How Do You Afford Being a Stay-At-Home Mom, Especially if Your Husband Doesn't Make Much?

I work from home while being with the kids. I have a non profit and 2 small businesses. He makes a comfortable salary and also has a small side business as well.

Serious question: does DHS not help pay for yalls daycare?? In oklahoma if you don’t make enough, the state will give you a “daycare budget” and you pay the rest. Soo say daycare is $150 a month, but the daycare you want is $250, you just pay extra 100$

Money making apps and drive Uber whenever possible.

I babysit kids in my home to help supplement my income

Hey girls :heart: just reading all these comments and i was in the same boat as all of you. Im a single mama of 2 babies.

I now run my own business from home & am looking for 2 or 3 other mamas wanting or needing to earn some income from home. No, this is not any kind of scam or MLM type thing (i hate those). No selling, no products, nothing of that sort at all.

But I would like only serious inquiries because I take my business very seriously. So if any of you truly are interested in working from home a few hours a day, please feel free to inbox me any time and i can tell you a bit more.

Mamas helping mamas :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Growing up has never come the easier way. It comes with lots of challenges like lost marriages, lost love, financial and job problems and so many more, but still there has always been a solution to every challenges that we face in life. Life has been so difficult for me these past few months and I had given up on myself knowing that I will not find love or true happiness again. Two months ago I found out I was pregnant and I was so happy and excited to have my own baby and I didn’t even call my boyfriend. I just wanted to take the results to him and show him face to face and share the good news together. But when I reached his flat I saw his car parked outside and knew he was home so I went straight to his room. When I knocked, he allowed me to enter because he wasn’t expecting me at the time, but when i opened the door I nearly fainted because I caught him ready handed with another woman in his house. I looked at them and closed the door and ran away, he followed me saying his sorry and the woman is just a friend and nothing else but I knew he was lying and I walked away. I reached home and cried a lot until i told my best friend everything and she told me to fight for my man and not loose him to another woman. She gave me Sir Marere contact +2348109805184 email is: marerespells@gmail. com and told me Sir Marere will bring back my boyfriend to me and love only me. So i contacted Sir Marere and told her everything, he made a love and binding prayers for me and in 1 day of the prayers my boyfriend came to me with that woman I saw him with and knelt down and begged for my forgiveness and told the woman that am the love of his life and he doesn’t ever want to see her again. The woman walked away and that evening my man came back with a baked cake and gifts and flowers and asked for my forgiveness again and promised never to hurt me again and I told him that we are having a baby, he cried and smiled with joy and happiness. We are back together and so much in love and waiting for our baby to arrive. Thanks so much Sir Marere your prayers indeed work. You can call or whats-app Sir marere on +2348109805184 Email: marerespells@gmail. com incase you are passing through the same situation. Don’t be discouraged by what people may tell you that even don’t know the situation you are going through, all that matters are the results so feel free to contact him.

You live below your means.

1 Like

We make it work so I can stay at home and be with my kids. We don’t get government assistance and my husband works, he earns a decent wage. But even when we were in the middle of Covid and were earning $400 a week with rent being $340, we made it work.

Don’t have kids!! :woman_shrugging:t2::joy:

It’s a struggle unfortunately

My salary wouldn’t pay for daycare for two, so it was a no brainer. However, we both have cars that are 10 years or older, so no car payments. We don’t go out to eat more than a few times a year for birthdays or special occasions. We don’t spend money on things like drive thru coffee or other extras like that. We budget for groceries, and renegotiate with car insurance/home owners insurance when they go up every year. We don’t have cable or a home phone and we don’t “upgrade” anything unless they break, such as cell phones, appliances, computers, cars, etc. we don’t spend lots of money on “stuff”, even at Christmas. It is amazing how many places you can cut costs when you really think about needs versus wants. All of these sacrifices are completely worth it to be home with my kids while they are small. It goes so fast.

1 Like

When we first had our son, my husband was an assistant manager of a retail store and didn’t make much so we struggled pretty bad. Almost 3 years ago, my husband started up our own business and its thriving. I also bought a cricut and try to make small things here and there for some extra cash. Thankfully we don’t have to sacrifice to much like we used to. I’m thankful that I’ve been able to stay home with my boys, it’s been worth every struggle.

My husband and I budget very strictly. For us, we live in a small community that doesn’t offer childcare for kids under the age of 2. So when our first was born we didn’t have an option. We’ve definitely had financial hardships occasionally but as long as we stick to our budget it all works out

I have been a stay at home mom for 10 years. Always babysat for the extra. We always lived pay check to paycheck. Payed loans and credit off, bought a house, watched what we spent money on, cut things out (cable,fast food) He has gotten raises over the years so he has a pretty decent paying job now. Started getting better only a year ago. We are living good and comfortable but not of course wealthy!

I just started working weekends nights. Best thing i could do for my mental health! I LOVE BEING with my kiddos but its also nice to get out, be around adults and have a little extra cash to spend on myself and the kids!:two_hearts:

No matter your financial situation being stay home parents is a lot of sacrifice for the whole house. If this is the option you chose you will find different ways to cut things rearrange etc to make it work. Its a little different for everyone

1 Like

I’m home with 3 kids. My husband is a carpenter and we just live paycheck to paycheck just about for now. It was a sacrifice we agreed on since it’s only while they are little. We pay our bills, do a once a week grocery and necessity shopping trip, and save as much as we can

I genuinely wonder how people afford to work instead. Child care is too expensive so we just budget like crazy

I stayed at home for 3 years with our sons, husband earned a decent wage but took on 3 part time ones as well. I went back to work part time evenings and weekends after that so that he could stop the extra jobs and when he was with the boys I would work and vice versa. It’s trying to find what works for your family, not always easy though.

I’m a single mom of 9 year old twins. Being a mom was my dream so I saved money my entire life so I can raise them and be a stay at home mom!

Its the best thing I ever did. I quit my job of 10 years when they were born and able to stay home for the rest of my life! Living my dream!

I’m a SAHM…sort of. I am with my daughter all day, but I’m also a nanny for 2 other kids, so I bring in some supplemental income. It almost kills me some days, but I’m so blessed to be able to be with my daughter while she’s growing up :blush:

I’m a single mom of 3 get no child support and have to work to make ends meet. Plus side I get free daycare tho. I use to write my Bill’s down and what I made at one point to just see how much I have left to spend on gas or going to do something. One point in my life I was going to food pantries and to get help with Bill’s. I hope I never hit that low again

It’s been hard with the whole pandemic. My job got eliminated and I don’t know when they will need me back. Hard to work in a school when they are closed to students.

It’s all about going with out “extras” and only getting necessary items. Some randoms things here and there. Some of my friends sell things they make for extra money or babysit a kid or two.

It’s not so much that I can afford to stay home as it is so much cheaper if I stay home. With a toddler alone I’d be paying $200 a week…if you add the two older girls for after school care and full summer care that $800 a month turns into $1600-$2000 real quick…all in all I don’t want to work just to pay someone else my paycheck for watching my kids.

We just did it and made it work I have two kids. This year alone I stopped working we had our second child we bought a house and got married. Put your mind to it and it will work

I did it starting with very little money. Youve got to want it. Knowing your child is with you and safest with you keeps you going. I didnt need a lot. I didnt need a cell phone let alone sprint or verizon. I didnt need cable. I didnt need name brand anything. I enjoyed thrift stores and so did my son. Swap shop. Repurpose reuse recycle. At one point i didnt even have my own vehicle and i didnt care, because my baby was with me, you get what you pay for and generally people suck. Fast forward on being supportive in his career and you end up with a pool, cable, two cars, plenty to go around and guests over for dinner. It really doesnt take that much

I go hungry at times 2 make sure my kids are fed and have a roof over there heads

If. You. Have. To. Work. To. Make. Ends. Meet. Try.1. Of. You. Work. Days & The. Other. Work. Nights. Me. & My. Husband. Did. It. For. Years. My. Husband. Only. Made. Enough. To. Get. By. We. Didn’t. Have. To. Pay. A. Babysitter. The. Extra. Income. Helped. Alot. We. Picked. A. Day. We. Both. Could. Be. Off. To. Spend. Time. Together. I. Was. Home. When. My. Children. Came. Home. From. School, Had. Supper. Ready, Had. House. Cleaned. We. Did. It. For. Years. I. Try. To. Stay. Home. There. Was. Not. Enough. Money. Just. Couldn’t. Do. It. Give. It. A. Try. If. You. Can.

Syed Haseeb Zaidi ye dekhein west se kaam pr jana seekha hai yaha k logo ne… r west wale apne kharche km kr rhe hain hai k bache mother k sath reh sakein… :roll_eyes: mtlb had hi hogai… comments me dekhein

We worked opposite shifts so our kids were always with one or the other.

Living on a budget for now til we get ahead

Don’t live past your means.Read grocery store ads and buy meats when theyre on sale.Once you figure out a system for you,its alot easier to shop for food and your store card saves money.Invest in a chest freezer,i found mine on fb marketplace for $45 and it has saved money in long run.Discounted items,closeout prices.Use cash as much as possible and you can buy some things used because there are alot of items in almost new condition that you can save money on too.Thrift stores have some often in better condition clothes for kids.I just found Volcom and London Fog jackets for $12.00 at Goodwill. Also,I pay $24.95 a month for my phone.family mobile.I pay bills and household items first priority1,then everything else depending on what is left.These are examples but whatever works for your family and your income :slight_smile:

If you haven’t had kids yet then save, save, save and pay,pay, pay. I’ve been home with my 15 month old and we did it by paying off all credit and car debt and saving like crazy. My husband covers most of the bills but we use our savings to supplement a few others and my spending money.
Also, many people don’t take into account the money it costs to work, child care, gas, lunches out, etc.

In addition, we haven’t had the added stress of me having an employer to answer to and coordinating child care during the pandemic.

I’ll need to go back to work in the next year or so, but I’ve been enjoying every minute of it.

I’m a SAHM mon=Fri and pick up serving shifts on sat and sun.
Waiting tables one or 2 days a week is where it’s at. I work at a small diner and bring home upwards of $600 in those 2, 5 hour shifts. My husband is the head chef there.

My hubby works his ass off plus monthly payments on buying a home is cheaper than renting where we live.

Firstly get rid non necessary things like telephones. Internet cable. Etc.

Don’t pay TV license only allowed dvds in this house no TV.

We ain’t deprived we make our own fun

Food doesn’t have cost the earth .

No snacking. I was brought on on pure shite I limit my children to the nice things.

We never do pudding etc in our house.

As long as your children have what they need life is sufficient enough.

I have an eating disorder And still manage it.
And my children eat anything and everything .
They barely seen me eat over years but never let on.

Being that I lone parent. Too. With no support.

The finer things keep us happy.

We don’t feel we’re missing out we appreciate things a whole lot more.

Especially even a bus trip is day out for my two.

It’s about prioties

No mortgage no big bills.