How did you file a divorce with no money?

Call your local Bar association

You sue him for the divorce, thatā€™s how itā€™s
done .

Family members paid my Airfare home. Got general assistance and food stamps. Got health insurance . Legal Aid did my divorce for free. I left a home with a mortgage and daycare business. Crashing was hard but I managed with my family and friends who made sure my kids were set. Money from a cool friend made our Christmas one year. I was broke. Love ya Don w. And Patrick was a gift.

Wellā€¦ my ex was military so the very first thing I was advised by his commanding officer was have the military enforce a support order on him so he was supporting his children ( he went on a year unaccompanied deployment and left his family for a stripper ). I was very blessed to have a father who understood the pain of divorce with children ( his ex wife left him with 4 kids ) and he then paid off my credit cards/bills ( in my name and 1/2 of each joint ones ), paid to have me moved back home, paid my initial fees and court costs to get a lawyer and start the process and bought me a car ( since my vehicle was in my husbandā€™s name )ā€¦ all that with the agreement i pay him back once I got on my feet. Once I got a job I saved $$ and found a house to rent ( I was temporarily technically homeless but my sister let me and my kids stay in her sons room for couple months ), I also had child support started and for a short bit was on welfare until I was working full time. I was lucky I had the support of my family ! My children were almost 2 & 3 at the time all this happened. It was an extremely rough time and I will never complain because I am certain there are persons out there who have had a way rougher time than I ever did smhā€¦ unfortunately as the kids grew and circumstances within my family ( like parents diagnosed as terminally ill ) changed I have held numerous part time jobs just to be flexible for my children and school etcā€¦ but we do what we must to do whatā€™s best for our children.

Lawyer referral services check this out 1 (800) 342-8011

I know in Florida they have a fee waiver if you donā€™t work . My divorce was $10 no joke .

Good luck

1 Like

Lori Ann Caradea read the comments

https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/feewaiver/index.php

This is how I did it, my divorce was $50.00 :blush::blush::heavy_check_mark::+1:t2:

It is under $500 to file yourself without a lawyer, if it is a simple divorce, maybe you can apply for legal aid

A lot of law schools have a free legal clinic that offers advice and guidance free of charge. Not sure if this is an option for you, but if it is they can show you where to go and which steps to take next. May even put you in touch with a low cost attorney.

I did what Bustillos Migdalia did it was easy to get a fee waver especially since you are a stay at home mom so am I, I went to the self help office like every other day the court I went to you could go and talk to someone as much as you needed all in all took me about a month or so. We had to take a parenting class not together he didnā€™t do his however, I was in an 18 year abusive marriage I had no money and had to kinda sneek around to make it to appointments that had to do with my filing for divorce I did it though Iā€™m freeā€¦you got this girl just deep breath take 1 day at a time stand your ground mite seem hard and take some time but then vwala your divorced and can go do whatā€™s best for you in this lifeā€¦good luck sweety :purple_heart::rose:

legal aids free some countys let you file as pauper meaning you have 0$

Legal aid initially. It didnā€™t work she was horrible. So when he falsely claimed our kids on taxes this year and the IRS took his taxes as back pay I used that to put $3,000 on a lawyer for the retainer. Sob has drug my divorce out for 2 years. Finally went last week judge says by the end of the day on OCT 6th my divorce will be final and she told him she will not continue to drag this out. Sadly you get the service you pay for. A Lot of judges will give you a continuance so you can save up for legal representation.

I did everything myself. Got fee waivers from the court.

Did mine with no help. No assets were involved, but he turned the papers into the court with the help of his brother and legal friends. Loss anything I would have got.

Call one of your local colleges to see if they have someone going through the paralegal class that can help you fill out the paperwork

You can file with forms from the internet. You donā€™t need a lawyer unless everything is contested.

Used a pro bono lawyer thru legal aid and requested that he pay the lawyer thru the court final proceedings. I got full legal custody of the kids (2 and 3) the household goods child support. He took his clothes and tools. Never got a cent of child support but found out yrs later that he had a houseā€¦I immediatly put a lien on it and he found out a few yrs later when he went to sell! He was furious! He was made to pay his lawyer, his bill collectors, all the money he owed me! He was left with pocket change only! He was soooo mad that he stomped out of the courtroom with nothing!!! We all laughed including his second ex-wife and he canā€™t understand why his kids donā€™t ā€œloveā€him after yrs of no contact on his part at allā€¦not a phone call, card, letter, birthday or Christmas giftsā€¦nothing and he canā€™t understand why??? Such a jerk!

You can file and get a fee waiver and only pay to file paperwork.

I feel strongly that a woman should work. I say this because depending on a man to support you can be very difficult. You never know what can happen.

Found a group that helps for free. Ex was verbally abusive.

Do consultation with an attorney. Keep going until you get the answers you need. Good luckšŸŒ¹