How do you heal sore nipples from breastfeeding?

Mamas. I need your help. I’m still nursing my 2 y/o and am currently 6 weeks along with my 3rd. My nipples are getting sore and it hurts when he latches. What are some ways to help with the sore nipples? Thanks so much in advance.

10 Likes

No more for him lol time for a big boy cup

20 Likes

You do realize that nursing causes your uterus to contract which can expel your baby or cause premature birth you need to stop ASAP

9 Likes

Have you tried lanolin? Or tried to freeze nursing pads?

3 Likes

Ignore the trolls telling you to stop nursing your 2yo. You are fine.

I’ve heard Lanolin can help?

3 Likes

stop nursing a 2y/o it’s time too make way for the baby you are carrying and what about his teeth nipples are not for teeth ween that boy

17 Likes

First off you are awesome for nursing that long!
Second- Please contact your local hospital lactation consultant. Visit are usually free and they are FULL of great solid advice. I know plenty of people who nursed while pregnant. Ignore the ignorant trolls.

10 Likes

You might think about weaning him. They say nipple stimulation can release oxytocin which causes uterine contractions. I don’t believe its enough to cause issue in a healthy pregnancy but it could be potentially dangerous for a high risk situation. Oxytocin is why women at high risk for preterm labor are put on complete pelvic rest (zero orgasms). It’d be easier to do now than to find out in 12 weeks that you have to cold turkey wean him due to some complications or something. I’m always paranoid as both of my pregnancies were high risk and dramatic.

2 Likes

As much as I hate to feel like a “troll” I’d have to agree, I would stop nursing because I would just feel more comfortable with moving to sippies and things. (I am NOT telling you to stop by no means, it’s just what I would do) and especially if it was causing me pain, that way when the new baby got there maybe it would be easier for him to understand, and not be so jealous. Please dont think I’m a troll. You do what’s best for you and your littles. And congratulations :heart:

5 Likes

Lanotion is always what I used especially when they were cracking and such, stuffs amazing and totally safe to nurse after applying!

I would recommend joining this facebook group and asking there. You will not get anyone telling you to stop breastfeeding. I personally found lanolin to help.

3 Likes

Hm… Go back to your newborn days… what did you use then? I think I used Lanolin cream. But I feel like nothing really helped.

1 Like

Try pumping for a lil bit

I’ve only nursed my 3rd child, so I don’t have any experience with BFing while pregnant, but is it possible you’ve just gotten lazy with your latch? That’s what always causes me discomfort. Something to think about. Also, you should check out “The Milk Meg” here on Facebook. She’s great for reinforcing and normalizing the decision to breastfeed–especially extended. She really cuts through the uneducated bull that you’re seeing here. Good luck!

1 Like

Lanolin can and will help! I had to use it a few times.

Unless you have breastfed or are breastfeeding, please do not comment since you won’t know what you’re talking about. To those saying she should stop breastfeeding, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Breastmilk isnt just vital from birth to one year of age. Every thing in breast milk is still very much needed by children even after they are 1 years old. Not your child, not your choice. Thanks, ladies!!

17 Likes

Would he still nurse with a shield? Also the medela cooling gel patches are SOO relieving

1 Like

Nursing while pregnant can be dangerous because it can put you into early labor…i would think about weening

3 Likes

See a lactation councilor it should not hurt

3 Likes

Take him off the tit!

7 Likes

I would personally start weaning him off. I honestly think every part of our body needs a break before the next baby. I can imagine trying to produce milk and grow the other one at the same time. Must be exhausting.

2 Likes

Wow the ignorant comments on this post are painful to read. I also nursed my son a few months past 2. We ended up weaning when I was 25 weeks pregnant, but that was only because my milk had completely dried up and he was no longer interested. A comment above mentioned a shield which does seem like a great option! It may just take a bit of time to get through the discomfort because it’s likely just related to surging hormones. Coconut oil used to help me at least a little bit :blush:. Congrats mama and great job!!

2 Likes

She is asking suggestions to help her sore nipples. Not your opinions on extended breastfeeding… And just so everyone is aware WHO suggests mothers worldwide to breastfed to 2 years and beyond.

To the OP! Try using a cold compress after nursing, gel pads in your bras and you can use lanolin ointment as well. Or even hand expressing breastmilk and applying it to your nipple can help! :heart:

8 Likes

Actually the WHO recommends BF UP TO 2 years or beyond - not “until” 2 years.

OP Talk to your Dr. and go from there. Maybe you already have? a nipple shield does help a lot as well.

4 Likes

Only breastfed for a couple weeks (milk supply ran out) but lanolin was a lifesaver. And a cool compress soothed too. However if the whole boob is sore i used a warm compress.

buy the kid a sippy cup. he will be going to school soon. his teacher may not want to nurse him

7 Likes

I have no advice to give but due to this ignorant comment section, I applaud you mama! I could only breastfeed my first until 3 months. I would have loved to be able to nurse for 2+ years. You do whatever the fuck you want, everyone else can kiss your ass

2 Likes

As a lot of people have said I agree with lanolin it worked miracles for me, I keep it in our bathroom where it’s colder and it feels great just putting it on .

I’ve used a shield, and it caused my milk to dry up, but maybe since you’re so far advanced in this breastfeeding thing, maybe it won’t happen to you? My fourth was a preemie so she could only use a bottle in nicu and I’ve never been able to pump. It just won’t come out that way for me. So, when I finally got her, she would only latch using the shield, and by the third week, my milk supply started to drop. I tried to switch her to bare nipple but she just wouldn’t take it, and by 2 months, I barely had anything…but since you milk is in full supply, I’d say go for it, maybe just for a few days or so to give them boobies a rest. Lol.

1 Like

Try lanolin. Well done you for managing for so long :relaxed: the hormones from being pregnant is likely making your nipples really sensitive xx

1 Like

Breast tenderness at early pregnancy can be bothersome when your breastfeeding another child for me a last few weeks and then went away them early hormones cause breast tenderness when you’re not nursing so yeah it could be a pain when you are nursing

No suggestions but I nursed my second daughter until about a month before my third daughter was born and it hurt for the first few months.i just dealt with the pain

I was only able to breast feed my first for 2 weeks before my supply ran out, my body just decided it was done. My second I couldn’t at all due to medication I am taking. But with my first the lanolin cream and alternating between hot and cold compresses helped so much. I also hand expressed a little milk and rubbed it around my nipples and let it air dry and that helped too. Ignore the hateful ignorant comments mama. I definitely applaud you for being able to breast feed this far!! I wish I could have. Keep going as long as your son wants to or as long as you can handle it, the only person who should be telling you it’s time to stop is yourself!!

There’s so many judgey moms in this mom group… :frowning: :frowning:

1 Like

I’m 9 mo pregnant w a 6 month old and I remember using ice packs and nipple cream in the first few weeks. However, it doesn’t get better. They’re still just as sore but I dealt and deal with it. Sadly. It becomes your norm :slightly_smiling_face:

Lanolin or coconut oil. Maybe try cutting back nursing during the day to give your nips a little break. Try nursing at nap time, bedtime and not through out the whole day.

Lanolin nipple balm helps! Apply it before breastfeeding and after

This happened to me too at the beginning of my pregnancy with my 4 month old, my 2 yo was still nursing. A lot of women experience breast tenderness, it goes away,or lanolin if its chapped nipples.

Figures all the ignorant comments are from the U.S…only place where breastfeeding is taboo smh

Nursing can be dangerous while pregnant I would start a wein and get him off asap u need all ur energy for the pregnancy I’m sure he will survive at 2 it’s time

3 Likes

Personally I think I would wean at that point. Pregnancy can cause breast tenderness in many women, so I really don’t think there is going to be a fix for it as long as you are pregnant. Weaning will also help avoid any possible jealousy issues when you inevitably will have a toddler who may want to feed every time the baby does. I would break the habit now as opposed to telling a 2 year old they cannot eat every 2-3 hours when the newborn needs your full attention.

Pumping may also be another option if you really want to keep the toddler on breastmilk a while longer. You may be able to better tolerate pumping when you can control the suction and positioning. And this would also avoid potential jealousy/rivalry over your breasts if the toddler is getting his boobjuice another way.

1 Like

My question is why are you nursing a two year old all my kids were drinking from a glass at one

2 Likes

Continue breastfeeding. You will get use to the sore nipples and eventually find something that will help. Sometimes it sucks but it’s the best thing for babies. I personally couldn’t use anything on my breast when they’d get sore. I had to squeeze some milk out and the end let it dry and that helped. I have been told breastmilk heals a lot of things and I believe this is true.

Also I read that your body produces extra antibodies for your toddler which will help him/her from getting sick. :smiley:

First of all : the child is too old to be breast fed , ween that toddler or when the new baby comes you want be able to breast fed a newborn and a 2 year old , I’m not judging , this is just my opinion ,

2 Likes

Ask your OB. I thought pumping or BF while pregnant could result in premature labor

Lanolin should be my advice