How do I stop breastfeeding?!

I heard cabbage leaves on your boobs helps them dry out

I sent my 2.5 year old with my sister for a week. Thatā€™s how I did it. Lol

My son stopped on his own shortly before he turned three

Have him a bottle ifhe hungry he eat

The only thing I know works is put a bandaid on it !

Hope he has his own room and bed

Let the baby decide.

1 Like

Start feeding him solid foods

Get a cow for his room

1 Like

Kari Lynn VanSteenwyk

1 Like

Following because I also need help

Put mustard on your nipples.

Weaning him wonā€™t stop him from waking up at night, you should let his dad try to get him to sleep, take turns! Of course you are exhausted. Itā€™s a lot for only you.

3 Likes

If he eats food he doesnā€™t need to breastfeed. Try pumping and serve it to him itā€™s his meal, slowly mix real milk with it so the taste is acquired. Tell him itā€™s the same as mommies milk and heā€™s a big boy now.

EDIT: since people want to get uptight and argue. 1- I never said babies didnā€™t need to breastfed or didnā€™t need breast milk
2- never said cows milk was ā€œreal milkā€
3- never said babies donā€™t need comfort!
Simply was giving a solution to the woman who posted this question whom DOESNT WANT TO BRESTFEED ANMORE!!

34 Likes

I told my son that there was no more milkies. He stopped on one side first and then the other. But when each one ā€œdried up/closed for business/whatever way you want to explain itā€ and he had finished nursing he put a bandaid on it to cover it up and ā€œcloseā€

3 Likes

Bandaids on nipples tell him boobies are broken. Worked for both kids!

3 Likes

Iā€™m on day 3 of no boob for my son and itā€™s frikin rough. I told him mommyā€™s boobies are broken. We both just cry when he cries and begs for it. Sending love your way momma itā€™s so hard to do!

8 Likes

We weaned at night time first. I had my husband go in to comfort my son instead of me. Then we took away a session a week. By the end we did a ā€œdont offer, donā€™t refuseā€ method. He just stopped on his own. The whole thing took just about 2 months.

4 Likes

Night weaning doesnā€™t mean heā€™ll stop waking up at night.
But the way thatā€™s easiest on the child is ā€œDonā€™t offer, donā€™t refuseā€

Try to distract with another method, and distract as long as possible if it works. Nurse when the distraction stops working or if it doesnā€™t work, but never offer the breast. Shorten the nursing session gradually. Offer a substitute but allow him to swap between substitution and breast. He will gradually nurse less and less, and the substitutions/distractions will become the comfort during the night wakes.

Substitute option could be a sippy cup or bottle of milk. Distraction could be rocking him (try chest to chest, his head on your shoulder and his feet behind you. Very comforting position).

2 Likes

Truthfully nothing worked with my son. I was so exhausted and frustrated one afternoon that I used a drop of Tabasco sauce on my nipple. He tried, made a face and I told him the milk went bad. He never asked again.

8 Likes

I mean I donā€™t really reccomend this, but q friend put some of that bitter nail polish on her nipples. Kid never wanted the boob again

8 Likes

My son was 22 months and we stopped completely. He wasnā€™t wanting to give it up and was waking to nurse a lot I had enough so I just stopped it took 3 days but by the end of the week he was sleeping through the night.

I stopped breastfeeding when he turned 3. I grabbed a red crayola marker and some bandaids and stuck them on my nipples, I told him I has owees, he never asked for the boob again.

I do a timer. You only get 5 min to nurse then 3 then 1 then 30 seconds. Initially I dropped the bedtime session because u no they r so tired. But thats the only one I dropped until she got use to falling asleep without nursing. First it took 1 hour and it was so hard but then it was 45 minutes then 20 and it dropped to 9 minutes and no more crying. Best of luck :frowning:

Contact a lactation consultant and/or your pediatrician. Wellness Lactation -Rachelle Markham & Associates, LLC has a FB page and a website. They do virtual consults and accept most insurance.

I think this is a personal choice. I could not breast feed my babies. They were all bottle fed and it had to be that way. When a baby starts walking they no longer need you to feed them. I am totally disgusted by some of these women who are breast feeding their 5 year old!!! THAT is child abuse!!! 5 years old is waaaaaay too old to be asking your mother for her breast!!! ANY woman that is breast feeding a 5 year old child, is doing it for herself NOT for the child!!! There is no longer any nutritional value there. 2 years old is too long. I would stop right now, this goes on much longer and you will have your five year old asking for your boob. Thats just too much!!!

Should have been done long ago!