How can I manage my bacterial vaginosis symptoms?

I’m dealing with bacterial vaginosis help would be good, please. So I went on antibiotics which gave me the runs. I preserved through it, though. My symptoms haven’t gone away. I’m itchy from back to front. I keep getting headaches. I have pain in my tummy and lower back. I feel nauseated sometimes; I feel like I’m going to faint or getting head sometimes zaps. Ill have good days other days; I’m bedridden from it, and all I want to do is sleep. It’s worse when I’m active, and it takes me days to recover from exercising. I went in and got ultrasounds done, but I am really over it. Any suggestions would be great or how did you get through this

45 Likes

Before you treat any further, please get a second opinion. Although every health condition is different for each individual, your symptoms are very extreme. I’m concerned that you’re dealing with more than BV. Best wishes to you.

Look into boric acid suppositories. Sounds scary but it does work for majority of people suffering with bv. Also if u have a partner it could be reoccuring if hes giving it back to you

I had BV a lot and antibiotics never worked. I found some threads that suggested using a vaginal vitamin C tablet to stick up there. It sounds crazy but BV can happen due to a more basic pH so the acidity of vitamin C up there can help to lower pH. Look up vitamin C treatment for BV. It can sting a lot but always worked for me after one or two days of using. Also it is suggested to take an oral probiotic. Good luck!

Flagyl which is most likely the antibiotic you were prescribed is most likely the culprit of some of your symptoms… most common side effects of flagyl are yeast infection, Dizziness, headache, stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, and diarrhea. If it’s that severe that it’s interrupting your daily life you should be seen again to make sure you aren’t having some sort of reaction to the antibiotic. Hope you feel better soon.

I too had terrible bacterial vaginitis and was treated with flagyl which made me sick. The long term cure is to get boric acid capsules 600 mg and insert them vaginally daily at first until symptoms resolved and now I use them twice weekly to maintain vaginal Ph and prevents vaginitis. I found this after years of suffering with BV.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I manage my bacterial vaginosis symptoms? - Mamas Uncut

STD? Maybe , wrong diag

2 Likes

For the itch- cocunut oil works wonders! Slather it everywhere!

You can soak in a bath with 1 to 2 cups of Apple cider vinegar for 20 min helps with ph levels getting back to normal

1 Like

Maybe wrong diagnosis. But a probiotic with plain yogurt can help with good bacteria and help fight it off. Especially when taking antibiotics. But definitely consult your doctor or nurse and let them know you still are experiencing symptoms but sometimes the medicine doesn’t help and they have to reevaluate the situation. Best of luck!

Oh my gosh I feel so bad for you!
No offense I hope at all, but did you get checked for all STDs because it really sounds like it could be something other than BV…

I would be going to someone else for a second opinion

3 Likes

Ive never tried it but people that have tried EVERYTHING and couldn’t get it to stop or have chronic BV swear by this stuff…
VeeCleanse

Look into coseva trs spray too detox body orally and topically and fulvic minerals, black garlic pills and coconut oil topically, switch diet to less carbs more fresh fruit until it clears

You might need a stronger antibiotic.

1 Like

Go back to the Dr and get checked again! It could be something else than what you were diagnosed with.

2 Likes

The pain in your stomach and back doesn’t sound like BV. Like others said, you should get a 2nd opinion.

4 Likes

And like someone else said, take probiotics if you have been taking antibiotics so you don’t get a yeast infection…

1 Like

I had it several years ago and couldn’t get rid of it. I read online to take folic acid and st. John’s wort together. It cleared it up completely within a week. Also, if you’re taking antibiotics those can cause itching and even yeast infections.

Sounds like it might be a UTI. If I take certain antibiotics, it causes a uti for me. Please don’t ask me why it happens, but I’ve had this issue for years.

1 Like

Apple cider vinegar bath . Helps balance out ph levels. Amazing

4 Likes

I used to get BV all the time and antibiotics didn’t work. I finally tried boric acid suppositories and that was the only thing that made it go away for good! I ordered them on Amazon. However I didn’t have nausea or any of the pain you’re describing :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I would get tested for tricomonias. It can present as bv

2 Likes

Use candid cream for itching

I used to get bv all the time from my ex husband. If you are having sex, with same person, if you are being treated and they are not you can be passing it back and forth. But I would definitely go back for another opinion, different meds and tested for stds/stis

Drink 4-8oz of kefir every single day . You can find it in the yogurt aisle . It will replenish your body with the good bacteria . It will do way more for you than probiotics will

2 Likes

Sounds like a yeast infection from the antibiotic.

