How do I fix a birth certificate?

After 4 years, I was looking at my daughter’s birth certificate and realized they put the wrong date. They put the 22 instead of the 21. The birth certificate is from Los Angeles county. How in the world do I fix this?
36 Likes

You will probably need to go to the health department in the county he was born in and fill out some forms for them to issue a new/corrected one.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do I fix a birth certificate? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

Call your health department & ask them.

2 Likes

Call the hospital where you got it from

Happened to me. I just went and got a new one. She had two socials and two birth certs

Have to go to the hospital where you had your child they have to pull up the documents from the day that you had him or her, the time and date of the procedure etc and the paperwork pretty much has to prove that the date was wrong. It took some paperwork but I was able to successfully get it done

1 Like

I’ve been fighting for 17 years to get my sons changed. They made him 3 days older then what he is and I have yet to be able to get it changed

6 Likes

I’ve had to correct 2/3 of my kids birth certificates :roll_eyes: it is done through the state, not the county. So you have to go to the states website, print off the form, fill it out with your proof of correct information, you mail it off with a fee and they’ll send you the corrected birth certificates

I had to go through probate court and health dept. for one letter they messed up on my name on my daughters birth certificate

You would have to go to the Dept of Vital Statistics and take the birth record they gave you from the hospital where she was born. Chances are you’re going to have to pay to fix it.

I know they told me to get the father’s name fixed (they spelled it wrong) that I would have to go to court even tho we are together

My grandma is 83 and her BC has always been off by one day.

1 Like

Go to the local social security office. :woman_shrugging:

Request a correction. You’ll likely have to pay. Be advised I know this is what I’m dealing with in my case (Massachusetts) any further errors on the certificate they make you’ll end paying for.

1 Like

The hospital will have to update it

Well look like shes born on the 22nd now … lol

9 Likes

Check with your local clerks office

Was that when it filed? Or her dob?

1 Like

You should have an original one from her birth take it to the health department with the ones that’s wrong and tell them.

1 Like

They messed up my daughters middle name on her birth certificate. Thankfully I noticed right away.
I had to call the health department, send in the paperwork that proved it was wrong & they fixed it within the week

I just fixed mine and I’m 59 Go on line and print out the correction form from the state you were born in And mail it in .

3 Likes

They did that to my sister whatever was on file at the hospital is what they went with even though what was on file was wrong so you might not be able to change that unfortunately

You can’t . On my birth certificate it’s says my dads name was Martin my Dads name was Marvin . My mother tried fixing it 68 years ago . Her friend worked at the bureau of vital statistics. It never got fixed it’s a standing joke :laughing: Where is my real Dad Martin he owes me lol

5 Likes

Asmodeus check yours

They give it to you and ask if everything is correct because you CAN NOT change it afterwards.

3 Likes

Go to the county registrar/social security office. They allow you to correct

Now some of you got me needing to check my kids birth certificates over to make sure its all right :mag:

2 Likes

Usually they get u to scan over it and make sure it’s right before signing and printing well in northern Ireland anyway

They spelled my second daughters name wrong and I told the lady and made her go type it again, she wasn’t happy at all, I didn’t care, she has her grand mother’s name it won’t be spelled wrong. But I noticed in the hospital when they showed me

You call the county clerk’s office and ask them.

My birth certificate says Bridgewater … There shouldn’t be an e in the middle. I realised when I was 32 and yea. . Screw it

Did you proofread the document before signing it. I’ve had 3 kids & was told every time to read it carefully. If there’s errors I don’t get corrected BEFORE it’s filed it’s my responsibility to change it. I was always very careful. My mom’s name is spelled wrong on her BC. We don’t know what my grandfather’s name truly is. First & middle names are switched depending on document.

I believe you need to contact your county clerk. Ask them what to do. She might just be legally a day younger than she really is forever.

Getting an amended birth certificate is annoying but not difficult. Just go to the county clerk office with the original mother’s copy of the birth certificate application with the correct date of birth and they will fix it.

You can change it go to the clerk records and they will give you more information .

