How do you and your spouse manage bills?

How do you and your husband manage the bills if yuou both work? i want a joint account to make things easier but he does not…so i have to wait for him to transfer me money so i can pay all of the bills…and i also always end up paying more than him

62 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do you and your spouse manage bills?

1 Like

We split all bills in half

2 Likes

We would split them, but he never had money so I usually paid most of everything.

All of the money goes into and comes out of one account.

9 Likes

Me & my partner have always split everything. Get Cashapp or Venmo or fb pay. We always send each other half depending on who’s going to go pay the bills or get the money order or whatever. We don’t have a joint acct.

1 Like

My spouse and I have separate accounts and 1 joint account for bills. When we get paid we put said amount of money into the joint account for bills and pay bills off that.
Whatever is in our own accounts is for us for gas and other things we need or want.
Groceries and bills go into the joint account.

5 Likes

We have one account and share the money

5 Likes

I don’t work. We share an account and he gives me complete access to the money to spend however I please.

4 Likes

My fiancé pays the rent and I pay most the bills (utilities power internet etc.) he also pays for our cell phone plan lol

2 Likes

I mean…if you share bills, then you’ll need at least one joint account. You can both have separate this way too.
However, if you’re having trouble with him putting his half into the joint account for bills, I would just keep two separate accounts and tell him that you’ll pay XYZ bills while he can pay ABC bills. :woman_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

My husband makes 5x more than me so I pay the bills out of his account.

2 Likes

I make more than my husband does so I pay a majority of the bills but he pays some out of his own acct.

Our money goes into a joint account and I’ve just always handled the bills . I ended up in the hospital tho and Poor guy was clueless . Everyone’s different :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Joint account. We pay bills and grocery shop and then each transfer personal spending money from what’s left so we don’t go over budget.

2 Likes

have money going into bills weekly and stay with having ur own bank account… even ur own bedroom… i duno bout u… but i spent my whole entire childhood sharing rooms. i dont wanna stay with that lol. i like my space. even if i dont use it. i know its there … its nice to know i can go somewhere and have me time to miss me hubby lol… i pay bills … he pays for food.

I say have your own separate account but maybe get a joint for just bills.

My husband pays our lot rent and the rest of the big bills. I’m responsible for the credit cards, car payment, phone bill, and other miscellaneous needs

My boyfriend and I have a joint account and we each have a separate account. We split all the bills in half, and transfer the money I to the account every month to be paid from. That way bills get paid, we can see where that money is going, and I still have my personal account and he has his personal account. We both had BAD marriages and were screwed BIG time. We don’t want to make that mistake again. He still buys dinner, gifts, gas etc. But he does it from his own account, not the joint. We’ve worked well with it this way and love it

1 Like

I manage the finances. I pay all the bills through my account, and he gives me a set amount weekly that goes towards bills and directly into my account every week. I figured out the average cost of all of our bills, divided by 2 (people) and then that number by 4(weeks). That’s how much we each have to pay towards bills.

2 Likes

My husband and I have our own separate accounts and also a joint one. I pay utilities, groceries, majority of our dog and things for our daughter (his bonus daughter). He pays mortgage, cable, what ever streaming services he wants. But if one of us needs help we help. The joint account is just to save money for a new house, home repairs, or if I didn’t make enough on my paycheck to cover utilities. But once we buy a house the joint will be for all bills.

My husband pays all the bills. I get them in the mail open them text him how much it is and he pays it online on his phone. I dont make nearly as much as he does a week. But it all goes into one account and he makes sure everything paid and we all have everything we need.

4 Likes

My fiancé and I both work. We have separate accounts, which I’m ok with. He earns more than I do, so he pays the mortgage, his cell phone, and our auto/boat insurances, and groceries. I pay for the utilities, my car, my cell phone, and a small loan that I took out. I think we pretty much even each other out.

Split everything 5050

Have certain bills in his name and certain bills in your name so it ends up being fair. A third joint account that y’all both transfer money to to pay the bills is a good idea as well.

1 Like

We have individual accounts and a joint account. We put equal amounts into the joint account. Anything left after bills are covered goes to savings.

1 Like

Own accounts we take turns paying bills or split them he pays rent I buy food but he also gives money for food after he’s payed his own bills loans etc

My best advice is to sit down and write out all household bills. Than look at who brings in what income. You should each contribute an equally proportionate amount to the bills. Than I would open a joint account and you each have the bill money deposited into the joint account and all household expenses come from there. I would also recommend a savings account for household emergencies (ex. Furnace dies in January… you have money in savings to replace). Than whatever is leftover from your individual pay checks goes into.your individual accounts for your own personal bills/expenses. Groceries and kid related expenses should be calculated into your household budget.

my money don’t touch a bill :woman_shrugging:t4:

you need to separate your money NOW

we also have a joint account we both access. he has his personal checking & savings. i have my personal checking (he could access at the bank with a copy of marriage license, just like i can access his the same way), savings accounts (off limits), trust fund (off limits), business accounts (off limits) & investment accounts ,off limits).

3 Likes

He pays the rent and cc and I pay utilities and groceries.

Why are you married if your husband wants his own account ?

5 Likes

We have access to eachothers account. We are a partnership

1 Like

We have a joint account for bills only and then have our own money as well

Maybe if you not happy the way thing’s are then you should go find someone else instead of complaining on FB

3 Likes

A joint account for bills isn’t a bad thing, just makes it easier.

Jointed account all the money goes there, and I pay all the bills and mortgage from that account. I leave enough for groceries, gas and expenses And transfer to savings account what’s left. I’m the one that doesn’t waste money that’s why I’m in charge.

3 Likes

It’s both y’all’s money so who cares

3 Likes

We have an account and I have an account. I pay the bills and transfer him what he needs… if he keeps more then he spends more. I give him plenty and believe it, he spends it. But if I didn’t, we wouldn’t have nice things.

I’ve been married 20yrs. We used to have a joint account. It caused more issues than not. We split bills now been doing so for probably 16yrs now. I have a set of bills that I pay while he has a set of bills he pays. He’s always paid the bigger bills. I pay for cell phones, cable, internet, propane for heating an cooking, my car payment, lot rent for our camper, groceries, 50% of kids clothes, ect. He pays rent/mortgage bc we’ve had both at once but right now we own our homes so it’s only lot rent for the one home. Then he has car insurance, his car payment, electric, an whatever credit card bills he has. We split expenses with our extracurriculars as well. We are on a bowling league. One week he pays I buy dinner the next week we switch. We do the same with date nights an movies. Although for movies I tend to get the popcorn bc I’m the best at getting things for free or discounted prices so we always have free popcorn at movies. So basically I get the popcorn an he gets the drinks while I pay for tickets and then next time we go he buys tickets an I get popcorn an drinks. It has literally helped with lessening arguments and making our lives easier bc then we aren’t relying on one of us to do everything we rely on each other to do our fair share.

I was raised that the Man of the house paid the bills… literally. I usually stayed home but when I did get a job it was to help pay them. It a joint marriage so it’s a joint account. Maybe he doesn’t realize You are paying more. I would keep all receipts and make a notebook of monthly payments. Do a budget in other words. You’d be amazed how much you can save. After you list all bills and amounts add it ALL up. Divide down the middle and there you have a joint marriage. Don’t give him a choice on payment. It’s half or there’s no marriage, no respect or trust either.

7 Likes

Have certain bills come out of his account and certain bills come from yours. Keep it fair.

1 Like

We both work and bring home cash to put in our expense wallet (coupon book) when I get paid once a month I bring home like 1k in cash for our expenses and then also divvy up my money from photoshoots for the same. My boyfriend is a waiter so he brings home his tips, we each have a “mom/dad” fun money pocket too. We’re each responsible for our own car insurance and he pays his own car payment but essentially we split everything else

I guess I’m old fashioned. We have all joint accounts. All of our money is direct deposited into one account. Since hubby makes more than I do, the insurance comes out of his deposit, and a portion goes into our joint savings account. He also has a health savings account through his insurance, so that is deducted from his check as well. Everything else goes into our joint checking account. All of our household bills, food, everything for the kids, date nights, entertainment etc, all come from this account. Medical comes from the HSA. Emergencies and large expenses comes from the savings account. We see it as it’s our life, so it’s our money, regardless of who makes more.

5 Likes

Get the calculator out and divide all the bills in half. Write it all down and add it up and show him.say um,this is your half. Don’t forget toilet paper,dish soap, laundry soap, shampoo, all that. Divide everything he uses in half.

1 Like

I can relate to this! What’s worked a little better for us recently is we calculated about how much half of the big bills are and he was able to have the same decided amount of his check auto deposited into my account each week and whatever he makes more than that goes into his own account. I still end up paying more with groceries and extras but at least the really important big things are 50/50 and I feel a little more content about it.

Me and my husband try to keep it fair, either way we are a team :slightly_smiling_face:

we split them. He pays mortgage, heat, and electric, I pay childcare, streaming services, pet care. We even split groceries.

We have a joint bills account (mind you we are both signatories on each other’s accounts so we can see where all our money is going). We have a set amount we each pay weekly into our bills account and then I pay a set amount each week into our bills (rent, electricity, phone, gas etc) from there. That way we are always in credit with our bills and no need to stress when a bill arrives.
We are equals - both our pay checks are OUR money. Not mine, not his, ours.

2 Likes

My husband gives me his bank card to pay all the bills and buy what we need (kids included) he is the primary bread winner but I manage the bills. We use my account if needed but either way we always share all monies in both accounts and go over what we have everytime one of us gets paid. Wasnt like this until later in the relationship but it works best.

4 accounts, your money, his money, Bill money, and savings.

5 Likes

Joint account that monthly you both contribute exactly half of the bill money. Orrrrrr
If you have more debt than him such as credit cards and such then those debts are yours to pay. Mortgage can be split or one pays that and the other the utilities and y’all split things such as WiFi and cable and such.
Orrrrr
You hand him the dang bills and you transfer two thirds of your paycheck to HIM and let him figure it out… including all of your personal bills

when both my husband and i worked ( i’m a stay at home now since losing my job) both our paychecks would go into our billing checking account, then i would budget out the bills and move the leftover money if there was any to our spending checking account and or savings account. Both our names are on all accounts.
My husband usually leaves the debit card home with me unless he wants to buy lunch at work or needs to put gas in the car. He works at a school and can eat for free.

3 Likes

I bought my house before him & I got together, so only my name is on the loan title, SO, he pays the utilities and I pay the mortgage. And we split the groceries, most of the time.

My husband pays all the bills. Any money I make outside our home, he says it’s for me to do what I want. I have a credit card for groceries, whatever the kids need or myself and he just pays it in full every month. We have a joint account that is just basically for my truck payment and he usually ends up paying it as well. Let me add, we are a family farm. I feed the crew during seeding and spraying. I plant a 2 acre garden, i take care of the gross pigs lol and at harvest I run a combine. I’m not lounging around all day eating bon bons. Oh deer god, it’s harvest time for us now and he’s thrown me into the big guy.

8 Likes

He gives me one whole check every month. Anything else I need he will give me but that check covers his portion of whatever bills and stuff we need.

1 Like

A communal account for bills and expenses. Separate personal accounts.

Joint account and pay the bills out of it.

We have separate and joint accounts. We each pay our own vehicle payments and our own insurance. We share the mortgage payment and each pay our own phone bills. I pay all the household utilities because I make more and we both chip away at the extra debt. I pay for the life insurance and manage the investments.

Have your own checking and savings and one joint :woman_shrugging:t2: the joint to be used for bills and utilities and transferred on time? My husband and I share all accounts but if we didn’t that’s what I’d do.

1 Like

You don’t need a joint account. Get over it. You work for yours he works for his. Best way not to get screwed over if a seperating happens… therefore he is smart not to give into you. Spilt bills it’s simple

1 Like

That’s not a marriage that is called control.

3 Likes

In our house.

It’s one bank account.

Equal partners in EVERYTHING.

Makes for a very harmonious life.

10 Likes

We have a joint account just for bills, and then we each have our own separate accounts. We each put the same amount into the joint each check.

1 Like

I would go on his phone and get his account and routing number and set up auto payments for at least half of everything you pay, like the phone bill and cable and electricity and you pay the water and gas and car insurance. Be smart about it. Get your own phone plan separate from him and tell him you’re cancelling the cable if he doesn’t agree. I had EVERYTHING in my name. And if you’re not married and have kids, get child support. Make him pay. If you are married, divorce him and get alimony. Figure it out. I wish a man would pull that with me!!!

3 Likes

25 years married we have 1 checking 1 savings, we both contribute equal money, we pays the bills and spend how we want too,it’s a marriage, my hubby has his own card and I do to to the same accounts

4 Likes

Yeah that would never fly with me I do all the bill I pay everything and track everything we talk about every dollar we spend though and both have access to one account at all time no secrets hidden :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

My husband has always made way more than me. We started with separate accounts, but we merged evening into one account shortly after we married. I deal with making sure all the bills are paid (auto pay these days).

1 Like

Our money is combined & my husband pays our bills from it.

That’s why he doesn’t want a joint account!

4 Likes

We combine finances since we’re married. Every paycheck we go over our ledger and figure out our budget by figuring out what bills need paid during that pay period, how much goes towards gas, food, and other things that are coming up.

1 Like

We don’t have his/hers money, all the money is OUR money and we pay bills together twice a month over breakfast. Been that way for 25 years now

1 Like

One checking one saving for us. I’m a stay at home mom he would not be giving me an allowance that’s for sure

1 Like

We have a joint account that hubs check goes in to pay all the bills and whatever I make is my play money and then he uses what’s left of his check as play money but he also prefers it that way. And hey, that’s more shopping for my but I also get everyone’s birthday and Christmas presents and we have 5 kids

1 Like

I make 65 percent of the household income I pay 65% of the household bills.

3 Likes

We have joint bank (I don’t have a debit card on this one) and credit cards and I have separate bank account (have had it for over 25 years) that I transfer $ from joint to pay for my credit card charges and groceries. I don’t like to keep too much in my debit just in case I lose my card or it gets stolen.

We have separate accounts and 1 joint account that connects to our separate accounts. We split the bills. I pay certain bills and he pays others. The only thing that goes in our joint is the auto bill pays like our mortgage, car insurance and cellphones. That way if something happens and one of us sees it hasn’t been paid and will be withdrawn soon, we just transfer it.

1 Like

You need to file for divorce immediately. Nothing good will come from this unless you are him.

3 Likes

We put the money in the joint account and we pay bills together. But what it actually looks like is, I get all the money and I pay all the bills XD he will not help me budget any freaking thing! He says he likes not having to worry about it bc he trusts me.

You’re being financially abused. Put your foot down about what he owes

2 Likes

I’m a firm believer in once you are married you are ONE. We have a joint bank account.

6 Likes

When I did have a job we had one joint account and then we each have a private savings. After bill money goes into joint the rest is divided up equally and we can do whatever we want with it.

When I’m not working like now we still have separate accounts and the one joint we just split the leftover of my husbands check into the separate accounts

1 Like

Throw them in the pile and pay em

2 Likes

We pay everything weekly so it’s small lump sum payments and don’t have to worry about big payments end of the month

My husband makes way more than I do. He’s pays the bills and when he leaves for work leaves me xxxx amount to last while he’s gone. The money I make is mostly spend on what the kids need and things for the home. We’ve done this 13 years

4 Likes

We have separate account he is responsible for half and pays them . . as am I :woman_shrugging:t2: Works for us

2 Likes

We have a joint account, each our own cards and app access, most of our bills are on auto. We discuss any purchase over a certain amount.
But We need more details before we can help your situation.

2 Likes

He should pay more than u do simply because men have higher pay rates than women example my bf is a team lead for walmart and makes 19$ an hr I’m a VET TECH and I only make 12 an hr see the huge difference there and my Job is so much more important than his I save lives animal lives but still LIVES he saves meat and produce smh… should b the other way around but here in the good Ole U.S.A men make so much more than women why I have no idea it’s dumb anyways u should not b paying more than him he needs the majority of bills on his part u can Contribute but he defiantly need to be paying more on his part since men make more than we do!!!

3 Likes

We have had a joint account since like the 3rd month of dating, (his idea not mine) but I organise the bills and he makes the money now since we have 3 little ones and I can’t work, we don’t really have any bills or debt to pay

All money is family money in our house. When we first got together we earned similar. Then came babies. Since then he earns way more than I could ever make. I did go back to work part time and me working full time would suck for all of us.
It’s still family money and I earn 100k less than him. We make financial decisions together for the good of our family.
Once kids and commitment are involved then separated finances should be out the door.

The hubs and I have separate accounts. Some months I pay all the bills and some months he does. We share the income. I transfer $ when needed. I’m employed and he’s self employed (I’m joint owner) . It’s a team effort. Not me for me. He shares equally as I do with him.

3 Likes

You’re married , so it’s one family. You both pay the bills together. It’s not half and half, it’s not “ your money, or my money “. Might as well be divorced.

10 Likes

Find out half of everything and say here motherfucker you give me this much, for half of it all.

My hubby works. We keep separate accounts because I get a little ssi for my autistic son. He does send me money for some bills but we keep both cards on all the bill accounts

I’m all for separate bills because I have had relationships joint and because I was second sign got messed over

Should u pay more no not unless u male way more. But living together should be any issue to pay half

This is really amazing earning massively from Bitcoin investment with the help of an honest and genuine expert Manager Rochelle Shannon. As a newbie I started with what I could actually afford (starter plan)and to be honest am shocked with the outcome so amazing…to get started click on the link below for more information.

This may sound a little traditional but doesn’t sound like he feels the sense of responsibility being the head of household, and sounds like trust issues. It’s one thing to have separate spending money, but for you to be waiting on him to transfer money to pay bills… something is off, he obviously doesn’t want to be completely honest and open about finances. Marriage is supposed to be about love, trust and each giving 100% to the relationship which includes finances.

2 Likes

Joint account and automatic payments

My fiance pays the mortgage which alone is 1079 plus his truck 300 and about 150 or so in gas a week, I pay electric$280-350 internet $75, phone bill $86, car insurance for 4 cars my sister give me 50 for her car and he gives me 30 for his classic plus we have our 2 daily cars which is $315 disney plus $7.99 Amazon prime $15.99 , my own car payment $225.32. And I have a credit card limit of $250 in case i need extra and i pay on that about $70 or so each monthNow mine and his bills are pretty even if not him paying more but I pay for groceries most of the time say 300 bc we have 5 ppl in our home 3 being kids, I normally get dog food, cleaning supplies, 2 kids their clothes and necessities bc my sons mom helps with my stepson stuff, which is a blessing, plus I buy toilet paper shampoo but he buys his own shampoo, so all in all I pay the same as him if not maybe a little more. We don’t have joint accounts, I do auto pay for everything except my car bc I transfer it over. But autopsy can also make some bills cheaper it gives a discount for some places. My fiance does what he wants with his money but if its over $200 we talk about it. We do things separately for a reason bc of gift buying and such, as we day as long as the bills are paid idc what u do qith ur money after within reason.

We have a joint account. We get paid into our separate accounts and then send over our contribution every month on pay day. Whatever’s left in your bank after that, you can do as you please with.

We also work out our amounts by percentage. So whoever makes more money will end up putting more in the bills but that’s so one of you isn’t always going broke. It works for us

1 Like

I mean maybe tell him you are paying more and show him the documents. If you are paying all the bills with both of yalls $$ he may not know he isn’t doing half. Just a thought.

2 Likes