2 Likes

Boric acid! They have suppositories and they work wonders

1 Like

You now have a yeast infection from antibiotics I bet

1 Like

It hasn’t been mentioned that I can see but look at every thing, if you are having unprotected sex, sexual fluids from your partner can disbalance your own flora. Condoms if you are using them can also cause bv, even saliva from someone using that in sex acts as lube. Also look at any lubes you are using as I found some caused bv for me.

Look at every thing. Also get a second opinion as this sounds more serious. Could be a really bad case of thrush from antibiotics, could be many things get that 2nd opinion and honestly do not use anything down there until you have a 2nd opinion

1 Like

I thought I had bv and yeast but… turns out I have an autoimmune disorder of the vagina.

Doesnt sound like BV to me. I had BV and it went away quickly with antibiotics.

1 Like

Birth control is what kept causing mine. Never had it since taking my birth control out.

Honestly this is the only thing that keeps it away for me and it helps with thrush. I suffered for years till I started using these

1 Like

That happened to me too after antibiotics, I got a yeast infection. It can happen and sometimes the doctor will advise to take probiotics to offset the antibiotics. For a yeast infection I used the suppositories and lay down for a while and wear a pad, yukult or yogurt will help as well.

1 Like

This May be a yeast infection now from
antibiotics. Water. Cranberry juice. Yeast infection cream. Cotton underwear. Or none at all. Unscented soap. There are also cranberry pills. Boric acid suppository. Seek a second opinion w a GYN dr. Sounds like more going on.

1 Like

Boric acid suppositories

1 Like

You need to get seen for a 2nf opinion. This sounds like it could be pelvic inflammatory disease

2 Likes

Wipe front to back… Go without undies when possible?

1 Like

Certain antibiotics make you do that so the infection will get out of your body,heating pad for your back pain,put your feet in warm water and bend forward with cold compress on the back of your neck that gets rid of headaches quick also have them check you for cysts and endometriosis your symptoms and pains sound a lot like that could be an issue I did he same thing

Also antibiotics will make you have a yeast infection and possible uti you’ll need amoxicillin if it does do that and wear loose shorts around the house without undies let it breath and stay away from soaps that has perfumes in it

Honestly, that doesn’t sound bv at all. I’ve personally never had it, but from what I understand it doesnt effect your body outside of your vagina. I would definitely get a second opinion and if you’re sexually active, please go get a full std panel done. This sounds way more serious than bv

Sounds like you ended up with a yeast infection after taking the antibiotics. First you have to eat something when you take antibiotics and you should also take a probiotic to offset the antibiotics, this will help with the stomach/diarrhea issue. Make sure to keep yourself dry down there, no excess moisture, wear loose fitting clothes and if you can sleep without underwear/bottoms on. If you are having sex make sure to use your yeast infection medicine before sex that way he’s being treated to. Of not you’ll just be passing it back and forth. Try not to use am excess of soaps that way your vagina can do what it does best which is balance itself out.

I would get your urine checked. Tummy and back pain can be symptoms of a kidney infection. Also yeast infection is common after anti biotics. Make sure you’re drinking plenty of water and call a doctor

2 Likes

Any chance of kidney infection??

If its actually bacterial vaginosis and not something else (which it sounds like it could be a combination of a few thing, in which case you must advocate for yourself and demand testing and answers cuz its gotta suck to be in constant discomfort) Have a doctor prescribe you this. I went months not know I had bacterial vaginosis. Had a doc to a swab and I came back as nothing. Then verbalized my symptoms to a different doc and without any examination diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis and prescribed me flagystatin :arrow_down:. It clear it right up. Never had it again!

1 Like

Treat yourself for thrush too.

