How can I get my toddler to stop running off?

My three-year-old son likes to run off on me. Every chance he gets, I will call for him to come back, and he won’t. He will actually turn around a wave goodbye to me. Or just laugh. I’m a single mother, and we live in a caravan park. He is constantly running away from me, and I’m finding myself having to chase him down and carry him back home while he will scream at me and carry on.

47 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my toddler to stop running off? - Mamas Uncut

I have a 3 year old, 2 year old, & pregnant with #3. Both of my toddlers are runners & wear the backpack leashes when we go out & there aren’t buggies/shopping carts or a stroller for them to ride in.

2 Likes

Leash till he decides to behave

4 Likes

Okay I started telling my 2 and a half year old to put her hands on the car ! Or to hold onto something for me. If not I’m chasing my kid constantly. Distractions are the only way!

1 Like

Definitely a toddler leash.

3 Likes

I started telling mine that we won’t go outside at all if they were just going to run off on me. Put a backpack leash on them for when you go out.

5 Likes

I put a sticker of my sons fav character on the side of my car and made him put his hand on it… practiced at home and when in public i wld just say spiderman and hell put his hand on spiderman and stand and look at it. He has adhd so ive had issues with him running off as well. Keeping them distracted while safe is best way ive found that helped.

2 Likes

They make these wrist bands that connect to you and your child . It’s like a leash just around your wrist .

1 Like

Get one of those kids backpack with leash. My son had the Dino one and loved it. Helped keep him near me everytime we were outside the vehicle.

2 Likes

My mom has to get one for my niece when she was a toddler. My mom has two bad knees and my niece was always running off. Especially in parking lots.
She had the hyperactivity bad. And my mom couldn’t get to her in time. The leash worked like a charm they come in cute little back packs

Some old biddy said something to her once and she responded with “i have two bad knees and I’m not going to have her get hit by a car”

2 Likes

It’s just a phase mom …
Mines tell me bye too, when I tell her come she runs off and laughs …enjoy these little moments.

1 Like

Backpack toddler Leash from Walmart $13

1 Like

This would call for a Spanking in my book…

12 Likes

He’s a happy child, but a timeout would be sufficient

1 Like

Girl my son is the same way! And he waves goodbye too! lmao :joy::joy:

Give em a spank. Talk about how that’s not safe, and that if he runs away someone else could take him from his mommy. And he won’t see you again. I have a four year old and he would get his tail kicked if he did that, I’ve always been strict about him being by me in public, I straight tell him that there is bad ppl out there that will take him from me. :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

Leashes. Also never too young to learn about stranger danger…

5 Likes

Don’t chase him. It’s a game.

6 Likes

Have a few people around to help watch him… in a safe area and let him.run off and everyone hide but where they can see him… and let him freak out thinking he is alone and lost… it might scare him enough so that he will be to scared to leave your side…my other alternative no one on here would like and you cant do it anymore… because i was raised in the south you either listened or got your butt whooped…even as a toddler… my mom… did both of these to me… she hid in a clothing rack at the store and i thought she left me.

Walking buddy backpack :school_satchel:
The ones with buckels and a leash

5 Likes

Honestly, a leash backpack. Had to do it with my daughter as she is a runner.

4 Likes

Gali Velazquez :thinking: run in the opposite direction screaming the cucuy is going to get him!? Lol :laughing:

7 Likes

I had a wrist leash for my wild child. Had a monkey harness leash for my grandson

I have a child with autism she get the stroller or the harness

2 Likes

I start counting and he knows there will be consequences when i get to 3. Everyone with these leashes :woman_facepalming: to each their own but my child is not a dog. Kids need a constant reminder of whos boss and what respect is.

9 Likes

Spank his damn ass. And make it hurt.

My four year old and 3 year old does that. I take them in and put them on the couch and tell them they are not to get off the couch. Thats why i never took my kids out cuz i got tired of running after them. So now we have a fence in our yard now i sit and make sure they stay in the fence to play.

1 Like

Ok… here’s a couple things.
First, a little running off is pretty normal but if he’s consistently doing so…I would definitely speak with his doctor…
Honestly my oldest was like that…he ended up being diagnosed with adhd and autism.
For the mean time I would definitely start using either a harness leash thing or the wrist leash thing.
I’ve used them for both my kiddos.
Trust me it helps a ton.

Absolutely don’t chase him. I know that safety is a huge concern, but he’s likely to run into the street while “playing” instead…

1. Give an incentive to walk/stay with you. For example (like a token system)
  2. Give a consequence when he does not. A swat may be what you need to do to get his immediate attention and compliance (that’s the only time I spank my kids)
4 Likes

Better spank him or he’ll just continue to run you over.

14 Likes

I never used a leash but my kids were almost always strapped into a small foldable stroller outdoors unless we were playing in a fenced area. For shopping, I grabbed a cart from the parking lot to strap them into and pushed them inside in the cart.

2 Likes

Always make sure you follow through and they listen the first time with everything. No counting to three, no letting them listen when they want etc… this will lay a good foundation. Other than that, if your kiddo doesn’t come the very first time you ask you take away obvious consequences like going inside (no more being outside) or going in the shopping cart instead of walking on their own etc…

3 Likes

Swat him on his bottom

8 Likes

I tell my toddler “bye” and wave back then start turning like I’m leaving. Runs back to me everytime and stops tantrums in public places like nothing else. But I definitely would recommend a toddler leash as well

3 Likes

Backpack harness is what I had to do with my youngest she was fast as hell too.

2 Likes

I would seriously do a kid leash. Lol

3 Likes

Bust his butt then a harness. Lived in Germany 3 years and they all use them

My twin boys used to do this in the grocery store and it was so embarrassing, even though they came back. Finally I decided to hide from them while they were gone+then followed the sound of crying. That pretty much took care of the problem. Your situation sounds frightening, but try not to react as he may be doing it partly to get a reaction.

1 Like

He is bored and that game is FUN

3 Likes

It sounds like the child is the adult. Single mom has nothing to do with the child’s behavior. Adult mom is what is needed. A good swat on the butt when you catch him, he will know you mean it.

Ok I will be the one to ask. I must be totally dumb . What in the heck is a caravan park? You mean like a trailer park or a place where there is campers like an RV park?

My oldest was this way. Had the stranger danger talk and it helped telling him that creepy people are real even in a very small SD town. And I may have made it a little exaggerated for where I live but he definitely did not want to be molested and murdered at the age of 4. I didn’t get super detailed but enough to make him uneasy physically and mentally. (We did live next to a rehab facility that had lots of runaways and lots of theft and threats to do harm to others and themselves). He changed really quickly when I explained that people are not all nice and that not everyone has the mind that most other people have. And also had to explain how PTSD, drugs and alcohol, ect make people change and can make very bad decisions about their actions even if they don’t really want to conversation as well. But it did work. Sometimes you just need to be very honest and hope it works

1 Like

Spank his ass everytime he does it ! Or have a friend snatch him up and scare the shit out of him ! They both should work!

I always used a harness with leash for all of mine. It works great

I solved this problem with one of those leash backpacks. After just a couple times of falling on their butts because they went too far or simply not liking to be restricted, they were “trained” enough to know to listen or the backpack goes back on. I also have a technique where I hold the child’s hand and then hook my pinky and ring fingers around their wrist. Again, uncomfortable for the child, so they stay next to me if I let go.

1 Like

Wristband leashes. I used them and loved them. My daughter did too. Gave her just enough space fo feel independent

1 Like

Strap him in stroller or leash and say it’s because he cannot stay close.

now that you know he does this, a harness is the answer. So one day you aren’t burying him

4 Likes

Ugh yes i hate when he does me that way too

Why people laugh react. I would love to know as well I have tried going for long walks to see if that’s what he wants nothing works my lil one has no fear (I’m also a single mom)!

4 Likes

Get a shock collar works good

6 Likes

Yea, my two year old does the same thing. She thinks it’s a game :neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face:

1 Like

I taught my girls red light, green light game

3 Likes

Trip him…trip him every…single time

14 Likes

I cut a switch when my daughter ran from me and when I got to her I gave her a little of the switch ever step back home she never ran again she was 4 and now she is 42 she still remembers

10 Likes

Spank his bottom all the way home

7 Likes

Backpack leash. 100%

I have arthritis in my knees, it’s a lifesaver!!!

2 Likes

My 5 year old will just walk away. Completely nonchalant just go and keep walking.
I have a wrist leash. He hates it but it works

1 Like

My son had some issues and I stopped a policeman one day and had him explain how dangerous that can be

1 Like

A little tap on the back side works wonders.

8 Likes

Backpack harness!! I used a monkey one with my daughter when she was about a year old. Walking around the city it was a great use! Kept her from running off on me, or from her running into the street or anyone trying to take her! Very, very useful!

wooden spoon, one good tap is all it takes

10 Likes

I use these ones my 3 year kid runs and he still doesn’t understand what can happen if he runs without looking…

1 Like

Get a child leash. My begged so hard not use the leash, we didn’t have the problem, they started running, but when I started digging in the diaper bag (and fussing) they stopped, turned around and came back. I had one that ran out of the yard, I threatened to put up a clothes line and hook him to it. He still ran, but eventually it stopped. Stay strong. Unfortunately we don’t live in a world that is kind to our littles that get out of our sight.

Don’t chase him!!! It’s a game to him. I would tell my kids when we were out stay with me or go in the cart/stroller. If they ran off I’d continue going while keeping an eye on them. They come after me. I’d grab them & put them in the stroller. No toys, no attention. Ppl would yell at me for letting them cry. Ignore those ppl too. You are giving your kid a consequence for their behavior. Key is consistency.

2 Likes

Whoop his ass good!! solved

Backpack leash. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Tell him the boogie man is going to get him if he doesn’t stay close to you.

2 Likes

My daughter was the same! :confounded: We used reins… Then when she got a bit older we played the stop go game

He needs some pops, this is a life or death matter, he could easily be run over. If you can teach him to mind you AT home, then you won’t have problems OUT of your home.
Kids will do what you allow them to.

10 Likes

Pop his hands and explain y you did it,

2 Likes

My puppy does this all the time and he’s a big labradoodle at seven months and it makes us sooo frustrated! He thinks it’s a big game, jumping at me and running behind trees and bushes :angry::woman_facepalming:t2: but when my kids were smaller and did this I’d just not pay them any mind, say see ya later toots and walk away lol more often than not they’d come barreling back my direction.

I tell my daughter goodbye and I hope she likes her new family… :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Spank that bottom and make him go in a stroller OR A baby harness as I had 3 babies under 3 and I had to get one for my than 3 Year old and 2 year old it’s not chil abuse. It’s called keeping them where they don’t get hurt

5 Likes

It starts early. They have to know you are serious. When I was pregnant with my first. I was walking into a store. A lady with baby in cart and her young son ran past her, laughing. She’s yelling to stop. He ran right in front of a car. I decided, right then, my kids would never say from me. Had 3 in 5 years. Wasn’t easy, but they didn’t run from me

2 Likes

Put him on a leash… … a harness leash… and NO that is NOT child abuse . its a safety issue.

5 Likes

I count to three with my 3 year old. If I get to 3 he gets a pop on the butt. After a few times of getting popped he will do what he is told or asked. Only randomly will I have to pop him usually on his days where he thinks he’s the boss again. He is my 3rd child and it worked with all of them. If you decide to do it you must be consistent or it will not work. He will attempt to call your bluff

1 Like

I give a count down. If mine isn’t back by 1 he gets spanked. He only did it twice but he still plays with me till one taking his time come back

2 Likes

Take him inside and say we will not go outside because you run. Keep him inside. When he gets sick if it (and you, too), explain "we will go outside, if you run away from me, we WILL, go back inside. Then do, it. If he runs drag his little butt back inside. Inside time gets longer and longer, until he begins to realize why HE can’t go outside. Do not give in, until he learns or he wins. Calmly explain why.

1 Like

I have a 2yr old, he started running off, so our rule now, stay next to mummy or ill have to hold your hand, when he starts to get ahead, I say, ok you’re not listening and staying by mummy, so now I have to hold your hand, and he protestes, so I say last chance, stay next to mummy or you’ll have to hold my hand or we will leave woth nothing, hes nearly 3 now and all I need to do is remind him to stay near mummy or ill have to hold your hand, and he stops and does what he’s told.

1 Like

Toddler leash. Take control your the one in charge not him

2 Likes

The little monkey backpack with the tail leash. I put my kid on it because he kept running off into the road it’s better to have people look at you stupid then it is to have your kid run over

Leash him🤷🏼‍♀️
I did with both of my now teens when they were that age. Some times you just gotta do it for your sanity and the kids safety :wink:

1 Like

Has he had a spanking? Sometimes that’s all it takes to get their attention.

2 Likes

I told my son, in age appropriate terms, that if he ran off that there are bad people who will take him, hurt him and he will never see his family again. Now at 8 almost 9, with autism and impulsive type ADHD he doesn’t run off and will freak out if I make a joke about letting him stay in the car while I go in somewhere (I never actually would). Also get a kid leash.

I’m in the same boat. I’ve seriously thought about a fence around my front yard.

#1 rule always is do not chase. The moment you run after them it’s a damn game.
Also lieing to them, someone Bovs mentioned the boogie man… scaring them into compliance is totally okay lol
Positive or negative reinforcement, which ever you prefer or which ever works. Hell do both.

Before you go out, tell him: if you run off from me, “the consequence” is going to happen. Tell him, its your choice. Run from me, you choose to stay indoors for example.
If he runs, you better make sure the consequence happens.
Always, if you give a consequence, see that you follow through. If you do this when he is young, he will know when he is older that you mean it.
Be consistent.

8 Likes

This is what I told judgey people. If my kid has the backpack leash on and is safe and sound then I know she’s not squashed by a car or kidnapped.

3 Likes

Get a harness for him

Now my 4 yr old I found telling her if she holds my hand I can’t wander works. She starts being naughty, I say oh no mommy is wandering off again and she runs to grab my hand to keep me from wandering off and getting lost.

6 Likes

Honestly some may not agree but get a backpack harness for him 💁

8 Likes

Old people in these comments love suggesting spanking :joy:

1 Like

Wal-Mart sells leads. I used them for my runner lol

3 Likes

Get a child harness…they come in puppy’s, monkeys :monkey:.

3 Likes

I saw something on tiktok and thought it was hilarious tried it on my kids and it works :joy: tell them that the oil stains that are left in the road are children who didt hold their mommy’s hands while crossing the street and that’s what happens when they run off now my child will point out the stains in the road and say look mommy that kid didn’t hold his mommy’s hands :joy::joy:

9 Likes

Try a harness with a leash. This is a safety issue.

4 Likes

My daughter did this for a short time we established if she didn’t listen we would go inside. I had to stick to it every time. And eventually she got the idea that she couldn’t keep doing it.

1 Like

I had to have a harness for all my kids and I didn’t care who like it because they are my children and I want them.Thats more important than caring about what some judgmental a**hole thinks.Saftey first and now my youngest who will be 2 next month is using one to.I have 5 between 1 almost 2 -23.

3 Likes

Put the kid on a leash like an animal or whoop it’s butt… your choice :woman_shrugging:t2: