How do I politely address my loud neighbors?

At 5 when he leaves turn speakers to ceiling and Blast AC/DC on a loop. Leave for a day trip… it works.:wink:

1 Like

Record the noise and give it to the police

Is there a landlord you can consult pertaining to this situation.

Go tell them your husband has to be up at 4am for work n your children have school and if possible could they tone it down because you hear them until 3 am! If not can you buy fans n have them close to your husband n children just face it away from kids n hubby!

Other ideas: Ask what is between the floors. Might not be up to code with soundproofing. Do you have a carpet provision for a certain percentage of floors to be covered? Sometimes good carpet & padding can help with noise control. You could suggest it to the upstairs neighbors or the landlord/lady or management company.

Maybe gift them all with well padded slippers.

I would mention this to your property manager. They could talk to your neighbors. People are supposed to be considerate of their neighbors when living in an apartment. It sounds like your neighbors don’t care or don’t realize how loud they are.

Try to find out if the child has any medical reason to be hyper active maybe make friends with them then offer some help and advice on how to calm the child down at night useing your own children and how you calmed them down maybe if you show some kindness and a bit of under standing they will listen to you and be a bit more queit

The kiddo might have special needs. My son was like this. Especially when he was 2-3 years old. His tantrums were very bad & he literally never slept at night. I would go talk to the parents first before going to the property manager.

1 Like

Call the cops and file a noise complaint at this point it’s harassment. I have zero tolerance for people like that

2 Likes

I would tell the complex/landlord to make an overall statement. If that doesn’t help start calling the anonymous police line.

1 Like

Leaving a kind little message (note) might worked also just knocking on the door and talking at an appropriate time.

That has worked for me

You should tell your landlord or apartment manager. You don’t have to confront them personally. I don’t usually recommend calling the cops but if your landlord don’t do anything, the cops will if you keep calling and they don’t stop being loud.

1 Like

Talk to your landlord…maybe even take your phone out and record how loud it is…and what time…
If that doesn’t work… unfortunately, move.

I would tell the property manager. Maybe they can say something. It might help. I wouldn’t want to be mean either. I’m sure they have problems, but surely some adjustments can be made.

Get some noise cancelling headphones or Air Pods. There could be a legitimate reason why the child is up until late at night. My daughter was that way until she was 2.

1 Like

Their child might be having behaviours and they are trying the best they can, I know this from experience because I am going through it but the other way around, my child is having just bad behaviours and she screams and yells and stomps and I feel so bad for the people who live above us and for the people who will soon live below us, as mush as I try to get my child to stop and be respectful to the people above us, but with children with behaviours sometimes there isn’t anything we can do in the middle of a meltdown. Maybe write a polite letter making sure you write that you understand that children make noise and let them know it’s effecting your children sleep, I feel like sending my neighbours a very expensive bottle of alcohol and a sorry letter myself!

1 Like

Send a letter to them. If that doesn’t work, file a complaint with the landlord. File complaint after complaint until something is done.

That’s how it is my neighbor stays up all night goes to bed around 5am when l get up

I had the same problem only next to me they would be running jumping banging on walls til 3am,I tried to be nice didn’t work,turned radio up at max with a system,didn’t work,so every night I called my landlord and the cops til they moved out. They were so loud I heard then through my house outside!!

I’d personally talk to them first, maybe bake a sweet treat, and give that a chance before reporting.

1 Like

i know that feeling last neighbors that moved out we have approached a couple times they didnt care or listen reported them to landlord. and had to call the sheriff a couple of us neighbors had to 7 apts. then they got evicted out after a year of complaining well almost a year and calling sheriffs evicted out in november lease would been up in march. now next new neighbor same apt samething again we approached her about it not the guy yet this is our 2nd round. think the girl got the hint its mostly fighting all day and night keeping everyone up.hoping they get the hint.

Call the landlord, respect is respect no matter where you live, maybe they need to be moved to a bottom floor

4 Likes

Report them to the Landlord, you pay rent

3 Likes

I’d call the landlord

2 Likes

When we lived in an apartment during lockdown my three year old started some problems with the brand new neighbors because she would play during the day. And they were young and slept during the day. They would pound on the floor every hour while I was working from home. This went on for a month before I had a mental breakdown and we sold everything and moved out of state to buy a house.

So my advice being that neighbor with a loud kid (though it was never at night) is to kindly approach the neighbor and ask her if she can do anything or work with you a bit. Sometimes it has to be a give and take, or maybe see if she needs anything.

Most importantly approach it in a kind matter, as a parent it can be super hard, and you never know what she is going through.

That said if they are just letting their kids be noisy for no reason or not appropriately parenting them then you may want to get the landlord involved.

