How do I go about starting my daughter on milk?

My daughter is turning one this month; I wanted to hear from diff moms about how they went about starting their kids on milk? She’s always done Similac Sensitive formula. A lot of ppl tell me to start her on milk now, but I honestly wanted to maybe start on almond milk… any mommas got any advice?

12 Likes

Talk to your childs doctor an see what they say. Bc if she is on a special formula she may not be able to handle milk an may need a milk based product

1 Like

I would begin with 75% formula and 25% milk, start decreasing the amount of formula used until you are just giving them milk. Be careful with almond milk, it’s not that healthy and nutritious for kids. Not all are created equal.

4 Likes

I started with mixing regular milk with formula and my daughter used Similac sensitive as well. The first day I did 2 oz regular milk and 4 oz formula for about two days than I did 3oz regular milk and 3 oz formula for two days, and than I did 4 oz regular milk and 2 oz formula for 2 days than I did all milk

3 Likes

My daughter had to use hypoallergenic formula and I starting mixing milk into her formula at 1yr old for maybe a month or so just to make sure she could tolerate the milk. I slowly increased the amount of milk and decreasing the formula until it was all milk! She just turned 2 and has done completely fine on regular cows milk!

1 Like

So I had to start my oldest on almond milk because his tummy didn’t agree with milk until he was about 14 months.
I started with 2oz almond for every 8 oz bottle (so 6oz formula)

Have food allergie testing done… especially if she’s already sensitive

1 Like

My daughter was on similac sensitive also and when she turned one wic put her on whole lactaid milk an shes been doing good with it.

1 Like

I mixed whole milk with her aluminum formula but becuz she was on a lactose free formula I used lactose free whole milk by fairlife. I just milk 50/50 then more whole milk than formula till it was just milk.

We dont drink milk here, it’s not necessary so dont stress over it. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

An ounce at a time per bottle,per week to see how her tummy adjusts.Until you have completely switched over to milk. 2nd week two oz, third week 3 oz , etc …That’s what I did

Make sure you replace the fat 1-2 year olds are supposed to get from whole milk. If you have a WIC office near you they can give you info about it. OR talk to your ped.

I started cutting formula with milk over the course of a couple weeks.

My daughter has been drinking milk since she was 9 months but you do you momma. I would ask her doctor first about almond milk

2 Likes

Whatever you choose make sure it’s full fat. They need it for proper brain and organ development

5 Likes

Talk to her pediatrician

Don’t. It’s for baby cows :cow:

4 Likes

I had to use lactose free homogenized for my son. I started by adding 2ozs to his bottle to see how his tummy would react. After a week with no reaction I added another 2ozs did that for a week until he was on a full milk bottle. Only thing I found with my son was he liked the formula warm but once he was on just milk he preferred it cold.

If she has been on a sensitive formula you need to slowly mix milk into because she may also have a sensitivity to milk I would do skim or 1% see how she does but I wouldn’t use a nut based milk incase of nut allergy

My daughter is 16 month’s old I started her on milk at 12 months just like an ounce at first dont stress tho just make sure it’s full of fat.

The way I weaned mine was half milk and half formula mixed together. After 2 weeks of that I did 75% milk 25% formula. Another 2 weeks later it all was milk.

3 Likes

I put my son on almond/coconut milk mix original. Humans aren’t made to consume cow’s milk and my kids have always reacted poopily to dairy and dairy products

1 Like

I would honestly start with toddler milk first… that’s what we did with my granddaughter than we slowly started introducing regular milk

Milk isn’t necessary as long as they are eating a balanced diet! It can be harsh on babies tummies, especially if they are on a sensitive formula. Do some research, and make a decision that works for you!

1 Like

Then we progressed to limited bottle time to wean off that to sippy cups all the time not just for juice.

We mixed in milk with formula every week. So first week use 2oz of milk and 6oz of formula if she drinks 8oz for example, add 2oz of milk every week until it’s straight milk. Our daycare does this and it’s been a breeze with both my kids.

3 Likes

Cows milk is not even healthy for you. Period. It does not make “our bones strong”. PLEASE research it.
I do almond milk with my babes.

1 Like

Vitamin D milk for a couple years I did for my son.

1 Like

Just be careful if you’re gonna use Almond milk. Many are full of chemicals like carragheen that are really badd for you. Carragheen is a known inflammatory agent you have to be really careful with it. Just use organic milk it’s much better

1 Like

Mix some milk with some formula to start out. Gradually decrease the formula as time goes on… my daughter will take a cup of milk now without the formula. My mom started doing it at her house (when I was workin) and she said it’s been an easy transition. If the tummy gets too upset maybe try almond milk if you’re that worried about it.

Just switch on over wen she is 1 years old

I just started giving my kids milk in a sippy cup around age 1. Worked fine for all 3 of my kids.

I always gave me kids snacks like yogurt or something with milk in it starting at 9 to 10 months then little bit of milk with breakfast and lunch in a cuppy.I am curently starting this with my 9 month old and she loves it and no tummy issues or anything.My oldest is 22

1 Like

Mix one ounce of whole milk into her formula. Increase one ounce a week.

My baby is now 16 months and she was on the same formula your little one is on and we switched a week after she turned one and haven’t had any issues. Make sure it’s whole milk.

1 Like

Most formulas can go into toddler stage and would be a lot better for her :slight_smile:

We switched my daughter over at one. The doctor suggested We dont do it slowly just went cold turkey and she did great with it. No issues at all.

We were on a hypoallergenic formula from 4M-12M. He was BF before. We put him on (still on) Original Ripple milk. It’s a pea protein milk. We started with mixing 1oz Ripple milk with his formula and added more within a 2 week process till it was all Ripple milk. No issues at all!!! He loves it and I personally feel better giving him this then cows milk :woman_shrugging:t2: again my own opinion!

1 Like

Please talk to her doctor,. So many kids have allergies today

Do oat milk , never cows :nauseated_face: and ease her on it don’t fully switch

Soy milk, not almond milk. Ask google. Also, you can make up some formula and the add an equal amount of milk, or soy milk. I started my son on whole milk added to his formula but it upset his stomach, he would cry 20 mins or so after a bottle. A few weeks of this and we changed him to SOY milk. He takes unsweetened soy milk great with no crying afterwards. You can use Almond milk as a substitute in cereal.

I wouldn’t bother with the almond milk there’s no real research that it’s any better than cows milk I would switch over to whole cows milk if that doesn’t agree maybe speak to a dietician about an alternative only u know what’s best for your baby everyone thinks they know the best but it’s ur baby ur choice good luck x

2 Likes

My son was on soy formula but when he turned one I started to give him vitamin D milk and he handled it pretty well he never really could tell the difference in my opinion.

My kiddos didn’t have any dairy issues so I just started straight away giving whole milk at one when ever I ran out of formula!

I honestly just started him with a little bit of milk in his sippy and he transitioned just fine

1 Like

I always recommend that you put a little milk in with the formula after several days add more ECT . pretty soon it will basically be milk in the bottle and she got use to the taste / change a little at a time …now is also a good time to use a sippy more often

1 Like

I was always told by my dr to do whole milk at 1. Whole milk has fat in it for developing brains.

2 Likes

Just switch her. Try regular whole milk vitamin D. If she has a sensitive stomach, try Lactaid whole milk. My daughter had the same problem. I tried almond milk but she is allergic.

1 Like

I introduced 1 a day for couple days then 2 for couple days. For like a week before switch

I did half formula (mixed) and half milk. By day 3 she was in all milk. I would also warm it a little by putting the bottle in a glass of hot water for about 5 minutes

I did half formula half milk to start then started doing less formula until it was all milk

Almonds are tree nuts and she can be allergic. Try something different.

