How do you know it's time to end a relationship?

Feeling unhappy with my husband.

Ladies! I am so lost as what to do; I find myself losing what I once felt for my husband. We can’t seem to get along anymore unless (TMI, I know) we are having sex. I am no longer happy. I feel so unappreciated and so unloved unless he wants sex. He doesn’t work, he doesn’t cook or clean, and it is like pulling teeth to get him to anything for our children or me. I know deep down that it would be best if i leave him but when I go to he threatens to kill himself and I do not want to see my babies hurting. I have previously thrown him out and was completely done with him. I let him come back to get the rest of his stuff, and my children begged for him to stay. I cried because I was so done with him, but i didn’t want to see my babies hurt and upset, so I let him come back home and made it clear he was only allowed to come back because of the kids. Well, a few years have passed, and for a while, it was great. He helped around the house, he helped with the kids, and he got a job. Fast forward to now, he no longer has a job; he refuses to help clean or cook and barely helps with the kids. I am at my wit’s end. We have talked about getting a divorce when we get our income taxes back and just being civil until then, but that seems to have gone out the window. I asked him to wash dishes while I went to the store this morning and come back and nothing had been done. Seriously, not even one dish had been touched. When I got pissed about it, he proceeded to tell me that I am the lazy one, and I don’t ever do anything around the house but sleep (not real, everyone that knows me knows that I cook almost every single day and my house is cleaned before bed everyday) I cannot take it anymore. I have found myself sleeping in more than usual, and I know it is due to depression because I am not happy. The only thing that brings a sliver of happiness to my life anymore is my kids. Idk what I am really looking for by posting this. Maybe just some support or something. I’m so lost.

67 Likes

He is killing financially and emotionally family if you stay …leave. Maybe he will man up to get his family back. What You allow is what will continue

10 Likes

Leave. Threatening suicide is, more often than not, a scare tactic to get you to stay. Your babies will be sad, but if you tell them that they can still see him, they will adapt. Don’t force yourself to be unhappy.

17 Likes

Stop having sex with him. Start the separation now don’t wait for tax time. Pack his shit and throw him out

Do what’s best for you and the kids… follow your heart :two_hearts:

1 Like

Threatening to kill yourself if someone wants to leave you is a form of manipulation. Its mental abuse. Id tell you to go before it gets worse. People like that dont need a place in your life period. I know it’ll be hard but you can do it, do what is best for YOU. He wont kill himself hes just trying to make you feel quilty so youll stay, dont let him manipulate you. I wont tell you to try to make it work. That behavior is unacceptable from a grown man, you should go on baby, youll feel better when you do. Promise :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

Girl, he got to go.:point_right:

6 Likes

It’s worse for you kids to see you clearly unhappy here. Not to mention it sets a bar for how they should be treated in a relationship. This dude is clearly not worth keeping so just make the move girl. Short term sacrifice for a long term gain.

2 Likes

Kick his butt out! He lives in your place like a guest it sounds like.

3 Likes

I stopped reading at “he threatened to kill himself”

You need to get you and your children out of there NOW. Then call and tell the police he’s threatened to kill himself and needs to be on suicide watch.

DO NOT EVER let someone put that on you!!!

13 Likes

He sounds like he’s depressed himself. If you want to save this relationship, it’s going to be hard work. He’s going to need support and you need to get to the root cause. If not, you should leave. It’s never a good idea to base a relationship on the children. You both deserve better than that x

1 Like

Leave. Him saying he’s going to kill himself is just him manipulating you. It isn’t your job to fix whatever demons he’s fighting. You shouldn’t be miserable. You and your kids deserve to be happy, even if that removes him from the picture as far as you living under the same roof. Speaking from experience, leave before it’s too late.

5 Likes

U need to leave him. Kick him out. He is being emotionally abusive

2 Likes

It may hurt your kids now, but they will grow up and understand. You want your kids to see what love is. Otherwise if you stay,they will see that as normal signs of love.

4 Likes

Your kids deserve to see you happy and to know what true happiness looks and feels like…cuz they will feel it too. You will be better for them if you are happy and content in life! Do what u gotta do to get there. I hope you find your way❤

1 Like

He sounds like a narcissist to be honest. Only thinking about himself and using you for a roof over his head. I’m so sorry its come down to all this. Your children will understand more when they get older. But you have to make you happy. And once you are you children will thrive and grow up knowing you did the best you could with what you had.

2 Likes

Does he reads your FB posts? Blessings.

I only read the first two sentences. Time to leave

1 Like

Maybe offer to get him help for it sounds like depression. Tell him you want him to see a doctor and get some low dose meds. Maybe see a counselor.

2 Likes

Pray an you will have the answer when you feel the peace over come in you to walk away … He won’t hurt him self believe that!!! he just trying to mess with your head protect you mind and your family and stay prayed up, but my opinion walk away while you still can. God bless.

2 Likes

You both can maybe go to counseling. Also, this is not a healthy environment for your children. They will grow to think this is how relationships are supposed to be and not recognize unhealthy relationships. Never stay together for their sake. They will adjust. They will be fine as long as mama is ok! You are the example, mama.

9 Likes

Next time he threatens suicide, call 911 (or if not in the us, use your countries version of emergency services) and have him held for 72 hours

5 Likes

Life is to short to live it being miserable…

2 Likes

Your kids deserve a happy home mama seek therapy for your depression , that’s a very unstable way to live for all of you

3 Likes

Are you working? You said you clean and cook, but didn’t mention a job. Having purpose in life is important. Have either of you received counseling? Sounds like you might need someone to guide you.

5 Likes

He’s got to bounce… Let him threaten suicide’- call 911 when he does
Better yet have officer at the house on standby
You deserve better and depression is no joke

2 Likes

If neither one of you are happy what makes you think the kids are? Better to not be together than to live in sadness everyday. It tends to make you do unreasonable things. Leave now before that happens. For you and your kids sake.

2 Likes

Don’t just stay together for the kids. That’s the worst thing you can do for yourself. I know everyone always says out your kids first but your mental well being should count first because you need to be happy and healthy in order to take care of those children. Your husband sounds like a teenager and I would give him the boot again regardless of the taxes put your foot down pack his things yourself and leave it outside for him. That’s what I would be doing. Your happiness counts too don’t forget that. And if he wants to threaten he is going to kill himself maybe he shouldn’t be around your children then. Mentally unstable because he doesn’t wanna lose you. That is the most selfish thing a man can say, that he will end his life if you don’t stay with him. Your kids will get over it eventually.

1 Like

Counseling for both of you. Individually and as a couple. You don’t want to hurt your kids, but having them live with a dysfunctional marriage, manipulation, and depressed parents is hurting them. Staying like this is hurting them more than a divorce would hurt them.

3 Likes

I understand, went through alot of the same abuse, and it is abuse but you think you are putting up with it for the right reasons.
Or excuse and justify it but your body can’t be fooled and it is going to shut down on you.
It is going to get worse and if you truly want the best for your children then don’t set this as a example of what a relationship is, that being mistreated and used is acceptable.
If he is allowed to do this to you then they will allow their future partners to do this to them.
But be smart and record what is being said and done and go to the doctor and get support networks in place.
Best of luck and it’s not going to be easy, it’s tough but very very important.

2 Likes

You can do bad by yourself! If he’s not bringing anything in to the relationship but pain toss him out… You are doing more harm to the kids by keeping him… He’ll go. Then you start a new pattern with the kids… Good luck!

1 Like

Time to go and one day at a time your kids will be hurt yes but hurt he did nothing to help and that includes them have to give it time to get to that point.

