How do I politely ask my step mom to stop telling me how to parent?

Look honestly she probably means well and by all means say her to keep her opinions to herself however its her home and her life and her boundaries that you may have over stepped by moving back in home when u are an adult… So two sides to every story.

“Thank you for believing your opinion is any of my business”

As I’ve always said :speaking_head:You can’t raise your kids in somebody else’s house! Unfortunately you have to be there but only advice is get it together and get your own.:woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

Move out and get your own place.

No newborn should ever sleep with their parents unless there is a something in place to prevent the adult from round over on them …and this has happened, As for your step mother, just maybe she is trying to give you parenting advice, in which you don’t want, So tell her nicely you appreciate her advice, but you want to do things your way, Oh & move

2 Likes

Open your mouth and say, you had your turn now it’s my turn to parent.

1 Like

My daughter and her 2 year old had to move in with me for now. I try really hard to not step on toes and to give them their space when they are giving baths or play time or whatever. Hopefully your stepmom is meaning well but parenting is such a personal thing. Maybe just ask her to sit down and talk to you and let her tell you why she feels this way. Let her know it’s hurtful and just like her when she was a 1st time mom, she had to figure out her ways and you need to be able to do the same. Cosleeping is such a touchy thing . People that don’t do think their way is right and the ones who do it think their way is right. You have to do what you are comfortable with.

4 Likes

That’s a tough situation. But honest it’s not her business. So just tell her thank you. But I got this

1 Like

Idk I get why she’s doing it, if you were to accidentally roll over exhausted one night your son would no longer be here. I don’t sleep with my son on the off chance occasionally if he’s sick and he’s 9. So not very often. She’s saving you heartache just in case really. You don’t have to like it but I do highly suggest seeing their point, and being understanding. Also I believe it creates codependency issues for children when they get older. Instead of being ok sleeping alone the may think they just need someone to fill the void in their lives of wmpty

9 Likes

Just tell her thanks for the advice but I’m going to do it this way. And I would appreciate it if you stopped talking down about how I’m choosing to raise MY child. And if she still keeps saying something take your child and walk away.

Acknowledge her and continue to raise your baby as you see fit.

2 Likes

“If I have any questions i will come to you.” You do whats best for your baby.

1 Like

You tell her to butt the fuck out. You’re the parent, make the rules!!

If you follow the safe sleep 7 you can safely bed share. I bed share with my infant twins and never once had an issue. It makes breastfeeding easier and I am aware of where both babies are at all times. My boyfriend doesn’t sleep next to them at all because he gets into a deep sleep and tosses and turns in his sleep. I track my sleep with a smart watch and I don’t ever really get into a deep sleep for more then 20 minutes a night if any at all. As mothers are bodies biological are in tune with babies, but you have to be sober and do it safely. If you can’t follow the safe sleep 7 then you should not be bed sharing as that is very dangerous. Co-sleeping is baby in the room with you and doctors recommend that for at least the 1st year.

2 Likes

I appreciate your advice,

Be blunt and tell her, I understand we see it differently but you raised your kids now let me raise mine.

4 Likes

Just be direct and set boundaries

She probably means we’ll.

But you are in her home and you have to respect some of her parenting rules and her house rules even if they trump your parenting rules.

Like if she says no drinks outside of the kitchen.
You have to follow that.

But have a nice sit down talk her with and discuss Everything open and Honest!

1 Like

That’s a lot of words in one sentence!

You’re both adults. Sit down like one and talk to her.

Just tell her mind her business dats all… tell her she did what she had to for u now let u do what u have to for her…

Moving out. If you’re grown enough to have kids, you’re grown enough to not live with your dad.

4 Likes

I literally just ignore everyone’s unsolicited advice. Like I’ll smile and continue doing what I was doing

3 Likes

Don’t ask, tell. It’s not her damn place to be telling you how to parent. You’re raising your child and doing what’s best for the both of you, she’s not.

1 Like

Also, America is so against co sleeping with the highest infant fatality rate. Ignore her

6 Likes

Either move out or tell her to mind her own business its not her child!