1 Like

I started replacing an ounce of formula with an ounce of milk about a month before my son turned a year old. Each week I would take out another ounce of formula and replace it with milk and did that every week until it was nothing but milk.

I started my youngest 2 on 2% and offered it in a sippy (about an inch). When they had no adverse reaction I gave them a little more.

I always did half milk and half formula to start to adjust the tummy to it around 9-10 months and as they progress slowly do more milk than formula…

I just switched my baby. I did 75% formula and 25% milk. 50 % formula 50% milk 25% formula 25% milk then 100% milk

I tried almond milk
My daughter did not like it
Slowly started mixing whole milk with her formula and eventually just whole milk
Never had an issue

Ask. Your. Pediatrician. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

I kept my little one on formula for a year and put him onto mile and no problems he loves it

I use Toddler Nutrition Milk by Gerber ages 12-24 months as a her milk. My child did not do well on whole milk.

I just gave my kids cow milk and never mixed anything they took it

My son has a dairy allergy so I weened him off Nutrimigen formula 2oz at a time with Ripple Pea Beverage. Within 2 weeks he was strictly on the pea protein beverage. He loves it!! Honestly we’ve gone 15 months without giving him dairy…not even sure I want to at this point! Tolerance test is in September provided it’s not cancelled due to covid 19!

We used similac sensitive for my first daughter for the first year. The formulas with lactose seemed to make her vomit, but I think she grew out of it as she got older. I tried to switch her to cows milk before I did anything else. Slowly. Like a 1/4 of a bottle cows milk and the rest similac sensitive, then a 1/2, 3/4, until the whole bottle was cows milk. Took one month did each in one week increments and it worked out good for her.

I did little milk and formula mixture and slowly increased the milk now they my twins have mostly milk during the day and at night the milk and formula mixture, however I used the last of the baby formula I was using Kirkland brand for 0-12 mths and bought the enfamil 12-24mths formula and that’s what I using now, I started full enfamil and just added milk. I started them when they were 13 mths they r now 16 mths and pretty much converted

Almond milk tastes awful

Cows whole milk will give her the nutrients she needs which is why it’s suggested when moving kids over from formula. But honestly if you can find an almond milk with the same nutrient and vitamin content as whole milk I think it would be a fine substitution. by 10 months my kiddo was on whole milk and solid food he started gobbling down any real food he could get by 6 month and he switched over to real milk and real food like a champ. I hope your little one is just as easy when it comes to making the switch and congrats on finally being able to stop buying formula! Lol

My daughter was on a special formula. I started with lactose free milk for some reason she started have rashes with that so we then went to almond milk. She is now 2 and since she was 1 she barely drinks milk it’s just not her thing. So I feed her foods that she gets from not drinking milk.

Our son had to have special formula for being lactose intolerant. He drinks whole lactose free milk now. I also give him small amounts of dairy so hopefully his body will adjust so he isn’t intolerant anymore.

I switched by add a little milk with formula and then slowly phasing it out. I do know that they use to have a type of formula for 1 and over my son had issues with food allergies so I used that for awhile.

I did almond milk and still do and that’s after breastfeeding and what not. The almond milk is easier to digest I think and gives less issues like ibs

I made my kids throw the bottle away and mixed formula into whole milk for idk a week or 2 and the less formula eat day

Cows whole milk. I just gave it to all four of mine on their first birthdays

Goat milk is easier to digest if they have any sensitivity.

I ditched bottles and went straight to sippys with milk.
2 birds, 1 stone.
They didn’t mind at all.

1 Like

just try it an see how it goes.

You know there is so many ways of doing this you need to talk to your babies dr and if you dont like the ideal sge suggest carry her for 2nd opinion. But here is mine my son when he was a rolly polly at about 8ths he was done eating from table light stuff like rice gravy ,veggies,taters, mc and cheese ect… he drank a cup sippy of milk at breakfast and one after supper with a snack that was whole milk the dr said at 8ths he was huge to throw the bottle away . My little girl was a whole new ball game she got very very sick at 3mths old could not keep anthing in we where amitted to hsp with ivs and for about 4 days no bottle of anything so that Day the came by and told the nurse to mix ceral and apple juice or water up and spoon feed her so all day that what we did cause she didnt know how to eat i was scared she was straving so i got her a bottle poked a big enough hole in it for the thick food to come out and she was taring it up and the dr came in chewed me out and through it in garbage he said no more bottle ever im like she only 3mths old he said im telling you she can not digest fast ect… so at 3 mths old no bottle and she began to eat real table food i sit and fed her slow and had her a glass little like a jar but very little to put her milk in and help her drink it and same with water and juice so i did talk to other ped. And they said that is what need to be done and then that got me thinking in old days they did not have baby foods and baby stuff diappers wipes ec… they either breast feed or goat or cow milk then after about 3 mths they broke out the biscuits and gravy oatmeal real food so between you and your dr and baby you cant go wrong

Milk is good for baby do a bottle a day or half a bottle they need the calcium and almonds milk doesn’t have that or much vitamin d don’t think. My daughter gets rice milk too.

U can even start it in sippy cups and tell her look big girl like momma and she might really like that, if that doesn’t work just try about 100ml day to start out with with formula :slight_smile:

I would be very careful starting her on almond milk, I started my daughter on it then gave her regular milk for a little bit and the next time I gave her almond milk she got extremely sick, and long story short she is allergic to almonds. NOT SAYING IT HAPPENS LIKE THAT WITH ALL BABIES but I was told it could have been from giving her them before 2. Some foods if given to before 2 can cause them to develop an allergy to it. She is severely allergic to almonds now (shes 6) and she used to drink almond milk all the time, she had cows milk to we just did both but we went a couples weeks of only cows then when we tried it all happened. But regardless of what kind of milk, start by doing half and half bottles before going straight to milk/almond milk. Half formula/bm half milk/almond milk, it will be easier on the babies stomach and will help keep from making the baby constipated

Mine did half and half for a while then a lil less… he still has 1oz formula and 4oz cows milk. I wait until his stool gets normal again(a little constipated). We have been slowing gradually for pretty much a month.

My son was on the same formula. A week before he turned one I honestly just went ahead and switched to whole milk after I used all the formula I had left and he loved it.

My daughter projectile vomits any milk based formula. She’s lactose intolerant. I feel we will most likely do soy or almond milk when the time comes.

It starts with a bottle of whatever milk u choose watch how she drinks it she may not but make it the same temp as the milk she drinks now just replace with the milk u want to switch her to both of my kids did fine with cow’s milk but if u are doing almond milk it should be fine

I did a taper off formula to milk first week i did 75% formula and 25% milk second week i did 50/50 and the third week i did 75% milk 25% formula

3 Likes

My son was on the sensitive formula as well I tried all type lacose almond until he only like nestle nido lactose has all the vitamins formula after that he drank all types I still mix it from nestle formula milk to whole milk for him to get his vitamins.

It’s all up to the baby’s really

I gradually changed the milk ounce by ounce and now he is on full cows milk.

My twins were so easy, I stated with half milk, half formula they had no issues so within a few days they were drinking just milk. But all babies are different

I did the Similac grow and go they can drink it up to 36 months

Whole milk is better for her at 1 if her stomach can handle it

I started off adding a little milk to the formula bottles then just kept adding more and more milk till they were all milk

I got a small bottle and started that my youngest had to use the transition stuff

I did half BM and half cow milk at the beginning then went to all milk.

My babies were on soy formula then just switched to cow milk don’t use almond milk try soy if your worried

Try your idea but give her things with vitamins too.Cereals

If she’s sensitive give her almond milk. My kids are on it, except for my 6 month old who’s still nursing. But she’ll be on almond milk when she’s old enough.

Whole milk is what they need for their body’s to grow I started by doing 3/4 formula 1/4 milk to 1/2 formula 1/2 milk to 1/4 formula 3/4 milk to just whole milk.