Go to the county clerk. Problem is it looks like all LA county clerk recorder offices are closed due to covid

On my sons birth certificate they have his dad listed under mom and have my name listed under dad. :woman_facepalming:t3: I didn’t notice until I went to enroll him in preschool last year.

6 Likes

My sons birth certificate info was filled out when I went to hospital on Monday but didn’t deliver until Thursday and my birthday was Wednesday ! So it say I was 25 at birth but was actually 26 ….paperwork was not brought back into me to verify after birth

1 Like

Had the hospital write out a letter and a new certificate and we took to ss dept and had name fixed for my daughter

I checked my daughter’s when it came in 18 years ago andbit had on it she was male instead if female. I got it fixed.

You get a revision
The original will still have the wrong date however they will revise the copy for you.

Same thing happened to me. I had to send the birth certificate back and pay for it to be fixed. They’ll have to verify it with the hospital too.

Is it the birthdate or the date filed? Make sure you’re looking in the correct space

2 Likes

My kid’s birth certificate listed the wrong city name. It wasn’t super hard, but I had the hospital update records first then sent forms to the Dept of Vital statistics for my state.

1 Like

They spelt my kids name wrong by one letter and told me I have to pay $500 to change it

9 Likes

Thank goodness my husband caught it because they left out the “n” in Samantha. Met a woman years later and her name was Samatha. Said thats what was on her birth certificate, they missed the n too.

1 Like

I still get called Samatha in certain areas of Indianapolis

1 Like

Idk but mine says the 1st but the IRS has it on the 2nd…

1 Like

As a birth clerk it’s amazing to me how many people don’t read the one we have parents sign. I give them a paper to read off with big letters and the original copy and they still skim it and sign and than get mad later that it wasn’t right. It’s so easy to fix when they are being signed. Take a long minute to read it. We don’t mind lol.

12 Likes

They have spelled the father of my kids name wrong on both birth certificates

Contact the CDPH. After a year the state holds the master copy and you can do an amendment with them. It will be a 2 page document with the corrected info on the 2nd page.

1 Like

Bro. My friends had the wrong year!!

5 Likes

I had this problem my daughter’s daddy was proved to be hers and then on my son they spelled my name wrong and they told me to add my daughter’s daddy and all that there’s a paper you got to fill out and get notarized and turn it into the district clerk of the county clerk or whoever and my son on misspelling they told me that there was something you had to fill out is the clerk’s office to change it and then you got to pay whatever they charge you

When I had all 3 of my children the hospital filled out all the information and I had to sign a form saying everything was correct on all 3. I also double checked their birth certificates because I know people make mistakes.

That’s why they ask you before they submit it to verify all the information listed is correct… and to find the mistake 4 years later is gonna seem a little odd…

2 Likes

You’ll have to call the hospital and get a copy of the records from birth and then take it to the courthouse I believe.

1 Like

I’m 31 and just realized my first name spelled wrong on my social security card :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

This happened to my sister and now she is in all kinds of legal issues and being accused of identifying theft!! The IRS froze her bank account and everything! She is still trying to figure out how to get it fixed

3 Likes

The hospital records say i delivered my twins when i was 18. I was 20 years old at the time.

Its been almost 4 freaking years ive been trying to fix my sons birth certificate they put female instead of male :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Does it REALLY matter?

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do I fix a birth certificate? - Mamas Uncut

This happened to my Niece as well! We never found a way to fix it but that was also 20 years ago :frowning: Hoping ya find a solution

1 Like

U have to get a hold of state records

We had to fix my son’s as well, go to your local court house, vital records, and speak to them. They will instruct you on what to do next. It’s a lengthy process. Best of luck. (I’m in Georgia, for what it’s worth)

2 Likes

It will be much easier to tell your daughter she was born on the 22nd and live with the lie.

40 Likes

Happened to me when I request a new birth certificate for myself over 3 yrs ago. They even messed up my sex on the copy. I had to go to my doctor and get a note that I’m a girl and always been one.

14 Likes

I work in a midwifery clinic … Contact the bureau of vital records they will give you the directions you need you may have to have some papers notarized and a statement from whoever delivered your baby

1 Like

Can’t be changed but they will add an amendment at the bottom , sisters is the same

My grandmother was born July 22 1951. Her birth certificate showed July 12 1951. She never could get hers changed in KY.

1 Like

I would write to them to correct the mistake. You may have to go to where she was born and get a copy of the birth record ?

1 Like

My bf has the wrong name on his he can’t get it fixed has tried multiple times

Call the county vourtbouse and ask

2 Likes

Ours was messed up too in San Bernardino county. Go to the county courthouse (LA for you) and tell them that it is wrong, they will give you all the paper work, but if it was the hospitals mistake then you can go to or call the hospital (the people you spoke with and signed the forms with at birth) and have the hospital fix the issue. She will then have 3 copies for the rest of her life, the original the amend paperwork and the corrected copy.

2 Likes

I’m sure it depends on the state but all I had to do was go to the city my son was born in, the health department changed it.

My husband was born in Los Angeles California. We had to reach out to the records of records of vital statistics.

In Florida we have to go these places

Depends on you…but I’d say Just leave it alone… time, cost y frustration is a pain especially if you are out of state…

2 Likes

The messed up my daughters name. I have to pull medical records to “prove” her real name. Then social security to change on the card and then back to the hospital for them to change. But this might be done via mail during covid. Call the vital records in your county

Call vital records in your state and do an amendment

I couldn’t fix my name on my birth certificate until I got married :woman_facepalming:t2: there was a spelling error in my first name.

You have to pay a whole bunch of money to your state records department. There is a mistake on one of my kid’s certificates. Everything I filled out was correct, but when I got it back it was wrong and they told me I would have to pay “up to” $900 to fix it.

3 Likes

It’s going to cost you a whole lot of money… They informed me they don’t make mistakes

ya vital statistics office suc*"
been trying to get my mom’s birth certificate and it’s a pain

You should have been given the opportunity to review and sign prior to the facility filing it.

1 Like

I think it will need to stay as it is - but it’s a great talking point and very unique xx

On my 1st child’s birth certificate they got his dad’s bday wrong… weird thing was everything was correct when we looked over and signed before sending in the paperwork… I left it since it wasn’t any of my child’s information that was wrong

Not sure about your state but in mine, Maine, I just had to go to the city hall of where I was born. They got my first name wrong and after 24 years I finally noticed :joy: My mom didn’t even notice haha

1 Like

One of my kids is wrong and everyone I talked to about it told me not to fix it because it would only create problems

It depends on how many years have passed. I added my daughter’s name to the birth certificate like 4 or 5 years later and they did it for free. It also depends who you get. I would definitely investigate you never know

But better now than later take from someone who it happened to.

1 Like

Well I didn’t find out about mine being the 29th and suppose to be the 24th until I got married and I couldn’t change my name.

I sent a copy of the birth certificate over to the health department and proof of my actual birthday and they fixed it for me. I didn’t pay anything.

You have to obtain records from the hospital where is shows and states the day and time of birth and go to the county health department that your child was born in and go from there

2 Likes

In Canada my baby girl (12 yrs old) is registered as a male :thinking:…found out thru school but who to call to fix it… Saskatchewan

2 Likes

They put my daughter down as male on hers. Got that changed pretty fast but I think it’s within a certain time frame or it gets more difficult. They sent a letter with ours if there were any mistakes to call a number

1 Like

Go to the county where she was born thy keep records on file. Where do you live now. I know thy didn’t put my husband name it said baby boy . So he had to go to the county where he was born and get it straight.

If they didnt shove the paperwork at us the second we gave birth this wouldnt be an issue :rofl:
Sorry you gotta deal with this Mama, wish I had advice for you.

8 Likes

Contact the county clerk and ask for birth certificate amendment form. They won’t fix the original BC. Instead there will be an ammendment page and your child will have a 2-page BC forever

1 Like

Good luck sweetheart

Easy, just tell her shes born on the 22nd not the 21st lol

3 Likes