Flagyl which is most likely the antibiotic you were prescribed is most likely the culprit of some of your symptoms… most common symptoms are yeast infection, Dizziness, headache, stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, and diarrhea. If it’s that severe that it’s interrupting your daily life you should be seen again to make sure you aren’t having some sort of reaction to the antibiotic. Hope you feel better soon.

2 Likes

Ask your dr for this! Same as oral med, but it’s vaginal insertion…without the side effects!

2 Likes

Did they offer you the suppositories for it ? I couldn’t take the pills for it either cause they made me puke ( yes literally). The suppositories helped a lot.

I always get thrush after antibiotics.

Sounds like you need a urinalysis and pelvic exam

1 Like

Ask for the gel. I forget what it’s called.

I have always been told by drs that is you get diarrhea from antibiotics that means they are not working. Hince why you are still having a problem I suggest you see another dr asap before it gets worse. Hope you feel better soon.

Please get checked for endometriosis

Eat yogurt, take probiotics, and baking soda baths! Do not wear underwear or tight clothing!

1 Like

If they put you on metronidazole make sure you are not putting any alcohol I’m your body!! Don’t even use mouthwash with alcohol in it. Metronidazole acts similar to Antabuse, the drug that they use to stop people from drinking alcohol!

Could be pelvic inflammatory disease in which case you need more treatment including and injection and if you have a partner they also need treatment

Get tested for diabetes. It could be a symptom

Diarrhea is a common side effect from antibiotics. Taking probiotics or eating yogurt can help. Cotton underwear or no underwear will also help. Drink lots of water and cranberry juice to flush out whatever you have going on.

1 Like

Sounds like you may have a yeast infection from the anabiotic‘s. You might need to
Go back to the doctor and get treatment for that and you probably need some probiotics for the diarrhea

1 Like

I had that, a bladder infection on top of a yeast infection and it sounds like you do as well. Stop taking the antibiotic and get a cream to use instead, get a pill for yeast infection and whatever antibiotic you can take for bladder infections.

The dizziness and diarrhea and the headaches are probably an allergic reaction from the antibiotic you were on. Flagyl gave me neuropathy, and I had the same symptoms. Headache, dizziness, zapping pain in my head, and then the neuropathy in my hands and feet.
Definitely go get a shot to counteract the meds. It can take up to two weeks for it to get out of your system.

Best of luck!! And avoid that antibiotic from now on!

1 Like

Put natural yoghurt on a pad in yr undies bath in bi carb and air urself

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I manage my bacterial vaginosis symptoms? - Mamas Uncut

Wow…symptoms seem extreme for BV. I would get a second opinion.

This is exactly what happened to me when I had a pelvic and abdominal infection. It was a vaginal infection that didn’t get treated, and moved up into my abdomen and everything. Definitely go back to your doc.

1 Like

Definitely go back to the doctor

Have you been checked for diabetes? I went through the same thing and was dismissed with type 2. Went away after starting meds and getting A1C under control.

Could you possibly have a yeast infection on top of bv? I’d ask your doc for diflucan and see if some of those symptoms go away.

2 Likes

That doesn’t sound like thats the only issue you hot going on, you need to go to your doctor. If your doc is refusing to figure out what’s really going on find a new doc and go to the ED.

3 Likes

Check if it’s a yeast infection?

1 Like

I agree. It sounds to me like your BV has progressed to PID. You need to go back to the doctor. BV might be treated with metronidazole but PID usually requires ceftriaxone or doxycycline.

2 Likes

Yoghurt. Just regular Greek style yogurt. Eat lots of it as well as applying it all over the affected area. Lay on a towel and plaster it every where… then wash it off after 10 to 15 mins. Do this 5 to 6 times a day. Or whoever u begin to itch. Cold yoghurt is heavenly in those situations… don’t shove it up the vag tho… even tho some folk say to do so.

I’m going to be honest here. Do you have a significant other? The only time that I ever had problems with bvi is when I was in a relationship with a cheater. I would get rid of it only to get it again. Got rid of the partner and never had it again. I hope that this is not the case for you but it was an awakening for me

34 Likes

The BRAT diet, banana, rice, applesauce, toast, tea. Keeps electrolytes in balance.

Drink apple side’sider vinegar it’s a natural antibiotic it works
Wonders not only that but it also kills the virus of yeast infections. Had it once when I was a teen drank applesider vinegar never ever got it again. It cleared up and poof it’s gone. Cleans u out from the inside out.

1 Like

Try taking a probiotic everyday, you can also use natural yoghurt down there as a douche, b12 for the zaps, and maybe a good multivitamin, reduce the amount of sugar you have everyday that will cause a candida overgrowth in your bowel and vaginally, drink lots of water, i hope this helps, and also dont wash yourself inside with soap, just the outside use water, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and yoghurt, good luck

Plain yogurt tons of it . Probiotic

1 Like

wash your private part with probiotic drinks like yacult those with lactobacillos. probiotic drinks. i can attest it’s really effective against itchiness.

1 Like

Everything everybody else said, but also get checked for trichomoniosis. It doesn’t show up for men and you both have to be treated.

5 Likes

Please get checked for CDiff, a serious gut infection that can occur after taking antibiotics. It can cause fever, colitis with very distinct diarrhea. If you have an underlying chronic health problems like Lupus, MS, elderly, you can be at higher risk. You can try probiotics like SBoulardii, or Acidophilus ( HFS has it) to help replace good gut bacteria. If your symptoms persist please see doc for stool culture.
Only way to rid yourself of this is to bleach all surfaces in bathrooms, wash hands VERY frequently.

Use baking soda with white vinegar to wash the affected area. Do it as needed.

lol. Look at all these Facebook doctors :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Since you said you were on antibiotics I know for a fact you have a yeast infection, call your gyno and explain to them that you have one and they will prescribe you medicine for it.

1 Like

When my daughter had this we had to do daily vinegar baths for 10 minutes. It helped heaps.

I had years ago throw away all underwear make sure u wear cotton//wen home try wear none//eat probiotics//loads of water//water and vinegar washes//

Ask for the vaginal gel instead of the oral meds. I’ve dealt with it before. The pills made me super sick (same issues as you), so when I got it again, & my new doctor asked which I’d prefer I opted for the gel. It works much better. The only side effect I had from the gel was a cottage cheese like vaginal discharge that went away after my treatment ended. Also, get checked for a yeast infection. I usually got one after being on antibiotics.

1 Like

Boric acid suppositories. If you have a partner make sure his hands and tongue are clean before intercourse. Im still trying to find some good probiotics

Try the tablet septrin.

Talk to your chemist nothing worse. I found out mine was clearing up as my diabetes was out of control even though I was on tablets for diabetes, and was on candid yeast tablets…I went in insulin best thing I did I inject once a day and off the pills good luck

I used to have the same problem. I was so sick of being like this . I was always going to the doctors over this . I was told all kids of stuff like I was cheating on my boyfriend or he was with me n that’s why I kept getting this . Well one day I went to a different doctor n told her this she laught at me n said that’s not true . It can be from ya having allergies n it cause ya to have a lack of oxygen. N if ya use tampons or pads . So she told me to get these gummed called PROBIOTIC n take them every day so I did n I haven’t had a problem since then .

…its bacterial vaginosis…those symptoms sound like something else. It doesn’t really get that severe. Those symptoms are not vaginosis symptoms

5 Likes

I just got over a 2 month stint with that mess. My dr gave me a fluconazole tablet twice and on the second one she told me to use the monastat 1 day dose with the vagisil anti itch cream to counter it from all angles and it finally went away. Hope that helps

1 Like

Kroger or Dillons keep probiotics behind the counter in the fridge. They are tablets or capsules and the easiest way to get the probiotics. Always take them when on antibiotics. Your skin could even have a yeast infection. You can buy athletics feet cream, cheaper cream than monostat, and rub it all over done there. Apply it every time you use the bathroom. If do not improve seek treatment, do not be miserable.

I see a lot of responses telling you to put things on or in your private parts. Please go back to the doctor and do not do anything your doctor has not okayed. Many of these suggestions could make things worse.

Boric acid suppositories!!

Same thing happened to me. I was at my wits end. At the doctors office 8 times. Tried all the above … not the boric but finally was told to go off my birth control. I’d been on it for 33 years. I couldn’t imagine that was the answer but at that point I would have done anything. Went off of it and cleared up in about a week and NOTHING like that since. :pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2: