How do I get a dad to give up his rights?

What is the process of getting a dad to give up his rights? How do I start?

22 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do I get a dad to give up his rights?

As long as he’s paying child support… not much

2 Likes

That is his choice not yours!

13 Likes

Well it all depends on what state your from

1 Like

You have to go to court. We’re you married to him? If not file for child support, they will contact him, then he can give them up.

Just ask him to sign them away in court most men are happy to oblige

2 Likes

Talk to a lawyer. I don’t think we can give you any advice in legal matters. I’m thinking this constitutes as a legal matter btw you and your ex.

1 Like

You have to go through the courts to have it officially dobe

Depends on the state. Some are simply defined periods of no contact. Some won’t let men give up rights unless you have someone else to adopt them.

1 Like

Where I live a father can not give up his rights without another father being in the picture to step up, meaning you have to be married. They will not leave a child fatherless.

6 Likes

I’m going through the same thing. My kids dad has been in and out of their life forn14 years. Never stable. We agreed on me having full sole custody and he gets access at the discretion of his kids. They have called him, texted him, emailed him for the past year with no response. I have reached out to him as well. He complains he doesn’t get to see them yada yada yada. He pays $1000 a month in support, no issues. HOWEVER my son has requested his bio dad be removed from his birth certificates and all rights he does have left, removed.
You can file a motion to have his rights removed but you have to prove he isn’t involved and you can’t receive support from him anymore.

In some states they won’t allow it unless someone else is ready to adopt. In Pa, you are still responsible for support even if you sign away unless someone else takes responsibility. It’s tough. And unless he wants to , there’s not much you can do .

1 Like

It varies from state to state. Consult an attorney in your area for specifics.

Most states it isn’t easy to give up rights unless someone adopts the child……maybe via abandonment but then that will be up to the judge. Definitely get a lawyer.

2 Likes

You’ll have to go to court either way. Why do you want him to give up his rights? That’s a drastic decision judges don’t take lightly.

4 Likes

There has to be a good reason and depending on your state, someone has to adopt the kids in his place.

1st is he even on the birth certificate? If not he really has no legal rights… you can always go up to the court and they will be happy to help you out.

2 Likes

Have to be married a year have to have bio dad sign off but can’t force him to do so when child is old enough he or she can request a name change

Is he on birth certificate

You can’t. There has to be a legit reason and it’s an entire process my sons father is in jail for domestic abuse and he still has rights to our child despite how severe.

3 Likes

You need to consult with an attorney. The laws vary in the different states. Dad may agree, but a judge will have to rule.

3 Likes

This is the kind of parent WE DO NOT NEED

9 Likes

Get him to? Kinda sounds like he doesn’t wanna. I don’t think you can force that. I know here unless there’s been so many years without contact, you can’t. And child support payments count as contact.

3 Likes

It depends on the state. In some states, just because he is on the birth certificate doesn’t give rights if there has never been a legal custody/visitation agreement or child support put into place, it’s just the man acknowledging that he is aware that he has a child out there if the parents were never married, it doesn’t give him rights. If they were married at the time of the conception of the child in question, the man does in fact have rights and is legally and financially responsible for the child unless he requests a paternity test be done on the child. Again, this depends entirely on the state laws, so you should definitely seek legal counsel.

It all depends on the laws of the State you live in. I’d call Legal Aid or find a Lawyer who gives free one hour consultations. Don’t get advice from someone who’s not a professional in this

4 Likes

Lawyer up. You have to prove 1 of 5 things… I can’t remember them all but if he doesn’t see the child in a year, doesn’t support the child in a year, is depraved (like no good for the child) and 2 others. The more you can prove, the better.

2 Likes

Depends on your reasons

If he doesn’t want to give up his rights then you can’t

2 Likes

Talk to a lawyer. Stay at Home Moms :fire:

You can’t force a father to give up parental rights. A judge can under certain circumstances, but as a general rule, they don’t usually do it without good reason.

If he has gone 1 year without Visitation that’s all you need another way is to relieve him of all back support he owes that works every time

1 Like

It varies on state to state but you can look up your state official laws. For everyone judging, it could just be the way she worded the post!! Yall are so quick to judge. It’s sad

Same way you get a mom to give up her rights.

