How do I tell my sister not to forward face her baby?

How can I gently tell my sister that she cannot forward face her 6 month old? I dont wanna make her mad or offend her but i am worried fo rmy nephew…

53 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-do-i-tell-my-sister-not-to-forward-face-her-baby/21434

Children’s safety is more important than “not wanting to make someone mad or upset them”.

11 Likes

6 month old?..
Just tell her. Show her the research and facts. 6 months is just insane.

1 Like

Car seat safety is NOT a choice. You need to be nice but be upfront about it.

6 Likes

Explain to her it’s a safety precaution and you would rather her be safe than sorry. Not to mention if she gets pulled over the police will tell her the same.

4 Likes

Tell her it’s the law!

11 Likes

Tag her in a video about it on Insta or facebook

2 Likes

By simply telling her, duh!

2 Likes

You just bluntly tell her thats not safe.

2 Likes

It depends on the size of the baby

2 Likes

Give her the facts, without opinion… drs say… etc!! My daughter got me up to date with my grandsons… my ultimate goal… keep my grandsons safe!! I definitely had no aggravation toward her!! Just be honest!

3 Likes

Lol I’m so comfortable with my sister that I’d be like. "R u alright upstairs sis cause that’s fukn illegal and dangerous you idiot "

9 Likes

Wow, if she gets upset because you are trying to help then too damn bad.

Call 911 and have the police tell her if you’re scared too

2 Likes

Ladies, get your noses out of other people’s business! This sister likely already knows.

5 Likes

Just be honest with her. What she’s doing is dangerous for the baby.

I would say… “hey, I’m not sure if you’re aware, but it’s actually not safe to front face your baby until at LEAST two years old. Here’s some research as to why it’s so dangerous. If you have any questions about it, I’d love to answer them for you! I just don’t want to see your baby get hurt in the event of a terrible accident.” :heart:

5 Likes

Not sure where your from but in Australia you can forward face from 6 months onwards

6 Likes

Umm just tell her, before it’s too late and you both never forgive yourselves. She will get over it, I’m sure of that, if she is worried the least bit.

1 Like

Just say it and invite her to the car seats for littles FB group

2 Likes

I’m would have been immediately shocked upon learning the baby was front facing and question her as to where she herd that was okay?

1 Like

Just tell her. If it makes her mad she has a problem. That child’s safety is more important than her being being mad… Because if she ever lost that baby due to carseat negligence she’d feel worse. I’d also suggest some good in-depth articles or searching for some stories from.people who went through it to show her. It night give her a more realistic look.

1 Like

In some states it’s a law. Just for safety reasons she should put the baby facing the rear of the seat.
Tell her the reasons. If she gets mad, she will get over it.

1 Like

You just fucking tell her. Holy shit, we are fucked as a nation when you can’t just tell a family member that they are not doing something the proper or safest and most effective way for their child’s safety!

Stop the world, I wanna get off! :roll_eyes:

Send her a link showing that’s it’s a law and tell her your worried about her getting charged with child endangerment and losing her baby if she were to get pulled over

1 Like

She might just. Not. Know… Especially if this is her first. Just say " Hey, they really should be in a rear facing seat. It is way more safe for them" Im sure you are worried about being condescending to her or telling her how to raise her child but just gently tell her. Look up the age, height, and weight for babies in your state for a rear seat and let her know. :heartbeat:

Or if you feel nervous about bluntly asking her, play dumb and be like isn’t he supposed to be facing the back? Or something to that extent like you don’t know and see what she says maybe she doesn’t know then that will open room for you to both “figure” it out

5 Likes

Well just imagine how bad you would feel of something happened to him. You need to tell her nicely how it is

1 Like

Tell her that for the safety of her baby he really needs to be rear facing. Most states have a law that babies need to be rear facing until they are at least one year old. Some states it’s even 2 years.

Tell her. Your nephew’s safety is more important than her feelings.

1 Like

Most states it’s against the law till their atleast a certain weight or two years of age

1 Like

I find it a little odd you feel
Like you can’t tell her nicely without it being a big deal. Just talk to her.

Share some info with her or send her a video and remind her how much her babies safety means to you

In Wisconsin for Instance there’s an age and weight requirement. Once the child meets those requirements then it is her call and then butt out. But make sure she at least is following legal procedures

There’s not really any “nice” response. I would’ve literally said something appalled like and told her to not turn that child or she would be at fault for anything related to injury from an accident if it happened. If that didn’t work I wouldn’t just bluntly say - Sitting that way can kill a baby.

Flat out all her why. It’s your sister.
Not to scare you, but forward facing for even a 1 yr old is too soon. If you slam on your breaks, the forward motion and subsequent jerk back and actually internally decapitate a baby. Their necks are not strong enough. ***Check the law in your state too.

