How Do We Explain to My Fiancé's Kids That Their Mom Wants Nothing to Do with Them and Has Relinquished All Rights?

QUESTION:

"My fiancé received a text from his ex saying she was signing over her rights to the kids, and she never wants to see them again.

And she also went on to say that we needed to tell her oldest that because of her ‘lies,’ she would never trust her again nor have anything to do with her. (She is only ten btw.)

We don’t know what to do. We definitely have not told the girls this. And don’t have any intention of telling them what she said. But our eight-year-old doesn’t understand why her mother won’t come over.

My question is, how do we help her through this? How do we help both of them thought this? How do we explain what’s going on to an 8 and 10-year-old?"

RELATED QUESTION: How can I explain to my boyfriend what I am going through?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“I would wait until the paperwork is filed and stuff. Perhaps in the meantime, you can find a family therapist, and speak to them about the situation -separate from the girls- and get their opinion on how you break this kind of news to kids without destroying them? Or, if she ends up not going through with it, perhaps the therapist will still have valuable information on how to protect them while still giving mom access to the girls. Then either way you can sign the girls up for weekly sessions to discuss life and help them through this stuff, especially the 10-year-old.”

“Let them know their mom isn’t in her right mind. That she needs to seek help for herself. Let them know it’s not their fault! Make sure you all show them extra love and time. They are going to have many bad days and be patient with them. Cry with them, hug them so they know you are hiring for them as well.”

“Please do not tell them this. If I were in your shoes I would definitely get the girls in counseling to help with mom being absent. As for when they ask about mom’s absence I told my children that their dad just wasn’t in a good place in his life right now and when he gets in a better place then we would reach out. They are grown now and no he was never in a better place but once they got older we had the more honest and mature talk.”

“It’s not necessary to tell them anything yet. If mom follows through and cuts off contact, you can address it then. You just received the text last night…mom may have been drunk, depressed, etc, and feel completely different in a couple of days…”

“You don’t say a word!! Tell them their mother is going through a tough time. And hopefully, one day when she’s better, she’ll be involved. And you concentrate on showing them the love and stability they need.”

I would tell them that their mother needs help right now because she’s not in a good place in her life. And that she needs their understanding and love and patience. That you hope she’ll come back around when she’s better. You NEVER tell a child that they are not wanted, especially by their own mother. Even if that’s the case. If she’s truly horrible, they will realize that on their own when they are old enough. Good luck to you and your family."

“I would talk to a lawyer. But tell the girls that you aren’t too sure what’s going on with mommy but that they are safe with you and dad. Don’t speculate or lie. If they ask if she said anything say yes but you aren’t sure what it means so the adults have to sort it out. And then stick to that.”

“Tell them that she made some very bad decisions and is unable to be with them at this time. Leave it at that.”

“You are so blessed to be able to love these children and guide them through this trauma in their lives. Be age-appropriate!!!, and honest with them. Don’t ever lie. They need to earn your trust. Seek counseling if need be. The children are more aware of what is going on than we realize, and I am sure are very frightened. Bless you & your fiancé. Much luck with choosing the right path.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

100 Likes

I don’t really have experience in this so I feel for you. But what I will say that I think they probably already know or feel that way about her leaving. I wouldn’t tell what she has said. I would explain as best you can without using her mean words. Be there for them and allow them to talk and express themselves. Thats the best advice I can give but I am sure others will give some good advice as well.

You should just tell them that Mom moved far away and she doesn’t have a phone for now. The littles don’t need to know the negatives. You can tell them when they’re older. Save the text though so they don’t think you’re lying on their momma.

Their mom is “busy” and said she couldn’t come to whatever, but you and their dad – and any other interested relatives – have the time and would be glad to come. It’s true, as far as it goes, but you’re not her messenger and are not obliged to pass on her cruel commentary.

Eventually they will figure out that she’s broken all ties for her own motivations, so be prepared for a difficult conversation at some point.

Honestly you just love them. You keep them busy. When they ask about their mom, simply state you haven’t heard from her. Seriously… shower them in love and patience… eventually the truth will come out, and you would of done your part making them strong and loving themselves.

Sit them down and explain to them that sometimes no matter how much someone loves their child they just aren’t able to be the parent that child needs and since they love them so much they’ve decided it’s best to not be a part of their life. This may not be the best answer but its probably how I would handle it, either way the child is gonna be hurt and I couldn’t imagine not wanting to be a part of my child’s life

You NEVER tell them. You just make sure they feel loved and cared for and if they ask questions you tell them “they’re just not in a great situation for it.” Why the hell would you ever crush their hearts like that?

My daughter’s bio wants nothing to do with us. I’ve never and will never tell her. She’ll figure it out at some point on her own. My job isn’t to worry about my ex or how shitty he is. My job is to keep her cared for, healthy, happy, and love her unconditionally. She will never hear a bad thing from me about him and will never hear me tell her he doesn’t want her, regardless of how true those things are.

You don’t tell them that unless you want to hurt them!!

I wouldn’t do anything based off a single text. Once mom has legally given up her rights, then I would talk to the children and simply explain that their mother will not be around anymore.

You don’t explain it to them until they are much older, just let them know their mother loves them but is too far away to see them. Most important don’t speak bad about their mother when they are in the same building you are in, no matter how angry you are at her or they are at her. They will grow up and will realize what kind of person she is, let them form their opinions. Just be there for them and be the mom they deserve.

1 Like

Do you really have to?

How about getting in touch with the mother first and talking to her face to face? I wouldn’t trust any texts.

4 Likes

Don’t say anything until its official or they ask

4 Likes

I would wait until the paperwork is filed and stuff. Perhaps in the mean time you can find a family therapist, and speak to them about the situation -separate from the girls- and get their opinion on how you break this kind of news to kids without destroying them? Or, if she ends up not going through with it, perhaps the therapist will still have valuable information on how to protect them while still giving mom access to the girls. Then either way you can sign the girls up for weekly sessions to discuss life and help them through this stuff, especially the 10 year old.

28 Likes

Find them a therapist

3 Likes

I would just say your mom’s going through some things and needs time to work on her life and get back right So she’s not gonna be around for awhile but she still loves you,every kid needs to hear it if it’s true or not,and when she gets better she’ll be in contact. Letting a kid no the other parent doesn’t care about them really messes a kids head up. I’d sugar coat the shit outta everything they ask that’s just me though

Get paperwork done then tell them the truth and seek a therapist if need be. No matter what y’all do it is going to be hard for them to understand.

3 Likes

Let them know their mom isn’t in her right mind. That she needs to seek help for herself. Let them know it’s not their fault! Make sure you all show them extra love and time. They are going to have many bad days and be patient with them. Cry with them, hug them so they know you are hiring for them as well.

25 Likes

As bad as it sounds, you let them figure it out on their own. Do your best with them and as they grow, they will learn on their own. My son is 12. He hasn’t seen his biological father in almost 7 years. He used to ask to see him or call him. I made excuses. He’s at work. He’s busy. Etc. As my son got older and got his own phone and attempted to make contact, he started to realize that his sperm donor was a POS. I never bad mouthed his biological father (not to him anyway). He figured it all out on his own. Good luck. Kids don’t deserve that shit.

Wait for official paper work and get a therapist either family individual or both

5 Likes

Please do not tell them this. If I were in your shoes I would definitely get the girls in counseling to help with mom being absent. As for when they ask about mom’s absence I told my children that their dad just wasn’t in a good place in his life right now and when he gets in a better place then we would reach out. They are grown now and no he was never in a better place but once they got older we had the more honest and mature talk.

15 Likes

Get them a therapist. A safe place to talk about it. Essentially they are being abandoned by their mother. This does require professional advice and guidance.

3 Likes

Dont say nothing until u see the paperwork she could be irrationally speaking.

3 Likes

I would talk to a lawyer. But tell the girls that you aren’t too sure what’s going on with mommy but that they are safe with you and dad. Don’t speculate or lie. If they ask if she said anything say yes but you aren’t sure what it means so the adults have to sort it out. And then stick to that.

8 Likes

Well, I would most definitely hold off telling them that mom is singing over her rights untill the papers are signed and it’s been rubbed stamped by whoever needs to do that.
As for right this minute… I would try talking to a child therapist that specializes in this department and see what they have to say. They would have alot of incite into it

2 Likes

I would let a therapist, court judge, tell them. Be the nice one and say mommies working and she loves them. Never let a kid think otherwise. No matter what let them know she loves them.

3 Likes

Just don’t yet. File in court and see what they have to say when it is official then you can

Get them into therapy immediately

“Mommy is taking some time for herself. Sometimes grown ups need time to grow up and thats what she is doing. While she is away we both love you and we will be here for you guys.”

23 Likes

You don’t say a word!! Tell them their mother is going through a tough time. And hopefully one day when she’s better she’ll be involved. And you concentrate on showing them the love and stability they need

8 Likes

My eight yr olds father did this… it’s been almost 3 years and she still gets upset. I would suggest a therapist. If I could go back in time, I would have.

I just tell her that I don’t know why he decided to not come around anymore. He’s missing out on a really great girl. It’s ok to be sad about it. And to remember all the wonderful people she does have. She is super lucky to have the step dad, mom, and grandparents that she does. There will always tons of love to give her.

My husband let’s her cry to him about it. He never bashes dad or acts like my daughter can’t talk him about her dad. And he always ends conversations with “what can we do to make you feel better?” The answer is usually ice cream. Lol

5 Likes

Do you plan on adopting them? Not sure where you are located, but most states won’t allow a parent to sign over rights unless someone is stepping in right away to adopt.

2 Likes

You don’t… you tell them wonderful things about themselves, you make plans together, and you remind them how loved they are. If they ask questions, don’t be blunt… do tell them “she doesn’t want you.” You say “she’s working on things. Its complicated.”

7 Likes

Take them to see a counselor…

2 Likes

Do not tell them ANY of this & get a therapist.

2 Likes

Apply for emergacy full custody before she changes her mind. Take the texts to court and go full on. Get a therapist

6 Likes

Tell them she is sick and is taking time to get better, sometimes it takes a long time for people to get better.

4 Likes

First step.
Get in contact with a child therapist or counselor for sure I’d say.
They are there for them and YOU guys during this transition.

1 Like

It won’t be easy no matter how you go about explaining to them. Maybe present it as their biological mom won’t be around anymore, but you are there to be their step mom and mother figure and you aren’t going anywhere.

Good advice mom is broken and needs to be fixed

2 Likes

Be as honest add possible with them. You don’t wantto tell anything close to a lie because if they find out is a lie then they won’t trust you either. Be honest they case can handle it

Tell them straight like it is. Whatever you do dont lie to them i know from personal experience of having to tell my 4yr old son and my 5yr old daughter same thing that their dad is a piece of shit. You can message me if you need to talk to someone who has been down that same road before.

Therapy works i have an 8 and 12 year old ive been separated for going on 4 years now and the kids understand now why there dad doesn’t want anything to do with them. Maybe just have a family meeting i know it’s going to be hard and emotional mama but leave the bad things out of it just tell them that your going to be there step mom and no matter what happens you know you’ll never take the place of there biological mother but that she doesn’t want to be in there life and assure them that everything will be ok because you and dad are going to help them through every obstacle in life.

They are children. They should not have anything to do with adult situations.

3 Likes

Dear god. This is probably the best for those kids.

1. Set up a family therapy appointment and you and fiance go first to discuss

2. Bring kids in and tell them. But not what their mom said. Just explain that their mom has decided she can’t give them the care or the love they deserve, and that they will be living with you permanently.

3. Continue therapy for you all as a family and individually for the kids

3 Likes

Don’t tell the kids that… your going to do more damage than what has already been done … just give them a happy life they deserve.

1 Like

Just LOVE them. Show them the love they deserve from their MOTHER and FATHER, so when they grow they will be just as loving with their own children. Good luck guys, I can tell you are great parents. :heart:

Honestly I would try to go to family counseling so the counselors can help you talk them through it while supporting all of you.

1 Like

I would tell them that she isn’t mentally able to take care of them.

Tell them mom is sick and needs to take time for herself and seek counseling for them. Get them a journal and tell them they can write anything they are feeling down and that no one will read it so they have a way to express their feelings without worrying about judgment. I would NEVER tell them mom doesn’t want them. One day she may come around, even they’re grown, and can answer for herself but never put judgement on mom in the things you say. Be there for them. Have girls days, have husband have dad/ daughter days too. Keep a pic of them with mom around so they can “see” her when they’re missing her.

3 Likes

I have no comment as i couldn’t imagine a Mother acting this way. Please just love those children

Just continue to love them without explanation, it’s obvious you already accept them as your own.
You and dad sit them down and say “you’ll see mom when the time is right”

1 Like

I was in a situation like this before with my exs kids. We didnt tell them and they only asked once. We told them she went away for a while and left it at that. It helped the kids not get extremly sad or upset. We wanted to wait to tell them when they were older or asked more questions. (When they were ready)

1 Like

Please, don’t EVER tell them. She will, I hope , get some appropriate help and want to see them later. I would just say she’s going through some problems that she has to solve on her own and nothing to do with them. They are blessed to have a soft place to land.

2 Likes

This is sad, I hope you’re not making this up because this is cruel. I definitely would never tell the children anything. No child deserves to grow up wondering why they weren’t good enough. Just love those babies and don’t bring them into adult conflicts.

3 Likes

Tell them that she made some very bad decisions and is unable to be with them at this time. Leave it at that.

5 Likes

How awful. Terribly sad for those kids

Prayers for those babies

1 Like

Just tell them she’s sick & at the doctor getting help

You are so blessed to be able to love these children and guide them through this trauma in their lives. Be age appropriate!!!, and honest with them. Dont ever lie. They need to earn your trust. Seek counseling if need be. The children are more aware of what is going on than we realise, and I am sure are very frightened. Bless you & your fiancee . Much luck for choosing the right path.

4 Likes

I resented my mom for not just telling me my dad walked out.
In time them kids will know the truth, they might be older when they discover the truth then and if truth ain’t told to them then they could have resentment

2 Likes

I will.be truthful and tell.them in a way they can understand. find some counseling. if they find out you lied about what actually the bio mom said it maybe worse when kids r older

So I did foster care, and in classes, it was always said that, if the children ask, we simply say, mommy and/or daddy are trying to make better choices because they love you. It really did help my kids- I would also suggest counseling

1 Like

It’s not necessary to tell them anything yet. If mom follows through and cuts off contact, you can address it then. You just received the text last night…mom may have been drunk, depressed, etc and feel completely different in a couple of days…

9 Likes

Sophia Poulos how sad :sob:

2 Likes

I went through the same thing several years ago. I told my kids what I believed to be true, that the absent parent was going through stuff, and needed to learn to take care of himself at the time. He was suffering personal problems (I made it sound psychological, but know that it was drugs), and needed to fix himself. They still have no contact, but now, it’s by my teenagers choice.

3 Likes

I would never tell kids that even if it’s true

4 Likes

Find those girls a good therapist. It will help them process the trauma and abandonment. :heart:

2 Likes

They are kids you dont tell them any of this! When they ask were mommy went you just say she had to go away bc she is sick and needs to work on getting better! ( she is sick I the head of she can leave her kids like this) Bc if you tell them she left they will think its there fault and that they did somthing wrong! But only address the issue if the children bring it up!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t tell the children anything. How would you even make that sound pleasant? Sorry babies but your mother wants nothing to do with you anymore? Ummm no. Just explain when she stops coming around and they ask why that she loved them but she wasn’t ready to parent them at that moment. If you are religious maybe tell the kids “we can say a prayer for her tonight”. Dont leave the kids thinking they aren’t loved or wanted. They may eventually feel like that anyhow when she never comes back but to tell a child that is awful.

3 Likes

You sit them down. Explain how loved they are by the dad and you.
You go on to say a few positive things about them and explain that you both want them to live with you guys from now on!

That their mom needs to fix some things in her life and that means they won’t be seeing her. But when she does/if she does, it will be their choice to reconnect with their bio mom.

3 Likes

You definitely cannot tell them. Find a child therapist, meet without the kids to develop a plan of what to say. It’s likely the mom will change her mind about seeing the kids in the future. Such a sad situation. I’m so very sorry.

2 Likes

Tell them mom wants them to be cared for and loved by you and your husband that she entrusted their wellbeing with you… and that she is trying to get her life in order . Don’t engage in negative ideas about mom she has done enough damage and seek counseling services for your family and ask for help answering tough questions but in time the kids will know who they can count on and who is there for them :wink:

15 Likes

Two words: family counseling. Also, it is not YOUR job to tell them, it’s his job, but counseling is somewhere where all parties can discuss the ramifications of this matter.

2 Likes

Whatever you tell them, tell them together. Your fiance will need your support just as much as the kids will. Remember to tell them that it is not their fault. That it was never their fault. That they are beautiful, smart, funny, well behaved children who are so so loved.
They will internalize this. Be prepared. Get counseling as soon as possible. Remind them that biology does not always mean family. Let them know that while their mother did not choose them, that you two are choosing them. Tell them it will be hard, and you know that, and that you do not understand their pain (you dont unless your mother did the same thing) but you are there to listen and learn and love.

Also, please save that message from her. I dont know how you will, but save it. They may wish to see it when they are older. Not now, but later on in life. It will bring closure.

4 Likes

Counseling counseling and more counseling and early!

5 Likes

As a step mommy of 2 kids in almost same situation…
We don’t say anything to them we try give them a happy safe and healthy life. They’re 9 and 7. We do speak about her (nothing bad, we acknowledge her existance when they remember stuff about her) but thankfully they never ask about her or for her. She’s been away most of their lives.

1 Like

Awww. That’s so sad. I don’t have an answer, but I wouldn’t tell them she doesn’t want them and I wouldn’t tell them a word about any lies. She is shifting the blame from herself to her child! She needs some serious counseling. Get the kids some counseling and get some counseling for your fiancé and you. Be careful about choosing a counselor. Ask for recommendations. I personally prefer Christian counseling, but not all of those are good either, so ask around!

Tell the kids their mother is emotionally unstable and isnt prepared to care for them or how they feel. She is the type of person to emotionally abuse her children and they are safer without her.That they deserve the best in their life.

4 Likes

Well counseling is your best bet and I would never relay what their egg donor would say. We adopted our granddaughter because he parents were unfit as she has gotten older now 8 she does ask questions I just tell her sometimes people have children and they are not able to care for them for one reason or another hence the reason we have stepped in to care of her. They are children they don’t need or require an adult explanations. Be as honest as you can be while still remaining positive.

5 Likes

Gez, please don’t tell them she doesn’t want them. Take them to a counselor and adhere to the counselors advice.

3 Likes

You need to handle this situation delicately. If you say the wrong thing in this situation it could scar them for life. This is from experience.

1 Like

I’d start off by saying that she’s busy with her new life.

Let them ask you where or why then tell the Truth

I would say “mom” and dad have decided the kids will be living with dad for awhile because of moms “new schedule”. If the mother is signing over her 2 young children I’m sure their home life isn’t the best anyways… dad and soon to be step mom need to be excited and over the moon to have them there… create a loving safe predictable happy family …time will tell if a counselor needs to get involved …

1 Like

You could say that she is going through some stuff and isn’t ready to be the mom she knows they need right now. You don’t know the future but you are there for them if they have questions and you’ll get through it together. Encourage them to write letters in a journal or draw pictures for her to give her down the road. If you are a praying family, teach them to pray for her.

9 Likes

Let them read it for themselves… thats not something a child specially not this young will under stand until they are older and under we rstand how ppl work. So sorry your little have to go thru such a heartbreaking this from the woman who birthed them! Some ppl just shouldn’t be parent

I been lied to that my family loved me but they were so busy they couldn’t come to see me

As an adult a part of me thinks they love me but clearly they dont and all because of lies I think they give a damn

So I’d tell them the truth and just be there for them

Yeah I told they are older and this actually happens…I would just say that she has stuff she needs to do and she just isn’t available right now. And leave it at that.

1 Like

That’s so heart breaking :sob: I have no advice except maybe therapy (no matter how soft you break this to them is going to be scarring) I’m just so sorry for these kids. What a shitty excuse for a parent, so glad they have you !

I’d say tell them as soon as possible and possibly get them in to therapy to help them through it. But above everything else reassure them that its about her and not their fault. I grew up with just my dad because my mother was too busy with her life. For the longest time he would tell me about how much she loved us etc and didn’t outright tell me that she just didn’t want me and i grew up thinking there was something wrong with me because she wasn’t around… Don’t make up excuses for her just be up front with them. It’ll be better for them in the long run. It’ll be hard for awhile but you will all get through it.

My dad explained to me and my sister that she was sick and needed to get some help. Be open an honest but let them know you and their father love them and are not going anywhere. Be patient as a step mom, they will be testing you but in the end my step mom was my best friend. Good luck to you. Takes a special woman to be a great step mom.

7 Likes

I agree. Do what is best for those kids. But I know firsthand what it’s like to battle mental health disease and although I would never let that come out of my mouth to my daughters I have been in very low places where i thought leaving them was the best for them. I’ve battled hard and I love them more than life itself. Get them into counseling but before walking away from her reach out to sbody in her family and see if there is help needed. It doesnt have to end up bad in forever terms just yet. Just my own opinion. I thank god for those that were there for me and helped me with my girls.

1 Like

You never bring anything up to them. But if they ask, you give age appropriate truths. Sometimes, people that have kids are simply not ready to be parents. Its nothing the kids did, its nothing you did. You still and will always love them and be there for them, they won’t be missing out. She made the best choice she could because she couldn’t properly care for them not being ready to be a parent. You never trash talk or bad mouth no matter what the reality is. You just make sure they know it was nothing they or you did and that they will still have all the love of all the land from you. You can even go as far as to say she of course loves them, she just can’t be what they need but thats ok. If shes not actually leaving for good though, it’d be different. Sticking to shes working, needed somewhere, doing a project, ect would be better to tide the curiosity over.

1 Like

Give it time. Who knows if she might just be having a break down right now or going through something. The last thing you want is to tell them this and have her change her mind a week or a month from now. Give her time and space to deal with her personal demons and provide support and understanding.

I woildnseek councelling for yourself and all the kids (separately), on how best to navigate this. I would emphasise more on how much uou love them and would do anything for them, so they do nkt feel ‘abandon’. You want them to feel closure, but also don’t want them to feel shattered.

Clearly their mum is not well me mentally. I would be writing to her saying her loss and suggesting she get proffessuonal help because at 10 years old, her child is not the problem here. You don’t leave your child when they do things that aren’t okay (if thatbis even true). You do the worl, and guide them ect) and get through it with them. Find the source of why she is behaving that way — sounds like she doesnmt have a role model in her life in her mom, that is of sound mind.

This is so sad. It is one thing to leave your children, and sometimes people need that to get mental health support or whatever. But another thing to blame your children for that and that is totally not okay.

I would NOT be telling the kids she blamed them. I would say something like she is struggling to be a good mommy at the moment (and say it is nothing they have done wrong) so she has asked us to look after you. Emphasise the fact of itbis not there fault and how much you love them and can’t wait for them to join your family, you want ti protect their future mental health as much as possible xoxo

sounds like its best she signs over her rights
maybe get counseling for girls and lots of loving relatives and friends also❤️
goodluck hope the girls will be ok

1 Like

They need to know the truth they have a right to it but then again no kid especially at this ages deserve to get there heart shattered like this

Tell them their mum loves them in her own way and even tho it hurts them not seeing her she needs some time and some space to herself for awhile

Explain to them that she went on a trip far far away . And want be back no time soon . Or tell them the truth . I went thew that and knowing to me was the worst thing they ever did to me