How can I talk to my son about the scars on my body?

how would you answer your child when they ask about scars and other marks on your body? I was asked the other day about some of my scars and I didn’t know how to answer him (boy, 9)

19 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I talk to my son about the scars on my body? - Mamas Uncut

Honesty! Be honest about the scars, abuse or surgical, but whatever they come from is the past, good or bad. At his age he should be understanding to know.

3 Likes

Depends on what kind of scars they are? We need more detail

5 Likes

Are they SH scars? That would seem to make the most amount of sense here for not knowing what to say, if talking lightly about mental health and what you did to stop or how you learned to cope “ this is why we always have to talk to mommy about our feelings ok? Because you’re never alone and I’ll always listen to you”.

11 Likes

Or if they’re regular scars “ man one time I jumped from the roof and landed on the tree branch, that’s why I say you can’t do those things”

5 Likes

Be completely honest. My 9 year old has seen my self-harm scars from when I was 14-22… luckily my skin heals exceptionally well and they’re not easy to see but he knows what they are, why they’re there and that if he’s ever feeling anything like I was feeling to come to me for help because I will understand and not judge him. He’s also seen my surgery scars and scars from me being an accident prone kid. They understand so much more than we give them credit for.

5 Likes

Our bodies change as we get older. Explain it

Are we talking about a mature 9 year old? If so be honest without going into full deal. That some people struggle sometimes and they think there is only one way out. And the people can’t see at the time that it isn’t true.

My daughter notices everyone’s track marks in my recovery community. I’m open and honest with her and she’s 6. Obviously I make it age appropriate so that she can understand but she’s grown up knowing about our past addiction and we’ve been sober since before she was born.

4 Likes

You answer him with the truth.

We all have scars and stories behind those scars. Some scars are visible, some aren’t. But I believe that when your child asks you about something, you should be honest. Hope that your scars and your stories help guide your child(ren).

3 Likes

You tell him the truth

Tell him it’s none of his business, and tell him to go play outside.

11 Likes

Be honest… only tell as much as they can understand right now…

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Mrs Olgusya Gribova ,I am indeed grateful for this payout. Every investment online has been condemned as a scam, because of fake managers out there. You are truly legit as they say you are. Thank you once again, ma’am, I will share your name with the world, I appreciate it. Link to

The truth, be honest, why lie?

1 Like

Honesty is the best policy x

3 Likes

As much truth as you’re willing to share. It is a scar. I got cut, fell, car accident. It is what is left of the mark.

2 Likes

If they are old enough to ask they are old enough to know the truth age appropriately obviously. My sons five, he noticed a scar on my leg and asks. It’s from a nail/screw going in my leg. If he asked for more details obviously would have gave him more but he was satisfied with that

2 Likes

Be honest. Every time my daughter has asked me about a scar on my body I have been 100% honest.

1 Like

Why would it be a big deal? I mean even if there a huge trauma there it’s a teaching moment and possibly a healing moment for you…

2 Likes

Honestly. I have scars as well. I explained to my daughter when she was 7 and asked. That I used to cut myself. That I did it because I thought that was how to feel better because I was really sad. I told her that it was not the right thing to do and talking to someone would have worked better. Hes not two so I would suggest honesty

2 Likes

Be honest. Don’t need a bunch of details depending on how mature they are. But honesty. Always

2 Likes

I tell them I got in a motorcycle accident because it looks like road rash in my thighs :sweat_smile:

It depends the scars? I have scars from chicken pox as a child, surgery, and a couple from animal bites. I was honest about them all. Self-harm ones I’d also be honest if I had any but at an age appropriate level.

Id explain them to her. Scars are a part of life. And so help them build empathy.

1 Like

You be an adult and explain the truth.

3 Likes

You tell the truth. Kids understand more than you think. Lying or just ignoring it with the “none of your business” type response is not right nor is it a good way to keep trust.

I have a lot of scars, surgeries, injuries, as a kid. My 6 year old daughter asks when she sees them, she’s proud of them herself and will tell people on her own about them. I’m open to my kids about nearly everything, they make us who we are and our story. She loves telling people I had open heart surgery as a baby.

My son just asked me yesterday about some scars on my legs while we were at the lake…he is 12 and since he was about 9 or so I talked to him about self harm. Nothing major at first we started small… but now that he is about to be the same age I was when I started we had a much more detailed talk. He knows about my struggles and he knows I didn’t have anyone to talk to or trust when I needed it but that he does. I’ve made it clear he can come to me about anything without judgement… So IMO I think it’s time to talk to your child about the truth now

1 Like

Real love comes from respect and truth

2 Likes

The truth. I’m covered in scars from old childhood injuries to self-harm scars. I’ve never really hid any of it, why would I? You just give age appropriate answers.

