a bit harder…I just removed him from the biting situation stuck his nuk in his mouth and moved on…he got passed that phase in about 2-3 mos. Hes 15 he doesnt bit anymore :wink:

3 Likes

Offer them something to bite and explain that when they bite people it hurts but they can always ask for something to bite.

I’am making over $130 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 17204 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://AmazingJobs769.pages.dev/

Bite him back so he’ll know how it feels. That’s the most effective way that I’ve seen.

5 Likes

Bite him and explain to him that it hurts and it’s not okay and that he’s a good baby and good babies do not bite

2 Likes

If you are into gentle parenting, I’d recommend joining a gentle parenting group here on Facebook for some more helpful advice. For now, I’d try to figure out why your LO is biting. What is he trying to communicate - does his teeth/mouth hurt? Is it sensory seeking? Is he upset and can’t communicate that? etc

I don’t personally agree with the “bite him back” comments. At 16 months old, your child is not developmentally able to understand WHY you are biting him back other than you are just hurting him.

2 Likes

Bite him back , ask him if he likes it and explain to him that nobody likes it

1 Like

Bite them back…. Literally the only way… and anyone saying that it’s just gonna hurt him, well that’s kind of the point he needs to understand what he’s doing is inflicting pain on somebody else and that’s not cool… 

3 Likes

I bit them back. It worked until they went to daycare and was getting bit there…started biting again. Then when our bonus children came to live with us. 1 was biting alot(leaving huge bruises everywhere) so it started AGAIN lol its a vicious cycle.

1 Like

I have 3…i would bite them back…they are 21-20-17 worked on all of them!

2 Likes

There’s only two ways …

I bit mine back. Not hard enough to really hurt them, but hard enough that they could tell it would hurt. Only had to do it a couple of times to each of my kids and they stopped

I tapped mine on the mouth and told her no we don’t bite.

1 Like

My daughter just turned two mid June and she’s a biter too ! To the point where she draws blood from her siblings. Not when she’s mad or anything but just walks up and takes a chunk ! We’ve tried telling her it hurts, it’s not nice, it’s bad, giving her things to bite, time outs, biting back. Nothing. In fact, I bit her back and she looks at me, wipes her arm and goes " you BITE me !! " and tried to punch me in the face. Her brother is a gentle giant and he let’s her to do it. Only thing that seems to work for a day is a time out where she doesn’t get to play and she watches her siblings play without her. But I haven’t found anything long term yet…

Some Carolina reaper should do the trick.

Ready-set-go. Get your fingers ready to attack: bite him back. Not hard enough to hurt but enough for him to feel.

There’s 2 ways to deal with this. You can either bite back or you can be dramatic when they bite you (fake screaming, crying, acting like it really hurts). They usually don’t mean to hurt you so it will get their attention that they hurt you. Both methods worked for me.

1 Like

Bite em back. They need to understand that it hurts.

2 Likes

Communicate properly and not out of anger or frustration and make them bite an onion or bite them back. The pain or the taste makes them stop.

2 Likes

Bite them back.

It doesn’t have to be hard - just pressure enough to catch their attention.

This teaches them respect for others and empathy - “don’t do it to me if you don’t like it.”

I’ve got multiple younger siblings, nieces/nephews: it works like a charm.

Bite em back…show them it hurts

It’s a phase usually. My son did that. It stopped lol

I bite mine back, they never bit again.

Try and intervene before they do it or if they start to bite get there arm and push it away from there mouth and say no we don’t bite it’s not nice ask why they biting and if they cant say try distracting them:)

I never bit back like most people are saying but I did pop mine in the mouth. Not hard, just enough to get their attention. Or spanked when they bit anyone else. I was also overly dramatic when they bit me so they knew it hurt. Eventually they just stop. You just need to teach them biting hurts and to only bite or chew on their teething toys.

2 Likes

Bite them back. Works every time. They don’t understand that it is painful with words

10 Likes

Bite them back. I did it one time and he never did it again.

1 Like

We all just got a good pop to the mouth if we bit someone, and our kids did too! The biting didn’t last long with that tactic, that’s for sure :wink:

Bite back but not really hard just enough to let them know it hurts and u don’t like it then they wont bite back again done to all 3 of my girls. My mom did it and I did it.

No no no biting back,she’s biting out of frustration,find the reason she’s biting

2 Likes

Biting them back worked for both of mine. Not too hard, of course.

4 Likes

Bite em back. Show em it hurts

1 Like

I’m old school…I bit mine back . I’m sure someone is going to tell me I’m a bad parent and it taught them nothing but I disagree. Better I bit them back than another child bit them without the control I used. They only bit me once

31 Likes

Bite back, not too hard, just enough for them to learn that it hurts. It has to be right away. Or you can lightly flick their mouth all you are looking for is a negative reaction from them. When they cry say no biting or if you bite them say see it hurts when you bite no biting.

We just kept saying owe and no no. That hurts. Kid stopped.

The best thing I’ve found is to get them a chew necklace and lots of ice pops/frozen fruit, chew toys

My daughter used to bite a lot as a toddler, I had several teething toys for her in various shapes & sizes. Some as necklaces. Not all kids are the same, be patient with them and remember its our job as parents to fulfill their needs & guide them towards the correct behaviours/actions

1 Like

What I did is made the child bite themselves to see how it feels. Never bit again.

11 Likes

I know you may say I was wrong but I had a bitter. He actual would break the other child’s skin. After softly taping his mouth and repeatedly saying no, I bit him back. Not hard but enough to sting a little. He stop biting when I let the child gently bite him back.

Honestly, my oldest bit me when she was little. She never bit anyone else. My friend kept telling me to bite her back. I was horrified! I couldn’t bite my child! I tried everything. Finally, I lightly bit her back, not enough to harm her, but she gave me a shocked look, and never bit anyone again! You obviously don’t bite hard or break the skin. Just a little pressure so it hurts a little.

Bite them back. When they learn that it hurts, they stop doing it to others.

4 Likes

Before everyone starts ringing in that biting them back is abuse and blah blah blah.

Both of my girls are biters. Especially when my 10nyear old was younger. Everyone told me to bite her back and I refused. Then when she started to do it to the kids at her daycare and she was almost kicked out, i let her bite me one time and then i bit her back with the same force. She never bit me or anyone else again.

Now my current two year old started biting and i bit her back and she stopped for a very long time, but recentlt she has started love biting for attention and jealousy over her 10 year old sister. So this one ill have to handle a bit different.

I said all of that just to say, look at the content in which they are biting. Are they biting for attention or something else and handle it accordingly.

7 Likes

Going back some years doctor told me to bite him back (to scare him) he never bit again. Only reason I asked dr was because he bit his sister hard broke the skin so I took her to the dr.

3 Likes

This gets hate but facts are facts. Kids don’t understand biting hurts until they e been bit. Bite back and say that hurts. You don’t have to do it hard. Words mean nothing to a toddler. Actions do.

2 Likes

Bite back. Lol worked for all of mine

1 Like

My sister would put a drop of hot sauce in her child’s mouth when they bit. Stopped it fairly quickly!

Give them cold teething rings to chew on.

1 Like

Bite her back. They’ll learn.

I got a book about biting that we read everyday.

My oldest tried everything nothing worked well he always bit my arm so I rubbed vinger on my arm one day he stopped after a few times he hated vinger lol :rofl:

Bite em back. It is not abuse they will learn that it hurts and they won’t do it anymore.

Bite him back and say see biting hurts!!

Bite back to show it hurts

Bite them back. They will stop because they know how it feels now.

Just here for the bite back comment’s

Hot sauce works if they bite just put a little on there tongue and a few times they will quit I promise

5 Likes

Children generally bite bc they don’t have the words to communicate their needs, wants, or frustration. Work on teaching them those skills, please don’t bite them back. It literally teaches them nothing.

8 Likes

I tried everything to get mine to quit biting and I do mean everything The only thing that cured it was her first week of daycare another child bit her hard enough to draw blood she never bit again

One thing you definitely shouldn’t be doing, is taking advice from parents who act like literal children that bite and hit people back.

Maybe he’s a vampire? My ex husband told my son he’s a vampire :thinking:

1 Like

Give them a warning and then spank them, if that doesn’t work. Grandma

The pediatrician told us to bite her back it only took one time and she didn’t bite anymore.

Bite back stopped my kids

Well I know that a lot of people will say am wrong but bite them back, my daughter when she was small was a terrible biter she was 2 years old I didn’t want to smack her but she continued doing it it was random so I got fed up and when she did again I bit her back she never did it again …

If a child hasn’t been bitten they don’t know it hurts. A gentle nip or getting them to bite their hand worked for both my girls.