How can I handle my childs ADHD?

My now 22 year old son was diagnosed nigh ADHD end of junior high. If you need his/her energy to come way down. Coffee. Like a frappuccino. Coffee caffeine works backwards with my adhd son.

We are going through the exact same thing with our daughter

Lots of outdoor activities

Remove all electronic devices that’s the best thing u can do

1 Like

Punishments don’t work unless it’s something they like. And all kids are different. I have one that HATeS to get in trouble so he almost always does what he is supposed to do. My daughter I have to yell over and over and over sometimes. Although she’s still not bad.

Little boys have a LoT if energy. When is his birthday? My daughter started 2 months after she turned 5 so we had tutoring for reading until she was in 3rd grade. It wasn’t that she couldn’t read but she was so much younger(she won’t be 18 till after the graduates high school). And boys have much more energy than girls. Many boys repeat kindergarten just because their little minds aren’t ready to learn yet. And that second year makes all the difference

Talk to his doctor. There could be behavioral things you can use without medication. But I will just tell you I have a mental illness. It wasn’t diagnosed until I was 34. I understand not wanting to medicate. But try to look at it this way. He likely is suffering in some way because his brain is different than everyone else’s. If he can take meds to help him be the best boy he can be, I say it’s worth it. Educate yourself and talk to his doctor. Make sure you are comfortable with whatever you choose to do.

It’s also possible a couple more years and he will “grow out of it” in a way. And sometimes consistency and exact consequences can make all the difference. I know I have one that I had to take away something special for it to work. And my daughter has always had things she really likes. I threaten to take those away she gets it together.

Also I have one that likes routine. If I don’t let him know what’s going on ahead of time he struggles. But as long as he knows what’s going to happen he’s fine.