4 Likes

Honestly I’d watch an accident video with her in the room about a child sitting forward facing. You gasp real loudly then say “oh my god, insert name LOOK at this!” THEN BAM You just showed proof of what happens when forward facing too soon. Then that should be a great start to open up the conversation.

2 Likes

I’m honestly surprised that you’re taking the time to ask on fb… Instead of just having told her right off when you found out… What’re you waiting for? Anyway you say it she’s going to take it however she wants to. I would’ve said something IMMEDIATELY

2 Likes

Tell her she can’t afford the ticket. And if she can to send me $300
Also cps can get involved

3 Likes

You don’t tip toe around that, you tell her that’s not how that’s done and show her, I’d never be offended if I was being told how to do something correctly for the safety of my kid.

3 Likes

You don’t. Keep your opinions to yourself

14 Likes

“Hey I don’t think you are supposed to do it that young” and then explain

1 Like

Definitely tell her!.. she should definitely not be forward facing him just yet, it’s way too dangerous. Way too young. There are videos you could show her as proof as to why she shouldn’t forward face him yet. I didn’t turn both my kids around til they were between 18 and 24 months old.

I’d just tell her and explain why. If she gets upset and still does it, at least you tried.

3 Likes

Take her to a fire station, on top of the forward/rear facing, there are other areas of safety concern to make sure are adjusted properly. For instance the shoulder straps. Rear facing they should be below the shoulder and if forward facing (when it’s time) they need to be just slightly above. It’s definitely a conversation that needs to happen, regardless of how she receives the information, hopefully she listens and corrects the problem before the baby gets hurt :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Send her resources and look up your state law and send it to her.
Who cares if you offend her? At the end of the day your nephews safety is the number one priority

3 Likes

What state are you in??? In Illinois that’s illegal. She can get in trouble if she gets pulled over.

Normally I tell people to mind their own business, but car seat safety is so important I would say something.

Approach her very kindly and not like you’re attacking or judging her. Maybe bring up that it’s illegal and she could get in trouble for it and you’re just looking out for the both of them.

3 Likes

There really isn’t a way to say it without it being taken out of context. Share the information on why it’s required. Then, remind her it’s not a suggestion, in many states it’s the law.

1 Like

Making her mad is better than something happening to your nephew. Just tell her straight out for his safety. She might not know that it’s not safe.

3 Likes

I had all mine forward facing since that age :woman_shrugging: tell her whatever but it’s her child she’s going to do what she pleases with him

10 Likes

What is forward face . I’m lost …
Too old for this one lol

Depending upon your state I turned my twins at 7 months they were 4 weeks early so I changed them on due date in September same when they were 7 outgrown booster seats September again it drove everyone nuts but they were my little girls I wanted to be :100: sure they would be ok.
Nephew was a giant outgrown capsule at 3 months upgrade to 0 4 car seat out grew by 3 had to booster seat him by 7 he was ready for the rear seat

Isn’t that illegal in most states :thinking:

3 Likes

She most likely knows, after that its not your business. She is an adult. I

1 Like

It’s the law to rear face so why be offended. Turn the kid around or report it no exceptions

1 Like

4 months for my kids :see_no_evil: times are different now though. 6 months in Australia

4 Likes

Talk to her gently. She may not know. She’s your sister, you should know how to approach her… But please approach her. :blue_heart::latin_cross:

1 Like

Maybe you could Google the laws and then send her a copy? Tell her that you noticed she was strapping her baby in facing forward and you were curious about it… so you checked it out. When you found out the law it worried you, so you sent her a copy of the law. That should do it.

Don’t be gentle let her hear seriousness of this. Get angry it’s for the baby .

2 Likes

My boys stayed rear facing till 2 my daughter I had to put forward facing before a year ( she wore 3 T clothes and had size 10 T feet)

Just advise her that on the car seat it states weight and height for safety reasons and it can cause serious damage to the child if you flip them too early

Really all you can do is be like hey sis or sister (or however you talk to her) babies are supposed to be rear faced until at least 3 years of age or x amount of weight. (Not sure exactly weight to be facing forward) and just voice that your concern about your nephew.

Add her to car seat safety groups. And share posts about car seat safety. I share posts any time I see them and half the time I make them public too. To make sure people see it.
But you should definitely also point out to her specifically the weight/height maximums for her specific seat and your states law on age for rear facing to forward facing. and maybe show or share videos of crash tests and internal decapitation.

1 Like

If you can prove it’s a law show her, if it’s not a law where you live, and you can’t tell her, there’s obviously a reason why your not that close so it’s NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, let her get a ticket or not.

2 Likes

You just tell her lol.

Tell her before she hurts that baby.

Why haven’t you already told her instead of posting on facebook🤔

You don’t need to be James Bond, she most doesn’t know she has to do it. Just say, “hey I just thought I’d let you know that… whatever the rules are for where you are in the world”. She wouldn’t be doing it on purpose, she might not be the brightest button in the box but she’s not going to endangering her her kid because she’s going through a rebellious stage after giving birth. Although if she is you’re going to have bugger issues. Lol jokes

Honestly I would lie and be like “oh my god I just saw this awful story on the news, someone had their baby front facing and it died in an accident, they are urging parents to follow the recommendations to keep babies rear facing” lol but that’s just me.

I wanted to forward face my daughter at a year until I watched some videos about it and realized I would be at fault if something bad happened to her in an accident.

5 Likes

Find a graphic video and play it for her

2 Likes

Print out the research aNd the pros and cons and give it to her.

Why are you looking for a soft way to tell her how to transport her son safely. Maybe she doesn’t know. And would be greatful that you told her.

Literally TELL HER. Tell her to talk to her pediatrician about it, call her the HELL OUT. This is dangerous, it’s life she’s putting at stake and for what??? Her own convince??? Hell nah. It doesn’t matter what drama or problems you start atleast YOU KNOW you did something to protect that baby. Educate her about it instead of degrading her, send her videos and links on why it’s dangerous. But holy shit you don’t mess around with the safety of ANY child.

You don’t. Her baby. Not yours. We all know it’s safer. But it’s not our baby is it? Mind your own

4 Likes

Just say your worried about your nephew being forward facing cuz way to young and explain it incase heaven forbid a crash N WOULD SAVE HIS LIFE
Sorry i couldn’t let u forward face bubba without me telling you but best is to keep facing backwards x

1 Like

Look at your state/country laws! In the USA most places require a certain height and weight, but I believe all states require a minimum of being 1 year old. So it is likely that it’s illegal.

Denying your child the most basic of child seat safety is child endangerment. Woman up and just tell her. My family and even friends know better around me. I will talk down to you like you’re absolutely dumb if you do that in front of me. And definitely not gonna happen in my car. :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Most car seats say rear face to one and most state laws say 2

1 Like

Who cares if you offend her. It’s your sister …you shouldn’t need to tip toe around her feelings. Besides it’s about your nephew’s safety.

1 Like

Show her some articles about it. And check the laws in the state. While some aren’t up with the times and allow it too early it’s probably later than 6 months. This has a lot of helpful stuff https://csftl.org/

Ehh … I’m very blunt…
Thats how they die in car wrecks. They die. No more baby. Dead.
Maybe morbid, but maybe it’ll sink into her thick head :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

Tell her she’ll calm down people leaving kids in hot cars dieing wish they had been told

1 Like

The seats are designed to face the backrest. Tell her she’s using it wrong

1 Like

Can you take her to the firestation so that way she can know if it’s installed properly? I know some will. She may not know to rear face her baby. I know they have to be at least 2 years old to be front facing in Oklahoma. Good luck.

1 Like

Just straight up tell her. It’s not safe at all for a 6mo to be FF. It may sound rude but I tell people that broken legs are better than a broken neck :woman_shrugging:t4:

I’m not hundred per cent sure but I do believe it is unlawful to forward face a child of that age and nearly all newborn child seats now days are designed to face the other way for safety and if you read the instructions usually say do not face forward :kissing_heart:

1 Like

After leaving My Previous Job 12 months ago, i’ve Had some good luck to Learn about this website which was A life-saver for me… They offer jobs For which People can work 0nline From their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 4 months was for $14895…
Amazing thing about is that The only thing required is simple Typing skills and access To internet…

Read all about IT Here… https://DollarsLifeStyle13.pages.dev

Use a yellow crayon, she likely doesn’t expect more from you if you struggle with little things like this.

4 Likes

Bring it up casually. “Hey sis, I saw an article the other day that said pediatricians recommend rear facing car seats until age 2. Apparently it GREATLY reduces injury to the baby in an event of a crash. Who knew, right?”

1 Like

Show her articles, laws, videos, she will understand

Just tell her, your her sister

Anything under 1 being forward fa ing is illegal and putting the child at risk.

Hey sis, I’m pretty sure you aren’t supposed to forward face him until he’s 2.

2 Likes

My sister in law sent me the car seat guidelines when I had my first. And it greatly helped me. I would suggest going that route first

3 Likes

Ha, just comment her name in this! Problem solved!

1 Like

Ummm… This is general parent education given to all parents before they can take their baby home from the hospital.

Besides,I’d think your nephew’s SAFETY is more important than your sister’s feelings :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

When it comes to safety it’s facts over feelings. What if your nephew died because of her ignorance and your lack of speaking up? You have a voice, use it. Tell her, show her, pay for her to see a car seat safety tech. Safety doesn’t care if people are offended or their feelings are hurt because it’s life or death. He will potentially DIE because she’s inadvertently putting him in harms way. Yes, people get defensive. They don’t want to be told they’re doing something wrong, but a good parent will be thankful that you told them because they want what’s best for their kids. We have a duty if we see something to say something.

3 Likes