How can I help my daughter with ADHD focus on her homework?

I had the question yesterday about my eight years old, not doing all her homework and having problems with her handwriting. I forgot to mention that I ask her if she has homework, but I ALSO sit down to do it with her because she gets easily distracted with other things, so I help her focus on her homework. She just diagnosed with ADHD. Do other moms have any advice like what helped with your kid? Her school actually got her an appointment for a neurological assessment.

8 Likes

I refused the homework. these kids find it so hard to stay on task it actually causes stress. so I keep it to a minimum at home

We use essential oils. Topically and aromatically.

1 Like

Does she like music? I did my homework and studying to certain songs and I could remember everything that way…just as if it were the song lyrics

They have so many programs at schools NOW, that should help her. My grandson receives all kinds of help and he’s 11

I had issues with my son while he was on his medication for ADHD. He became depressed and just wasn’t himself. In exploring other options, I found that taekwondo can be effective in children with ADHD. He has been in taekwondo now for about 6 months, and I have seen a significant change in his ability to focus and his grades have improved. It’s something to explore if you’re looking for an alternative to medication.

3 Likes

Cbd gummies work wonders for my high anxiety 11 yr old. Should give it a go

I also broke it up with 20 minutes on 10 off. It takes a lot longer but that’s exactly the only way it would get done

1 Like

I have two children with adhd. One with inattentive and the other hyperactive. I tried everything under the sun to help them naturally. Occupational therapy works(currently in) but lastly I tried meds. Although society normally shames parents if their kids are on meds. (I’ve had people say I’m lazy and just throwing them on meds… very hurtful but I know what’s best for my children.) My adhd inattention son is on adderall extended release and my hyperactive son is on regular adderall and intuniv for impulse control. It has been night and day! But like myself, I encourage parents such as yourself to try what YOU think is best for your child. I’m in California and I had cbd gummies at first… those worked for about a month and then it stopped. Aba therapy also. We’ve been through the ringer but we’ve finally found a combination of things that work:) Continue advocating for you child. Good luck :heart:

I have to actually sit by my child as she does her homework.

I have had ADD forever, meds helped some, but I didn’t care for the side effects, and haven’t taken them in years. What (would have) helped, and still does, is to break things down into 5-10 minute intervals, or use lots of little incentives. I.e. if I do this much of this assignment, I can have x amount of tv time, or a snack, and then rinse and repeat. Patience is key. I think it frustrates/ed my family because it was hard for them to understand that I could not help losing focus on the task at hand, or how hard it is to make myself sit and focus on a project, and how exhausting the effort to do so can really be.

1 Like

We do a little at a time

I medicated mine and it has helped tremendously . On her first day on meds she sat at the table till it was completely done without me rerouting her back to the table how I used to .and her handwriting changed it was like day and night … Also she doesn’t take all morning getting ready anymore we used to always have to wait for her . Her doctor prescribed Vyvanse…

What a miracle to have my ex back and i need to share this great testimony… I just want to say thanks Dr goko spell caster for taking time to help me cast the spell that brings back my ex lover now my lover who suddenly lost interest in me after six month of engagement,but today we are married and we are more happier than never before, I am really short of words and joyful, and i don’t know how much to my appreciation to you Dr goko spell caster you are a God sent to restore broken relationship.he deeply enjoy helping people achieve their desires, find true love,getting their ex lovers back,stop abusive relationships,find success,attract happiness,find soul mates and more,contact him today. and let him show you the wonders and amazement of his Love Spell System. He deliver results at his best in real spell casting,email him for help on (Dr.gokospellhome12@gmail. com)

It took me a year to put my daughter on meds. I tried everything. She was very depressed and withdrawn. After meds she graduated never making below a 95 in hs. A star softball pitcher. She no longer takes anything. She says the med saved her life. I am against drugs until you have exhausted all natural help. Good luck. Oh the most successful people are ADHD. Reach for the :star: stars!

2 Likes

Do you have a 504 plan? You can get decreased work written into it. If you don’t, get one. Very beneficial! Maybe look into testing to see if she qualifies for an iep?

What helped me in elementary school was my grandma would let me have a snack while I did my homework and after 30 min of homework I would stand up and do some jumping jacks and sit back down we did that over and over. Which usually took me 5 hours to do. As I would sit there and draw on my homework before this. I have adhd add and odd thou so I would get violent for no reason to people as a kid as I didn’t understand I had a anger disorder.

Take a long, hard look at your children’s assignments. You’re welcome to pm me if you want to keep their business private.

My son isnt adhd or anything but he does loose concentration, we have mummy time on his bed where it’s quite and read his book with no distractions. New /different room where it’s peaceful may help

Behavioral therapy is an option. Breaking the homework up can also help. I’ve got 3 of my kids that have ADHD (1 also has Oppositional Defiance Disorder). Keep the kids active. I found that when they were more active and got their energy out it was easier for them to focus on things. Taking a different approach than you might have with other kids also has to happen. Best of luck finding what works for you and her.

I love the ADDitude FB posts. So helpful

My youngest was diagnosed with ADHD and she goes to therapy as well, however she is unmedicated. She has issues with homework, school work, etc her therapist told me with ADHD their brains are constantly going like a never-ending spinning ball. Which leads to becoming overwhelmed, easily distracted and having their senses overloaded. Find something that will help her relax and focus long enough to do her homework. Music, a quiet area where no distractions are, take breaks, do it in segments, etc.

My oldest has ADHD and my biggest challenge was myself-patience is key.I also had to learn that she learns differently and giving breaks was important. She cant do homework as soon as she gets home.When she looses focus, let him/her step away for 5min or so and come back to it

Have her take a lot of breaks during her homework.

Yes my sons has adhd and autism. We had loads problems with homework and getting him to do it. He couldnt get over why he did work at school & home. School was school work home was his time. His senco knocked of all homework as was stressing me out trying to get son to do it, to point he’d flip etc at home. No homework problem solved. One happy kid. If extra work was needed she arranged a teacher to stay after school and do work required of my son when doing gcse’s etc. My sons now 21 with over 10 gcse’s ranging from b-g’s. Four are above c level, 2 btec courses and few nvq’s.
I was to never to expect him to achieve any. But it does go to prove kids can achieve and homework isnt compulsery

My mum used to help with my kids dad (adhd) and another kid, when they would get an answer right or to fidgety they would do a lap around the house and then sit down and do another one and repeat that, it seemed to help

There’s nothing wrong with medication, or trialing medication to see if it helps your child.

Try the medication her doctor should have prescribed. It did wonders for my son. He went from barely passing each grade level to thriving, making A’s and B’s because he could focus better in class to learn the material and get his work done in a timely manner while in class.

And if they wont do an iep ask them for a 504 plan its similar but woth different qualifications that meet different needs I had a similar plan in school i could turn homeowrk in late take spelling test verbally and sit where I needed to so I wouldn’t be as distracted

My son has ADHD and is on medication. I know it’s not for everyone, but it truly helps my son concentrate and stay focused in school. He’s on a small dose. He also takes medication for anxiety. My son is also autistic.

1 Like

Combination of medication and behavior therapy is what helps my daughter. I only give it to her on school days and it’s out of her system by evening. It can be hard to find the right medicine sometimes, but when you do, it really does help.

Does the school have an IEP in place for her? If not, solicit their assistance in getting a further assessment of her needs and get one in place. My son did better when we did things more hands on than sitting in a chair trying to pay attention. Make up games and use cards and education based videos and games.

How about listening to music while doing homework