1 Like

Just tell her point blank this is your baby and it’s up to you to parent how you see fit

1 Like

Bed sharing IS NOT SAFE.

4 Likes

Just like that. Sit her down and say “I know your advice is coming from a place of love, but this is my child and I will parent him how I see fit”

2 Likes

Mean while step mom is posting about her struggles helping you raise the baby and saying you sleep till 1pm and baby is co-sleeping with you.
Sorry but not enough to the story to help you out here.
This is a post to cause debate

3 Likes

I slept with both my kids. My 2 year old still gets in my bed every night. It might not be safe for some but it doesn’t mean it is for all.

2 Likes

Just say! I will raise my children, you didn’t raise me right so but out! That will keep her entertained for hrs ,maybe days. She will call everyone she knows and tell them!

I’m only posting this since so many people are offering their unsolicited advice. The OP didn’t ask for an opinion on bedsharing.

14 Likes

Is there a reason your kid can’t sleep in a bassinet next to your bed?

3 Likes

I rarely co-slept with my first child and she sleeps on her own fine. I co-slept with my last 2 and it’s hard getting them in their own bed now. But that’s my only problem. If you’re okay with it, then people need to mind their business. I wish I had co-slept more with my first but I listened to everyone because I was 19.

1 Like

Just tell her to back off. Your his mother not her. Respectfully tell her to stop, you know what you are doing and what’s best for him no else does but you. I still sleep with my son in my bed and he’s one and thats because he has nightmares and is growing through a lot of growing and teething.

1 Like

Thank her for her opinions and advice and tell her you appreciate it but this is how you want to parent your child. Considering you are in their home I wouldn’t be disrespectful towards her but I would be blunt

5 Likes

Exactly why when you choose to have kids you should have your own place to raise them how you want. Living with someone when you have kids they will always have something to say.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, with co sleeping, I’m with your step mom and would voice my opinion about it too. My cousin came home one day to find his wife asleep and his son suffocated beside her on the bed, not breathing, he did not get to him on time :cry: it was the worst funeral I’ve ever been to in my life! I’d suggest you take your step moms advice. You ARE NOT a bad mom though, and you are doing your best. I would never shame you for that, but educate you on the dangers instead! Hope you guys can figure it out.

1 Like

If you’ve ever buried a child from cosleeping you will forever speak out about having a baby in your bed. I watched it destroy a family…was cosleeping and baby got underneath an arm… their lives were forever shattered

1 Like

If you’re living in my house, my rules… no cosleeping until over a year minimum. Don’t like it, move out. I’m not burying a baby in my home

6 Likes

I am so sorry for some of these comments, you’re doing an amazing job and I’m sorry you’re dealing with this

2 Likes

I hvae never coslept w any of my kids. They always had their cribs. !aybw we would have a nap once in awhile. But yea we nvr did. But maybe u should speak to them about it. At the same time. Tell them ur step n ur dad. I know when i have disagreements w my mom i talk to mybstep dad n he talks to her. I hope u work it out

I slept with all 3 of my kids from birth and now they won’t leave my bed lol

2 Likes

One way to peacefully respond to parenting criticism is to say, we both care very much about “Bobby” and I know you did things differently, but I think this is the best way for me to care for him.

2 Likes

As a healthcare professional I have to say bed sharing is dangerous for the baby and a big no. However, with regarding general parenting unless it is a matter of life and death as per bed sharing, step mom should let you do things your way, though experienced advice nor criticism can be helpful. I suggest you talk to each other calmly and set boundaries.

5 Likes

Due to an abusive situation I was in at the time, my oldest (who is now 6 and thriving) slept with me from the time he came home from the hospital until he turned 2. It was the safest situation for him to be in at the time. He still comes in bed for cuddles sometimes, as does my youngest who’s 4. Co-sleeping safely is possible. It’s none of your step moms business, I don’t care who’s house it is.

3 Likes

Just smile and nod and do whatever you want. I bed shared with all 6 of my kids. They eventually want their own space.

2 Likes

Tell her to stop cause it’s not her child and she is your step mother not biological, age can kiss your ass with her tongue hanging out it she got a problem. And anyone who says she’s not doing anything safe with her baby by cosleeping can eat and smoke a dick. You can co-sleep safely and soundly , I wish a mothefucker would tell me I couldn’t cosleep with my child, when my child is mine, we are our children’s safe haven, they are used to always be warm, always being fed and now they have been born and have to cry to get fed, or cry for a diaper change, I am my baby safe haven and I’ll be damn if i let a woman tell me I can’t sleep with my child in her house, fuck you and this house, I’m sleeping with my baby because I am my baby safe haven! Nothing less. And tell your step mother that as well!

Just tell her. She raised her kids and now you will raise yours.

1 Like

I never co slept, but I don’t bash it. If you feel you want to sleep with your kids then do what you want. Everyone on here saying it’s not good and it’s dangerous, I can’t say it’s the safest but it’s your choice. I personally think it’s time for you to get your own place. Everyone does things different with their children. You’re the mom. It’s YOUR choice.

1 Like

How about you thank her for caring about your child and realize sids and other issues are higher in risk when you choose to be lazy and put that baby in your bed instead of a safe place to sleep of its own! Would you rather her tell you I told you so when something happens anf your burying your child? Be grateful she cares! There are co-sleep bassinets be safe you wouldnt want anyone laying your baby on a couch or table unsupervised but yet a bed with pillows and blankets and moving bodies and an edge to fall of of is ok…?? Think twice save a childs life!

9 Likes

If you’re wanting to keep it civil: “I appreciate your concern but this is how I choose to do things and it works for us.” And leave it at that. Get your dad involved if she persists.
I have slept with both of mine, 4 and 2, with zero issues. Look up studies on the benefits of cosleeping and share them with her. As long as baby is happy, healthy and loved and Mama is well too, there’s no issue.

3 Likes

Letting an infant sleep with you is very dangerous! I would voice my opinion too! Babies die by suffocating!

6 Likes

If they are telling you that you are doing a horrible job I would not be polite when you say back to them not to tell you how to parent.
This is definitely a safety issue though so I think it’s good they are speaking up but they need to be respectful when they say it. People aren’t willing to hear you out when you are rude

Do this and say I got this and walk away. :joy: honestly, I have no idea what I’d say but I hope she stops bothering you!

They won’t stop 32 6 kids kids they see it as helping it does get overwhelming at the end of it all your still mama

1 Like

Ask her… would you like him to sleep with you??
Also… next time she criticizes you, ask her: how would you fo it? Every time… incessantly. Over and over. Until she gets it

I’d be removing her from my life at that point if it’s been explained enough

I like to use the line “this baby is mine. If you want one to dictate and raise, go have one of your own.” :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging: I have coslept with all my babies, they still migrate to my bed almost every night.

3 Likes

My child safety and mental and emotional health comes before anybody’s opinion my son is now almost 4 yrs old and I still cosleep I did when his father left I did when he got hurt and I did when he was born a neonate because preterm babies are more likely to die in bassinets and cribs it’s your choice mama next time some has an opinion place baby in their arms or on floor and walk away many people tend to stfu after that

I Have somewhat dealt with this. Firmly tell her to bug off about him sleeping with you. Done! Say and I don’t EVER want to hear about it again. And then disregard their opinions on that topic and do whatever you want with your baby.

1 Like

Tell her you respect her and opinion but you will parent your child as you see fit. There are safe ways and benefits to co-sleeping. I’ve co-slept with all of mine with no problems. I would also be doing all I can and work towards getting my own place.

1 Like

All 4 of mine,slept in bed with me.When I brought my.now 13 yo home,all 4 of my kids slept in my bed at the same time.I’d talk to your dad and ask him to talk to her.

Say, “get your own baby, cuz this one is mine”

3 Likes

“Thank you for the advice, but right now, I need your support by allowing me to be the parent now.”

4 Likes

Just say thank you for your opinion but I got this and move on

2 Likes

Tell her thanks, but you got this.

This is my child and I will raise him as I see fit!! Now that wasn’t hard —was it?

1 Like

Unfortunately, since you’re living with them it’s gonna be hard to get her to stop but you’ll just have to flat out tell her that you’re his mother and while you appreciate her advice, when solicited, you’d appreciate if she’d back off a little bit and allow you to parent your son in the way that works best for you and your him. Just explain to her that just because you do things differently than she may have it doesn’t mean you’re doing it wrong.

4 Likes

Bed sharing with small babies is dangerous. I almost learned the hard way. I accidentally elbowed my daughter when she was 6 weeks in my sleep and rolled on her once. Luckily I’m a light sleeper and woke up and she was perfectly fine. But an alternative if you can afford a crib or if it’s a space issue is I got one of those bassinets that kinda cradle them and sit up a little that has a seat belt and rocks. It’s very lightweight and you can put the baby right next to you

5 Likes

But to add to it. I dealt with similar and I had to firmly tell them it was my child not theirs

Concern for your baby’s safety and you’re going to b**** about it? Okay. After you move out and get your own place try googling deaths of babies from co-sleeping.

5 Likes

Listen to what she says apply what you think goes along with your parenting ignor the rest. Alot of people do the same thing just apply what works.

She does have a very valid point about co sleeping at such an early age. However it is your child. Thank her for her concern and do what you see fit. Get your own place as quickly as possible so tension doesn’t grow.

4 Likes

I had to be blunt with my mom and ex MIL. This is my child! Not yours

1 Like

Pack your stuff n live them alone, they don’t need to put up with your problem s.

3 Likes

I co slept with both of my boys from newborn, just tell her thanks but you know what to do with your child. I had to tell multiple people to back off and still do now when my boys are 5&3

2 Likes

I would say… you know I’m always open for some tips or suggestions. But on the sleeping arrangements I’ve made with (baby name) works very well for us.

I’ve had all my children sleep with me… all the weirdos attacking you on this post are just as bad as your step mother, and their opinions shouldn’t be listened to.
Quite frankly, sleeping with your infant child, especially while nursing is SO much easier.
Tell your step mother to keep her opinions to herself if she has nothing productive or positive to say.
Then you move.
Just be sure to get baby out of your bed before he’s 3… it makes transitioning into their own bed harder if they’re still sleeping with us at 3. :woozy_face::rofl::100:

4 Likes

My kids slept with me on and off all there life, it’s nobody’s business everybody ain’t the same, I understand everybody is gonna put there 2 cents in about being a parent, babies have died in the crib too, so I don’t see the problem, do you ma

My son slept with me and he’s now a healthy 6 year old and still sleeps with me nights he doesn’t feel good or just needs some extra love, everyone parents differently but you know what feels right for your child. Tell her thanks for her concerns but you prefer to keep it how it is

1 Like

My first son i co slept until he was 4. And my second i vowed not to make that mistake and he slept in his own bed until he was 2 and bom he got so sick one time and wouldnr sleep without me cuddling with him and he is 7 tomorrow and i finally got him in his top bunk bed!! But as for ya step mom it wont end until u move on your OWN! Very seldomly can u raise your children in other/older people homes. U never will meet up to their or their parents standards!! U might get some people gere and tgere that truly understand how that feels or someone who understands their position in YOUR family! As of YOUR im mean u and your children and significant other!!

1 Like

I would sum it up to something short & sweet like “hey stepmom! Not your baby! Not your problem!” Whether anyone agrees with your parenting or not no one has a right To say you are “doing a horrible job!” That’s awful sweetie I’m sorry, & if she has such a problem with you co-sleeping with your son then maybe she should buy him a crib! I mean smh she’s just being cruel! Stand up for yourself mama! She’s not being polite so you don’t have to be either! Tell her this is what I’m doing as a parent to MY child & that’s it! You don’t owe her an explanation for anything!

Tell them they raised their children and now it’s your turn to raise yours as you see fit.

1 Like

You can politely talk to her. She might not know it bothers you. Or set a plan in place to be able to support yourself. You chance biting the hand that feeds you.
Just a story for you. My sister and her husband work separate shifts. She was exhausted and rolled over causing Jace to fall between the bed and the wall. He suffocated. That was 9 years ago.

Be very honest with her.

Tell her to mind her business. From a mama that still go sleeps with a 5 year old :blush:

1 Like

Take it with a grain of salt. Sounds like she’s one of those that’s just extremely opinionated and it doesn’t matter if you speak up for yourself, she’s gonna put her two cents in. Just remember that everyone has advice, you have final say and at the end of the day take what you like and leave what you don’t and do it how you feel best serves you and your child!! She can love it or hate it, but she can’t be the momma :woman_shrugging:t3::clap:t3:

5 Likes

I’d tell her she isn’t the one who laid on that bed and gave birth, you were.

I would point blank ask her to please explain how your son sharing a bed with you affects her in any way shape or form. If she can’t come up with a reason how it affects her, I would firmly tell her than it is really none of her business. And then you will have to reinforce that every time she brings it up. It conveys that you do care about her and her needs but since this doesn’t truly affect her or her needs, she needs to butt out. As far as other comments on how you are raising your son, “This is what works for me and my son, thank you” you have to stop it as soon as it starts and makes sure she knows that as soon as you say that you are done with the conversation. Walk away whatever you need to do. It will take time she is obviously a pushy, nosy person but in time she will learn that she is wasting her time and breath with you. And she can complain to your Dad all she wants about it until hopefully he makes her shut up about it too. And I would start looking for a new place to live, no one needs that kind of toxicity.

Have a heart to heart talk , maybe she thinks she is helping you , but remember you are living in their home , good luck :+1:

1 Like

Move out and my kids did it because I worked afternoons and my husband worked days so I was easier for him to do that my granddaughter slept with her mom and my grandson sleeps with her now I see nothing wrong with it other than they take up space lol we had 4 in bed wasn’t very comfortable but we did it for yrs till they finally would go in their own beds tell her to mind her business in a nice way :relaxed:

Cheyenne’s comment seems pretty logical to me. I see both sides but bottom line is you are mom. She should respect

Better to tell her now then to wait like I did, it only causes more controversy the longer you wait. No matter how you say it or when you say it they won’t like to hear what you have to say so make it known and they can either deal with it or not. Either way you you should get it off your chest and up in the air, and any further action from there you can see if their going to respect it or not. If not I’d suggest working on moving out if it doesn’t get better. It’s only going to make you miserable and angry and those aren’t good emotions to carry while having an infant. Just know you’re not alone and many people have gone through this. It’s agitating and aggravating but know no matter what you’ll always be mom and no one can take your place, no matter how many times they like to input their unwanted opinions in.

2 Likes

“My baby … My rules. Thank you”

3 Likes

Tell her she had her chance as a mother and it’s done now so please STFU and leave you be

When my oldest was younger (like baby age), I also lived with my dad and step mum for a little bit. My then 7 month old was still in a “sleep anytime I want” type of pattern lol. At night, like 2-3am he would wake up and it would be play time. So we would have a bottle play a bit and back to sleep in a few hours. Because of this, we would sleep in till probably 9 or 10. My step mum HATED that. Always told me I needed to be up at the Crack of dawn doing my chores and getting my day started. Ya right. I told her when she got up with my baby in the middle of the night she could tell me what to do. She was the only one that felt like that. Everyone else told me I should be sleeping with my baby. So I did. Haha. Don’t let anyone tell you how to parent your child. They don’t pay for the things they need, they dont take care of them, they get no say. Personally I don’t agree with the whole co-sleeping thing, that’s just me though. You do you mama!!

I had to say " My husband did not climb on you and get you pregnant. It’s MY baby."
Being nice didn’t help, so I finally had to be rude. It got the point across.

You raised yours let me raise mine

1 Like