How can I make my sons second birthday special?

I know this might be a weird topic. I wanted to know what y’all did for your little boy’s second birthday party. With covid going around, we can’t do what we wanted to do this year, which was a bouncy house outside for all of the kids. Not as many people, if any, will be at his party this year. I wanted to make this year more special, but I’m not sure how to. Side note: kids usually don’t play with him anyways because they call him “special,” but last year, I was all over the place and wanted to do more with him this year even if there were lots of people. I felt bad, and people made me out to be a bad mom. On another note, I’m pregnant, so picking him up a lot is a no go for me as I pulled a muscle in my back. Just for clearance, he turns two on the 15th, but his party isn’t until the 20th. TIA

4 Likes

He is going to be 2 he won’t remember it. Honestly until they are 5 or 6 i would not worry about going too big! Anything before that is all for you really! We usually do close friends and family with pizza or a cookout depending on the time of year. And anymore you can buy a small bounce house under $100!

6 Likes

I would get the closest people to you n baby and go out for a dinner

My sons first birthday I expected to much n let my self down

So for his second birthday both his grandmas and aunties gathered up at red Robin’s and had a dinner for my jayce
He’s 2 it’s mainly for the mommy until baby starts to notice more

I’m not sure for his 3rd birthday but in my mind I have family issues so the ones who actually care and not judge me are allowed to dinner

We had family (about 12 people total including ourselves) over for lunch today for my son’s 7th birthday. He loved seeing the family and getting a cake!

He’s 2, anything you do will be special. Spend the day doing all his favorite activity at the house, take a walk, make his favorite meals, have him open his gifts, have cake… that is plenty for him to feel special.

7 Likes

We have learned with our daughters first durring this it’s better to keep it small and save the money. We had so much wasted food and everything and we way overspent and less then 1/4 if our 40 peopled showed up
If it’s still going on I am going to keep her second small and focus on her. Not us or our families. N lots less drama.

Get her her favorite foods, more or a bigger gift. Or just do something fun as a family. We saved the money on other events and are are doing small trips to the indoor water park for the weekend ans we used groupons and other sites for great deals

2 Likes

I take my daughter on trips. I don’t have a big family or a lot of friends so I try to give her experiences.

8 Likes

Set up a obstacles corse/ treasure hunt in the house and yard . Lots of fun treats along the way . Maybe even space his gifts out along the corse so he can open them along tbe way .

1 Like

Have you considered a drive through type party, parade style, with banners and balloons?

Fill a room with balloons and have a fun little dance party :balloon: cake and a gift or two.

1 Like

Decorate the house! We aren’t having a party for our 3yr old but I’m decorating the house in his favorite show decorations. We will have his favorite breakfast, cupcakes, presents and his favorite dinner. This is actually what we do most years for our kids instead of huge parties. We have big parties for 1yr, 5yr, 10yr, 13yr, 16yr and 18yr. We make their day about them. We usually do an outing too like to the movies, a trampoline park, Chuck E Cheese but those are out for us right now. I’m sure whatever you come up with he will love it.

Do the bouncy house anyway and have his Daddy bounce in it with him since you are pregnant. He would love that I’m sure.

We always keep birthdays low key. It’s basically a family day where they choose what we do. We let the kids choose dinner that day, take them out to order a cake a few days before. We do something fun of their choice and of course open presents. Sometimes we decorate the downstairs the night before so when they wake up it’s a surprise. We’ve made great memories this way and their is never the stress of throwing a party. If it weren’t for covid as my older two are a bit older now I would let them invite one friend, but it can wait.

At two he just wants all your attention. Plan a day of fun with him. Make a fort in the living room and have a picnic inside, play some games or watch his favorite movies while you eat some cake or make sundaes.

Due to COVID we did a virtual party for my sons 1st, my baby shower the end of this month, and will end up doing a virtual for my sons 2nd birthday again.

We bake a cake that he gets to “help” with (I have a pretend baking set he uses) I picked up a couple presents and make a dinner I know he will like. I set up a Facebook event and invite everyone about 2-4 weeks in advance (any more than that and people forget, any sooner and presents don’t get sent out)

Of we receive gifts from the Amazon wish list I add to the event I wrap them and he opens them “live” on Facebook event so friends and family can see as well as blowing out the cake and singing happy birthday. Usually takes less that 10 minutes, family and friends are involved, and I don’t have to throw a huge complicated expensive party that nobody shows up to (or they all show up its always either or never in-between LOL)

2 Likes

We just did a small party with grandma. Icecream and brownies.

My husband and I had our son’s 5th birthday this past November just like any normal party we just kept it family kids have been through enough we wanted to keep it as normal as possible and we continue to keep things normal as possible.

Bring him to a indoor trampoline park an let just bounce run an have fun then a little cake an ice cream later with your family

1 Like

My son turned 3 in December and all we did was invite grandparents and aunts/uncles that live close to us over for cake and presents. He had a blast.

1 Like

Make it family oriented. I loved the above movie idea…many people are scaling back on birthdays…if you can create a fun moment he’ll enjoy it will be a win…best of luck and happiest of birthdays to your little one!

We did a simple party at home, got him some balloons and invited grandparents for cake. He had fun.

Our local fire company will do a drive by mini parade. If you don’t have a lot of people that will come to celebrate maybe see if you can get people to do a drive by parade. I just had a friend post on her fb gathering people that were willing to do this for her sons birthday today. Apparently she had a pretty big turn out and her son loved it.
My sons 4th birthday was last May and he wanted to go to the zoo so badly but all the zoos within driving distance (I looked as far as 4 hours away) were closed so I ordered inflatable animals and created a jungle safari in our back yard. It was just my 2 younger kids that went out in the yard looking for the animals but they had a blast. Then we did a special dinner and cake.

I took mine to the fire station to see all the trucks. Then we did a birthday car parade. Then we invited over just 1 friend and his parents to do a pinata, open gifts and have cake.

We asked our neighbors to use sidewalk chalk on a path we walked each day and our daughter flipped. I said oh my gosh that’s for you!! And another!! It was memorable.

4 Likes

The truck thing sounds awesum

I understand… your son may not remember this birthday, but you will and you want some happy memories. I think doing special activities like letting him help you make his birthday cake. Might get messy- but enjoy and have the camera ready. Invite family or a close friend to his special day. Even a picnic at the park with a cake and balloons can be special for a 2 year old. Just take lots of pictures.

2 Likes

Do a movie night type thing and turn your living area into a theater. Let him choose snacks and what to watch.

Or you can usually find little paint kits at the dollar stores and do an arts and crafts night.

3 Likes

I did a little pizza party for my daughter thats what she wanted. 2 pizzas from costco and she picked her cake decoration. I bought the smallest one because i knew she was just excited about the little mermaid toy it came with. Bought some sodas and i only invited my parents and in laws. And she was super happy nothing big.

Small bouncy house that you can set up indoors, balloons, gifts and a lot of fuss over it being their special day.

2 Likes

Fire station sounds like a lot of fun for two year old.

To be honest, he won’t remember 2 lol. Fill your living room with balloons on the floor and have a cake with presents etc. Save the huge parties for 3, 4 and 5.

6 Likes

Don’t do anything he won’t remember it anyway!

3 Likes

Let him pick his favorites all day. Have a zoom party if you can’t have a real one, and give him a few IOU’s for when restrictions in your area are loosened. 2 isn’t a huge deal ( meaning, he won’t remember much about it) so having family time may be safice. Also you can see if family and friends will do a little drive by parade

Get a big box,draw some windows on it with crayon and a cut a door he can open.Tape balloons on the roof lol

1 Like

I am so happy to share this fantastic testimony of myself. My life has completely changed in 48 hours. I can see myself in the mirror and smile For the first time in ages, I have confidence in myself and my abilities. With the help of Dr Marere I have my husband back in my life. He apologized 24 hours after the prayers of Dr Marere . He said he realized that he never really wanted to part, he could not deal with the emotional baggage that I carried around all the time. He said that he thought he was the negative influence on my life and thought it best to leave. He said it was difficult to talk about the past all the time. We both forgive each other. I finally have my own money in my pocket. (My compensation check came in. I was told it would take months, I’m living proof of what Dr. Marere can do, thank you so much, Dr. I never thought a prayer would help a couple I am very happy to have contacted you. Anyone who has a relationship problem Email: marerespells@gmail. Com WhatsApp phone number +2348109805184

Why not get a bounce house just for him and if he has siblings or mom n dad can hang out in there with him. Throw some beach balls in there or balloons. Honestly at that age the more simple the better plus kids love quality time with mom n dad. Get some bubbles and throw blown up balloons around he will love it!

My youngest just turned 7 yesterday and we couldnt do anything because of covid. So what I did was decorate the house with balloons and a happy birthday banner and my mom came over. We did presents, dinner, movies, cupcakes (I made blue ones cuz blue is his favorite) and I ordered an ice cream cake with his favorite lego chef and lego waiter drawn on it. He loved the day even though his best friend couldnt come.

You can rent a bouncy house at home, there’s a website that people will dress up as his favorite character and come to your house. Also you could do like a children’s museum or play house thing and let him run/explore there. Idk what I’m going to do for my littles 3rd bday. It’ll probably be another small party at home and try to do something special for her like a play museum or something.

Drive by party and have a few friends or family over for a movie night do pizza popcorn wings drinks snacks candy.

1 Like

If you have a front yard you can do a front yard balloon display and a drive by car parade

Have family and friends do a drive by with signs/beeping horns/drop off gifts/balloons ??

Last year we did chuck e cheese through… I think door dash, but it might have been grub hub. But they brought pizza and cake and a table cloth and balloons and all sorts of stuff. And then brought in grandma through zoom. My kid really loved it.

Just invite a few close friends and family. Have some of his favorite foods

Confetti cannons are a huge hit at our house! Something small, cheap and it really makes it feel like a party :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: we’ve always done it as soon as they blow out their candles and it’s great. Now the mess on the other hand, isn’t as much fun :joy::joy:

Have the birthday party with the bounce house! Having a small gathering outside is perfectly fine!! Have people wear masks if it makes you feel better.

My sons 2nd birthday was his golden birthday, I got a decoration kit from Amazon, balloons, fancy gift bag, and made one of his favorite meals, and got a bubble machine online! He spent his whole birthday playing with his new toys!

You could do a theme day. If he loves bears for example, do a whole bear day with bear themed books from library, crafts, and bear cartoons/movies, bear scavenger hunt, shaped pancakes, etc!

I’d be concerned that other kids don’t play with and call him special.

Anyways, what does he enjoy doing?

Obviously this was in the summer time. So I decorated my trunk in Minecraft, went to a creek, invited some friends and everyone had a blast!

You can have the bouncy house with just Him and nobody else and who ever lives at your house, my nephew turn two last month’s they had a little party at the home just them and people bought gifts over before his birthday, and they FaceTime people on his birthday through out the day and they would watch him open the gift that they got him, and talk to him for a few minutes but he’s two so he didn’t want to talk too much want to play.

The only birthdays I even did was my kiddos 1st bdays. All bday after my oldest had 3 partys total my 2nd had 2 and my 3rd and 4th ahd just tgere first. For the partys my older 3 are all aroubd the same time so we threw it all together for on big thing I stead of 3 little ones back to back. After ppl just never showing up and us waistinf mo ey to do these i relized that no one would come. So we now do our own family stuff. With covid we luckly can still reserve the bowling alley if we call ahead etc. Other then that we do cake gifts and just party fun at our house for us and a few ppl who come. My kiddos love it so so much and its way less crazy and I dont have to deal with all the clean up and stress of all that stuff. Do like a dance party and have mini games etc like the dollar store and walmart have very cheap party games u can do so much fun stuff it helps that hes 2 as well as u can entertain him with a lot of fun stuff.

You could do a maze out of cardboard boxes and at the end of the maze have a cake and his gifts and decorations. He would be shocked and surprised. Just make it a fun day that’s all about him. Make whatever he wants for breakfast, lunch and dinner. What he picks to eat might surprise you because it could be a little different or weird but he would love it. Honestly before covid no one ever showed up for my daughter’s birthdays. So I’ve always just made the day all about her. Whatever she wants she’ll get within reason. She always loves all of it. She will be 13 years old this year. Kids will appreciate anything you can do for them.