How do you potty train a boy?

I need potty training advice, please… my first sin was easy; I bought him underwear at 2 when he showed signs of being ready and told him he couldn’t poop or pee in them. He pooped in one pair, and I threw them away, and he was sad and never had another accident. Well, my second son showed signs at two as well. He is now three and still not potty trained… I have been trying a full year this month. When he talks, he knows where to go, what to do, and how to do it, but he just won’t… when he gets done pooping, he goes to the bathroom and says I pooped, and when he pees, he will just change his own cloths I have tried everything I can think of… he will do good for almost a week and then it’s just like he gets tired of doing it so he stops… does anyone have any tips, tricks, ideas, or just advice of what I can do?

2 Likes

Train him like you would train a puppy. Take him to to the potty every 30 minutes or so and make a big deal when he goes!

He’s not ready my first born wasn’t potty trained till about 5 years old, my second born was potty trained by 3 it varies for every kid

3 Likes

Give him treats when he uses the restroom

I used a folders can and cheerios for my boys. He’s gotta aim at the cheerios. He’s probably old enough you can do it in a toilet. I did that when they were almost 2

2 Likes

Have big brother go when he goes. Even if big brother doesn’t have to, younger kids tend to look up to older siblings and copy them. It worked for me

When you have time to be home for a few days just have him be naked. That’s how I trained my boys. When they realized they had to go and no diaper or underwear there to catch it they would panic so I’d take then straight to the toilet. They were scared and hesitant at first, even would hold it in. But when they couldn’t anymore they just went and for 3 days I kept them naked until it just became natural to go to the toilet.

3 Likes

If hes changing his own pee pullup or whatever just take them away for day time it’s just not an option that’s what we did this time he was well into 3 it was just time I cleaned up pee off the floor for a couple days till he completely got it but he did and butts are for bed

I put a ball in the toilet as a fun target for mine to aim at. Xx

The 3 day naked potty training. Put a potty chair in the living room or room the are in the most with you. If you live where you have a private back yard, teaching them to go pee on the weeds you want killed works also. Boys love to pee outside and off the back steps. Girls used to be trained between the ages of 1-2 and boys between the ages of 2-3. But that was back before disposable diapers and pull ups.

We put a sticker chart outside the bathroom. And let him put one on everytime he went pee. Worked great for us.

I used fruit loops or Cheerios and told mine to target practice

1 Like

He’s just lazy us all

I start teaching and associating the potty with the pee sound as early as a year . It is not something you have to wait to start implementing into there life when there ready. But it’s also not something that can be forced no matter how much you try. My daughter was not fully trained till closer to 5 she was lazy and just like her dad

I bought diapers for my son because i was tired of him pooping in his underwear and told him that i bought diapers again (not pullups, diapers) and told him i bought baby diapers and he was trained that week. It took about 3 months and he didnt need pullups at bedtime either. I tried the treats and rewards, taking him every 30 mins. Nothing worked until i told him about the baby diapers

Potty Training Boys :toilet:

I was blessed with living in the country so I taught my son to pee on a tree and off of the porch!

3 Likes

If you are looking for a good tip teach him to pee standing up, Cheerios in the toilet that’s how I taught my son to aim

My first was my tough one and my second was easy. I waited until they were ready oldest was 4 and youngest was just over 3. He just sounds like he’s stubborn and doesn’t care. Maybe try a no accident chart. Start with a week and he gets a prize, then 2 weeks, then 3 weeks, and then a month…hopefully by then he’ll be good.

1 Like

My son is 3 and he uses the toilet to pee but refuses to do #2 in the toilet. He currently uses pull ups for #2 and locks himself in the restroom. When he’s done he will come to me and let me know. What can I do to help him go to the toilet when is #2 .??

1 Like

Consistency!!!

1 Like

My son was pushing 3 and still not potty trained. I (shouldn’t have but did) compared his timeline to my daughters timeline and I was concerned. We tried everything. One day we were in the back yard and he started yelling that he had to pee. I told him to drop his pants and I left him pee into the bushes off of the back porch. We had a privacy fence, so no one could see him. But that started it. The first couple weeks when he had to pee, he would run out the back door and drop his pants. We didn’t have anymore pee accidents after that. Poo was a different story. He would go hide when he had to poo, go in his pants, then come tell me. It was frustrating but basically I followed him around for about 2 weeks and watched for the “hiding” as soon as he would go to hide, I would snatch him up and run to the bathroom with him. Once he started pooping on the potty, he started peeing on the potty. I’ve always been told it’s harder to potty train a boy than a girl and of course every child is different. Try the fruit loop thing… throw a couple fruit loops in the toilet and tell him to aim for them. Make it a game.

1 Like

It may sound mean but when my son pooped his underwear I’d make him wash them out himself. And peeing we let him pee out side and put a potty seat outside on the porch for him while being outside

2 Likes

I have tried all these but peeing outside its not optional at my house. He’s hates being naked so I can’t do that. He’s very modest. The only other thing is diapers I will try that this week. But he knows how to pee and poop in the potty he just won’t do it. When he pees himself he says “that’s bad I need to pee in the potty” but won’t, same with pooping he says that then too. I have him go potty every 30 minutes to an hour and some days it’s a fight bx he says he don’t need to go :unamused:

My oldest didn’t train until nearly 4. He had figured out that training was an interruption in his day that he didn’t like and would rather have diapers. He even changed his OWN diapers when he wanted clean pants, I’d know because he couldn’t do the tapes from the back so they’d be on backwards. :roll_eyes: I get that diapers are expensive and kids should be able to do certain things at certain ages, but when potty training becomes a power struggle it’s better to just let it go. They won’t go to kindergarten in a diaper. (He finally gave up changing himself and switched to big boy pants because he wasn’t allowed to go to preschool until he could go potty.)

2 Likes

Run around naked!

My 2 year old is potty trained but has his days where he doesn’t want to stop what he’s doing to go and we just let him run naked. He sure runs to the potty if he knows he has nothing there to catch it!

3 Likes

Consistency on your part. Take him every 30 minutes then stretch to 40 and so on. Everytime u leave home make him go. Don’t ask do u need to go say its time to go and take him. Accidents will happen either way.

1 Like

Get him a potty watch. My youngest thought it was the coolest thing ever. You can google them.

I’m from the south so this is normal for us lol but have him go “paint” a tree with his pee. Seemed to work for us.

Run around naked worked well for us with positive reinforcement. Also, Daniel Tiger has an episode on potty training and stopping playing when you have to go. I think you can find it on YouTube. Set a timer for every 30 mins-1hr during the day and he has to go or at least try every time it goes off. Go from there. Good luck!

1 Like

Been thru it with my youngest. My oldest was soo easy. My almost 4yr old just finally got it.

I used a few fruit loops in the bowl to teach my son with. There was also a treat (smarties candy) when he used the toilet. The candy was only for that, no other time. It was “potty candy” only. I made sure the Grandparents had some at their homes and always had a few in my purse so that wherever we went, the smarties were available. You can used anything you know is their fave, I just stayed away from chocolate so I wouldn’t have melting issues and also, the smarties I could just give some from the rolls each time and seal up rest back in the little roll they come in. I also found it so much easier to potty train in warm weather and had them in just t shirt and underwear while home . I used cloth underwear also so that they could feel the discomfort of it when done in their pants. Pull ups are great for travel and such but I felt that they would encourage not discourage the event.