2 Likes

In most states if there has been no contact in St least two years & the court can not reach him the judge may grant it. You really need to check with your state & their laws. If you can’t afford a lawyer try legal aid

Unless the dad is unfit or addicts you can’t just take a man’s right away. He has to sign for that. Why would you take your child’s father away ? A stepdad is not the same as bio dad. Once the child grows up he will resent you unless there is a very good reason your doings this

3 Likes

Are you deeply in love with someone and you need he or she back into your life I got my ex lover back with the help of Dr Achio
Here
:point_down::point_down:
Dr. A Achio

So many unanswered questions. We’re you married? What is his relationship? Is he on the birth certificate? Do you have someone who is wanting to adopt and be the father?

Everyone trying to get in your business. Don’t pay attention to them. You obviously have you reasons to take such drastic measures for your child/children. Talk to a lawyer, depending on the state that you are in you will need a very strong valid reason to get his rights taken away. If he fights you in court for his rights as a father it will all depend on the judge. Best of luck

1 Like

Perhaps its best if that doesn’t happen.

You need to talk to lawyers in your specific area. None of us can help you bc it’s different depending on location.

Aak a lawyer not facebook. Its varies greatly from state to state

2 Likes

Why would you want to do that ?

1 Like

Can we have more info

1 Like

In my state you have to prove the father a danger to the child or there has to be 12 months no contact without a court order in place barring contact. However with all that said there still has to be proof the mother can support the child financially without help from the state etc. Or there has to be someone else willing to adopt the child. But in my experience most of them don’t just give up rights even if they don’t bother making an effort to care for or see the child. My son’s dad has never paid child support comes and goes as he pleases and will spend months not contacting his son and doesn’t follow the visitation schedule at all but there is nothing I can do about it. I have to let him have him on his scheduled weekends still when he bothers to show up and I just carry on without him in every other aspect.

The answer is that you would have to be married to someone else and they would have to be legally responsible. The courts won’t just let him give up his rights. Tried to do this years ago and this was the answer I was given

1 Like

l Get paid over $127 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $17684 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarWorth842.pages.dev/

You can’t… It’s not your choice!

2 Likes

You don’t. WTF is this BS.
If the father is unfit the courts will see that and take his rights. A good father won’t just give up his rights.

3 Likes

Here we go again with trying to make someone do something… :woman_facepalming: Only person you control is
Y. O. U.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of “depends” factors on this.
There isn’t a clear cut right answer without more details.

Your best bet is to talk to a lawyer.
Many will do a consultation for free.

2 Likes

Are you deeply in love with someone and you need he or she back into your life I got my ex lover back with the help of Dr Achio
Here
:point_down::point_down:
Dr. A Achio

Depends on the state. You just go to the court house and file the papers

Idk about your state but where I am my attorney has told me multiple times it’s not as simple as signing over rights. Even if the father wanted to a judge would have to agree. There is a process. Abandonment is a way to get it done but the amount of time and the child’s age is a factor. Now In my childhood my dad (adopted father) wanted me so they hired an attorney verified that my bio dad hadn’t been around for X amount of time and the judge spoke with me I was 10 depending on the states idea of what age a child can give proper fees back they will definitely want to do this. Again, different states have different laws. Your best bet is to hire an attorney. Set up a consult with more than one attorney it’s always good to get more than one opinion. Then go from there.

1 Like

You can not make someone give up their right. Grow up

It depends on the state. Talk to a child custody lawyer. In Alabama, if they have been absent for X amount of time or owes more than $X in child support, the right can be removed (and still be required to continue child support). Only a lawyer can help.
If you are asking how to “talk him into giving them up” then I suppose you could “strike a deal” with him.

Shoulda thought about that part before you laid on your back :woman_shrugging: you can’t make anyone do anything lol to even think a thing shows the immaturity.

Too many toxic mum’s these days.

1 Like

Children are the ones that suffer.

1 Like

You can asked him? I believe also prove that he has not contributed any time and support to the child’s life. But you have to go thru the legal process.

It really depends on the state and how the dad feels. Typically you can’t just ask for that unless one hell of a good reason which is a long process or he agrees to it

1 Like

. Drop off the papers to his house
. Send the papers to him by mail
. Take him to court and either file for abandonment or ask he sign his rights away

At the end of the day it depends on him and also a judge to decide as well.

They can’t in most states unless there is another man who wants to assume the “fatherly role”.

If the biological father WANTS to be a father though, unless they are abusive then you should not try to stop them.

Whatever your goal or reason for this step one of the legal process is hire a lawyer and ask them.

But as far as convincing a man to give up their child, why would you want to do that? Are they a danger to the child?