2 Likes

My husband would say to wake up bright and early and blast the Barney song. Lololol. He had issues with neighbors in the past. Honestly I would reach out to the management of the building or your landlord and let them know you understand there will be noise but you expect it to be somewhat quiet after a certain time. Some places even have “quiet hours”. I wish you luck!!

2 Likes

Nothing can be done till after 11 pm take a recording of the noise and then let the neighbors hear maybe they just don’t know how loud it is for you

3 Likes

I politely confronted my upstairs neighbor for same and unfortunately it made it worse to the point I was paying rent but staying with a friend. They eventually were evicted, not sure why, but 3 months of it was hell. I would record it, send to landlord and nothing. Good luck I feel your pain. I’ll never live under someone again.

Tell your landlord if nothing tell them to keep the noise doing . They don’t care so you shouldn’t either.

1 Like

I just came over this.I played their games and called my manager a millions times, they eventually got evicted. We win

1 Like

Switch apartments maybe that will help. That’s if the landlord doesn’t do anything.

Tell them u know how it is but they need to be quite from 9 on that don’t work talk to landlord

Late at night there is no excuse for banging ect.I would definitely say something.Common courtesy for others goes a long way and some people just dont have it…say something.Theres no way i wouldnt be able to sleep in my own home.If after you do say something and they still dont quiet down report them to the landlord.

3 Likes

I. Know. !! I. Live. Near. A. Bar!! End. If. The. Night. Noisy. Patrens. Just. Tell. Them. To. Shut up! I’d. Get. A. Court. Order! Desturbance of. The. Peace

Maybe go over there and bring them some cookies or something. I know you need sleep but maybe their child as learning disabilities. Like autism, down syndrome, etc and night time is rough on them too? I’d take the time to meet them before causing to big if a scene.

5 Likes

I’d call landlord and if it keeps up I’d be loud as all heck when I know they be sleeping. If I can’t get sleep cuz you rude neither will you.

Time for a conversation. Talk to them. They may not realize that they’re rude inconsiderate jerks?? Try to be nice, before you go the the apt. Manager. Before you call the police. Good Luck

We used to live in an apartment and the neighbors next door that lived in a house (very close to apartment building) would play loud music and party almost every night till 3am so my husband sent them a legal document anonymously saying we will sue them if they don’t stop the noise and they never made a peep again. If you have loud ass kids you live on the bottom floor so when they run around it doesn’t bother anyone below you. Common sense. Also, he found the letter in Google no lawyer involved. Hehe good luck!

Maybe the kid has sleeping issues maybe they are neurodivergent my child with autism adhd and a few other things also has insomnia and is constantly moving in his sleep on sleeping meds his room is right above mine so I hear him running around but I take my sleeping meds and they knock me out and I can hear my alarm when it’s time to wake up. How about you just go up and talk to the family first

1 Like

If they & yourself are in council properties then firstly make a report then try & record all noise at night , council may ask you to document activity

Running and jumping at that hour? That indicates to me there’s not a bedtime. You must be renting. I would say something to the owner of the apartments and let him tactfully address the problem with him he other tenant.

I would just talk to them. If you go to the landlord, they’ll just get mad. Go to them yourself and be careful what words you use.

Call your front office make a complaint

There is bylaw rules quiet time 10 pm til 7 pm find out. You as a tenant have a right to quiet evening. File a compliant with the landlord you can remain anonymous. After so many warnings the landlord can take action to evict them. Sometimes being too nice doesn’t pay off, you have rights too. .

So sorry but I gotta say if I ever lived in an apartment people would hate me lol :woman_shrugging:t3::rofl: my kids never sleep but hey if someone could get these animals to be quite and sleep be my quest lol that would be my response

We have an upstairs neighbor that has a dog drops their bone it scares the crap out of you if chewing their bone it’s so loud the dog drags their crate across the floor why you are sleeping and whines all night can’t blame dog so just we just ignore it🙂

Talk to the landlord … if that doesn’t work then ask to be moved without any penalty…

Talk to management about putting you in a different apartment, or talk to them about switching apartments with you since they seem to be more of night people and then go together to management to make the change. I’ve done this in the past and it worked out perfectly.

I Can’t believe this but it’s true and I’m happy this online trading could change my life for good…Thanks once more for the effort and support you put in making my life worthwhile… God bless you Mrs, Lisa jennifer I’m really excited to be apart of this wonderful opportunity ma’am🙏reach out to her
:point_down::point_down:

I am so lucky to invest with Mrs lisa jennifer she’s the only account manager I’ve seen to be legit and also keeps to her words, I don’t really know if there are others out there. But I can tell you since i started investing with her I’ve been benefitting from her platform a lot. You can contact her and make your own profit, message her on the name :point_right: