How do I navigate being a single parent?

I was in your situation with two kids. I just thank God I found a sitter who took my kids at 1:00 am. I worked from a 2 am to 4:30 pm 6 days a week.

1 Like

Donā€™t know what state youā€™re in but a lot of counties will help with daycare fees if you donā€™t make a lot of money. Good luck.

Unfortunately you have to find a job that accommodates you being a parent. Not easy because Iā€™ve been there. I found that waitressing gave me the money and time ( hard work) and try to live near someone that you trust to take up the slack when you have an emergency. God Bless you

1 Like

Maybe the school might know of other single-moms in the same situation? Perhaps you could all form a support team to help each other out?

I had to sign up for state assistance to pay for child care. And I had to work 9-5ā€¦ baby area wouldnā€™t stay open passed 5:30 but the big kid area stayed open until 10.

1 Like

You may have to look for another job which I know is not easy either. You should qualify for some babysitting assistance through your social services to help pay for it. Itā€™s not easy but you will always find the strength for your child to make it all work. Itā€™s always ok to reach out for help

1 Like

Itā€™s hard work me personally I had to put my children first and I couldnā€™t work so I could be around for the. It was hard having no money but the children had me. My son also has asd and adhd so he got kicked out of every club he went to. This made it twice as hard. It was hard watching other parents working and having nice things I couldnā€™t give my children but there teenagers now and thereā€™s a light at the end of the tunnel and itā€™s got a bit easier

2 Likes

Make mom friends and switch of baby sitting

Specifically ask the school counselor for help. They have local resources.
Ask churches for help.
Look up things under military programs - military has weird hours too but most programs arent restricted to military use. (Theyā€™ve been my greatest assest.)
Go to the YMCA/YWCAā€¦ they have child care services as well as help for payment at local facilities and can sometimes even cover the cost.
Go to local colleges and ask if they have programs. They may have daycare programs or teaching assistant programs, etc, that can help with childcare and lower rates.
TALK TO YOUR EMPLOYERā€¦ if they see you as an asset they will try to work with you. If your manager doesnt help, go to HR directly and see what can be done.
Start a GoFundMe if you have to.
Look for local child crisis care services programs (not CPS) - it sounds scary but the goal is to keep kids out of crisis situations so they will help massively, in anyway they can.
Look for local services that help pay utility and rental bills to give you a chance to save some money while you get back on your feet. Start by asking the school. Keep tabs on the local news and other outlets so that you no when programs are available you can apply for.

Government services are availae but there are many charities available as well that have different requirements and regulations, which can be just as beneficial if not more so.
Look into financial counseling. Sometimes you get more benefits by simply showing the effort. They may be able to refer you to programs that can help that you wouldnt have otherwise thought of. (You can start at local banks and see what they know and if they have any places they can reffer you.)
Try job fairs. Not only do they offer potential job connections, but there may be programs there that you can utilize in one way or another.
Look at community resources like playground and libraries, etc for postings that may help.

Above all else, put your pride aside and do whatever you need to do for your baby. You will be grateful that you did in the long run. Temporary assistance is there to help you get back on your feet in hard times, and there is no shame in accepting it when it is available.

And TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. Being a single mom is super hard and having little support makes it worse. Make friends wherever you can. And relax often, with your child. Go to the park. Make friends with the kids and their parents. Have play dates and get creative. Dont be shy, or afraid to build your own support network/community. You need it and deserve it, and there are plenty of other people who do as well.

There are parenting apps, and playdate apps and all kinds of things. Like I said, get creative because the services are out there, they are just hard to find. But Iā€™m sure you can and will. Stay strong!

3 Likes

Iā€™m a solo mama to two under three with little to no support. I FEEL YOUR FEAR!
I applied for a daycare grant through dcyf and they just paid for both my babies (2.5 and 16 months) to start going to early head start.

I found a single parents group and for a minute was babysitting for another momma there, maybe thatā€™s an option?

Iā€™m so sorry for your stress and pain, if you need anything even just to vent or find other resources please feel free to message me anytime!! :white_heart::white_heart:

1 Like

You can do it because your kids need you to be strong, you are a strong beautiful independent woman who can overcome anything you put your mind to, and slowly you will create a village to help. Family isnā€™t always your village, church, school, mom groups will often serve more of a support system than your childrenā€™s father and or family.
There are programs out there that help pay for child care so you can go to work, ask for government assistance until you get on your feet.
You got this!!! :muscle:
Weā€™re women we can do anything!!!

1 Like

Idk where you live but around here everyone is hiring and looking for employees. Maybe try to find a job with better hours.

1 Like

Have you checked into daycare assistance through your state? They might be able to cover some of the costs. Also call 211 or go to 211.org and they may have some other resources.

I know it sounds harsh but can you change work hours or get a new job with hours that would work around daycare. As others stated, there should be state assistance for daycare. WIC, food stamps, housing. Use anything your income qualifies you for.

1 Like

If you are working nights you can apply for ICCP and find a daycare to take them 6-2 while you sleep, Iā€™m a single momma to 3 kids and one on the way and I have no support system itā€™s extremely rough but you got this

What city are you in ? Depends on the info that may or may not be helpful but honestly changing your career. Might be best

I have a huge shoulder if you need one to cry on or vent. Sometimes you just need to get it out and hopefully view things in a new perspective. Good luck. You can create a support system on here. Everyone knows someone who knows someone networking is a beautiful thing. You got this Momma!!! No worries everything will be okay even if it is a last minute thing. You will be okay šŸ™‹

3 Likes

You just do it. I did it with 3 kids and 2 jobs.

1 Like

Find another job hun. Ive ad to leave jobs I absolutely loved over scheduling issues. Itā€™s tough doing it alone. You sacrifice a lot in the beginning but youā€™ll get a routine and back on track I promise. My advice is look for a waitress job. Cash daily just remember your paycheck is low so save what you can always. Most places are willing to work with most schedules when your upfront about it. You can hit me up anytime if you ever just need to vent or want some advice outside the box. No judgement on my part. Iā€™ve been there hun

1 Like

Youā€™ll need to change your hours to fit your childā€™s needs. Have someone in case they have sick days. Or move closer to family that can help.

1 Like

See if your state has a child care program to assist financially, take the ex to court to assist financially, find another job with better hours, ask current employer for better hours, in home day care providers

2 Likes

Iā€™m in Australia but I was in a similar situation. I found my babysitter through one of my work colleagues at the time. Maybe try your local high school or college

You will definitely have to find a job during the day. Iā€™m a single mom for 14 years. I would love to work an evening shift but even now she is 15, i still need a day shift so Iā€™m home in the evening.
Utilize all assistance programs you can. No shame in it when you got littles to raise on your own. It is hard, but you can do it.

7 Likes

Where do you live? Maybe somebody on here can help. I am a single Mom of 4. Been that was for almost 10yrs.

1 Like

Start a daycare work from home ???

1 Like

Moms always find a way. Deep breath, you got this.

Explore more work options, and look into state funded daycare programs.

5 Likes

What state are you in?

Ive learned to work around my sonā€™s school hours. I straight up told me my GM Im a single mom and these are the hours i can work.

2 Likes

Sounds like youā€™ll have to be the best Mum & make a sacrifice for your child.

Is your child father dead? Is he deemed not competent to care for a child by a professional? Otherwise he should be the First person you seek help fromā€¦his responsibility too. Too many people wanna claim being a single parent and it turns out they just refuse to coparent and itā€™s absolutely frustrating.

7 Likes

Start your own daycare. :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

I had to find a job at our local ymca cause my son could go with me then while he was at school I worked at the dollar tree and if I had to work weekends or closing my mom watched my son for me and my other job also so I had 3 jobs at one time four hours (split shifts one at 8 to 10 am & one at 5 to 7 pm) at the ymca then dollar tree I worked from 10 to 4ish then after my second shift at the ymca I went to my third job till abt 10ish at night. So trust me you can do it.

2 Likes

Might be difficult but get a shift change or find a job with a schedule that fits your schedule. A job where you can get off on time to pick up the kid from after school programs.

I had 2 girls while I was single. Took 3 jobs to give them what I felt they needed.

At the start it was really hard. Constantly juggling sitters and losing side jobs because they fell through.

What I learnedā€¦ good care is expensive. Anyone I could find that wasnā€™t, I wouldnā€™t leave my girls with.

Eventually it gets easier. Work as much as you can on learning a trade or getting an educationā€¦ it is the only real ticket to independence

Get on state assistance if you donā€™t make a lot. I make $2k more over what the limit is so even though Iā€™m a single mom of two kids I donā€™t get anything. My entire check goes to childcare. I have a friend that watches them. $25 an hour average 5 hours a day. You will make it work for your child. Somehow we just do it

1 Like

Reach out to the school or join the school Facebook page and ask on there

1 Like

As a fellow mum who has been single, moved two/four hours away from all family to start a life and have children only to have it come crashing down and realise Iā€™m on my ownā€¦ I only ever applied for jobs that were 9-5. I made my availability clear to all employers and kept my children at the top of my list. I still have no support system, but I feel it makes me somewhat a superhero. Haha. I personally wouldnā€™t take the job, and Iā€™d keep searching for something that fit in to my schedule. My job since I started has changed hours so much itā€™s ridiculous, itā€™s definately worth having something thatā€™s set in that time frame and has no room to change it. Good luck xx

1 Like

Find a job that works with you being a single mom.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do I navigate being a single parent? - Mamas Uncut

2 Likes

Not sure where your located but I feel your anxiety. I have to toddlers my husband works nights and I have no support system. Iā€™d like to go back to work but daycare is ridiculous amount of money it is hard girl stay strong.

1 Like

Try finding some services offered by your town or city. You didnā€™t say how old they were. I know youā€™re overwhelmed but try to work within the services you can use.

Sometimes the school has resources or knows someone who is willing to help.

I had to change jobs even change my kidā€™s school so i dropped him off on my way to work and picked him up. I met awesome people who kindly offered to keep my son after school and drop him off when i got home and in turn i shared whatever i cooked with them. They had 2 younger boys in the same school as my son. They were j u st amazing and they treated my son like their very own. I was or we were so so very lucky.

1 Like

I used to do daycare 24/7 and stopped doing it because people donā€™t pay. Thatā€™s why itā€™s hard to find them, plus the expense of being licensed, then parents not showing up when they was supposed too.

2 Likes

Not sure what kind of job you have, but with so many places hiring have you tried to find something that has better hours? My granddaughter is working for ā€œNavy Federalā€ at home. I believe they are still hiring. H.S. education will get you in the door. Her hours are 8:00-4:30.

Check with the county welfare. I have friend whose husband died. She gets help from the state for child careā€¦depends on your income. Also medicade.

1 Like

Depending on how old your child is, have you tryed looking into child care assistance program (CCAP) in your area?
I understand completely, Daycare and nanny are so expensive. I applied to CCAP, it it helped me find care I need and the financial support as well. The program will help you step by step.
Maybe try connecting your child school and ask if they can provided you with some information.
Good luck. You are doing GREAT as a mother, keep up the hard work. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Not sure about your state, but in Tennessee they have a program called Families first and they will help pay for daycare. Maybe your state has similar program. Itā€™s through the same dept you go to for child support amd food stamps.

1 Like

You dont indicate where the father of your child/ren is. Is he close? Iā€™m assuming youā€™re divorced or soon to be. Either way childrearing isnā€™t solely the mothers responsibility, have dad watch HIS child during those times. Apply for child care assistance through whatever state youā€™re in. If you arenā€™t receiving child support, contact Friend of the Court so they can get the support your child deserves. Put an ad in a high school newspaper or website advertising that youā€™re looking for part time help. Figure out what you can pay & you might find someone who wants to work a couple hours a week. Get to know your neighbors. Do any of them have kids who need childcare part time? Barter with them. Offer to watch their kids during your off times if theyā€™ll watch yours. Its all about networking. Meet people! Get to know them. Everyone has something to offerā€¦everyone. think outside the box & remember, a year from now, this, right now, will seem so inconsequential. Good luck.

Several options:
Network with other parents and trade babysitting.
Join the largest church in your area that has a reputation for helping ministries. You might find occasional emergency babysitting there.
Change jobs. Find something with regular hours or do daycare in your home for other working families.

2 Likes

I used to be in the same boat. I used to work in retail ofcourse crazy unstable hours. Store closes at 10 and no one to take care of my daughter past 5 so I just ended up switching jobs. An 8-5 job that has the same daycare hours. Thatā€™s the only thing that work for me.

2 Likes

Just pray and you will see miracles happen because God works in mysterious ways. Everything will fall in place, it will be hard but donā€™t give up. I am a single parent too, I too was like you so worried in the beginning but God never gave up on me. I donā€™t know your circumstances but He will give you the strength and the means to go on if you ask.

10 Likes

There are several government programs that help out single parents with financial help to working parents. So I would check out social services and community churches they always have special programs that may help you out . if you have a family member that can alternate with your babysitter on your difficult schedule.

I had to quit working and become full-time carer for mine that have autism itā€™s hard not impossible tho I too have no support at all!!

How about a child care Co op, find neighbors who also need child care, I will watch you children Monday if you watch mine Tuesday

Some very wonderful ideas. Maybe an older person in your church can help you out with some child care. In years past I helped out a couple of families with child care that included taking kids to school and picking them up. I was repaid by odd jobs that I had done. Win, win. God blessed us all the way around.

10 Likes

Where do u live how old are your children im retired and looking for a little extra money

6 Likes

Hi :wave: how got this girl ur support system is the nearest church around u and u asked for help on this platform and even God has seen ur heart today u can and u will overcome. So donā€™t give up.

I am a single mom myself with no support system. The best thing you can do is meet other parents. Offer to help eachother out. Just make sure you trust them.

6 Likes

When I was in your shoes I called some churches and they were all willing to get someone to help me out.

4 Likes

Boys and Girls clubs can be an answer as they are open latterā€¦donā€™t know childā€™s age. Ypu may need to switch jobs. God bless and good luck.

It may be better for you to stay at home Mom and do babysit other children, as you know how expensive it is ,so at least you would get paid for that,3 to 4 kids ,it is not an easy job, even after school etc.

1 Like

Find a parent to pick up your child from the after school program and keep them til you can get home. They can use a bit of extra money and your monthly child credit should cover it.

1 Like

Find yourself a retired grandma like myself whose not in it for the money so much as the love and companionship of a youngin around the house.

Many have askedā€¦what town are u in and how old is your child.

1 Like

You dont work those hours. I have not been able to work full time all summer. Eating away at my savings. It is the tag we wear. Sucks but that is our reality

I will keep you in my prayers. It is hard been a single mom. Been there. But I had family to help me.

I was a si glen parent in the military 40 years ago. Itā€™s not easy but there are other single parents out there. Become part of a group or grow your own. Cooperative child care saves a lot of money and sanity. Best of luck.

1 Like

Maybe Churches, do you have any friends? Neighbors that provide childcare?

Find other single mums and have each otherā€™s back ā€¦ Only way I survived solo parenting

Do you qualify for social assistance?

Depending on your job. I had to take my daughter to work with me.

Take your child to work with you!

You may have to get a different job

I became a school bus driver. Loved the hours

Look for child cares with extended hours and go off your income

Get a roommate that can take room and board for childcare

1 Like

Some churches have programs to help.

what town do you live in

1 Like

What city do you live in

Try to find a live in or a granny with time to spare

Maybe your church has some kind of daycare

YMCA or YWCA, Boys and Girls Club, churches

Call your local dept of social services in your city/countyā€¦

Being a single parent who wants to retain there job n have ni child minding carers is difficult in itself ā€¦Childcare services n babysitters only cater for small windowsā€¦society is now working around the clock
Any chance of speaking with your employer n see if they can accomodate you with flexi hours or working from home its hard to offer advice when one only has a snippet of your picture

I had to quit a decent job for childcare when it was available

I would find a church daycare

Thatā€™s why your getting 250.00 a month per child is to pay for child care! Thatā€™s whatā€™s itā€™s for. Even more if your child is five and under.

Do you have friends who could help?

There are many programs that pay all or part of childcare for single parents.

2 Likes

Set up the babysitting now so itā€™s taken care of until you can find someone to trade babysitting with, a neighbor or get a roommate with a child and facing similar issues. You can help each other. Apply for child care assistance. And talk to your employer. After you have the first week or two under your belt, about flex time and schedule. Dont know how many hours you are talking about, but maybe a senior or mature teen if only a few hours have to be covered. Also talk to social services. They want you to work, so they will work something out. Good luck. Itā€™s hard and you gotta suck up a lot and be tough. Praying for you in this minute.

Check with your local department of human resources. There are programs that will help pay for a childcare provider/daycare for you.

Change jobs
Go to work for School system
Cafeteria

Where do you live, what area?

Check into Boys and girls club

1 Like

Call 211 and ask for resources. They will be able to give you numbers to places that Maybe able to help you.

Been there , done that. Pray.

Pray and ask God to guide you in the right directions

Start a home day care.

Find a friend or friend of a friend or coworker in the same situation and trade off babysitting is my best suggestion