Get him out out out you don’t want your children growing up thinking that it’s ok to stay in a relationship or marriage that isn’t happy just for the kids they will come to accept it and be the normal

I was the same with my kids dad. I tried to leave a few times, he would cry and my oldest would cry. She was 2 my son was 1 so he had no idea what was going on. I finally realized I would rather her hurt a little now, then more later. She was so mad at me for a few days, she would cry and beg and scream but if I had waited then she would have been more use to him being there and it would have been harder on her. My parents split once when I was real young and it didn’t bother me much, when I was 10 they split again and it was so hard on me. They did get back together and stayed together till they died. U knew their dad couldn’t be that person for me, so I left and stayed gone the second time. As my mom told me, first time shame on him, second time shame on you, 3rd time you’re crazy… So I have never given a 3rd chance to anyone

2 Likes

Sounds like he might be depressed as well. Get him to get help for himself before you make a choice you might regret later.

1 Like

Counseling, sounds like depression on both ends. Also, next time he threatens suicide call for help and have him sent to a hospital.

2 Likes

Kick him out for real

1 Like

Get rid od him you are worth so much more

Stop having sex with him and kick him out,u just can’t keep going on like this he needs to help when at home and even has not living in the family home

2 Likes

If youre not happy, and hes not happy, then the kids arent happy either.

It appears you are doing it all on your own anyway so do it all without the extra weight. In general people who are actually going to try to commit suicide dont use it as a weapon. This is a form of manipulation. Kick him out. If he threatens suicide call 911 and get him on a 72 hr hold (suicide watch) and move him out while he’s gone. You’re children will be happier and healthier with a happier and healthier home and mom. You dont want them growing up learning love is how much suffering you can endure. Good luck!

3 Likes

He is using your kids to manipulate you into letting him stay and be a bum IMO. And threatening suicide on top of that. Sounds like that worked b4 so now he just uses it to get out of HIS RESPONSIBILTY TO TAKE CARE OF HIS FAMILY… I’d kick the biggest KID out. And focus on the real kids. Trust me your kids can sense when you are not happy and they want a happy mommy.

I feel your pain and your story is so related it made me cry because i am living almost the same life with the exception of being married. Im sorry for your pain and i hope it gets better. I hope you find your inner strength, i hope we all do.

1 Like

Our kids learn what to accept from a partner by watching us…its is sad but you have to do it for their sake

Youre showing your kids how you let men treat you. So they will look for the same relationship in the future. I don think that is what you want for them. Get rid of him and make your kids happy.

1 Like

Time to move forward! There’s more to bringing kids into this world. Know not only your children’s worth but yours too!!

Kick him out. Your children are children and do not always know what is best for them. They may be upset now but later they will be thanking you, he sounds like a terrible role model and children deserve a happy mom above all else.

And why dosnt he work! A man should take care of their family…period!

2 Likes

Move on honey. You can do better.

1 Like

He will never change! Your kids will later understand! You don’t want them to think its okay to live unhappy! He won’t kill himself it’s just a sad excuse to get you to let him come back(I’ve been there!) sounds like your already doing it on your own… yes it’s hard but at the end you deserve to be happy!

1 Like

Divorce…the kids are worse off with him there. He sounds toxic and clearly you can do it on your own since you pretty much are now

1 Like

Dear, you already know the answer, LEAVE or throw him out, you and your children deserve better!! Been in your shoes, truly shocked when I finally had enough, best decision I ever made!!!

2 Likes

Depression in men is a thing too. You both need counseling. Don’t take his kids from him.

1 Like

Start with comunicating with other men to help with standing there while he packs his stuff get the biker angels in the home , i bet while others are in same room , they’ll be no threats under others there as well , if so any threats . You will have eye witnessses . At this point several will call hot line where as a group , this is group callin where you will not feel alone and No you do not have to do this on your own

1 Like

You are hurting your children more by him being there. You are showing your daughters that’s okay for a man to treat you this way. Your sons are also seeing how a man treats a woman and will continue the cycle. This isn’t good for you or your children

3 Likes

BOOT HIM OUT your hurting your kids more by staying they will know your unhappy do you want your kids thinking its ok to treat people how he treats you

Hang on there ! Why don’t you try marriage counseling before you go and disable your marriage. It is alot harder out there single and then when you bring a stepfather or stepmother into the equation it is more complex. First let’s see why he feels and acts the way he does. Family talking to him also can help invite his parents over and talk about the issues. Why does everyone think divorce, dump him ? Try to find a way through counseling or family to fix it first.

1 Like

I am so sorry you are in this situation. It sounds very unhealthy. I don’t see how y’all are living - a man that won’t work and support his family, no one needs that - clearly he doesn’t care much regardless of what he says, actions speak louder than words. You know what you need to do here, and it will be tough, but you will need to buckle up and kick him to the curb immediately if not sooner and not let him have access to the children except in a very controlled situation where he is unable to use them against you - maybe wait until a court order for visitation is in place - that way he shows up as the scheduled time, takes the children for their visit, you meet him at the door on return and don’t let him come in even, if that is possible. Yes it will be hard for the kids, but in the long run it will be best for them and that is what you need to realize here and stick to your guns. I would get an order for CS too - who cares if he isn’t working right now - let him talk to the judge about why he doesn’t have a job. Good luck!

1 Like

He’s controlling you. Why should you be miserable? You deserve happiness. Your children will be happier too. For u and your children’s sake, get out. What good is he? He doesn’t do anything. You and your children deserve to be happy!

1 Like

I’ve been there and I’ve left!! I didn’t know if life would get easier but it has and I am so happy for the decision I made. I was scared but one night just up and left and never looked back. You have to muster the strength and I promise this will all be in the rear view some day. The kids will be okay . They are resilient… and so are you! Just be very cautious who you choose to bring into your life next. Remember everyone is Best version of themselves when you first meet them. Lots of love your way!

He is trying to manipulate you. Calling you lazy, threatening to kill him self, these are ways to make you doubt your choices or feel like you have done something wrong. You haven’t. He is the one with the ability to change his life for the better and he chooses not to. The children may love him but he is not a good role model for them and staying with him teaches them that unhealthy relationships like this are okay. Would you want your children treated this way by their future partners? Leave now and if they struggle with it, seek out help from a child or family counselor. Let them know that just because you love someone doesn’t mean they are allowed to treat you badly or that you should let them do that.

3 Likes

To be hinest, i think all men say that will do that to themselves if you leave them. Had it said to me about a roundabout, when i was 17, and as a adult again, two different people, You know him, better then other people, so will know if he would go to such lengths. Have you told him how you feel? Have you explained that he needs to start doing equal to you, or get a job etc? Does he ever show affection, when it isn’t just to have sex? I have the same when it comes to the whole no attention etc unless wanting sex. I mean we talk sometimes, he normally likes to just sit and watch the tv, or go on his phone, but he does help when it comes to taking turns cooking, and sometimes cleans up etc. I think that the only way you can figure out whether to leave him or not, is to have a long heart to heart with him. See if he means to be acting that way, or if there could be more to it. How is his mental health? If there is nothing wrong with him and things don’t change, or at least get couples counselling. Then i would say it’s time to end things. You can’t just stay together cause of your children! It will do more damage to your children seeing you miserable and hurt by his actions. Even if they’re small, they still remember everything, when they get older, and it will affect, how they see relationships, and their mental health. Hope things get better for you soon x

You cant stay unhappy just bcuz of ur kids. Yes they will cry, throw fits and even act out in the beginning but they will see that ur happier and eventually accept it. Kick him out. I was able to file for my divorce for free. Check with ur court house about filing as indignant …or a waiver for court fees. The judge will either approve or not. Never hurts to try.

2 Likes

You aren’t "completely " done if you still have sex.

Ultimatums dont matter either if you think youre really done with him, you can get a wife for that. (Him cooking, cleaning gonna change your feelings?)

Kids will get over whatever situation you create for them. Make sure its healthy.

Unless he is disabled, there is no reason why he shouldn’t work to help support his family.

1 Like

Leave anyway… threatening you to kill himself is likely a control mechanism. Leave!!! Won’t work??? What??? What is it that he offers???

2 Likes

Time to talk to the kids so they see it from your point of view and understand why so they can help

Happy mom=happy kids …if you’re not happy, your kids wont be either. You cant put up with it for the kids because the kids are growing up seeing this type of relationship their parents have and think its normal, and grow up to be in shitty relationships because that’s what they seen growing up.

Leave . He has depression and verbally abusive with controlling behavior. Threatening to kill himself as harsh as it sounds you cant control his behavior if he does, that’s on him for what he does.not you
You obviously care or wouldn’t have stayed as long as you did. He isn’t even trying to help himself hes not your child he is supposed to be a partner and parent. To keep a family together everyone needs to chip in.kids be kids. Parents are role models and partners support each other emotionally, spiritually, physically… he sounds like he can’t even be bothered with himself so I’d move on in life .

Narcissism 101: if all else fails, say you’ll kill yourself

2 Likes

You’re married so I would suggest counseling first. He sounds just as depressed as you do. Which depression will take everything out of you. Everyone responds differently. If he’s not willing to seek help or compromise then you need to remember that if yall aren’t happy together that’s not going to keep your family happy as a whole. Kids can adjust, it’s not easy. But you living in an environment that emotionally draining you is not going to make anything better. Children can sense that. The kids can see him outside of the house. He is not being taken from him… I’d hope. But you need to do what you can to save your marriage before divorce is an option. Through thick or thin, that includes severe depression.

4 Likes

Love Dare Book, Fireproof movie

Kick him out. As hard as it is to hear your kids will learn to live without him there. Its more damaging to them living in a in between your toxic relationship with him. And his suicide “threats” are all they are. Just a way to guilt trip you in to letting him stay and not be held accountable for his laziness. You are hurting yourself and your kids more by allowing him to stay

1 Like

Pack up and go, if he doesn’t, you gotta… never stay because of the kids

1 Like

He is verbally and emotionally abusing you. Staying together for the kids only works if both parents can at the very least pretend like nothing is wrong, never fighting in front of the kids etc. You and your kids are better off without him and your kids seeing you happy. Please leave him and get a divorce

1 Like

U kept saying that u know what u need to do so so it. Don’t wait. Judy kick gon out and file for divorce. He won’t kill himself. It’s just a threat to make u keep him around. I’ve heard that one many times

1 Like

Sounds a lot like I was with my ex husband! He rarely worked and didn’t do a thing around the house. I was miserable but stayed BC I thought that that was what was best for our 3 kids.
It took me 11 years to finally realize that life is too short to be that depressed! I kicked him out and he threatened to kill himself. Even called me and told me that he took a whole bottle of pills. So… I called the cops and told them where to find him. Just in case he was telling the truth. He ended up in the pavilion for a couple of weeks. During that time I did go and visit him but I also made it clear that we were done. He begged me to give him another chance but I said no. After he got out of the pavilion he went back to his mom’s house. The kids were devastated and honestly… It was hard… At first. He tried convincing everyone that I was a terrible person that didn’t do anything for him or the kids. He claimed that he was the only one that cleaned, took care of the kids, blah, blah, blah. I just laughed at him BC the people closest to me knew the truth.
It’s been 8 years since I kicked him out and the only thing I regret is that I didn’t kick him out sooner.
People will only do to you what you allow them to do to you.
You and your kids deserve better.

3 Likes

I was a child of a mom that stayed with my dad for me and I wish she didn’t. Now I’m an adult recovering from my childhood… I’m almost 27. They’ve been together about 29 years, still unhealthy and my mom is now stuck and as much as she hates him, she needs him…
do NOT stay with a man because of the kids if it’s unhealthy and he’s not willing to get help and change his ways. It will destroy you

3 Likes

He’s manipulating you by saying he will kill himself and he’s using the kids to gain control over your decision, rather than trying to fix the problem. Sounds like you already know what to do. The kids may be hurt initially but you are their mother not his, and it is your responsibility to make the necessary decisions for your family. Change is hard but your happiness is worth it! Good luck!

2 Likes

yall need to sit and talk… no kids around just you two… explain your at your breaking point that hes back to where he was when you kicked him out… if he threatens to kill himself he dont care for what those kids would feel and make him see that when he says it… its toxic having those kids see whats going on… yes no mom wants her kids to hurt… but… do you want them seeing this and thinking this is how marriage is supposed to be??? you are where your kids get their expectations for life… stop having sex with him and make him understand get your shit together or your going to be kicked back out and getting the kids to beg for you to stay wont work… if you want this family then do the damn work… if he doesnt get it then hunny… you know your answer …

Be nice first, be loving first, and just repeat yourself as many times as it may take before you leave and see if this works. Men don’t function like women do. And they will hardly do anything you want them to do is you aren’t coming from a loving place to begin with.

Do either of you work? How are you making it financially?
If it were me I’d send the kids to a sitter for the weekend, pack his stuff and be done with him. If he threatens to kill himself? 911.
Life is expensive and hard. He’s sitting on his ass letting whoever support him. And your kids are seeing this.
I wouldn’t leave my home and make things more traumatic for my kids. They’re going to need the stability of their home. They come back from the sitter, he’s gone and you explain it to them. Dont drag them through the process.
I dont care if he’s depressed. He needs to take steps to fix himself. You need to do what’s best for your kids and that doesnt include supporting a man that wont help his family.

Stay strong mama! Remember if you’re not happy, the kids really aren’t either :heart:

Him threatening to kill himself is his way of trying to control you.
I would leave.

1 Like

He is a shitty man. Make him leave and never let him come back. Unless you wanna keep going through this. Be strong for your kids. Some day you can explain to them why you made him leave . Live your life and be happy now. Don’t worry about him.

If neither of you are working that’s half the problem. You need to be strong enough to put your house in order. If that means 1 of you leaves for that to happen then so be it. You are not responsible for his well being or happiness. But you are responsible for your children first and foremost. Can you go to the doctor and explain how you are feeling? Maybe a little medication for a while may put you in the best mental health to do what needs to be done. I wish you luck. :pray::blush:

I’ve been here when your children grow up they will resent you for being so weak you stayed

3 Likes

When you threw him out the first time you should have in a way blocked your kids being upset out to get him back out of the house. I’m not sure how old your kids are but you could have explained to them that daddy is gonna stay somewhere else right now. We can see him another day but right now daddy has to go bye bye for a while. I’ve been down the road of threatening to kill himself and more. It’s all a mind trick to guilt you and mess you up. If he’s willing to say that then he needs to leave and get help for himself. You can’t be a good mom if your life is in shambles and your not happy. It’s seems as though you’ve told him what is wrong MANY times and he doesn’t give a damn. If your gonna do it all on your own, money, chores, kids, cook ect you might as well be by your damn self. No need to have a leech around to cause another “child” to care for. And unhappy home will only lead to unhappy kids and parents. Send the kids outside to play and kick his ass out.

Ok. Well clearly if you leave he won’t kill himself, because you’ve separated before and he’s still alive. Clearly he won’t change, because he’s shown you that. So my last question is, do your kids get to decide when they go to bed? Or if they can have dessert? Or if they have to go to school? If not, then why do you allow them to decide if you should be living with your husband? It’s not their choice. Find a friend and move out with the kids. If you can support a household without him working you can afford to move out after being with a friend for a few months. Get the divorce papers drawn up. Or go to a womens shelter if you have no friends or family. It’s hard, but if he wants his kids comfortable he will leave and let you stay in your home. If not, what else is new? It’s all temporary, right?

1 Like

That’s abuse. If someone threatens to kill themselves, because of you leaving, then its abuse! Hes emotionally blackmailing you into letting him carry on being a lazy bugger!
Staying together for the kids doesn’t work. They might miss daddy, but I’m sure they would rather have a happy mummy! You deserve better. Give him an ultimatum ( if a little bit of you even wants to try) that he has a month to get his act together, get a job, and start pulling his weight. That way, if he doesn’t, he cannot bitch that he had no warning! X

Following. I’m in the same boat, except that my husband and I haven’t had sex in almost a year

1 Like

Marital counseling. If he won’t go, go alone.

I think your husband is suffering depression too. Have you ever stopped and counted your blessings ? What faults or problems does he not have ? Marriage does not mean that two people are going to be 100 per cent blissfully happy 100 per cent of the time. Remember the wedding vowels , For better for worse , for richer or poorer. In sickness and in health ? Sometimes it can be tough trying to live by those words . If he is depressed or sick , is it right to abandon him then ? What does that teach your children who love him too? Prayer and the family going to church might help you and your family tremendously . May God bless you and your family.

Sounds very similar to my story… I ended up having to evict my ex husband because like your my ex didn’t work cook watch our daughter he always wanted money to be able to buy car stuff but never fixed mine I worked went to school and took care of our daughter I was scared at first thinking I wouldn’t make it on my own but turns out it was cheaper lol one less mouth to feed he would say I was worthless fat and ugly but when I would try to leave he would say he would kill himself… needless to say we have been divorced 12 years and he is still alive/just as lazy and broke as before

3 Likes

What is an income tax?! I work 60 hrs a week and my husband works 70. I don’t get it how stay around the house and doing nothing is awarded by the taxes WE have to pay. Divorce him and keep the money for you and your kids.

You aren’t doing the kids any favors kick him out whatever he does is not your fault everyone will be happier

1 Like

You’re not helping the kids, you are teaching them its ok to have an unhealthy relationship. I’m not judging, i was there the first year was “good” the next few years I belived him that he was “working on being a better man” then i had my daughter. It was a snowball effect, got prengant with my son and felt stuck… I stayed for the kids… I stayed with him for 16 years. I had friends and family tell me to move on. I did counseling, I was actually hospitalized because of a nervous breakdown and suicide attempt, and stupid me, I stayed and tried. Because he told me he would get better, because he used my children to his advantage a d he convinced me it was all me! I had to realize on my own enough was enough. Hindsight is 20/20. I wish I left a lot sooner. One child had behaviour therapy, the other is in counseling for anxiety. I try not to beat myself up over the past, I choose to learn from it… Also, a year after the split, i started dating, i found a man who treats me like a queen, my children love him and he loves them like his own. For 16 years i believed it was me, i believed that I deserved what i got and that no one could love me, not even myself. In the end, no matter what anyone says, you have to make that decision for yourself, and you have to make that scary life choice.

1 Like

Have you tried a therapist? Also has he had his testosterone checked? Idk how old he is but that being low and lead to guys not wanting to do anything at all and depression. Maybe he is depressed himself? if you have tried these things and everything comes up negative then sure leave him. But I wouldn’t throw away a marriage until I was absolutely positive that there weren’t other issues needing to be addressed that may be causing the behaviors and unhappiness.

It is probably worse for children to be raised seeing the unhealthy dynamic between you and husband. And I would guess you get so drained from it that it must get hard to always be your best you, around children.

Him threatening to kill himself is a form of abuse and control. You deserve to make your happiness a priority. It can be hard on children, but they can probably sense that you are not happy right now. Do what’s best for you.

4 Likes