2 Likes

I tell my kids the truth

2 Likes

Just tell them. I have two scars on my face from an auto accident. I used them as a teaching moment with my kids to remind them of the importance of wearing a seat belt.

1 Like

Here’s the thing about bot being honest with your kids and they find out… they learn it’s ok to lie. You can answer honestly vague. I got cut, I fell, I whatever. You don’t have to explain the nuances if you don’t want to.

1 Like

Battle scars. Im like a super hero that has had some tough fights.

10 Likes

From self harm i just be like idk from playing as a kid.

1 Like

Just tell them the truth. Life happens, we get scars. They are apart of us and our past. Nothing to be ashamed of.

2 Likes

After leaving my previous job 6 months ago, i’ve had some good luck to learn about this website which was a life-saver for me… They offer job for which people can work online from their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 4 months was for $16797… Amazing thing about is that the only thing required is simple typing skills and access to internet…

Read all about it here… https://SmartJob197.pages.dev

When they’re old enough to ask they’re old enough to know the truth.

I’m a firm believer that you can be honest with your kid at any age. You just tell them in an age appropriate way

6 Likes

The truth. Unless it’s a horrific story of abuse (whether self inflicted or inflicted by others), then the conversation should be age appropriate. But always stick with honest answers. If you don’t it will affect your relationship in the future and the trust your child has in you.

4 Likes

I don’t know a single person who doesn’t have scars. They’re completely normal, so why not just answer the questions truthfully? If they’re from self harm, or a result of an abusive situation, than obviously use your best judgment.

3 Likes

Just be honest. You knew you’d have to explain them eventually.

Uhm…tell him what happened

I just tell mine the truth. Just say it. Kids need to know and learn.

1 Like

Depends on what the scar is for or you can come up with a crazy creative story to teach him what not to do:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I don’t hide anything from my kids. I figure if I tell them the truth if they see or hear anything like we’ve talked about they are prepared. They can laugh about the scar from where I tripped over my own two feet and know someone might need a shoulder or listening ear if it seems self inflicted. It how we can help our kids to always be kind.

Tell them the truth. Both my kids age 10 and 8 know where all my scars come from.

U didn’t say what or where your scars are at. We don’t want to traumatized the child lol

1 Like

Tell him the truth it cant hurt and be honest.

Good account manager like Mrs Olgusya Gribova, am proud to say I’m among the people benefiting online trading, my gratitude to Mrs Olgusya Gribova for helping me achieve all my dreams in life. She helped me recover all the money I lost. Today I’m living in my own apartment, doing things I was not able to do. Who ever that is reading this should contact Mrs Olgusya and be free from pains. Join her with the link
:point_down::point_down::point_down:

1 Like

My life has changed since I meet Mrs Olgusya Gribova a binary trade manager online, I just give a try to invest with her platform, I can’t believe my life has just change, u can invest with her she pay on time, you will also share your testimony contact her on the name below.:point_down:
Redirecting...

What are the scars from? Pending where they are are and his age would determine how you approach answering his questions. You want to be honest, but you don’t always have to tell the full truth until he is older

Hello everyone I finally discovered a legit company with easy withdrawal, contact the manager for more info

I wouldn’t put any bad ideas in any young child’s heads. LIE!!!

You tell the truth :woman_shrugging:t2:

1. Thank you so much Mrs Olgusya Gribova this was the reason why I keep reinvesting with you again. I am so grateful for his expert trading skills and way of earning legitimately money during my trading season. It was a blast, a perfect wake boat appeared, as dividends for his expert trading skills. I’m impressed. I will keep investing with you… I also urge you to read this to invest with the lady. It doesn’t cost much but for a better life… My new wake up call :gift_heart: :male_sign: :gift_heart:
    Redirecting...

Just gear the explanations to his level. Don’t go into gory details but be honest as you can. " I got cut or hit" or simple answers but honest.

I noticed a crowd of people giving thanks to Mr. Bunker for helping them. So I decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise my first two weeks of trading was very successful, I made a very responsible amount that I can’t even get from my current job, I guess someone might need his help as well, I can’t stop sharing his good works :pray::pray:Click on the link to contact him, :point_down::point_down: :point_down:

I would just be honest. Depending on how much detail you want to go into, be upfront and truthful. He will feel like he can do the same with you

I thank God almighty who openly Do you know you can be home and earn good amount of money for yourself off binary options trade without sending money to anyone? NO stress. All you need to get started is a bitcoin wallet. For enquiries contact manager Olgusya Gribova for free directions

Honestly. If a child is asking a question it usually means they’re old enough to know the truth.

I keep smiling anytime I invest with her, she is is good at what she does, she’s an expert trader​:point_down::point_down: