How can I get my twins to stop pulling hair?

I have boy/boy twins who are 15 months old, and they both have started pulling hair recently…hard. I was wondering what you all have done to get them to stop pulling hair? I’ve tried timeout each time they hit or pull hair, recently I even tried tugging a little on their hair to show them it’s not nice and nothing seems to work! They think it’s a game! I’m at a loss, I can’t even have them play with other kids with how they will go straight for hair!

35 Likes

Pop their hands every time they pull hair and tell them no. I had to with my son and it worked miracles. I don’t pop him hard enough to leave a mark but he understands we don’t pull hair.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my twins to stop pulling hair? - Mamas Uncut

Consistency. Some children just need a little longer to grasp the whole situation. Keep at what you’re doing. My only suggestion would be instead of timeout put then down and leave them to be but clarify they won’t get anything if they can’t be nice

Pull their hair back…make it hurt a little so they understands

10 Likes

Unfortunately most kid’s do this. Try showing them that hair is pretty and that it smells nice. Worked for me. Good luck momma.

1 Like

Hold their hands and just repeat “honey mommy will not allow you to pull hair, it hurts and it is not safe” if it continues say above but “mommy is going to put you down to keep herself safe” and just keep it up. Consistency is key.

4 Likes

My son does the same thing. I end up apologizing to parents and kids when I take him out. When he pulls I make him sit down for 5 mins. Making it longer each time. It seems to have worked… except with my niece.

Doing back isn’t going to work. At their age it is developmentally appropriate. Just startled them each time with a loud “owie! No no no!” And pull them away and set them down and tell them “no pulling hair in a stern voice”. They will catch on soon. But never ever miss a moment to do this. If they do it 22 times a day, do the same routine each time. If they have a toy at the time take what ever they have and set it on the floor and set them down. Even if they get right back up it’s okay (time out is not developmentally appropriate either. They don’t understand it. But stopping them, startling them (to show it hurts) and pulling them away from whatever they are doing is what will work! Consistency and redirection. Never do
It back. You are literally just teaching them it’s okay since mommy or daddy is doing
It. They aren’t old enough to grasp onto “oh it hurts don’t do it!” Their brains are that far developed yet. They are still very egocentric at 15 months and don’t see others feelings as much yet.

5 Likes

Simple; get two bathing caps to put on their heads for a few times while their pulling hair out …repeat till they stop

I had to use a sharp “NO” “you dont pull hair” woth a slap on the hand just enough to make a sound with my son. He was pulling chunks of hair out. I had to be firm with him nothing else worked.

4 Likes

Punishment is not going to work especially at this age. Try disciplining them. TEACH them how to treat people. Pulling their hair, hitting, time out etc teaches them to be mean. They pull your hair, you pull there’s, they pull harder… Teach them “gentle”, by touching them nicely. Praise them for nice touching. 1 time is not going to work. You have to be consistent. You & everyone around them has to react the same way. It could take several weeks. Don’t give up & say it doesn’t work. Keep doing it. Teaching a kid to be good take persistence, patience & love. Not punishment, being mean & angry.

It sounds mean, but pull their hair, harder. A little tug doesn’t do much. I have twin girls, now almost 18, but when they were babies, they liked to pull hair too. I usually kept my hair pulled back or up so that they couldn’t, but when it was down and they pulled it, I pulled theirs. This usually resulted in them crying, but it didn’t take long for them to stop.

“Nice hands”
Show them how to touch each other nicely.
Kids that age don’t respond well when you tell them what “not” to do, you have to tell them what to do, and then distract them with something else.

1 Like

My 22 month old did that for a bit. I tried pulling back, but didn’t want to hurt her, it was never hard enough for her to feel so she didn’t care lol, she eventually stopped on her own

I pulled my sons back just as hard. He hasn’t done it since

1 Like

Show them gentle hands. They’re just exploring the world and are too little to understand cause and effect.

1 Like

Pop their hands and yell NO!!

2 Likes

When my daughter was that age she was a monster. I did the yelling punishing… She did not care and I’m very strict. One day after losing a fist full of hair and just done. I sat on the floor and fake cried “ow my head and hair oh no…” Laid in on thick. She came running to me hair still in hand hugging me and tried to put it back. Had the talk about hurting people blah blah took a little bit but she got the message and stopped that behavior. She’s now 17 and is the most empathetic sweet girl. Sometimes its hit and miss. Keep trying until something clicks. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Yes as cruel as ut is pull there hair back

Sounds like they might need short haircuts,so they can’t pull hair anymore.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I get my twins to stop pulling hair? - Mamas Uncut

I popped my little ones hand each time he done it, and it finally broke him.

1 Like

I had this exact same problem with my identical boys! I tried everything and anything! I finally got fed up and put those mittens that cover the whole hand on them and every time they would try to pull hair (unsuccessful due to the mittens) I’d pull theirs it was a rough week but they both just stopped and I didn’t have the issue again.

4 Likes

Stop “tugging” and give it a real yank.

2 Likes

I pull my son’s hair right back and he stopped when he realized it hurt

Ass whoopings. This kind of shit is the main reason I don’t want kids. Fuck that “gentle approach” bullshit. If you told them no and they did it anyway they have the ass whooping coming. It’s not just about pulling hair and hitting. It is about doing what your parents tell you to do when they tell you to do it.

4 Likes

Pull theirs or swat their hands and look tuff…

15 Likes

Spray bottle?? Like when a catch scratches?? I had a friend that used to do that … but her kids hated water…

2 Likes

Shock collars :rofl: ( calm down, I’m joking)

9 Likes

They are so young and learning still. Just keeping telling them No, ouch, be gentle and move them away. They will learn. Just takes time.

2 Likes

My niece would always pull my daughter’s hair. They were literally 3 weeks apart. Her parents would do anything and my daughter was scared of her. So one day she did it again with several family members watching. I got up and very gently pulled more like tugged her hair. Everyone was stunned. That child never pulled anyone’s hair ever again.

10 Likes

My daughter cut her hair in a pixie cut…. Her son did not know what to do :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My daughter tried pulling hair when she was a toddler. It wasn’t a huge deal but she did it a few times and we pulled hers back. She didn’t like it at all, needless to say her hair pulling phase didn’t last very long.

6 Likes

Make them wear boxing gloves

1 Like

Smack the back of their hands and pull their hair at the same time and sternly say NO in a loud voice.
The pulling of the hair and the hand smack will eventually make a meaning to them that hair pulling is a no no.

4 Likes

Pop their little legs and tell them NO very sternly. (I didn’t say beat the child KAREN, don’t come for me)

2 Likes

My twins did the same. They eventually got so tired of me saying NO to them that they finally gave up. I admit I was about to start pulling my own hair before they gave in. Of course, that was over 50 years ago so my memory may have gone dim. Hang in there Momma, you’re gonna make it!

Fill a spray bottle with water and spray right in their faces.

1 Like

For any unwanted behavior, immediately turn your attention away/ get up and walk away. In this case simply say NO we do not pull hair and walk away for a minute or until the tantrum is done. Use positive feedback when they do good things and are being good. Like yay this is how we sit nice together etc.
I’ve struggled with my 8 year old and having a ton of issues, turning attention away immediately has helped a ton!!!

4 Likes

That’s were the. Unwanted kind of displine methods come in like a snack on the hand and the look. And ignore when they want a treat and say no you want a treat behave if not don’t expect for me to give you they may be little but they will catch on

2 Likes

Tie your hair back so they don’t have hair to pull, they grow out if it eventually, a 15 month old won’t most likely understand if you pull their hair. By simply putting babies down and saying NO firmly, explaining what they are doing wrong should have just about the same effect as time-out. Good luck it is not an easy phase but they will soon learn.

2 Likes

My mom would pull ours to show us what it felt like. Problem solved. She was a very wonderful and loved Mother who lived to be 97.

4 Likes

For my boy/boy twins. We had to cut their hair short. We still have to keep it quite short even at 6 years old lol. At your kids age, its a phase. Redirect them to something else. Tell them no, and put their focus on something else. Eventually they will get tired of it. My boys also used to pull their sisters hair so we separated every single time.

My kid went thru that. Time out doesn’t not work for babies that small. We just kept saying no and being stern. Usually he pulled hair for. Other reasons, not enough attention, wanted to get his way etc. Hang in there mama! It gets better! “The days are long, but the years are short”

12 Likes

Not trying to start an argument but the time out generation hasn’t worked, look around at the world today !!! I agree with Angela

9 Likes

Pull it back to show how it feels. They will stop

7 Likes

Pull their hair back just enough for them to feel it, but not real hard. They will think twice before they do it again.

4 Likes

Stop calling attention to it…if they do it to you…just walk away…you giving them any attention at that time only reinforces them to get another reaction out of you. If they do it to each other…let them deal with it…so long as no toys…etc…are used to fight back. They will eventually get bored with it and move on to another annoying tactic to get your attention. Ahhh…motherhood :grinning:

4 Likes

My boy girl twins used to pull each other’s hair out pretty consistently around the same age. It was a struggle. Honestly I just tried to keep them separated when they were seeming frustrated until this phase ended.

They are too young for time out.
When you do a time out it should be 1 minute per year. ( 4 year old gets 4 minutes)
More than that they can’t handle.

When they pull hair, immediately yelp/fake cry and put them down, walk away.
Kitties crave attention. If you ignore them for a moment they figure it out quickly.

3 Likes

I had twin girls. Whenever they hurt each other I would immediately give the one that was hurt all the attention and turn my back to the other one. Didn’t take them long to figure out that they did not get attention for being bad.

2 Likes

I stopped my son from biting me by biting him right back. He was so surprised and shocked that he never tried again. Sometimes you have to drive home how it hurts so they associate their action with pain. He got the message immediately. He was 12 months old at the time.

1 Like

I had to smack their hands not hard but just enough to get their attention and tell them no pulling hair and show them that it hurts when they do that, it worked on my kids but I know every child is different

1 Like

Pull their hair to let them know how it feels if they won’t stop by you telling them to. Not by pulling it out but just enough that they know, it hurts others too.

3 Likes

They will grow out of it in no time.

2 Likes

Pull their hair till it hurts

2 Likes

Your tactic will depend on what your goal is.
Are you trying to teach empathy, or subordination by any means? aggression and violence? (The idea that its ok to hurt someone if you’re the biggest and have the most power).

I mean, sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do, but be aware of the actual lesson. Sometimes the lesson is, we don’t hurt ppl sometimes the lesson is don’t start nothing, won’t be nothing (I quote will Smith, MIB)

2 Likes

Continue to try different consequences untill you find one that actually gets some sort of reaction from them that you’re looking for and the be consistent. Be sure that you and all care people your children are around are on same page and are not contering your efforts to stop certain behaviors.

u can pull their hair to show them how painful it is

3 Likes

For boy/boy twins, I’d cut their hair too short to pull. By the time it grows out they will have moved on to other attention-getting behavior.

This may be silly but freinds from India told me they shave off their baby’s head three times to keep their hair better at 1 yr old, three yrs+ six yrs old. It helps the hair grow over their soft spot+ as their head gets larger as they grow.

1 Like

I’m a twin. My sis and I fight all the time but I think it is best to let them figure it out

Who is Nameless Network? Are the people real asking questions. Please answer. I’ve asked numerous times!!!

1 Like

Don’t even worry about it- just divert their attention to other things.

1 Like

Pull it back… works every time

1 Like

Shave them both bald. You’ll get your hair back when you stop pulling other peoples :woman_shrugging::joy:

4 Likes

Do they go to daycare?

Give them a “buzz cut”!

3 Likes

Leave your hubby must of learned it from him

5 Likes

Fuck time out. My boys get three chances after that spankings

1 Like

They’ll learn. Someday someone will pop them. Then they will get it.

3 Likes

Take them to the barbershop

1 Like

Just slap their hands. They won’t like it. You don’t have to do it hard. Just hard enough so that they know not to do it again.
If that doesn’t work. Take away something they really love. Tell them they can get it back once they stop pulling hair.

2 Likes

Persistence with correction and aversion is about all you can do at that age

1 Like

Do it back and show them what it’s like

4 Likes

Pull theirs back.
Show them what it feels like.
Just don’t pull it out of their head.

5 Likes

Pulling their hair certainly isn’t going to teach them not to pull hair. Same as hitting them and telling them not to hit. Makes no sense. Try to focus more on praising the behavior you desire.

8 Likes

You pull harder and make them hurt. You have to be rude too. They will eventually get it

7 Likes

Pull your hair back for a bit till the phase is over. Gently tell them no that’s not nice and they’re giving owies, and pretend to cry. Say you hurt mommy when you do that. The pretending to cry does impact.

3 Likes

Cutting their hair is not teaching them not to pull hair…

3 Likes

Mine used to do this and bite so he did wed pull his hair or bite him not hard of course and trust me it taught him to stop

1 Like

Pull theirs back. They get the point afterwards loll

Shave their heads. Hahaha

This too shall pass…

2 Likes

How to lose weight in spending Rs 10 per day. وزن کم کرنے کا طریقہ کو بی صرف 10روپے میں - YouTube plz subscribe

Oh i love these comments true mums right here girls :laughing::two_hearts:

1 Like

Pull harder. They’ll get the message.

5 Likes

Pull their hair back. If they think it’s a game, you’re obviously not pulling hard enough. Smack their hands when you see them do it.

hual off and whomp their asses eventyually they will stop if not well start pulling their hair or shave teh heads completely wanna pull hair well try and do it now

3 Likes

Make them bald…job done

Show em who’s boss!!!

Do it to them and make sure it hurts, my daughter was a biter and hard, she drew blood oneday, i bit her back enough for her to cry out in pain, she never did again, so pull their and make sure it hurts they need to understand it hurts

1 Like

My 18 month old does this to my 2 year old! I have no idea how to break that habit but to give her a lil slap on the hand and say no no. :woman_shrugging:t2: but then again they fight like cats and dogs :woman_facepalming:t2:

You’re not pulling their hair hard enough. You HAVE TO make it HURT to make a solid impression.

3 Likes

Pull theirs each time hard enough to hurt then tell them that hurts the others

2 Likes

At 15 months they won’t understand time outs.
When they pull your hair say, no I won’t let you hurt mummy! In a stern voice, put them down and walk away and repeat…
If it’s to another child, take away from the them and the activities they are doing and explain again, no we do not hurt our friends/ cousins etc

3 Likes

My mom would have pulled their hair to show what it feels like.

5 Likes